+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 232 FirstFirst ... 3 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 53 78 103 128 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Character Writer of the Week: OConnor

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Victoria 2

congrats
    You can do anything if you want it badly enough. That's why we see so many people who can fly.

Check out my AARs:

The French Century - A Ricky AAR 1836- Ongoing
    Hmm... another Russian AAR? (Finished)
    The Duchy of Pskov 1066- Prematurely ended due to a hard drive crash

Thanks all of you for your support and recognition.

I am surprised my self to see how long this thread has been running.

When I started this AAR, I started by designing characters. I wrote out their main characteristics on paper.
    Of course I had some vague idea of a plot and a setting, but I had the actual development of the story influenced by the characters of the three main persons, what happened in the game, and the postings of the readers.

Again, thanks to all of you for your congratulations!
    Callum was intrigued by two men working on a country road. One man would dig a hole two or three feet deep and then move on. The other man came along 25 feet behind and filled in the hole. "Hold it, hold it," Callum said to the men. "Can you tell me what's going on here?"
    "Well, we work for the county," one of the men said.
    "But one of you is digging a hole and the other fills it up. You're not accomplishing anything. Aren't you wasting the county's money?"
    "You don't understand, mister," one of the men said, leaning on his shovel and wiping his brow. "Normally there's three of us: me, Hugh and Willie. I dig the hole, Hugh sticks in the tree and Willie here puts the dirt back. Now just because Hugh's sick, that don't mean that Willie and me can't work."

Hazah for EU1! Hazah!

Congrats Paul! I've been waiting for you to get WritAAR of the Week for a long bloody time.
    This dude still kinda looks a little like Hitler, but not as much.

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

It's been some time since I've had time to drop by, so I must apologize!

Congratulations to Coz1, Lord E and CitizenPaul (and anyone else I've missed!)!

CitizenPaul, I have to admit -- I'm always very impressed when I see EU 1 AARs updating, and I do see you and yours at the top of that list very often! Great work!

Rensslaer

p.s. Did anyone mention you're supposed to pick a successor?
    Serenity - (V2 v1.3) - An isolationist Japan tries to stay out of everybody's way (Updated July '13)
    Kriegsgefahr (Impending War) - (HOI3/SF/HPP) - Germany attempts to remain at peace! (Updated Apr '13)
    Locarno - Italy vs. Germany (HOI3/SF/HPP) - What if Mussolini stood with France against Hitler?
    The Die is Cast (Roman Civil War) - Caesar will make a name for himself! (Updated June '12)
    Império Novo - An Axis Portugal AAR for HOI 3 (Updated May '13)
    Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian Victoria 1 AAR (Awarded the VictAARian Cross for Jan-Jun 2006)
    Castles In the Sky (Vicky 1) * Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR (EU III) (Updated May '13) * I Am Siam (V2 Minor) (tied for Silver VictAARian Cross for Best AAR completed in 2011) * A Long Time Ago... (HOI 1 Argentina)* Check Rensslaer's Inkwell! (list of online writings)

(Interim Avatar)
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome

that time has come for a new successor.
    The Ebony Cross and the Sacred Eagle (Ongoing)
    ---Favorite History-Book AAR, Eu3 (Q2 2008)
    ---Weekly AAR Showcase, 1/13/08
    Charter member of "The Warlord Club"

Awards:
    Fan of the Week: 3/4/07, 4/29/07, 6/18/07, 2/19/08, 4/11/08
    WritAAR of the Week: 5/20/07
    I was canonized! 4/21/07

My ink well thingy...

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    I've sent CitizenPaul a PM. If he does not respond to it by Sunday I will choose another winner, if that is acceptable.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

Sig Sig Sputnik Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Since neither CitizenPaul nore stnylan (I hope everything is allright with him, he was last active 26th march 2007) has posted a new best Character Writer of the week it might be a good idea to let Lord E choose a new one ?

What do you guys think ?

200k clubHoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Veldmaarschalk
    Since neither CitizenPaul nore stnylan (I hope everything is allright with him, he was last active 26th march 2007) has posted a new best Character Writer of the week it might be a good idea to let Lord E choose a new one ?

What do you guys think ?
    Yes, I think it would be good to get this show back on the road. I also hope everything is okay with stnylan, he seems to have disappeared, but I think he will be back.
    And while I would love to try to find a new one, I am leavening on Easter holiday in an hour and then I won’t be able to be online until next week, so I don’t have the time to pick a new one right now. But maybe you can find one Veldmaarschalk? If no one has picked one before I return I guess I could try to find a new one then.
    EUIII AAR: The lilies of France
    Awarded Best Character Writer of the Week 25. Feb 2007
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 22. April 2007

HoI2 AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller – A Norwegian AAR
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 25. Sept 2005
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 25. Jan 2006
    Awarded Fan of the Week 26. March 2006, 7. October 2007 and 10. November 2008
    Boer War AAR: Joe’s War- a Boer War AAR

77 games registered

I will ask coz1 to pick one.

I don't visit all the different AAR-subforums so it is hard for me to make a good choice

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Alright, to get this show back on the road, let us honor a man who has been writing around here for quite some time, creating many different characters, all of them winners. I am especially intrigued by his latest work in Vickie with the character of Guy Marlborough. So let's give a big hand to:

Hajji Giray I!

Congrats, sir! Long time coming but very well deserved.
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae VictisEuropa Universalis IV

Congratulations, Haiji!
    Was würde Brian Boitano tun?

(Interim Avatar)
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome

congratulations!
    The Ebony Cross and the Sacred Eagle (Ongoing)
    ---Favorite History-Book AAR, Eu3 (Q2 2008)
    ---Weekly AAR Showcase, 1/13/08
    Charter member of "The Warlord Club"

Awards:
    Fan of the Week: 3/4/07, 4/29/07, 6/18/07, 2/19/08, 4/11/08
    WritAAR of the Week: 5/20/07
    I was canonized! 4/21/07

My ink well thingy...

77 games registered

Thumbs up

Congratulations Hajji Giray I !

First Lieutenant Edge of a Knife's Avatar

congrats Hajji Giray I!!!
    AARs

The Panzers will roll... <---The acclaimed narrative AAR

Blog Entries
    Congrats Hajji Giray.
    Current AAR's: The Manchurian Candidate...on hold.
    Founder and charter member of The Warlord Club
    Fan of the week 02/26/07 & 06/04/07
    WritAAR of the week 03/12/07
    Character Writer of the week 07/15/2007
    Favorite AAR HOI1/2 Q2 2007
    Favorite Narative AAR HOI1/2 Q2 2007
    I was canonized on 03/18/2007 & canonized again 07/15/2007
    Honorary Fellow in the Tempus Society

"Gold does not always get you good soldiers, but good soldiers can always get you gold." Machiavelli

DiplomacyDivine WindFor the MotherlandEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

Congrats, well deseved. I like your Guy.
    Snake IV used to be a regular, but not anymore. You might, however, come across him at rare occasions, but that is so seldom you'll manage.

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Blog Entries
    Many congratulations HG - very well deserved!
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

200k clubHoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Glad to return and see that this show is back on the road.

Congratulations Hajji Giray I, well deserved
    EUIII AAR: The lilies of France
    Awarded Best Character Writer of the Week 25. Feb 2007
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 22. April 2007

HoI2 AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller – A Norwegian AAR
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 25. Sept 2005
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 25. Jan 2006
    Awarded Fan of the Week 26. March 2006, 7. October 2007 and 10. November 2008
    Boer War AAR: Joe’s War- a Boer War AAR

Khan of the Crimea Hajji Giray I's Avatar
    EU3 Complete

Surely there's been some mistake! Wow, everyone, I really did not expect this at all ... . Thanks very, very much and I hope you enjoy reading the first of the Guy Marlborough stories as much as I still enjoy writing it!

The two AARs of which I'm most proud (and which have had the most interesting characters) have in fact been mysteries and thrillers of sorts: Debts Unpaid and The Hussite Lament. That's because I'm a huge mystery reader and writer; this morn I finished P.D. James' novel The Murder Room. It was fascinating how powerfully psychological the portraits of the suspects were in her book, how deeply the author understood each of them. I may read it again; there was definitely a great deal to learn from in her writing, in the carefully planned histories and consistently sympathetic narrations of each person's life. This stood in contrast, though, with James' detective, who seems to be a sort of unfinished sketch.

Guy Marlborough as a character will be, I hope, more than that. I was originally going to throw my two favorite detectives (Columbo and Kinky Friedman) into a bowl and stir unenthusiastically, but the result's sort of gotten away from my control and is turning dangerously real. The same is true for most of the other characters, especially his wife, who was originally going to be a sort of comic punching bag. And regular readers will be frightened to know that we have yet to meet most of the suspects!

I've received a good deal of help and advice from several great writers on and off the forum, especially coz1. Thanks all, and to my regular readers who have already begun trying to unravel the story and characters!

Now for the fun part: I get to pick a successor ... *starts his reading*
    Friends, I am no longer a regular visitor to the Paradox forums. However, you can attract my attention at any time by sending me a PM. I am notified by e-mail and will happily get in touch. ~ Hajji

The Official OT Forum Museum
    a collection of the best OT posts and threads of all time!

Debts Unpaid: The First Guy Marlborough Mystery
    Five times an AARland Choice Winner!
    View a directory of my other AARs

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment
    Hooray , congratulations Hajji ! Mystery is a great source of entertainment i'm glad to see you recognized !
    DANGEROUS LIAISONS
    The New Short AAR about Seduction , Manipulation , Intrigue , Mystery , and Revolution .
    -~= =~-
    T I M E L I N E S : What if Spain Failed to Control the World?
    Seventeen AARLand Choice Awards: Favourite Overall New WritAAR Q1 2007.
    Favourite Overall EU3 AAR: Q1 2007; Q2 2007; Q3 2007; Q4 2007; Q1 2008; Q2 2008; Q3 2008; Q4 2008
    Favourite Narrative EU3 AAR: Q1 2007; Q2 2007; Q3 2007; Q4 2007; Q1 2008; Q2 2008; Q3 2008; Q4 2008

Three Times WritAAR of the Week: 4 March 2007 13 May 2007 & 28 March 2008;
    Twice AAR Showcase: 9 Dec 2007, 14 Jun 2009; Twice Best Character Writer: 9 Dec 2007, 13 Sep 2008

Editor in Chief of The AARlander

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 232 FirstFirst ... 3 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 53 78 103 128 ... LastLast