• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very many congratulatiosn Nil, and thoroughly well deserved.

Many thanks, Hajji Giray the First! You know, those nominations (I mean this one an the WoW a few weeks ago) have many various effects when I receive them. Firstly, they please me. Secondly, they inflate my worrying ego. Thirdly, they prove me that I have more readers than I think (which I suspected already, thanks to various comments in other threads). Fourthly, they force me to go out of my shell and read more, in order to find a successor.

The last one is tricky, because as I already mentionned, reading in English takes time and can become tiring, which is partly why I generally stick to only a couple of AARs and try to be as reactive as possible to their new posts. Now, I could follow the "Spamiard" conspiracy in the "FoW" thread and start to nominate French writers... Except that I don't read French stories over the web. :eek:o So, time to wear my glasses and skim through the fora!

Regarding the characters, I think they are the blood of the story, where events are the vessels. You know, empty vessels can form a nice anatomic chart, but not a living and potentially desirable creature (unless you were Fragonard, of course). I love mine, even the ones I sentence to death before they first appear on paper (err... I mean on screen, HDD and USB keys :D), even the ones I want to depict as despicable or evil. Some are caricatures, but I've met real life people who were too, to some extend.

What I find most fascinating is when a character that I thought I had well planned escapes from his chains and begin to live a life of his / her own. I usually don't try to enforce my authority in that case, unless it's threatening the whole story. I know others face such strange cerebral alchemy, since Director mentionned a similar evolution for van Iller in Frontier.

Last edited:
Congratulations Nil-The-Frogg ! ! :cool:

Congratulations Nil-The-Frogg :)

A belated congrats, Nil. When things slow down for me, I really want to catch up with the trials and tribulations of Hitchgins.

Great job! :)

Thanks again! Let's hope this award won't make Hitchgins too infatuated with himself...

Stuyvesant said:
I hope to reacquaint myself with them soon...
coz1 said:
When things slow down for me
Now now, are these subliminal messages to prevent me from nominating you guys? No need to shake your head with this ReadAAR's mocking smile, Stuyvesant. I do remember some awardable French secret agent, you know... Ah, you're not so cocky anymore, eh? :D

I'm afraid I'll need a few more days to grant the award, because I need to read the AARs rather extensively to assess the characters, not just skimming through the last entries...
0178.gif
I do have some favourites, but they have all been awarded already.
non-desol%E9-987.gif

Okay, I've thought about it some more and do know there are several very valid arguments against my choice, but still...

I know the new chAARacter writAAR of the week doesn't have much time on his hands these days to enjoy his nomination or find a successor. I also know he has not written last week, which hardly qualifies him as the winner of the week.

But, I do have some strong points to stress in favour of his nomination too. Firstly, his main character was really very good (and has even earned an allusion by another writer). Secondly, should our winner stick to his word and never write again, this is his one time chance of being awarded.

So, the character of the week is now Yves Bourdelain. Lets applaud Stuyvesant! (I told you not to smile like that. See how you got on my nerves... :D)

Congrats Stuyvesant !

Congratulations Stuyvesant.

Congratulations, Ivor! Insightful of Nil to pick you, and his choice is well deserved.

On the other hand... you write one chapter as a guest-author and win an award. Nothing like a little pressure, is there? :D

Oh, kudos to me, too, for prodding you into writing. :rofl:

Seriously, congratulations. You do write well (though not enough) and Yves is a solid, memorable character.

Aye, congrats!

Congratulations, Stuyvesant!