+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 234 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 36 61 86 111 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Character Writer of the Week: cyrileom

Congratulations
    10 more years!

Hurricane Sergeant of Arms Amric's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3

Does Maximilliano even know he was character writer of the week? I haven't seen him around for awhile....
    Guardian of Truth, Defender of Justice, Harbinger of Light! Formerly known as the Hurricane!

Now retired from writing!

"You can rest assured, sir, that I will do everything in my power to make sure it isn't my fault!" --Dr. Grant

The Quixotic Emperor of Mexico Maximilliano's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3

wow this is amazing... thank you so much, i am honored. I always felt Vera Cruz was inadequate in his role in the story, but they say a writer is always his own harshest critic. Thank you to everyone for this i hadn't even known... with orientation and classes i barely had a chance to catch up on my favorite aars and then my laptop... well thats another story. As i am about to passout, i will have to pick a new winner tommorow, im so sorry for making you wait even longer.

Thanks again,
    Maximilliano
    "History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." -Winston Churchill

The Quixotic Emperor of Mexico Maximilliano's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3

Ok so I noticed that a specific writer has yet to be nominated (i believe, if im wrong, i will pick someone else). I would like to suggest the great Rensslaer for character writer of the week, for his fabulous work in Fire Warms the Northern Lands. In this AAR he creates a plethora of memorable and well developed characters, my favorite including Prince Rensslaer and an extremely wily Louis Napoleon (not to mention a string of Prussian Kaisers). While the aar has been completed for sometime i think Rensslaer deserves the recogniction for his hard work and epic AAR.

Congratulations Renss!
    "History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." -Winston Churchill

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Great work, Renss. Even though it's been over for a while, we might as well honor your great creations. Congrats.
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

Hurricane Sergeant of Arms Amric's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3

Yes, indeed. Congrats, Renss!
    Guardian of Truth, Defender of Justice, Harbinger of Light! Formerly known as the Hurricane!

Now retired from writing!

"You can rest assured, sir, that I will do everything in my power to make sure it isn't my fault!" --Dr. Grant

Ordnung muß sein Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Congratulations Renss

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Indeed. Louis Napolean was/is one of my absolute favourite characters I have read on this forum. Talk about a life of ups and downs...
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

EU3 Complete

congrats Ransslaer

Europa Universalis 3For The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis IV

Excellent choice. Congrats Rensslaer!

Joe
    The way to a woman's heart is through her stomach.

Desert Tides or how I learned to swim in quicksand Adventure
    A Tall Tale Told on a Cold Night Fantasy

Congratulations, Rensslaer!
    "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver" --Proverbs 25:11

WritAAR of the week: Feb. 12, 2006, Sep. 19, 2006
    CharactAAR writAAR of the week: Jan. 1, 2007

Dawn in the East
    "Her Home is on the Deep"

200k clubHoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Well deserved. Congratulations Rensslaer
    EUIII AAR: The lilies of France
    Awarded Best Character Writer of the Week 25. Feb 2007
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 22. April 2007

HoI2 AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller – A Norwegian AAR
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 25. Sept 2005
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 25. Jan 2006
    Awarded Fan of the Week 26. March 2006, 7. October 2007 and 10. November 2008
    Boer War AAR: Joe’s War- a Boer War AAR

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesWarlock: Master of the ArcaneEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Congratulations Rensslaer! Definitely well deserved. Fire Warms was an masterpiece centered around its great characters and we're eagerly awaiting its sequel.
    Last edited by VILenin; 15-09-2006 at 17:46.
    "Being a freedom fighter, a force for good, it's a wonderful thing. You get to make your own hours, it looks good on a resume, but the pay sucks."

My current AAR: Regents and Revenge - a CK2 one-shot

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Congratulations Rensslaer! Well deserved indeed, for the character of Prince Rensslaer and many others.
    "That which does not kill me, has made a grave tactical error." - Jerry Pournelle

Seven AARs and a picture, too: Director's Inkwell

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: Rome

S. Latitude 47° 9′, W. Longitude 126° 43′
    Blog Entries
    Excellent choice! Congrats Rensslaer.
    The Rodina and the Shackles of Humanity - A Soviet HOI3 AAR

"The Italians have a saying, Lemon, 'Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.' And, although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct." - Jack in 30 Rock

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

Maximilliano.... First, Congratulations on your award! Very well deserved. I'm sorry I've been so busy and didn't make it by in time to send wishes during your week.

But also Thank You! You were certainly one of my most valued and enthusiastic supporters, and I appreciate it!

And it's an honor to receive this award. I always saw the characters in Fire Warms as the center of the story, with the game/historical portion wrapped around them, rather than the other way around.

And -- as Frogbeastegg says -- it amazed me how these characters took on a life of their own that I could never have predicted.

For instance, a character I meant only to use once or twice (Pavel Skiedweza) ended up being nominated by several people as their favorite character in the Forums! So he became a recurring character. I also never intended for Rensselaer to take on a major role in my story. He was a plot device, early on... meant really as a one-time cameo appearance. But it kept turning out that he fit into new elements of the story I wanted to tell, so instead he became central to most of 19th Century Prussian History!

And he tied in so perfectly with one of my favorite recurring characters, Louis Napoleon. They knew each other too well, it seemed, and so they kept crossing paths.

It occurs to me that I killed off two of my favorite characters in very bloody ways! Both Louis Napoleon and Kaiser Wilhelm II were very complicated characters who were fun to write for because of their contradictions and their dual sympathetic/antagonistic natures. Both were tragic heroes, and both were infamous, in their own ways.

And they were also fun because they were historical characters, which I tried to represent with faithfulness to their historic attitudes, aptitudes, inclinations and personalities. Their real-life complexity made writing for them ten times more fun than a character I could have come up with on my own!

But I'm not sure who -- of all the dozens of major characters -- was my favorite. Pietr Van Rensslaer, Joachim Longanecker, Kronprinz Friedrich Wilhelm, the fictional Kaiser Waldemar... All are my favorites in different ways! I even made the author of my alternate history book -- Miss Dr. Reinicke Herz -- into a flesh and blood character in the story!

Naturally, like any author, I enjoy hearing why different readers liked different characters -- usually for reasons very different from what I might have predicted.

Thank you all for your kind words! Now I have the pleasure of deciding who, among so many brilliant character authors, to pass this along to!

Rensslaer
    Serenity - (V2 v1.3) - An isolationist Japan tries to stay out of everybody's way (Updated July '13)
    Kriegsgefahr (Impending War) - (HOI3/SF/HPP) - Germany attempts to remain at peace! (Updated Apr '13)
    Locarno - Italy vs. Germany (HOI3/SF/HPP) - What if Mussolini stood with France against Hitler?
    The Die is Cast (Roman Civil War) - Caesar will make a name for himself! (Updated June '12)
    Império Novo - An Axis Portugal AAR for HOI 3 (Updated May '13)
    Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian Victoria 1 AAR (Awarded the VictAARian Cross for Jan-Jun 2006)
    Castles In the Sky (Vicky 1) * Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR (EU III) (Updated May '13) * I Am Siam (V2 Minor) (tied for Silver VictAARian Cross for Best AAR completed in 2011) * A Long Time Ago... (HOI 1 Argentina)* Check Rensslaer's Inkwell! (list of online writings)

Congratulations Rensslaer! !

a bit later than normal, but certainly very well deserved ! !
    B an 0:-), make someone happy, :-) GhostWriter :-)

"Freedom has many difficulties and democracy is not perfect, but we never had to put up a wall to keep our people in." . . . - John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Berlin, 1961

"Refusing to forgive is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die." - not sure

thanks for the 6.10.10 update Valdemar ! ! : HOI1 *First Resistance* check it out ! !

HOI2 Cat War – Alternate USA AAR, By Amona ; discover this now ! !

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition500k club

Congrats Rensslaer. I really must get around to reading the entire thing one of these days.

Crazy Reactionary crusaderknight's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2

Many congrats Rensslaer! I will have to give "Fire Warms the Northern Lands" a read. I'll get on it ASAP!
    ++ Member of the Christian Paradox Players Club ++
    Honorary Byzantine
    I was canonized!
    See my AARs at the Ink Well
    Active AARs:
    Fresh Blood on Ancient Soil - A Saga of the Scottish Kings of Aquitaine - NEW UPDATE: 21/02/2013
    The Morea, A Palaeologid AAR - Last update: 22/7/2011
    Regnum Iudaeorum - The Lost Ten Tribes of Israel - 4x Winner of the AARland Choice AwAARds - Last update: 22/7/2011

Remembering Steve Irwin (1962 - 2006) we will miss you, Steve.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 234 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 36 61 86 111 ... LastLast