This is an AAR that I have wanted to do for some time now, but have just not had the time to commit to it. It will not be a world conquest, or a story driven AAR, but rather a straight forward look at the Great War. It will be done in vanilla 1.04.
I chose this subject for several reasons
1. It has been greatly neglected in the Vicky Forums and AAR's
2. The sheer size of the armies will mean that there will be a constant stream of action.
3. Usually in my games, I never get to have great dreadnaught battles
4. Some of the most enjoyable parts of AAR's are seeing how someone won a war, I want to focus on that.
I shall grant myself certain liberties in this AAR that hopefully will not be considered exploitish by the community
1. I reserve the right to take military control of all the military of the Central Powers. I feel that the Central Powers are already at a disadvantage, and I can't allow the AI to squander what precious resources we do have.
2. I will allow myself to declare war on any new nation (as in HOI) I feel that this is true to the time period, and will allow me greater strategic opportunities (although I may or may not pursue them). Who knows, maybe I’ll try the Von Schleifen plan, only through Switzerland.
3. Other than that there will be no exploits or F12
I will start with several posts discussing the strategic position at the start of the war, and then begin the actual war. I am hoping to stir up some comments and suggestions at this time because:
1. I have never played the Great War scenario
2. I have yet to play 1.04
My basic strategy is to attack the French border fortresses, and occupy them before the bulk of the French army arrives. After that, I will settle in to the French fortress and let them destroy themselves on their own forts, while I turn my attention to the Russians. Once Russia is out of the war, I will return my attention to the western front.
So here we go...