• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Olaus Petrus said:
Thomais must be very frustrated and desperate because of Georgios' total lack of interest towards the women. Maybe she could explain to king that it's his duty towards his kingdom and people to provide an heir.
She's going to explain that... and he's going to make a very clear point to her...

Olaus Petrus said:
I see that the winds of war are once again gathering and storm may break out soon.
Oh yes, in more places than one...

Chief Ragusa said:
Actually, war represents Thgomais' best chance to get Georgios hitched. She can ensure that the defeated enemies provide a suitable daughter to weld the new conquests forever within the Morean Kingdom.
If only life were that easy for Thomais...

Chief Ragusa said:
She should aslo try to make Konstantinos promise that if his only should die, he will marry again. Perhaps, Georgios will force him: If I have to, you have to.
Georgios may surpirse you...

TheMorea.jpg

It was a cold and rainy day in late October of 1140. Supreme Commander Alexios Dekanos lay on his deathbed, very ill with a fever. His surviving family was there, along with King Georgios and Prince Konstantinos. When everybody had said their goodbyes to the General, he asked for a moment alone with his eldest surviving son, Morgan.

Once everyone had left, Morgan knelt beside his father, took his hand, and said, "What do you need, father?"

Alexios struggled to speak, but managed to say, "My son... Your skill with a blade and your tac-(cough)-tactical mind makes you the prime candidate to succeed me as (cough, cough) Supreme Commander. You must understand that this is a (cough) very important responsi-(cough)-responsibility. For you are not only head of the Army, but also of the King's (cough, cough) the King's Body Guard. And it is your duty above all else to die in defence of the (COUGH) King's life. (COUGH, cough, cough, cough) Do you understand this?"

Morgan said, "I do, father."

Alexios coughed again, this time, blood came out and splattered all over his face, and a little got on Morgan's cheek. Alexios was able to force out a few more words, "Good bye... my, son. I... love..." with that, he breathed his last.

Morgan's eyes began to water. He couldn't hold back the tears, and he began to weep bitterly. Once his tears were over, he closed his father's eye-lids, and said, "Goodbye, father. I love you, too. And I will not fail you, I swear it."

The next day, King Georgios appointed Morgan as the new Supreme Commander, just as Alexios had predicted.

Alexios had lived a very devout life, with only one major fault against him: his momentary greed during his service to King Athanasios. But he had repented of that, and lived an almost perfect life afterwards, and so Patriarch Pantoleon declared him "Blessed Alexios, and example to us all."
BlessedAlex.jpg

In November, Thomais again approached the King, and said, "Sire, I urge you to find a wife. You need to produce an heir for the dynasty, it is your duty as King."

Georgios had been in a sour mood ever since Alexios had died. The man had been there all of the King's life, he had even raised the King for most of his childhood, and was more like a father to him than Athanasios had been. Now, he exploded at Thomais, shouting, "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!? Do not presume to lecture ME on what my duty is or is not! Let us not forget which of us is the GENIUS here! It is MY mind, MY MIND, that can see beyond anything YOU can even comprehend! Are you really so short-sighted!? I KNOW that the dynasty needs heirs. And if you would actually LOOK at your SURROUNDINGS, you's see that there are more than enough Palaeologi to secure the line. My brother Konstantinos already has a son. My brother Petros and his wife already have two, with another on the way. And even if all of them die before me, there's still my cousin Bartholomaios and his heirs, and even they all die, there's the entire Butrinto branch of the dynasty, descended from my grand-father's half-brother! THE DYNASTY IS SECURE! And in case you haven't noticed, I really don't have a lot of time for a family, what with running my huge demesne and all. You are the one constantly reminding me that I don't have enough time to allocate to all the lands in my demesne, so I'd think that YOU of all people would understand why I can't have a family! But if it'll get you to SHUT UP and LEAVE ME ALONE then I'll find some girl and marry her! YOU LIKE THAT!?" Suddenly he raised his fist, and Thomais flinched, waiting for the blow. Then she heard a thud, and the King grunted in pain. She slowly opened her eyes, and saw the King's left hand holding his right, in a futile attempt to sooth the pain that comes from punching a stone wall. She realised then that the King had his father's temper, maybe even worse, but at least unlike his father he had the self-restraint to unleash it upon inanimate objects rather than living, breathing people. The King looked at her, with genuine remorse in his eyes, and said, "I'm sorry, Thomais. I'm sorry..." and with that he broke into tears.

He came over and began to cry on her shoulder, and she didn't know what to do. In between sobs, he managed to say, "I'm... I'm so sorry. It's just... I'm going crazy with everything that's happening. My realm is so huge, I just don't know what to do. And now I've lost the man who was more of a father to me than my own father! I just... I don't know what to do..." and continued crying.

In January of 1141, the King, as promised, found a bride. Helena Blangas was the daughter of the independent Count of Samos, Theophylaktos Blangas. The wedding took place as soon as possible. And not long after, the new Queen was pregnant with the Royal Couple's first child.
Helena.jpg

In December, a son was born, and he was named Stephanos.
Stephanos.jpg

With a new heir to secure his line, Georgios decided that the time was right to continue his advance into Southern Italy. The next count on his hit list was Count Bouchard of Consenza, and in summer of 1142, the Ultimatum was sent. When Bouchard received the Ultimatum from Georgios, he scoffed, and said, "If that damned Greek wants my land, he'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands."

So Georgios promptly declared war upon Consenza. Bouchard's allies abandoned him, leaving his single county to face the wrath of the only remaining power in the Central Mediterranean.

In mid January Georgios and Morgan landed in Consenza with 4,000 men. Count Bouchard lead his army, 700 strong, into the field. The battle--or, more accurately, the massacre--of Consenza lasted only about 15 minutes, and when the dust had cleared, every last Consenzan soldier lay dead, including Count Bouchard. The Moreans had barely been scratched. Thus began the conquest of Southern Italy...

Last edited:
Georgios caved rather too easily. There's no better way than attacking southern italy to assuage grief and add even more territory to an already huge demesne.

Yes, you could say Georgios has surprised me.

Chief Ragusa said:
Georgios caved rather too easily. There's no better way than attacking southern italy to assuage grief and add even more territory to an already huge demesne.
Yes, these new counties will increase the size of his demesne, but he now has some Angelid Nobles, and granting them lands will help (somewhat) with that problem.

Olaus Petrus said:
Good to see new heir to the throne. Stephanos seems to be decent prince.
Yeah, he's nothing impressive, but at least he's an heir to the throne.

TheMorea.jpg

By mid February of that year (1143) Consenza was completely under Morean control. The Ultimatum was next sent to the Count of Reggio, who also refused to surrender. And so war was declared on February 26th. However, more supplies were needed from the core of the Kingdom, so the Moreans did not march until April. King Georgios left 1,000 men to continue securing Consenza, which left him with 3,000 men to invade Reggio, which was more than enough.

On April 13th, the Morean army encountered the armies of Count Baldwin of Reggio. They could only see about 800 men fighting for Baldwin, and Georgios was confident of victory...

Upon seeing 3,000 Moreans facing him across the field, Count Baldwin called an immediate war council.

His brother, William, was there, along with his close friend, Jordan, and the captain of his "reserves", Alessandro.

William looked at his brother with worry in his eyes, and said, "It is hopeless. We cannot hope to defeat 3,000 men! Not even with Alessandro here! If we are to survive we must surrender and beg the King's mercy!"

Baldwin shook his head, "William, William, William. You are making the same mistake every other enemy of the Morea has made. Ofcourse we cannot overwhelm them, nor can we defeat such an army, even with the most brilliant of Generals, as their own King is a genius in all regards, and would no doubt outsmart us. But... something nobody else has tried to do... focus all attacks on the King... that might work."

Jordan then spoke up, "What about his new Supreme Commander, Morgan Dekanos. They say he is fiercely loyal, and will die before letting any harm come to the King."

"You're right, Jordan," said Baldwin, "Which is why we cut him off. Typical Morean battle tactics have the King leading the main army, with some of the minor generals accompanying him. But the Supreme Commander will stay behind to lead the reserves. That is where Alessandro's men come in. The Moreans aren't even aware that we have them. 1,000 men from northern Italy, and our enemy has no clue they are there. While we engage the front line of the Moreans and attack the King, Alessandro will go 'round the field, and hit Morgan and the reserves from behind. With the reserves tied up in a suprise melee, Morgan will not be able to save the King. We can win this!"

William, Jordan, and Alessandro agreed that this was an excellent plan, and so the troops were prepared.

Georgios looked across the field at the 800 men ready to face him. They would all soon be dead. His plan was simple enough, so simple its genius, he thought to himself. He would lead the heavy infantry, while Konstantinos led the light infantry. Morgan would stay behind with the Knight-Guard (who were by now armed and armoured just like their cousins in Constnatinople--the Kataphraktoi) and the other heavy and light cavalry. The archers would also stay back with Morgan, but would fire off three volleys before the Morean infantry advanced.

The plan began rather well. The three volleys from the archers picked off a good hundred or so of the Reggians. The Reggians had very few archers of their own, and so did little damage in return. Then Georgios sounded the advance.

However, once the fighting began, things did not go according to plan. The Reggians fought like wildmen, and began to overwhelm the Morean infantry with sheer will power. They were all focused on one man and one man only, Georgios, whom they all hated.
Swordfight.jpg

As Morgan watched the fighting, he realised he had to do something. But suddenly, he heard a loud warcry from behind, and saw 1,000 men smashing into his cavalry and archers from behind! But those standards... they weren't Reggian! And that armour, that wasn't Norman armour! Then he realized it, mercenaries. He swore out loud at the realization. The Morean scouts hadn't even detected these mercenaries. Now they were paying the price. His cavalry and archers were suffering heavy casualties in the melee. Suddenly, he was engulfed in the fight, unable to do anything by try to defend himself.

As the fierce fighting on both sides continued, Morgan found a brief moment to check on the King's half of the battle, and didn't see Georgios' standard anywhere. His heart filled with rage, and he hoped the King was still alive. He hadn't forgotten his father's words, "...It is your duty above all else to die in defence of the King's life".

He began to fight his way out of the melee and towards the front. Once he had broken free, he spurred his horse, armour and all, at the enemy. The Reggian soldiers weren't expecting him, and when he slammed into their mass, many were sent flying by the sheer force of the heavy horse. He then began to fight violently towards the Morean position, which was now oddly outnumbered. When he got there, he dismounted and rushed to the centre, where he saw that Georgios was alive. But he had taken a serious wound to the torso, as well as his left arm, leaving him without a shield. As the Morean numbers dwindled, the Reggians were soon upon Morgan, and the Supreme Commander fought violently to defend his King, slaying ten... fifteen... twenty... twenty-five... thirty Reggians in quick succession.
HeatOfBattle.jpg

But even Morgan was not immune to exhaustion. Though his spirit would not give up, his body began to lose energy... but he had to defend the King. Suddenly, he felt a blow strike his left leg, it was a hard blow, and he sank to his knees in pain, then another blow struck, he didn't know where. Then another, and another, and another, and then... blackness.

Georgios saw his friend fall, the Reggians were so full of hatred, they continued to stab him long after he was dead. Georgios was so enraged by this he summoned up what little strength he had, gripped his Grandfather's Sword in his good hand, and rushed them, shouting, "You bastards!" He killed some of them, but they were too many. How did this happen he thought. Suddenly, there was a loud CRACK! and the King saw some hundred Reggians go flying. He turned in the direction of the sound, and saw the Knight-Guard slamming into the enemy, trampling most of the ment they did not send flying.
Cavalry.jpg

This was the blow that was needed, the Reggians fled the field. The Knight-Guard, upon seeing Morgan dead and the King wounded, were filled with a violent rage, and did not let the Reggians escape. They rode them all down, sparing none. Not even Count Baldwin and his brother were spared. Everyone was killed.

The battle of Reggio had been a bloodbath. Nearly all of the 1800 Reggians and Mercenaries had been slain--only a few Mercenaries had managed to escape. But the Moreans had lost some 2300 men, including Morgan.

After mourning the loss of his friend, Georgios proclaimed his brother Konstantinos as the new Supreme Commander.

The siege of Reggio did not last long. On May 14th the castle fell, and Reggio was now also Morean.

Last edited:
Victory against the Normans, but the price was high. Wounded king, dead marshall and thousands of dead soldiers. You can't afford too many victories like this. Remember Pyrrhus of Epirus and don't repeat his mistakes.

Olaus Petrus said:
Victory against the Normans, but the price was high. Wounded king, dead marshall and thousands of dead soldiers. You can't afford too many victories like this. Remember Pyrrhus of Epirus and don't repeat his mistakes.
True, Pyrrhic Victories are something I try to avoid. However, I still have a lot of manpower in reserve. The troops I normally raise in wartime are from my own personal demesne. If I call the whole Kingdom to arms, I have some 47,000 men ready to fight.

It's a pity there;'s no pop up to visit vengeance and retribution upon the defeated foe - We shall tear down their city, plough salt into the earth and sell all survivors into slavery.

Are the Moreans aware ofthe Northern Italian connection?

Crikey, catching up! And glad there is catching up to do. So Alexios passes, and Georgias appears to be a little on edge. Losing his temper, declaring war, that sort of thing.

Chief Ragusa said:
It's a pity there;'s no pop up to visit vengeance and retribution upon the defeated foe - We shall tear down their city, plough salt into the earth and sell all survivors into slavery.
Ah yes, Scipio. If only... if only... ;)

Chief Ragusa said:
Are the Moreans aware ofthe Northern Italian connection?
Not really. I actually made that part up. I had to find some (slightly more) rational explanation as to why 800 Reggians could inflict 2300 casualties on me. :eek:o

stnylan said:
Crikey, catching up! And glad there is catching up to do.
Glad to have you back! :)

stnylan said:
So Alexios passes, and Georgias appears to be a little on edge. Losing his temper, declaring war, that sort of thing.
Yeah. His life isn't going to be a cake walk.

TheMorea.jpg

Only two weeks after Reggio fell, word came to the King that Petros Angelos had died. It was Petros' dying wish that his sons remain in the Morea until a chance to regain power in the Empire presented itself. Georgios II was only too happy to maintain this. It would give him new nobles to help with his demesne problem, and, if one of them could get back into the Empire, it would give him new allies from within the Imperial borders.

King Georgios then summoned the only surviving son of the House of Dekanos, Alexios' youngest son, Prousenos. When Prousenos arrived, he was greeted warmly by the King, who said, "Prousenos, your family has long served mine. Your father was my father's greatest general, as he was mine. In the Inheritance Wars it was your father who saved me from those who would destroy me. Your father died without a reward. Your brother, Morgan, then took his place as Supreme Commander, and fell in battle defending my life. The House of Palaeologus owes the House of Dekanos much... I owe the House of Dekanos much. As reward for the services of your father and brother, and in the hope that their loyalty will be matched by you and your descendants, I grant you the titles Prince of Calabria and Count of Reggio."

Prousenos could not speak for a moment. This was a massive jump in his families fortunes. As far back as they could trace their history the Dekani had never been more than minor land owners. The greatest title any Dekanos had ever held was Supreme Commander of the Morea, but this was no hereditaty title. The Dekani were now going from a minor family to Princes within the Morea. Once he had soaked all of this information in, he knelt and kissed the King's ring, and said, "My lord, I thank you for your gift! I swear now by my father's sword that I shall ever be your loyal vassal, and my sons, and their sons for all generations. If ever you need the House of Dekanos, call upon us, and the Dekani shall answer!"

Georgios smiled, "Then arise, Prince Prousenos." And the two embraced in friendship.

In October the new castle in Korinthos was completed, and a mighty fortress it was. There was no castle in the Morea to match it, and of all Greek castles, only the one that defended Constantinople was greater. The castle stood as a symbol of Morean power and sovereignty.

Things were quiet in the Morea for the next few years.

In Jun of 1145, Kale, the Queen Mother, passed away, and there was much mourning for her. In addition to being the Queen Mother, she was also the Spymistress of the Kingdom. To replace her in her role as Spymistress, King Georgios chose the wife of Patriarch Pantoleon, Anna Megena. Anna was an able Spymistress. Not superb, but not lacking either.

Not even a month later, Zoe Batatzes died. She had never realised her dream of seeing one of her sons on the throne... but she had also escaped judgement for her crimes...

1146 was another quiet year in the Morea.

Shortly after new years of 1147, the Ultimatum was sent to Count Sergio di Salerno. Sergio had seen the fates of the Counts who resisted Georgios, and saw that the Count of Taranto, who gave in to the Ultimatum, still enjoyed his power and relative autonomy, merely having to pay a tribute to the King, and provide soldiers if necessary. Sergio did not want to bring death and destruction to his people, as had happened to Consenza and Reggio, so he accepted the Ultimatum and became a vassal of the Morea.

In February, King Georgios summoned his council. Present were Supreme Commander Prince Konstantinos, Chancellor Thomais Dekana, Patriarch Pantoleon I Angelos, Steward Alvanites Angelos, Spymistress Anna Megena, Queen Helena, and Panagiotes Angelos.

When everyone was seated, Georgios rose and said, "My friends, the Kingdom shall go to war once again! This endeavour shall forever be remembered in history! Our mighty ally, Emperor Andronikos II, has declared war upon the Moslem Emirate of Volga. If you will remember, it was the Volgans who destroyed our sister Kingdom of Georgia all those years ago. It was the dream of my grandfather, Georgios I, to liberate these lands. But he had neither the manpower nor the means to conduct a war against the Volgans, so he merely took Abkhazia, and gave the Morea a foothold in the area. Now we have men, money, and means to invade Volgan Georgia, and liberate the Georgian people! This Fourth Crusade shall at last achieve my grandfather's dream! Georgia shall be Christian again! And it shall be Morean!"

He then looked at those around him, "Konstantinos, my brother! Go immediately to Moldau, raise all the soldiers from my demesne there, and tell Prince Goar that we are in need of his men. Panagiotes, go to Italy, to my demesne there, and rise as many men as you can, then raise the troops from my vassals there, all of them. I will raise the soldeirs from Achaia, Epirus, and the Aegean. We will attack the Volgans will full force! We meet in Abkhazia in four months! Be there!"

As Konstantinos and Panagiotes left to raise the troops, the rest of the council was dismissed. But Georgios had Pantoleon stay, and spoke with him in private, "Holy Father, I need you to come with us."

Patriarch Pantoleon put a hand on the King's shoulder, "My liege, you know I cannot. As Patriarch, it is my duty to stay here and watch over God's flock within your Kingdom."

Georgios nodded, "I know, Pantoleon, I know your job. I gave it to you, remember?"

Pantoleon shook his head, "No, God gave it to me. You were His instrument."

Georgios had to agree, "I guess you're right. But that still doesn't change the fact that I know what your job is. But I need you with me, to bless the men, and the Crusade. If you come with us, and bless us, and we are victorious in our Crusade, it will prove once and for all the legitimacy of your new Patriarchate, and perhaps then the Patriarch of Constantinople will stop his whining. Come with us on this Holy Mission, show the world that you are indeed a Patriarch of God's Church!"

The Patriarch nodded, "Very well then, sire. I shall come."

The King smiled, "Thankyou, my friend! Now, let us prepare! For soon we shall be in Abkhazia!"

Last edited:
Both Kale and Zoe dead. New generation has came to power and old struggles will be forgotten.

Volga campaign should be interesting.

Olaus Petrus said:
Both Kale and Zoe dead. New generation has came to power and old struggles will be forgotten.
Oh yes. But power struggles always find a way of creeping back in...

Olaus Petrus said:
Volga campaign should be interesting.
I hope so. It was very interesting to play, so now I just have to make sure I write it well, so that its interesting to read.

TheMorea.jpg

In April, while Georgios was still building his army, his uncle, Bartholomaios, came to him, with his 120 armed guards. When Bartholomaios reached the camp of the King, only he was permitted to enter, the 120 guards were held outside.

He was then escorted to the King. When Georgios saw his uncle, he smiled and embraced him, and said, "Uncle! How are you?"

Bartholomaios frowned, "Not so good, my King. I am getting old. And to make things worse, our cousin--my overlord, Prince Andreas of Butrinto, has revoked my position as Count of Epieros so that he may give the lands to his eldest son. I demand reparations!"

Georgios, too, frowned, "I'm sorry uncle, but I cannot risk losing Andreas' loyalty, I need his men. But I'll tell you what I can do..."

Bartholomaios said, "I'm listening..."

"Come with us on Crusade to Georgia, and I will give you lands there, and make you a Prince. What say you to this?"

The King's uncle smiled, "That is acceptable."

Georgios embraced his uncle again, "I look forward to our campaign!"

Bartholomaios returned the embrace, and silently wondered to himself how he could ever had disloyal feelings in the past?

By early July, Konstantinos and Panagiotes had returned, and Georgios' army now numbered 13,000. Georgios told his brother, Konstantinos, to remain in the Morea, both as regent and as tutor for young Prince Stephanos. Konstantinos objected, pointing out that as Supreme Commander it was his duty to protect the King. But Georgios insisted, and so Konstantinos remained behind. But Bartholomaios, Panagiotes, and Patriarch Pantoleon went with him.

In August, they landed on the shores of Imeretia, unopposed. Scouts reported that there was no Volgan army anywhere between the coast, and the main fortress in Imeretia, nor were there any for miles after. Apparently, the Roman Army was already running amok within most of the Volgan lands, and the Voglan Army was spread thin.

They soon besieged the castle, and in early September, the garrison realised they weren't going to be reinforced, and so they surrendered. Georgios left 4,000 men in Imeretia, under the command of Panagiotes Angelos. He took the other 9,000 to the next province, Kakheti. The fortress in Kakheti was strong, heavily fortified, with a numerous garrison and seemingly endless supplies. In December, Tajaddin, the Emir of Kakheti, arrived to lift the siege with 3,000 men. When he saw the size of the Morean Army, he hesitated, realising he was outnumbered 3 to 1.

This hesitation was just the opportunity Georgios needed. On December 8th, he left just enough men to cover the castle, and took the rest of his army to face Tajaddin.

The resulting battle was a bloodbath. Georgios fought with more zeal than had ever been seen in his generation. Within an hour, the slaughter was over. The final count of the dead was 700 for the Moreans, and 2,600 for the Volgans. Tajaddin, however, managed to escape.
GeorgiosD.jpg

(this was taken over four years after the battle, so that's why it says he's 36. He was only 32 when he gained the "zealous" trait.)

The siege would drag on for another two months, ending on the 1st of February, 1148.

In March, Georgios began his march to Guria. However, scouts soon reported that Emir Tajaddin was on his way back, with 3,000 more soldiers, the best the Volgan Army could spare from their war with Rome. They were headed straight for Kakheti.

Georgios knew that if he returned to Kakheti in full force, Tajaddin would get word of it, and reinforce Guria. The fortress of Guria was even stronger than Kakheti's, and if Tajaddin were allowed to reinforce it, Georgios would have no hope. But if he left Kakheti undefended, Tajaddin would take it with ease, and cut the Morean Army off from its supplies.

So, he decided that a small army had to be sent back to Kakheti. He could only spare a thousand, and knew that the men he sent were probably being sent to their deaths. He had Panagiotes find for him a young officer, who was pious, yet ambitious.

The answer came in the form of a man by the name of Hektor, a Captain of a Hundred from the island of Kythera.

Georgios wanted to speak with Hektor in private, before the thousand departed.

When they were alone, Georgios said, "Captain Hektor, are you aware of the task you have been chosen for?"

Hektor nodded, "I am, sire."

"Are you ready to face this task?"

"I am. For God, and my country... and for you, sire."

The King paused for a minute, then said, "Hektor... it is a very uncommon name these days among Hellenes."

"Yes, sire. But my parents wanted to name me after a very strong man, and there were already two boys in my village named Achilles."

"So they named you Hektor?"

"Yes. And I paid for it, too. Both boys named Achilles would beat on me almost every day. But it made me strong."

The King smiled, "I like your attitude, Hektor."

"Thankyou, sire."

"Hektor, your rank does not suit your task. I hereby promote you. You shall now be, 'Lord Hektor, King's Magistrate of Kakheti'. You are my voice in Kakheti, now and always. I give you a thousand soldiers to defend the province. Can I trust you not to fail me, Lord Hektor?"

Hektor smiled and bowed, "You can trust me, sire. I will not fail you."

"Then take your Thousand, and get to Kakheti at once!"

Hektor saluted and left. Georgios stared after him... there goes a brave man, likely to his death, he thought.

Last edited:
Good early success in war. Hopefully you are able to stop their counterattack without great loss of men, but Hektor's position doesn't look too good.

With a name like Hektor he should be the hero in a losing cause...

Hektor had a long and successful career until he met Achilles. As long as he does not run into anyone of that name, he'll do fine.

Georgios II is attempting to finish off one of the conquests Georgios I never got around to finishing,

Olaus Petrus said:
Good early success in war. Hopefully you are able to stop their counterattack without great loss of men, but Hektor's position doesn't look too good.
Aye, it is an ugly position. But wait 'till you see what he makes of it.

stnylan said:
With a name like Hektor he should be the hero in a losing cause...
Chief Ragusa said:
Hektor had a long and successful career until he met Achilles. As long as he does not run into anyone of that name, he'll do fine.
I think its a good thing then that Volgans rarely ever name their children Achilles. ;)

Chief Ragusa said:
Georgios II is attempting to finish off one of the conquests Georgios I never got around to finishing,
Yup. I wonder what the later Kings named Georgios will do if this one takes all of Georgia... ;)

TheMorea.jpg

"DAMNATION!" Hektor shouted as he banged his fist onto the table in the Command Tent. "Three days away?"

The scout nodded, a little frightened by Hektor's temper, "Yes, my lord. Emir Tajaddin is only three days away from our position. He's conscripted some locals, and his numbers have increased to 3500 men."

"And we only have a Thousand..." Hektor swore again in frustration. How was he expected to hold Kakheti with 1,000 men?

He dismissed the scout, and collapsed into his chair. What to do? What to do? If only Alexios were still here. He'd know what to do.

Hektor had only ever met Alexios Dekanos once, but what an impression the Supreme Commander had made. Hektor had also read all about Alexios' militart career, and he wished to God that the great general were still alive.

But what to do? What to do? ... ... ... ... ... ... ! ... What would Alexios do? What would Alexios do in this position, where he knew defeat was imminent? Hektor thought for a while, and then it came to him!

The time to prepare had passed. The two armies were now lined up across the field, merely awaiting the order to advance.

Hektor could see his men shaking in their boots, and knew the time had come to initiate his plan. He rode infront of the Thousand, and turned his horse to face them. "Men!" He shouted, "I can see the fear in your eyes! We face greater than three to one odds today! It is a grim day indeed. But I ask you this: What do these men have, besides numbers, that you should fear them? What skills, history, or reputation do these Volgans have that should cause you to tremble in your boots?"

The men were silent, too scared to even speak. So he continued, "They have nothing! NOTHING! But WE, WE have more! We are Moreans! We are GREEKS! We have many things they should fear! Nearly 500 years before our Saviour's birth, Greeks fought a battle like this one, at a place called Thermopylae! The enemy: The Persian Empire. They advanced with an army numbering TWO MILLION according to Herodotus! TWO MILLION! Most of you cannot even comprehend that number! Think of the night sky... all the stars you can see on a clear night... the number of Persian camp fires would have dwarfed the stars as though they were nothing! That is how many Persians there were! Many many many times more than the 3,500 we face! And for a time, no one dared defy this great horde. Until a King, named Leonidas-the lion-, stood up to them. He advanced to Thermopylae with 300 of his warriors, a mere 300, and said he would hold the ground until his death. Some 5,000 other Greeks, inspired by his courage, joined him, and for two days they gave the Persians all hell! But on the third day, the situation seemed hopeless, and many of the Greeks left Leonidas. Only the men of Sparta-Leonidas' city- and Thespiae remained. But these brave few fought the Persians to the bitter end, preferring to die in battle than surrender their honour. In those three days of battle, Herodotus tells us that over 10,000 Persians were slain. The Greeks may have lost, but they did their job, they gave the Persians hell, and inflicted massive casualties upon them! But the war did not end after Thermopylae, no. After Thermopylae we Greeks engaged the Persians again, first in a Naval Battle at Salamis, and then again on land at Plataea, and in both battles we defeated the Persian Army, and drove them forever from our shores!"

The men seemed to be gaining a little confidence from hearing what their ancestors-and thus they themselves- were capable of. Now was the time to finish the speech, "Men! We are now in Leonidas' position! If we break here, we show the Volgans that victory over the Morea is possible, we encourage them, and open the door to our Empire's defeat! BUT, if we hold to the last, like Leonidas and his men, and give the Volgans all hell, we will show them that the spirit of Greece lives on! We will make them learn the high price of victory over the Greek people! WE WILL HURT THEM!"

The men began to cheer, and Hektor said, "If we should follow in the footsteps of Leonidas, we will win for ourselves the status of heroes! And Moreans shall tell of our courage throughout the ages, as Greeks tell of Leonidas even today! TO HONOUR AND GLORY!"

The cheer now rose to a loud roar. The troops began to bang their weapons against their shields, and raised a loud cry unto heaven. It could be heard across the field. The Volgans began to tremble upon hearing what was to them an un-earthly cry coming from their enemy, and Emir Tajaddin knew true fear. He had the numbers, he even had the hill, an excellent terrain advantage, but he knew that morale was always the greatest determining factor in a battle, and this small Greek army had that advantage, and had stolen the spirit from his own men. He knew he had to do something to break the morale of the Greeks, or it was all over. But what? They had most of their spears in the centre... his cavalry had to hit a flank... the right! The Morean Right was poorly defended against a cavalry attack. One massive charge by his cavalry could break their flank, and as the flank collapsed, perhaps the rest of the men would abandon this Hektor to his deserved death. The order was given, and the cavalry charged the Morean Right flank.

The attack did not go as planned. The cavalry slammed into the right, and dealt some heavy casualties, but Hektor continued to shout to his men, though Tajaddin could not hear what was being said from this distance. But whatever Hektor said, it worked. The spears formed up, and attacked the cavalry while they were entangled with the right, and slew every Volgan horseman who couldn't escape. The incredibly small number of cavalry who escaped with their lives fled right past the Emir, and ignored his pleas for them to take heart and remain.

Spurred on by their early victory, the Moreans now rushed up the hill at Tajaddin's remaining forces. His archers fired five volleys into the Moreans before the lines met, and some hundred men fell on their way up the hill. But the Moreans soldiered on, as though they knew no fear. As the lines slammed together, there was a loud crash as shields, swords, and armour all collided in one massive incohesive melee.

The Moreans fought like madmen, and this leader of theirs, this Hektor, he fought with even more insanity than the others. How was this possible? It was as though they were possesed with the very spirits of the old Spartans, and were only Morean in body. His men were terrified by the ferocity of the Morean attack, and soon broke. The Emir tried to rescue his men's morale, "MEN! THERE ARE ONLY A FEW HUNDRED OF THEM LEFT! YOU STILL NUMBER OVER A THOUSAND! DO NOT FLEE! WE CAN WIN THIS! WE CAN WI--" Suddenly an arrow pierced through a weak piont in his armour, barely missing the Emir's heart. He looked down to see it sticking clear through him, and was soon overpowered by the advancing Morean Army. With the Emir dead, the those few Volgans who had not fled now lost heart as well, and some 1,500 men ran from the 500 surviving Moreans.

There now arose from the Moreans a loud cry of victory, and Hektor smiled. His men had fought well, worthy of Leonidas and his Spartans, and they had WON! The King would be most pleased to hear of this...

Last edited: