• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
February 25
Our fleets intercept Chinese fleets. A big surprise, accoridng to our intellegence China had no ships left
post-4-1149854793.jpg

After a month of battles and chasing the fleeing ships they are sunk.

The Front on March 13
post-4-1149856979.jpg

China is completely cut of from the coast.

March 20
post-4-1149855075.jpg

Spanish Civil War has ended.

March 26
post-4-1149856979.jpg

A nex law is passed.

April 14
Fieldmarshal Terauchi gains the Desert Fox trait while battling in the Mongolian desert.

April 20
General Hata gains the Mountaineer trait while assaulting the remaining Chinese forces in the Yunnan mountains.
Chinese forces in Yunnan are being attacked on all sides and are constantly bombed by our tactical bombers. Soon all of China will be ours.

April 29
post-4-1149854578.jpg

Reports indicate we have been attacked by Soviet forces. Luckily our troops are superior in all possible ways.

May 5
Three mountaineer divisions finish their training. IC put in production of suplies.

May 15
The construction of tactical bomber squadron is finished. We order the construction of our newly researched '38 Destroyers.

May 21
Naval bomber squadron construction finished.
Our brave troops attack the last Chinese stronghold in Yunnan.

May 25
Yunnan taken, China is ours.
post-4-1149855174.jpg

What to do next?
Two choices have to be made:

Choice 1, China.
The two options are.
-keep China for myself. I'll gain IC but the TC strain of all those partisans will be huge.
-Puppet China. If China is puppeted I'll write an event that will move part of it's IC to Japan and a series of events that will create almost monthly revolts in China. Ofcourse the MP gain and and available IC for China has to be reduced. If they should have the use of all their IC they would outproduce the US.

Choice 2, Where next.
The options are.
-Ally Germany. Gain blueprints and a strong ally but I'll be pushed back into war soon.
-Don't ally Germany. Techresearch will be slow but building up will be possible before the next war breaks out.

The real question is, will I be able to keep the US out of the war when I ally Germany.

Why would you take IC from China and give it to you? That would be a bit phoney IMO. Either you annex China, and reap the benefits of owning all that land and IC for yourself, or you don't, and reap the benefits of having a powerful puppet with a mighty army.

China as a puppet should be a really useful asset in any case. They field a gigantic army (and allow you to focus on marines, navy and the air force) and they give you all of their excess resources. If their AI is okay, then their research should nicely complement yours, too.

What exactly should the transfered manpower represent, in the real world, anyways... a Chinese foreign legion fighting under the rising sun flag? And the transfered IC... Chinese factories torn down and reconstructed in Japan??

Karl Martell said:
What exactly should the transfered manpower represent, in the real world, anyways... a Chinese foreign legion fighting under the rising sun flag? And the transfered IC... Chinese factories torn down and reconstructed in Japan??

I wouldn't transfer any manpower. I would reduce the MP China gains to make it less powerfull. I would also reduce their industrial efficiency because in HIP you only use part of your total IC, not everything.
The transfered IC does indeed represent Cjinese factories torn down and being reconstructed. Maybe the Chinese puppet should get dissent and revolts when I remove the IC

Outproduce USA? How on Earth could that happen? Their IC is somewhere around 120-150, for what I recall from my Nationalist China-game few months ago, in which I had all of China under my rule. Knowing the AI's stupidity in using that IC, your advantage in having a Chinese puppet wouldn't be too great, IMO.

Barkdreg said:
What to do next?
Two choices have to be made:

Choice 1, China.
The two options are.
-keep China for myself. I'll gain IC but the TC strain of all those partisans will be huge.
-Puppet China. If China is puppeted I'll write an event that will move part of it's IC to Japan and a series of events that will create almost monthly revolts in China. Ofcourse the MP gain and and available IC for China has to be reduced. If they should have the use of all their IC they would outproduce the US.

Choice 2, Where next.
The options are.
-Ally Germany. Gain blueprints and a strong ally but I'll be pushed back into war soon.
-Don't ally Germany. Techresearch will be slow but building up will be possible before the next war breaks out.

The real question is, will I be able to keep the US out of the war when I ally Germany.

Umm... I don't know how far HIP will change things, but in the regular game I have to say annexation is the way to go. It's quite difficult to bring that enormous chinese puppet army to bear on your real enemies and Japan is short enough on IC that you really, really need the boost of all those ( :rolleyes: ) chinese factories...

As for allying with Germany, you might as well if you can do it. The US will end up at war with you anyway when they join the allies, which they always do, and although it's tempting to avoid a showdown with the soviets the painful fact is that Japan will never be secure until Stalin falls!

Again, this is from my Doomsday 1.2 games, and may not apply, but for me the crucial factor is manpower. I generally appoint a man of the people as soon as peace breaks out and wait as long as possible before getting back into the war... if you wait until mid to late '41 you can net a massive 8-900 manpower from occupied China with this 'Hearts and Minds' campaign, then switch to a prince of terror for an immediate TC boost as soon as you attack.

Can't wait to see how HIP changes those assumptions...

Kasakka said:
Outproduce USA? How on Earth could that happen? Their IC is somewhere around 120-150, for what I recall from my Nationalist China-game few months ago, in which I had all of China under my rule. Knowing the AI's stupidity in using that IC, your advantage in having a Chinese puppet wouldn't be too great, IMO.

If I release the Chinese and dodn't mod anything they will have 202 effictive and total IC. Currently the US has some 85 effecive IC.
My Chinese puppet would also have 6.9MP gain a day :wacko:
Soon the Chinese would be the biggest force on the planet.

I'm busy writing an event series that will
-release the nationalist chinese as a japanese puppet
-move 40 IC from mainland China to Japan.
-reduce the effective Chinese IC to 25%, meaning some 40 effective IC
-reduce Chinese MP gain with 75%
-turn over some selected coastal provinces to Japan
-have regular revolts in China
-remove certain chinese leaders (chennault, Chang kai Chek)

Well I would say keep China for yourself, but you seem to be going in the other direction. Will be just as fun to read about though.

Edit: As for question 2, since when does the land of the Rising Sun need allies? Be in charge of your own destiny.

well you could always keep the ic rich parts of china and give useless prov to your puppet like manchukuo..i thought if you made a puppet out of china after annexing it that they dont have leaders..is this true in HIP?

Barkdreg: ...I break one of my playing rules and promote the General Terauchi T. to Fieldmarshal. He is now an old guard logistic wizard with skill 0 who can command 27 units.

i read once that an old guard M.Gen. logistic wizard can command an unlimited number of units and save your supply usage! ! i have never tested this, nor do i know if it applies to HIP and DD... anyone?

Barkdreg: ...If I release the Chinese and didn't mod anything they will have 202 effective and total IC. Currently the US has some 85 effective IC.
My Chinese puppet would also have 6.9 MP gain a day :wacko:
Soon the Chinese would be the biggest force on the planet. /Barkdreg

understand this. :)

Barkdreg: ...-reduce the effective Chinese IC to 25%, meaning some 40 effective IC..

25% of 202 is 50... ;)

Barkdreg: ...-have regular revolts in China

i don't understand this. :confused:

excellent AAR. i have never played Japan, nor followed a Japanese AAR before! ! :cool:

I would also say to keep China.

Great victory indeed, as I always had alot more trouble in China than you did. :eek:o

Can you give us your plans for your production strategy for the rest of the year and the beginning of the next? Specifically, I would love to see what new IJN warships are being planned. Anyway, good luck in future conquests!

I think a chinese puppet is far more usefull than if you annex it. You will indirectly get a lot of manpower by using chinese divisions to secure your holdings and to let them fight along your troops on the frontline. And as I understand it as japan manpower is probably the most needed ressource. I say puppet them.

GhostWriter said:
Barkdreg: ...-have regular revolts in China

i don't understand this. :confused:

In reality (and HIP is historical improvement project, right?) Even if China was in Japanese hands, that meant only the cities. The lands outside cities were controlled by rebels. That'll explain it.

goody, all those replies

stnylan:Being in charge of my own destiny is good, getting free blueprints is also good. A tough choice if ever.

lifeless: this bug only happens if you annex a country and release it as a puppet in one playing session. Annexing a country, save, releoad, release as a puppet and it will have leaders

ghostwriter:
- the 40 IC China will get is after I removed 40 of their IC and moved it to Japan
-the trick with the logistic wizard you describe only works in regular HoI2
In DD you don't get the logistic wizard bonus if the stack exceeds the maximum command of the leader
-each month an event will be triggered that will spawn partisans in China, as Jacko explained this represents the difficulties of occupien such a large country

-AOK. 11
I'm just that good :D . Don't have any plans what to build. I don't even know how I'll take on the war in the Pacific. I've never played a real naval power so all of this will be new to me.

-Donnervogel
That's what I have been thinking. In HIP the manpower losses can be brutal I'll need all manpower I can get my hands on.

-Jacko the Panda
Indeed, HIP also has an event that triggers a partisan revolt in China. I like a bigger chalange so I'll add more partisans

Excellent AAR and it is progressing very well and fast.
Karl Martell said:
This is a misunderstanding, the event represents the Japanese economic and population growth and has nothing to do with China. You can not build IC and instead you get those growth events.

Yes HIP already has partisan events for China, but they occur not that often and are certainly not perfect, yet. Also does Changzi seem to be a preferred target, altough other provinces should also be chosen.

And the gearing bonus was removed, because HIP uses national discounts, which often already include a gearing bonus, like the German sub prices. They don't work with minister or gearing bonus discounts.

Last edited:
decisions have been made.
China will be my puppet and I will not join the Axis yet.

My event series has been written with one littel change.
It seems that AI played countries can not get revolts in a randomn province, you have to give the ID number of the province you want the revolt to appear in. This makes my plan of randomn revolts in China impossible without huge amounts of coding/reloading.
Instead I made another event. Every month there will be a 10% chance a revolt will be break out. This revolt will be 24 divisions :eek: and will appear in one of 6 possible places in China.

So instead of a constant trickle of small rebellions I will now have one or two huge rebellions a year.

Barkdreg said:
decisions have been made.
China will be my puppet and I will not join the Axis yet.

My event series has been written with one littel change.
It seems that AI played countries can not get revolts in a randomn province, you have to give the ID number of the province you want the revolt to appear in. This makes my plan of randomn revolts in China impossible without huge amounts of coding/reloading.
Instead I made another event. Every month there will be a 10% chance a revolt will be break out. This revolt will be 24 divisions :eek: and will appear in one of 6 possible places in China.

So instead of a constant trickle of small rebellions I will now have one or two huge rebellions a year.

The anarchists will have a field-day :rofl: