+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary - 8th of June 2006

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Development Diary - 8th of June 2006

Summer is here, but we’re still working as much as we can on Eu3. This Tuesday was Sweden’s national day, so we had to celebrate that of course.

The interface team have been adapting in our new message system into the game, which gives us feedback on all ingame actions. The gamelogics guys have put in the system for prestige, which creates an entire different dimension to the game. They have also put in various other things like religious conversions, papal actions and pirates. The map team have been doing the first drafts of coastlines where we’ll have waves rolling, and finally, our artists have been adding in various map icons, as manufactories, capital and centre of trade icons.

One of the most important files that can be modded in Eu3 is the static_modifiers file.
    Code:
    ##########################################################################
    # Provincial Static Modifiers
    ##########################################################################

overseas = {
    	local_tax_modifier = -0.1		#10% penalty if overseas.
    	local_missionary_cost = 0.75		#75% more expensive overseas.
    	local_spy_defence = -0.05		#5% penalty on defending in overseas.
    	regiment_recruit_speed = 0.5		#50% longer time to build troops
    	ship_recruit_speed = 1.0		#100% longer time to build troops
    }
    tropical = {
    	local_colonist_cost = 0.2		#20% more expensive colonists
    	local_colonist_placement_chance = -0.1	#10% penalty
    	population_growth = -0.08		#Harsh population growth
    	attrition = 5				#Attrition increased by 5 weights
    	max_attrition = 5			#Maximum Attrition is increased by 5
    }
    It basically contains every gamestatus factor on province and country level. Each of these uses the modifier-types in the same way and syntax as the domestic policies we showed last week. If a modder wants to decrease the cost of ships for each overseas province he can do that, or if he wants to have revolt-risk to affect attrition, then that is possible as well..

This screen shows the government selection screen. Here France is still a Feudal Monarchy in 1577, but have four other potential government forms to select from. Please note that the more advanced and well organised government forms have a shorter delay on how long they have to wait between changing policies.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Field Marshal

Blog Entries
    Yay!

First one to comment!

Love the new red borders. They look cartoonish but are a great improvement... now, if the map will be a little clear, it's gonna be a hell of a map...

Love the despotic government... those +10 badboy points are sure great!!!

Hürriyet ve İtilaf Fırkası Kurdistani's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

ARe these the only government that you can have... or does the list go on?
    Full time love machine

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurdistani
    ARe these the only government that you can have... or does the list go on?
    1577 And the only legal changes from a feudal monarchy.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Hürriyet ve İtilaf Fırkası Kurdistani's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

And can you change your government at anytime?
    Full time love machine

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesRome Gold
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations500k club

Blog Entries
    I reckon the map is improving big time!! kudos!
    Dicen que en Portugal aun hay muchos comunistas
    pero lo que yo queria saber es donde hay señoritas

Procrastinator extraordinaire Registered's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The gamelogics guys have put in the system for prestige, which creates an entire different dimension to the game.
    yar good news.

EDIT: I wonder whether the "Tropical" definition is relative. So that when your capital is in a tropical province it's modifiers don't affect you.
    "The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity"
    Yeats

What the little icon outside the walls of Danzig?

And I see it won't be EU3 that will finally enable countries to actually have dramatic shifts in policy.

Oh, and those green "ribbons" in the government type panel look a bit silly with those regularly spaced kinks, or whatever those are supposed to be.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by.
    It ended abruptly in the middle of nowhere; would not pick again.
    A traveler

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesRome Gold
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations500k club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Registered
    yar good news.

EDIT: I wonder whether the "Tropical" definition is relative. So that when your capital is in a tropical province it's modifiers don't affect you.
    yeah and don't forget about that "veiled" mention to papal actions

Quote Originally Posted by Gwlmancai...whatever :p
    What the little icon outside the walls of Danzig?
    must be the CoT thingy.
    Dicen que en Portugal aun hay muchos comunistas
    pero lo que yo queria saber es donde hay señoritas

Procrastinator extraordinaire Registered's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by alvaro
    yeah and don't forget about that "veiled" mention to papal actions
    *thinks about the pope in M:TW*
    *runs, screaming in terror*
    "The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity"
    Yeats

Crusader Kings II

:: Drools ::

I'm loving the alterable time between policy changes. I'm hoping that one can go really advances by the end of the game and change policy every few years...

Oh, and I hope that the ai will sensibly change its government type rather than the lazy man solution of changes based upon events!

I wonder how often one can change government type too...

Neil.

Bad mojo Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Kurdistani
    And can you change your government at anytime?
    I am guessing that there is a time limit on that. So you can't change your government type every week.

In CK f.e. you can change your inheritance law only once every two years and if you change it will cause a lot of unrest. My guess is that changing your government will create a lot unrest a massive drop in stability f.e.

Europa Universalis 3

This all looks very nice. I presume that when you switch government types you pay a high cost in stability and revolts of some kind?

Somehow I think that the Despotic Monarchy will be very popular.

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Cool. The map is getting day by day. Are we going to see the real-life geographical features like lakes, forests, the Alps?

The government types are also very nice. I await eagerly to play this game. Keep up the good work.

Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Johan
    1577 And the only legal changes from a feudal monarchy.
    Does this mean that one have to go via one of the other four (merchant, despotic, noble or administrative) in order to "unlock" a sixth type of government if that's the one you want? Or perhaps there are certain types of government that are impossible for certain countries to have? Or might revolution change government type, like in Victoria?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alerias View Post
    I want to be surprised and shocked whenever Burgundy doesn't get partitioned, whenever Russia doesn't form, or whenever Spain doesn't control most of Southern and Central America. Not the other way around.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae VictisEuropa Universalis IV

Map starts to look good.Looking at goverments,best thing there seems to be shortening policy changes.Other bonuses are rather minor,except +10 badboy.
    Was würde Brian Boitano tun?

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions

I need a timemachine so I can get this game!
    The Japanese AARe HIP!
    the latest bAARkdreg production, starring the mighty Japanese in the Historical Improvement Project.
    Ended due to savegame failure.

Arsenal of DemocracyFor The Glory

Quote Originally Posted by Ulyanov
    Does this mean that one have to go via one of the other four (merchant, despotic, noble or administrative) in order to "unlock" a sixth type of government if that's the one you want? Or perhaps there are certain types of government that are impossible for certain countries to have? Or might revolution change government type, like in Victoria?
    I think it means that those are the only options for change if you are a feudal monarchy. Once you have some other government type, I presume you have different options.
    One thing about knives, swords & axes - they don't run out of ammo, and they don't misfire.

Nikola Zrinski in Military campaigns of some of the finest warriors in the world - the multiplayer EU2 AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Johan
    The gamelogics guys have put in the system for prestige, which creates an entire different dimension to the game.
    I really enjoyed the system for prestige in Vicky, so it's good to hear that this concept will be transported to Eu III. Will prestige system be close to the one in Vicky, or will there be major changes?

The map really looks much improved now. Maybe 3d wasn't a bad idea after all . But I still don't like the mini-map, although that's not too much of a gamebreaking issue....
    Last edited by Havard; 08-06-2006 at 14:07. Reason: Fixed quote tag

68 games registered

200k clubDiplomacyEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Galactic AssaultHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpire
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur IILead and GoldThe Kings Crusade
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2Majesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CirclePenumbra - Black PlaguePirates of Black CoveVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHoi 2 Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Wow, rock on with those government types!!! It would be pretty neat if when you change from a more despotic government type to a more liberal one that the penalties (stability and whatever) are not nearly as severe as changing from a more liberal one to a despotic one. I mean, imagine the response if someone like USA suddenly changed to a feudal government as opposed to changing to a more democratic one.

also, I was not happy with the coastlines on the last shot, they look much nicer now!

Bravo!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast