+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 233 FirstFirst ... 22 47 62 70 71 72 73 74 82 97 122 147 172 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 4654

Thread: Best Character Writer of the Week: Tufto

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: Rome

Congratulations General_BT, I'm only on Chapter II but as it looks now you'äve definitely deserved it!
    Stand up, all victims of oppression,
    For the tyrants fear your might!
    Don't cling so hard to your possessions,
    For you have nothing if you have no rights!
    Let racist ignorance be ended,
    For respect makes the empires fall!
    Freedom is merely privilege extended,
    Unless enjoyed by one and all.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

Blog Entries
    Congratulations General. If the thing wasn't so long, i would endeavour to catch up. I fear at the speed i read, you would be done with it before i did.

Sons of Santiago - Restored Narrative AAR for Victoria II

Last Update: 25/09/2012

-------------------------------------------------
    The Inkwell - All my, and many others, AARs in one place!
    I've Been Canonized! and made Patron Saint of TimeTravellers

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Rise of PrussiaEU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

945 (EU3, Michigan) in between palm and ring finger
    Blog Entries
    Congrats BT, I don't even know what more to say
    EU3 Save Suite - your one stop shop for everything related to EU3 savegames.

I want you to contribute to great tools developed for Paradox. See this thread. Help with the parsing or with creating an EU4 Savegame editor

Think you're the best EU3 player? Check out the EU3 Hall of Fame
    Dealt: A polish colonel deals his last hand
    The Swiss Account: The average documentation of the stereotypical Swiss.
    "Cheese ages better than women but money is forever." - Davout
    EU3 Hurt and Heal Archive

Blasted Conniving Roman General_BT's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Wow... third time? First, I'd like to thank Actinguy for this honor - I've been really bad, and I haven't kept up on your AAR, I'm going to try my best after this latest round of papers and writing is over with to do so!

At the risk of sounding like an Oscar acceptance speech gone too long, I would like to thank two groups.

First, I'd like to thank everyone from AARland, for making this such a welcoming place for those of us who like writing, be it serious attempts at fiction or whimsical stories that make us laugh. Without such a welcoming place, I doubt I would've had the courage to make my first AAR post almost a year ago.

Second, I'd like to thank my readers! Very simply put, my AAR really is a living, breathing thing, in that the comments, suggestions and criticisms from the readers inform my writing and the characters within. I won't go into an individual list of people who have personally dropped ideas over the last year (as I don't want to leave someone out), but it is easy to say at least half the the brilliant (or half-witted, depending on your point of view) ideas for characters and what they would do in my AAR have come from readers responses and input. Manuel wouldn't have been nearly the bastard, nor Basil nearly as chivalrous, without reader comment and input. In short, without my readers, the story of the Komnenids would be simply an empty shell.

Um... so what is Rome AARisen? Byzantine politics and backstabbing (with th e occasional hashashin assassination) at its best, or as close to such as I can get, all spread over 114 year time span (as of now). What follows below is a little taste of some of the characters and craziness that's gone on:

Demetrios Komnenos "Megas"

Founder of the Komnenos dynasty of Byzantine Emperors. A conqueror of legendary proportions, both on the battlefield (in a 45 year reign, lost only 2 battles), and in terms of the ladies (3 sons, 4 bastards, and 6 daughters). He builds the Byzantine Empire to new levels of greatness, but through his fractious (and enormous) family lays the seeds of its possible destruction...

Nikolaios Komnenos

Son of Demetrios "Megas." Has the minor difficulty of being gay in the Middle Ages. Has no legitimate heirs, and is constantly being undermined by his siblings who feel they are more deserving of a piece of the Imperial pie. Will his secret stay safe? Or will family machinations bring him to ruin?

Manuel Komnenos "Arachni"

Second youngest son of Demetrios "Megas." Shows an unnatural interest in poisons and assassinations, and takes glee in playing rival factions and siblings off of each other. Will he succeed into the Imperial purple? Or will his schemes bring the Empire war and destruction?

Basilieos Komnenos

Even in the greatest den of thieves, there is occasionally an honorable man. Basil Komnenos is a fervent believer in chivalry, honor, and "fair play." Yet, is it possible for someone to have such a code, don the purple, and survive the deadly political game of Constantinople? Even more, what happens to such a man when his own sons are as vicious and violent as he is temperate and courtly?

