• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(31881)

Field Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
As the threadtitle indicates, I was wondering if anybody had a number for the losses of German generals in WW2.

If possible, further breakdown of the total number would be appreciated.
e.g.
number of marshalls, generals, lieutenant-generals, major-generals
(i'm sure the German system has a few more distinctions, but basically from major-general up with total for each)
manner of loss - total in combat vs. noncombat
by position - how many (deputy) army(group) commanders, (deputy) chiefs of staff, (deputy) corps commanders, divisional commanders, rear/admin, others?
circumstance - combat, injuries sustained in combat, MIA, captured, killed by mines, died in air crashes, died in car crashes, disease, shot by higher-ups, committed suicide to avoid capture, committed suicide.

Similar numbers for the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine if you have them would also be good.
:D
(Though some might not apply as much e.g. landmines and some might need a bit of translation e.g. ranks)

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WWgermanA.htm
Of the seventeen field marshals in the German Army, ten were relieved of their commands by the Fuehrer in the course of the war, three were killed after the July Plot, two were killed in action, one was taken prisoner and only one remained throughout the war without being subject to discipline.

So for field marshals - of 17 total: 10 relieved, 3 executed, 2 KIA, 1 POW.

Next link has some more numbers...

http://www.world-war-2.info/facts/
Germany lost 110 Division Commanders in combat
The average German officer slot had to be refilled 9.2 times
84 German Generals were executed by Hitler
Germany lost 136 Generals, which averages out to be 1 dead General every 2 weeks

Not quite as systematic a breakdown as i was looking for... don't suppose anybody out there has anything more substantial?
/me listens to crickets.

There is a list of all German generals of the second world war somewhere out there on the net but I just can't locate it at the moment - nor can I locate the thread where someone gave me the link. The website has pictures, biographies and is in a table format. Maybe someone knows the one I mean?

Painstakingly going through something like and then cross-referencing that would give you the information you wanted. But it would take many hours of work. I've not seen the breakdown of deaths and causes given in a complete format in any book or website.

Strangely enough I can find 18 German fieldmarshals in the German army in WWII, not 17

1 Keitel, Chef OKW
2 von Rundstedt. sacked several times
3 von Bock, sacked then KIA in 1945
4 von Leeb, sacked
5 Brauchitsch, sacked
6 von Kluge, suicide after july plot
7 von Küchler, sacked
8 Rommel, suicide after july plot
9 von Manstein, sacked
10 von Reichenau, died of natural causes (a stroke)
11 Model, suicide in april 1945
12 List, sacked
13 von Weichs, sacked
14 Busch, sacked
15 Schörner, Commander army group Centre in 1945
16 von Witzleben, murdered after july plot
17 von Kleist, sacked
18 Paulus, POW

Veldmaarschalk said:
Strangely enough I can find 18 German fieldmarshals in the German army in WWII, not 17

1 Keitel, Chef OKW
2 von Rundstedt. sacked several times
3 von Bock, sacked then KIA in 1945
4 von Leeb, sacked
5 Brauchitsch, sacked
6 von Kluge, suicide after july plot
7 von Küchler, sacked
8 Rommel, suicide after july plot
9 von Manstein, sacked
10 von Reichenau, died of natural causes (a stroke)
11 Model, suicide in april 1945
12 List, sacked
13 von Weichs, sacked
14 Busch, sacked
15 Schörner, Commander army group Centre in 1945
16 von Witzleben, murdered after july plot
17 von Kleist, sacked
18 Paulus, POW
Wikipedia has even more, for example you forgot Kesselring.

Archdevil said:
Wikipedia has even more, for example you forgot Kesselring.

Kesselring and the others in that list are Luftwaffe marshals, all tough Kesselring also commanded groundtroops, he wasn't part of the German army (Heer) but of the German airforce (Luftwaffe). The army (Heer), airforce (Luftwaffe) and Navy (Kriegsmarine) made up the german armed forces (Wehrmacht)

Blomberg didn't really serve during WWII, he was sacked in 1938 and Böhm was only an honarary marshal.

Zebedee said:
There is a list of all German generals of the second world war somewhere out there on the net but I just can't locate it at the moment - nor can I locate the thread where someone gave me the link. The website has pictures, biographies and is in a table format. Maybe someone knows the one I mean?
Hmm... the closest i can think of would be
http://generals.dk/
http://generals.dk/nation/Germany.html

But might be two different sites being described...
:eek:

Yeah, it's not that site (which isn't comprehensive by any means in any case).

It's in a table format with every German officer of General rank and above. Darn this lack of search function. It was in a thread I started in HoI2 modifications forum about missing pictures. Just can't find the thing.

You might try over at axishistory.com or Feldgrau.com. There are probably a lot of posters there with the information you require at their fingertips.

Should you find the website you mention, feel free to post the link.
:D

Did manage to find a link to a review: http://stonebooks.com/archives/961218.shtml

MacLean, French L.
Quiet Flows the Rhine: German General Officer Causalties in World War II. Winnipeg: J. J. Fedorowicz (Publishing), 1996.
ISBN 0-921991-32-0

This unusual little volume analyzes the loss of "approximately 150 division, corps, and army commanders who were killed in action or died of wounds received in action."

If worse comes to worse, i suppose this book could be hunted down.
Though it seems focused on casualties, and i'm wondering if it includes (deputy) chiefs of staff, natural causes, etc.
And not so sure whether it contains data for the Waffen-SS, Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine.
But still looks like an interesting title.

Danke.
Since information just got added... i'll add some more... in addition to the book/number above for KIA.
The Soviet Union captured 179 German generals.

Obviously there would also be POW-generals in the hands of other Allied (e.g. US/UK/etc) powers.

Now i'm off to surf that site just mentioned, looks very interesting!