+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 231 FirstFirst ... 21 46 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 96 121 146 171 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 4605

Thread: Best Character Writer of the Week: Andre Massena

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

She'll kill you all!

Not me coz' I say 'gratz!'

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment
    Congratulations Actinguy !
    DANGEROUS LIAISONS
    The New Short AAR about Seduction , Manipulation , Intrigue , Mystery , and Revolution .
    -~= =~-
    T I M E L I N E S : What if Spain Failed to Control the World?
    Seventeen AARLand Choice Awards: Favourite Overall New WritAAR Q1 2007.
    Favourite Overall EU3 AAR: Q1 2007; Q2 2007; Q3 2007; Q4 2007; Q1 2008; Q2 2008; Q3 2008; Q4 2008
    Favourite Narrative EU3 AAR: Q1 2007; Q2 2007; Q3 2007; Q4 2007; Q1 2008; Q2 2008; Q3 2008; Q4 2008

Three Times WritAAR of the Week: 4 March 2007 13 May 2007 & 28 March 2008;
    Twice AAR Showcase: 9 Dec 2007, 14 Jun 2009; Twice Best Character Writer: 9 Dec 2007, 13 Sep 2008

Editor in Chief of The AARlander

Actinguy sits in the lobby's bar, drowning his sorrows in a glass of stale pretzels, when he hears through the venue's speakers:

"AND THE WINNER OF BEST CHARACTER WRITER OF THE WEEK...ACTINGUY!"

Actinguy takes another sip of pretzels, choking momentarily. "Hearing things, I am," he thinks in his best Yoda-impersonating-voice-within-his head.

"Too salty, this drink is," he adds as an after thought, thinking afterly.

"ACTINGUY! COME ON DOWN!"

"Talking to you, he is."

"Oh...OH!"

Actinguy leaps from the bar stool, accidently spilling his pretzley drink into a portly man's lap. He apologizes profusely, attempting to mop up the mess with a napkin, before the event's ushers locate him and drag him towards the stage.

"Uh...uh, boy. Wow. Thank you! Thank you everyone! I'd like to thank my commenters, of course...to name a few...uh...

"Enewald. His hatred of verbs brings joy to us all. Phargle, who's recent parody of The Butterfly Device in his AAR surely brought us a tiny fraction of his bajillion readers. Slinky, who as I speak, is even now helping me craft better action scenes. Qorten, who continues to read despite my best efforts to banish him. The Executer, who actually comes to our tale for incestual advice. Our two royal readers, Prinz Willhelm and Lord Cowles. And, of course, Snugglie. Through him, all awards are possible. And, I can't forget...uh...really? I only have eight readers? Are you freaking kidding me? Why am I writing this crap when I only have..."

Hehe. Thank you all so much! I see tradition has us talk a little about our AAR, especially the characters. Fun!

"The Butterfly Device" is a time-travel tale...but (I hope) with a twist. When the lead designer of a time-travel device, intended for the tourism industry, disappears into the past, the rest of his team is forced to turn to the American government for funding in an attempt to find him. This, of course, will cause major problems later in the story.

In an attempt to learn more about the past, the team sends back a butterfly, with a microchip that can gather data about the time-travelling trip. Unfortunately, this butterfly appears at exactly the wrong time, causing the French County of Guines to enter a (sometimes comical) trail of tragedy.

A bit about some of the main characters seen so far:

Baldwin de Guines - The Count of Guines at the beginning of the story. The butterfly causes him to strike his head, when he hears a voice prophecy "She'll kill them all." His attempts to stop the prophecy from coming true see him betrayed, dethroned, and locked away in a dungeon by his own wife and brother.

Reinel de Guines - Baldwin's brother, forced to lock away Baldwin for his own good and the good of the county. But he is backed into a corner by Baldwin's marshal, which has a tragic result.

Osbern de Guines - Just ten years old when he inherits the throne, Osbern has known much tragedy in his life...yet he attempts to keep a bright outlook on life and insist the prophecy isn't true...despite the fact that he has lost an ear, had his throat slit, fallen into a fire, been garottined, was stabbed in the heart, and had his entire castle literally collapse on top of him. So far.

Annelies of Yperen - The tragic bride of Count Baldwin. A misunderstanding causes Baldwin to believe Annelies is the prophecied killer...but she thinks it could be Matilda.

Matilda le Blount - Osbern's young cousin, who is deadly with a blade...and even deadlier with her mind. Her motivations have not yet been revealed, but she definitely has her own thoughts about the string of deaths in Guines. She worships Annelies, but has a love/hate relationship with Osbern.

Robert de Guines - Osbern's young brother, currently lost at sea after having fought off a pirate attack AND a shark. His is a journey of growth, seeing the world from a unique perspective, as the only main character who has never heard of the prophecy.

Juvenal Quentis - The lead designer of The Butterfly Device, he insisted he would be the first to try it out...only to discover there was no way to get back. Little is known so far about Juvenal, except that he is cunning, strong, and can think on his feet. He was last seen using both ancient and modern information in an attempt to find the Holy Grail, so that he could gain immortality and live until 2014 (his home time), but literally disappeared on a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea.

Anyhow, thanks again to Snugglie and the rest! And I hope you'll enjoy the next chapter of...

THE BUTTERFLY DEVICE
    Last edited by Actinguy; 07-08-2008 at 18:43.
    Best Character Writer of the Week - 07 AUG 08 - "The Butterfly Device"
    Best Character Writer of the Week - 02 SEP 09 - "The Butterfly Device"

ONGOING:

The Butterfly Device: A Grand Campaign (Tale of a single butterfly sent back to the crusades in an attempt to save the world from prophecied murderesses, and the men who love them. Also, I have a habit of turning my readers into characters in the story. So check it out!)

NOP-field present Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    57 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    ImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings Crusade
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Naval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More Edition

Extrememly many very deserved congrats Actinguy!

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Hehe, the best speech so far seen!

8 readers, 8 loyal knights in the service.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

Blog Entries
    Why couldn't Yoda make the speech? Congratulations Actinguy!

Sons of Santiago - Restored Narrative AAR for Victoria II

Last Update: 25/09/2012

-------------------------------------------------
    The Inkwell - All my, and many others, AARs in one place!
    I've Been Canonized! and made Patron Saint of TimeTravellers

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Hooray for Actinguy!

It must be noted that he has an unfair advantage in character writing. Killing off characters over and over gives you more characters to write.

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Rise of PrussiaEU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

945 (EU3, Michigan) in between palm and ring finger
    Blog Entries
    congratulations Actinguy. I have personally ventured into your AARs, and I do agree with the deserved award.

But now I need a constant reminder to read snugglie's or I may forget!
    EU3 Save Suite - your one stop shop for everything related to EU3 savegames.

I want you to contribute to great tools developed for Paradox. See this thread. Help with the parsing or with creating an EU4 Savegame editor

Think you're the best EU3 player? Check out the EU3 Hall of Fame
    Dealt: A polish colonel deals his last hand
    The Swiss Account: The average documentation of the stereotypical Swiss.
    "Cheese ages better than women but money is forever." - Davout
    EU3 Hurt and Heal Archive

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by comagoosie
    congratulations Actinguy. I have personally ventured into your AARs, and I do agree with the deserved award.

But now I need a constant reminder to read snugglie's or I may forget!
    I can send you a reminder every week if you want.

Nice speech Actinguy! Now enjoy your week!
    Stand up, all victims of oppression,
    For the tyrants fear your might!
    Don't cling so hard to your possessions,
    For you have nothing if you have no rights!
    Let racist ignorance be ended,
    For respect makes the empires fall!
    Freedom is merely privilege extended,
    Unless enjoyed by one and all.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Congratulations!
    Faith in Humanity Meter - ||||||||||
    The Ink Well

Let's Play M&B Warband 1257AD!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3

Congratulations, Actinguy!
    Return to Glory: A Germania AAR
    WritAAR of the week for the week of 6-10-07, Favorite New Writer Overall for Q2 2007, Best Character Writer of the Week 7-18-08

The Grand Duchy of Hesse-Darmstadt: A History

The Father of AARland Lord Durham's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Congratulations Actinguy! (must stop placing an 'o' between the 't' and 'i'... must...)
    Current AAR: The Sons of Ragnar Lodbrok: In the Shadow of the Great Old Ones

Follow the link to read The Pariah. For more Lovecraft style horror, try The Crane Horror and my Holmes/Lovecraft story The Case of the Galloway Eidolon. All are free to read in the Lovecraft eZine.

Available: The Saglek Incident in the anthology Sha'Daa: Pawns and Witiko in the anthology Bigfoot Terror Tales: Vol 1

Also: Plains of Hell in the anthology Lawyers in Hell & Colony in the anthology Rogues in Hell, continuing the HUGO award winning Heroes in Hell series, edited by Janet Morris

For a complete list of my AARs go to The Ink Well. Visit my Website for news, reviews and story excerpts.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition500k club

Congrats Actinguy.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Victoria 2

Many congratulations, Actinguy.
    I'm smart enough to know that I'm stupid
    Member of the ahistoric association
    My Hebrew Uganda AAR!- Weekly AAr showcase, 26-07-2007! - Winner, Best HoI Narrative AAr Q4 2007. Over & done with. Kinda completed.
    Fan of the Week, 12-8-07; and 12-10-08
    Earned a Kiss on the Cheek for Participation in the Trial of Fijj
    Fijj also gave me this moldy cookie for guessing his name-

200k clubHoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Congratulations Actinguy
    EUIII AAR: The lilies of France
    Awarded Best Character Writer of the Week 25. Feb 2007
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 22. April 2007

HoI2 AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller – A Norwegian AAR
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 25. Sept 2005
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 25. Jan 2006
    Awarded Fan of the Week 26. March 2006, 7. October 2007 and 10. November 2008
    Boer War AAR: Joe’s War- a Boer War AAR

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Congrats!
    The Memoirs of Santiago Nadal: A Mexico AAR
    The User Created Nations Mod: The only mod where you play with countries created by the EU3 community! Come and try it!

Europa Universalis III LibrAARian
    My Inkwell, in case you want to read one of my works or future projects.
    Every day with you girl is sweeter than the day before.
    No era penal...

And thus ends the most prestigious week in the history of Best Character Writer of the Week.

Thanks again to everyone for the congratulations, especially those who have stuck around even when I stopped killing off characters for a brief period. ;c)

Anyhow...choosing a successor was very difficult. I only read a few AARs...for I hold other authAARs to a much higher standard than I hold myself. Unfortunately, each of these AuthAARs has already won a half dozen awards each, so I set off to find an undiscovered authaar.

I went through pages of Crusader Kings, Vicky, EU, HOI, Rome...I even ducked my head into the apparently abandoned AARs from Diplomacy.

Yet, no matter where I looked, I found myself returning to the same story time and time again, unable to get enough of the characters within. So...although he has already won the award before, I would like to congratulate the super best character writer...not just of the week...but, indeed, of the world:

Actinguy, for his "The Butterfly Device."

Congratulations, me!

ONGOING:

The Butterfly Device: A Grand Campaign (Tale of a single butterfly sent back to the crusades in an attempt to save the world from prophecied murderesses, and the men who love them. Also, I have a habit of turning my readers into characters in the story. So check it out!)

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

Blog Entries
    A little nagging in my Brain somehow things that might be against the rules

Sons of Santiago - Restored Narrative AAR for Victoria II

Last Update: 25/09/2012

-------------------------------------------------
    The Inkwell - All my, and many others, AARs in one place!
    I've Been Canonized! and made Patron Saint of TimeTravellers

What? I'm not allowed to do that?

You should really specify that in the rules. Otherwise, it just doesn't seem fair.

Hehe. Anyhow, as I was saying, there are few AARs that I read dedicatedly (fun new word!), and these are truly the best of the best. But each offers something specifically unique. One, I read for the off-the-wall humor. One I read for the crazy amounts of research. One, frankly, I just look at the pretty pictures.

But only one makes me return and return to see what happens next for the specific characters.

And that authaar...despite having won the award twice already...is General_BT for "Rome AARisen: A Byzantine AAR".

Congrats, General!
    Last edited by Actinguy; 14-08-2008 at 10:00.

ONGOING:

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment
    Congratulations ! Very well deserved !
    DANGEROUS LIAISONS
    The New Short AAR about Seduction , Manipulation , Intrigue , Mystery , and Revolution .
    -~= =~-
    T I M E L I N E S : What if Spain Failed to Control the World?
    Seventeen AARLand Choice Awards: Favourite Overall New WritAAR Q1 2007.
    Favourite Overall EU3 AAR: Q1 2007; Q2 2007; Q3 2007; Q4 2007; Q1 2008; Q2 2008; Q3 2008; Q4 2008
    Favourite Narrative EU3 AAR: Q1 2007; Q2 2007; Q3 2007; Q4 2007; Q1 2008; Q2 2008; Q3 2008; Q4 2008

Three Times WritAAR of the Week: 4 March 2007 13 May 2007 & 28 March 2008;
    Twice AAR Showcase: 9 Dec 2007, 14 Jun 2009; Twice Best Character Writer: 9 Dec 2007, 13 Sep 2008

Editor in Chief of The AARlander

+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 231 FirstFirst ... 21 46 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 96 121 146 171 ... LastLast