So, with that taste out of the way, I'd like to thank Actinguy and everyone else once again, and rest assured, I'm going to be spending the next week scouring for the next CharacterWritAAR of the Week! If you're looking for a bigger taste of the characters, at the urging of a couple readers I'm slowly building a list of major characters from the inception of the story to our present position. Go check it out!
    Awards
    My AARs:
    The Good One - Rome AARisen, a Byzantine AAR (Third map epilogue, 5-02-2012!)
    Table of Contents
    The Funny One (In Theory): Vikan Vojislavljevic is a Fool (Dead)
    The HOI2 One (Dead): Two Alexanders: Greece in the Age of Conflict (HOI2-Doomsday)
    The Teenage Girl One: Dear Diary, by Helene Palialogos (NEW UPDATE 06-10-10!)

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3

Congratulations, General_BT!
    Return to Glory: A Germania AAR
    WritAAR of the week for the week of 6-10-07, Favorite New Writer Overall for Q2 2007, Best Character Writer of the Week 7-18-08

The Grand Duchy of Hesse-Darmstadt: A History

53 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaEUIV: Art of War

Yaya, go Basil!

Everyone loves 24 martial!

And gratz general!

The Father of AARland Lord Durham's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Congratulations!
    Current AAR: The Sons of Ragnar Lodbrok: In the Shadow of the Great Old Ones

Follow the link to read The Pariah. For more Lovecraft style horror, try The Crane Horror and my Holmes/Lovecraft story The Case of the Galloway Eidolon. All are free to read in the Lovecraft eZine.

Available: The Saglek Incident in the anthology Sha'Daa: Pawns and Witiko in the anthology Bigfoot Terror Tales: Vol 1

Also: Plains of Hell in the anthology Lawyers in Hell & Colony in the anthology Rogues in Hell, continuing the HUGO award winning Heroes in Hell series, edited by Janet Morris

For a complete list of my AARs go to The Ink Well. Visit my Website for news, reviews and story excerpts.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Congratulations General_BT! Very well deserved! Your characterisation in Rome AARisen is something to strive for!
    'What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an Angel, in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals! And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust?

Faith in Humanity Meter - ||||||||||
    The Ink Well

Romanorum Imperator Augustus asd21593's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

Congrats, General_BT!

Well-deserved!

asd
    My AAR Library
    -not writing at the moment-

Crazy Reactionary crusaderknight's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2

Congrats, BT! Well done!
    ++ Member of the Christian Paradox Players Club ++
    Honorary Byzantine
    I was canonized!
    See my AARs at the Ink Well
    Active AARs:
    Fresh Blood on Ancient Soil - A Saga of the Scottish Kings of Aquitaine - NEW UPDATE: 21/02/2013
    The Morea, A Palaeologid AAR - Last update: 22/7/2011
    Regnum Iudaeorum - The Lost Ten Tribes of Israel - 4x Winner of the AARland Choice AwAARds - Last update: 22/7/2011

Remembering Steve Irwin (1962 - 2006) we will miss you, Steve.

Crazy Cat Person. Meow! Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    61 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Congrats BT!

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

Blasted Conniving Roman General_BT's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Well, it looks like its time to pass the CharacterWritAAR of the Week award on. So, in my scouring, I've found far too many eligible candidates to list - crusaderknight, Snugglie, frogbeastegg, the list goes on and on. So, to narrow the field down, I also made a goal to hand the award to someone deserving who has never won this award before.

So, after some long deliberation (and some 'liquid refreshment' at the local bar), I've come to a decision. This author's characters range from the drunken, often incompetent King Guy, to his scheming wife Sibylla. Personally, however, my two favorites are honest, upstanding King Godfrey II, and his onetime lover/resident vixen, Queen Frederica of Egypt. Both are drawn in a compelling, vivid manner, and in Godfrey's case, changing and growing before the reader's eyes. So, without further ado, I would like to present the next CharacterWritAAR of the Week, AlexanderPrimus, and his AAR: Chronicles of the Golden Cross!

AP, take a bow!
    Awards
    My AARs:
    The Good One - Rome AARisen, a Byzantine AAR (Third map epilogue, 5-02-2012!)
    Table of Contents
    The Funny One (In Theory): Vikan Vojislavljevic is a Fool (Dead)
    The HOI2 One (Dead): Two Alexanders: Greece in the Age of Conflict (HOI2-Doomsday)
    The Teenage Girl One: Dear Diary, by Helene Palialogos (NEW UPDATE 06-10-10!)

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment
    Congratulations AP ! Very well deserved !
    DANGEROUS LIAISONS
    The New Short AAR about Seduction , Manipulation , Intrigue , Mystery , and Revolution .
    -~= =~-
    T I M E L I N E S : What if Spain Failed to Control the World?
    Seventeen AARLand Choice Awards: Favourite Overall New WritAAR Q1 2007.
    Favourite Overall EU3 AAR: Q1 2007; Q2 2007; Q3 2007; Q4 2007; Q1 2008; Q2 2008; Q3 2008; Q4 2008
    Favourite Narrative EU3 AAR: Q1 2007; Q2 2007; Q3 2007; Q4 2007; Q1 2008; Q2 2008; Q3 2008; Q4 2008

Three Times WritAAR of the Week: 4 March 2007 13 May 2007 & 28 March 2008;
    Twice AAR Showcase: 9 Dec 2007, 14 Jun 2009; Twice Best Character Writer: 9 Dec 2007, 13 Sep 2008

Editor in Chief of The AARlander

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

Blog Entries
    Congratulations AlexanderPrimus!

Sons of Santiago - Restored Narrative AAR for Victoria II

Last Update: 25/09/2012

-------------------------------------------------
    The Inkwell - All my, and many others, AARs in one place!
    I've Been Canonized! and made Patron Saint of TimeTravellers

The Father of AARland Lord Durham's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Congrats!
    Current AAR: The Sons of Ragnar Lodbrok: In the Shadow of the Great Old Ones

Follow the link to read The Pariah. For more Lovecraft style horror, try The Crane Horror and my Holmes/Lovecraft story The Case of the Galloway Eidolon. All are free to read in the Lovecraft eZine.

Available: The Saglek Incident in the anthology Sha'Daa: Pawns and Witiko in the anthology Bigfoot Terror Tales: Vol 1

Also: Plains of Hell in the anthology Lawyers in Hell & Colony in the anthology Rogues in Hell, continuing the HUGO award winning Heroes in Hell series, edited by Janet Morris

For a complete list of my AARs go to The Ink Well. Visit my Website for news, reviews and story excerpts.

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: Rome

Congratulations AlexanderPrimus!
    Stand up, all victims of oppression,
    For the tyrants fear your might!
    Don't cling so hard to your possessions,
    For you have nothing if you have no rights!
    Let racist ignorance be ended,
    For respect makes the empires fall!
    Freedom is merely privilege extended,
    Unless enjoyed by one and all.

Romanorum Imperator Augustus asd21593's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

Congrats, AlexanderPrimus!

asd
    My AAR Library
    -not writing at the moment-

Crazy Cat Person. Meow! Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    61 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Congrats AP!

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

Honourable Saxon Thegn AlexanderPrimus's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Rome

Talking

My goodness, this is quite an honor!

Firstly, I'd like to personally thank General_BT for his consideration in bestowing this award upon me. He is both a highly skilled writer and a good friend, not to mention my AARland mentor, if you will.

Second, I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to my AAR in one way or another: those who offer suggestions or comments, those who encourage me in my writing, and finally my readers. You have all helped keep my story going.

So for those of you who are unfamiliar with my AAR, I had better explain Chronicles of the Golden Cross just a little bit.

The story begins in 1186, at the commencement of King Guy's reign, in the crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem. The first generation of characters, such as Queen Sibylla and Reynald de Chatillon, are based on real historical people. I have simply tried to interpret them in a new and interesting manner. The upcoming generation, however, is a mixture of new characters and widely reinterpreted ones.

For the sake of example, I'll use BT's favorite characters. Godfrey II is a brand new character, the youngest child and only son of King Guy and Queen Sibylla. Historically, Sibylla died of an illness before she could give birth to a son, but given the counter-factual nature of the AAR, in my timeline she survived to bear a son. Godfrey has developed and grown throughout the story from an easily manipulated young prince to an upstanding, stalwart young king. The future holds many twists and turns for him.

Frederica of Egypt, on the other hand, is based very loosely on the historical Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II. However, in my timeline, this character was born a female, and is thus removed from the German succession. Through a complex series of events, she becomes the Queen of a new crusader Kingdom of Egypt. She is just as sensual and religiously ambivalent as the real Frederick, but her feminine wiles make her much more deadly.

In conclusion, I would like to once again thank everyone very much for your support, and in a week's time I shall announce the next recipient of the Character WritAAR of the Week awAARd!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 233 FirstFirst ... 22 47 62 70 71 72 73 74 82 97 122 147 172 ... LastLast