• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As the time has come to pass the mantle to a new (and believe me, more deserving) writer, I revved up the engine of my SOMUA and cruised the Hearts of Iron subforum, training the searchlight in every direction. And well, I am glad to announce that there's a rather recent AAR that, IMHO, should catch the attention of every WW2/1930s spycraft aficionado.

That AAR is soberly titled TheThird Reich , and is written in an efficient and gripping way by a long time member of this forum, Doge Robert.

Last edited:
Congrats, Doge.

Congratulations Doge Robert :)

surprised-019.gif

I really, really tried to find words that would properly describe what I felt, when I recieved this award. But to be honest, words simply failed me. A month ago, this very same award was given to me by Volksmarschall and I was both awed and humbled to recieve an award for my writing, when my story had barely even begun.

How am I to react then, when a mere month later, my story STILL barely begun (I am at a grand total of roughly 25 pages in Word), I recieve the same award from yet another great writer, whose works I follow with immense joy and pleasure? I honestly do not know any words to adequately describe, the extreme shock, the absolute awe, the complete failure of comprehending that such an honor could be granted me.

I tried to be eloquent in my thanks a month ago, communicating the deep honor I truly felt at recieving the award. But being recogniced by yet another of the great writers and one, whose level of skill I barely even dare hope to one day achieve, now that is not only mindboggling in all senses of the word, it leaves me speechless. Some may claim that I have written quite a bit already, but look more closely: All I have really done, is try to explain what I cannot honestly put into mere words.

I stared at my screen for a full 10 minutes or so, my mind stunned blank, unable to really believe it, when I recieved the message from Atlantic Friend, in my AAR.. I didn't even dare reply, since somehow I was certain it was against the rules, or I was simply dreaming or some other unexplainable factum, which would somehow reverse time and undo what was written before my eyes.

I am deeply and truly grateful for this award. I am humbled and awed by the immense compliment this is and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
My story means very, very much to me and to have it recognized in this way, not once, but twice, leaves me with a feeling that from this point onwards, nothing is truly impossible. These words do not even come close to fully explain the breadth and depth of how I feel, but I am afraid that this is as close I will get with mere letters.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Rob

Congratulations Doge, and well done on the most gracious acceptance post ever. A well-deserved award.

Congratulations

Congratulations Doge, a well-deserved honor indeed! ;)

Thank you once again to all of you, who have posted here. As I have been, so I still am: Deeply and truly humble and grateful for the immense honor I have been shown by being granted this award not just once, but twice. I still lack the words to properly express just how much this means to me, but what I lack in words, I have tried to make up for in action.

For recieving this award is but half of the total equation and the other half is by far the hardest and a great responsibility to put on the shoulders of any one person: Choosing one's successor.

I have roamed AARland for a story, which seemed to me, to capture the spirit of this Award. And if I have learned anything, it is simply this: The number of talented writers on this forum is not only staggering, it is beyond belief!

I praise myself lucky that I did not have to find a successor for the brother-award for this, namely the WritAAR of the Week, for they must choose from ALL the stories on this forum, while I at least, scant comfort it may be, only had to choose from those, who incorporated "living", "breathing", characters. This, not surprisingly, is hard enough, for among our countless writers, it seems that quite a lot have chosen the narrative approach and thus incorporated people into their stories...

I find myself breathless and even somewhat beaten after browsing so many good AARs, trying to decide who was the better Character Writer. How can I, mortal as I am, choose just one, just one among the many, to recieve this award after me?

The answer is: I can't... Not really... But I had to.

So instead of listing every single narrative AAR I've been reading this last week and the powers that be knows, I would really like to, I have decided to abide by the rules and list just one: One who I feel is not just a very talented writer, but one who has managed to set a special kind of tone in his AAR, using these same characters.

In said AAR, the tone is light almost to the point of being humorous, without ever really reaching that point. At the same time, it is deep and intense, showing us great levels of intrigue, mostly hinted at or hidden just beyond the horizon, to let us sit breathlessly waiting for the next update and.. hopefully... the answer to the riddle..

What really made me decide upon this AAR, among so many deserving, is the way the story somehow switches from Narrative to Historical, using one to underline and lift up the other, making characters come to life, be defined and stand out, without ever getting too close to the person at hand.. Letting us feel a tantalizing familiarity, yet not a sense of knowing every levels of depth in any person..

It is a young AAR, barely reaching five pages yet and still, the potential is staggering and the skill of the writer beyond reproach. What the future will bring for us in this story, I can barely imagine, but one thing is certain: It will be great.

At this point, you are probably loosing your patience with my ever-present need to elaborate and thus, while being excessively self-restrictive ;) , I give to you my nomation for Best Character Writer of the Week:

Flyingdutchie and his ItalAAR

Congratulations. :)

Last edited:
Congrats Flying Dutchie!! You're soaring high!! :)

Guess now is my time to be at a loss for words. Winning an award as prestigious as this one. Never expected it...
In the beginning I merely wanted to create a short story of Italian conquest (hence the deceptive title of short campaign), spiced up with some intrigue. Mostly to practice my writing and my English before writing a bigger AAR. Never expected to win awards with it...

Thanks Doge for this award and thanks to anyone who took the time for my writing. I will continue to work hard to prove myself worthy of these awards.

Congratulations :)

Congratulations FlyingDutchie :)