• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Summer is here, but we’re still working as much as we can on Eu3. This Tuesday was Sweden’s national day, so we had to celebrate that of course.

The interface team have been adapting in our new message system into the game, which gives us feedback on all ingame actions. The gamelogics guys have put in the system for prestige, which creates an entire different dimension to the game. They have also put in various other things like religious conversions, papal actions and pirates. The map team have been doing the first drafts of coastlines where we’ll have waves rolling, and finally, our artists have been adding in various map icons, as manufactories, capital and centre of trade icons.

One of the most important files that can be modded in Eu3 is the static_modifiers file.
Code:
##########################################################################
# Provincial Static Modifiers
##########################################################################

overseas = {
	local_tax_modifier = -0.1		#10% penalty if overseas.
	local_missionary_cost = 0.75		#75% more expensive overseas.
	local_spy_defence = -0.05		#5% penalty on defending in overseas.
	regiment_recruit_speed = 0.5		#50% longer time to build troops
	ship_recruit_speed = 1.0		#100% longer time to build troops
}
tropical = {
	local_colonist_cost = 0.2		#20% more expensive colonists
	local_colonist_placement_chance = -0.1	#10% penalty
	population_growth = -0.08		#Harsh population growth
	attrition = 5				#Attrition increased by 5 weights
	max_attrition = 5			#Maximum Attrition is increased by 5
}
It basically contains every gamestatus factor on province and country level. Each of these uses the modifier-types in the same way and syntax as the domestic policies we showed last week. If a modder wants to decrease the cost of ships for each overseas province he can do that, or if he wants to have revolt-risk to affect attrition, then that is possible as well..

eu3_jun_8.jpg

This screen shows the government selection screen. Here France is still a Feudal Monarchy in 1577, but have four other potential government forms to select from. Please note that the more advanced and well organised government forms have a shorter delay on how long they have to wait between changing policies.

Yay!

First one to comment! :p

Love the new red borders. They look cartoonish but are a great improvement... now, if the map will be a little clear, it's gonna be a hell of a map...

Love the despotic government... those +10 badboy points are sure great!!! :)

Kurdistani said:
ARe these the only government that you can have... or does the list go on?

1577 :) And the only legal changes from a feudal monarchy.

I reckon the map is improving big time!! kudos! :)

The gamelogics guys have put in the system for prestige, which creates an entire different dimension to the game.
:D yar good news.

EDIT: I wonder whether the "Tropical" definition is relative. So that when your capital is in a tropical province it's modifiers don't affect you.

What the little icon outside the walls of Danzig?

And I see it won't be EU3 that will finally enable countries to actually have dramatic shifts in policy.

Oh, and those green "ribbons" in the government type panel look a bit silly with those regularly spaced kinks, or whatever those are supposed to be.

Registered said:
:D yar good news.

EDIT: I wonder whether the "Tropical" definition is relative. So that when your capital is in a tropical province it's modifiers don't affect you.

yeah and don't forget about that "veiled" mention to papal actions :rolleyes:

Gwlmancai...whatever :p said:
What the little icon outside the walls of Danzig?

must be the CoT thingy.

alvaro said:
yeah and don't forget about that "veiled" mention to papal actions :rolleyes:
*thinks about the pope in M:TW*
*runs, screaming in terror*

:: Drools ::

I'm loving the alterable time between policy changes. I'm hoping that one can go really advances by the end of the game and change policy every few years...

Oh, and I hope that the ai will sensibly change its government type rather than the lazy man solution of changes based upon events! ;)

I wonder how often one can change government type too...

Neil.

Kurdistani said:
And can you change your government at anytime?

I am guessing that there is a time limit on that. So you can't change your government type every week.

In CK f.e. you can change your inheritance law only once every two years and if you change it will cause a lot of unrest. My guess is that changing your government will create a lot unrest a massive drop in stability f.e.

Cool. The map is getting day by day. Are we going to see the real-life geographical features like lakes, forests, the Alps?

The government types are also very nice. I await eagerly to play this game. Keep up the good work.

Johan said:
1577 :) And the only legal changes from a feudal monarchy.

Does this mean that one have to go via one of the other four (merchant, despotic, noble or administrative) in order to "unlock" a sixth type of government if that's the one you want? Or perhaps there are certain types of government that are impossible for certain countries to have? Or might revolution change government type, like in Victoria? :)

Map starts to look good.Looking at goverments,best thing there seems to be shortening policy changes.Other bonuses are rather minor,except +10 badboy.

Ulyanov said:
Does this mean that one have to go via one of the other four (merchant, despotic, noble or administrative) in order to "unlock" a sixth type of government if that's the one you want? Or perhaps there are certain types of government that are impossible for certain countries to have? Or might revolution change government type, like in Victoria? :)

I think it means that those are the only options for change if you are a feudal monarchy. Once you have some other government type, I presume you have different options.

Johan said:
The gamelogics guys have put in the system for prestige, which creates an entire different dimension to the game.

I really enjoyed the system for prestige in Vicky, so it's good to hear that this concept will be transported to Eu III. Will prestige system be close to the one in Vicky, or will there be major changes?

The map really looks much improved now. Maybe 3d wasn't a bad idea after all :rolleyes: . But I still don't like the mini-map, although that's not too much of a gamebreaking issue....

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, rock on with those government types!!! :D It would be pretty neat if when you change from a more despotic government type to a more liberal one that the penalties (stability and whatever) are not nearly as severe as changing from a more liberal one to a despotic one. I mean, imagine the response if someone like USA suddenly changed to a feudal government :D as opposed to changing to a more democratic one.

also, I was not happy with the coastlines on the last shot, they look much nicer now!

Bravo!