+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Doomsday: Republic & Reich

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries

Doomsday: Republic & Reich

Prologue – Jan 1st, 1936
    In later years, when care-worn he ruled an Empire spanning three continents locked in mortal struggle against a relentless and powerful foe, Adolf Hitler would fondly remember 1936. In the previous three years, he had lifted a people of 80 million out of abject poverty and despair, given it back its sense of pride and the belief in its fate-preordained place as Herrenvolk – a Master Race. That had been a great achievement, but it was only in 1936 that the restoration of German glory and German power had began in earnest. He had openly renounced the shameful treaties of Versailles and Locarno, reinstated conscription and reasserted German sovereignty over the whole national territory by means of the march into the Rheinland. Although dwarfed by later victories, that march had actually been his greatest gamble; Never again would he have as little to back up his bluff as that time. Never was the probable reaction of his opponents so hard to fathom, since their mettle hadn’t yet been tested.

The forty-eight hours after the re-occupation had been the most nervous in his life. Had the French reacted militarily, he would have had to pull back with his tail between his legs. He went to Berghof to await news of the outcome of his gamble. In the dawn of the third day, after a sleepless night, he had greeted the rising sun on the large terrace of his mountain retreat. The sun had failed to show up, covered as often in that time of the year by leaden clouds, but some feeble light filtered through the overcast. And basking in that grey light, he had known at last that the Thousand Year Reich would become a reality and not just a flight of fancy. He had finally known that he was a genius ordained by fate to save the German race, and not just some politico with delusions of grandeur. And after the Rheinland, his people knew this too.

1936 had also been the year of the Berlin Olympics, and the civil war in Spain… But the Rheinland… that was when he knew that the western powers were too weak in spirit to oppose his will. England – admirable as it’s Empire was – was complacent and insular. France, cowardly and cringing. And America? At the time, the mere idea that America could one day become a serious threat to his Reich was laughable. America was more insular even than Britain, rich but spoilt and indulgent, and preoccupied with her internal troubles. Their entire army by 1936 would hardly have been adequate for a good German parade. No, in 1936 the Führer feared Soviet Russia, and respected Britain but doubted America would have much impact on the future of Germany except perhaps as trading partner.

Later came the great political coups, the Blitzkriegs, the great conquests… the ever more destructive weapons and more powerful foes… And somehow, no other year had ever made him as happy as 1936. It had been a good year; and yet, 1936 was the year that set the German Reich irrevocably on the road towards DOOMSDAY!
    Last edited by The Yogi; 03-04-2006 at 01:08.
    4x WritAAR of the week, Best Character Writer of the Week (for Fu Manchu), June 28th 2006
    Where the Iron Crosses grow (Completed) PDF OscAAR for Best Completed HOI AAR
    Master Plan of Fu Manchu (Completed) PDF
    Empire of Fu Manchu (In progress) PDF x1 Weekly AAR Showcase, AARland Choice AwAARds;Fav.HOI1/2 AAR & Fav.HOI1/2 Narrative,Q2 2006 & Q3 2007
    The Eagle and the Lion (On hold) Golden Readers Choice HOI2 AwAARd, AARland Choice AwAARds-Favourite HOI1/2 AAR, 2005 Q4 and 2006 Q1
    Knights of the Western Empire (On Hold)
    The III Reich in World War III (In progress)

The Fuehrer of the Dance Mettermrck's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEast India CompanyEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryGalactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

December 31, 1935

The wooden door opened with a slight whine, a sign of its age. The men at the table turned to appraise the newcomer, though none seemed eager to put down their drinks and cigars. It was an occasion, after all, in which all the players were known.

”Ah, Edward, glad you could join us,” said the man at the head of the table. ”I believe you know everyone here…Rex, Harry, the rest of the gang?”

The guest nodded and casually assumed his place in the one remaining empty seat. ”Yes, Mr. President.”

Roosevelt laughed, leaning back with ease, his cigar dangling prominently from his hand. ”Franklin behind doors, Edward. Out there, it’s Mr. President and Mayor Crump. In here, it’s a bunch of Democrats eyeing November.”

Now the murmur of conversation which hadn’t quite died out, did so. A few cigars were politely put out and some of the assembled squeaked their chairs closer to the table. A little business was mixing with the pleasure.

”Now, now, don’t get too nervous, gentlemen, I shan’t keep you long. Eleanor is allowing one hour only, and then it’s off to another ball or some such. The perils of holidays at the White House,” he said easily to appreciative chuckles.

”With Louis laid up for a time, I leave it to you gentlemen to keep me appraised of things. I look forward to an evening of polite conversation, which means that of the dull sort,” he said to another round of laughter. ”But I wanted a chance for a brief face to face beforehand.” He leaned back, impulsively gesturing with his hand for them to proceed.

”Hoover’s not running. He’s too smart to risk certain embarrassment.”

There were some quick nods. This was no surprise.

”Senator Borah’s likely. His people have been quite mum lately.”

”A sure sign,” Roosevelt gibed, tapping the table with his fingers for emphasis. He turned to another of his advisors. ”Sam, you’ve been awful quiet.”

Rosenman leaned back, his head cocked in thought, a typical ‘Brain’. ”I’m not one for political strategy, but Knox is in. Landon, too, if he plays it right.”

There were some murmurs of agreement.

Roosevelt looked calm as he surveyed the room and then set down his half-finished cigar with a regretful sigh. ”A shame to cut this short. Well, no surprises then. I think we’re sound domestically, and all’s quiet overseas, yes?”

As if to confirm his opinion of foreign affairs, a few chairs groaned as men began to rise, in obvious conclusion to the brief meeting. ”Not unless Knox has a hankering for Ethiopia,” one murmured to a spate of guffawing.

”Or Germans…”

”That, gentlemen,” Roosevelt said with gusto as he decided on another puff, ”is why I am going to win this election. I will never have to worry about Italians or certainly Germans, not while I’m in office,” he concluded.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: Rome

S. Latitude 47° 9′, W. Longitude 126° 43′
    Blog Entries
    Cool! Two of my favorite writers in the same AAR. Needlessly to say, I'll be following this!
    The Rodina and the Shackles of Humanity - A Soviet HOI3 AAR

"The Italians have a saying, Lemon, 'Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.' And, although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct." - Jack in 30 Rock

Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2

I too look forward to this. While I rarely post I do read all of Mettermrck's AAR's

Now he has teamed up with another great writer. No doubt a great AAR is in the making.

HoI AnthologyDiplomacyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi

Doomsday, The Yogi and Mettermrck; sounds almost like The Holy Trinity

Excellent start, I will be following closely!
    My spambot broke, now I have to write everything myself.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup.

Workers of the world, igni-* err... unite!

ooo...very interesting! i drool at the thought of The Yogi and Mettermrck working together on an aar
    The Precise History of New England -AAR Writer of the Week 5/21/06-2/28-06
    doot doot doot 4D6574 Owner of 1 Yoyo dollar, $4-anonymous4401
    Fan of the Week 2/8/06-2/15/06

Was he free? Was he happy? The question is absurd:
    Had anything been wrong, we should certainly have heard.

#1 Producer of lame excuses Blodwen's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2

Wahey! What a double team, the writers of the three most read AAR's for the HoI series together as one.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis500k club

Blog Entries
    Oh dear... just when I'd started a new AAR....

Holy Trinity hey.... sounds like it should be fun anyway

*grabs popcorn, checks for no-smoking sign and lights up*
    Tolerance, Political Liberty & The rule of law

My current AAR;
    The Great Power Struggle - Change & Conflict in the 20thC Read it here Updated; 12-04-12

My Ink-Well for a list of all my AARs; See it here

Currently Reading;
    By the People, The Great War (mod 1914) by Kurt_SteinerRead it here

Sir Clive Wolfe, WritAAR of the Week 01-01-06

Sure, the writers are famous, celebrities, etc...but what a good read so far! I love the music going alogn with such a high quality of writing as what you boys have here.

Lady General
    Darkest HourHearts of Iron IIIIron CrossSemper Fi

Can it get any better than Yogi and Mettermrck producing an AAR together?
    A wonderful idea.
    And great start.
    One time writAAR of the week.
    One time best characterwritAAR of the week.
    For: CATWAR, an alternate USA AAR.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by GrimReaper
    Doomsday, The Yogi and Mettermrck; sounds almost like The Holy Trinity

Excellent start, I will be following closely!

I Totally agree, can't wait to get more updates two authors should mean updates twice as fast.
    "How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct." - Benjamin Disraeli

"Morality may consist solely in the courage of making a choice." - Leon Blum

HoI AnthologyCities in MotionEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3For the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

**Subcribes**
    The price of a memory is the memory of the sorrow it brings - Duritz

We have a great objective - the light on the hill - which we aim to reach by working for the betterment of mankind not only here but anywhere we may give a helping hand. If it were not for that, the Labour movement would not be worth fighting for. - Ben Chifley

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth, more than ruin, more even than death... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. - Bertrand Russell

Who are these upstarts?!

(Just kidding, looking forward with more than twice the usual anticipation for the next update.)

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight

Man this should be good. Clash of the titans.

I don't see how Mettermrck can lose though, the US simply has to big a manpower advantage and Yogi no matter how well he fights will bleed a lot in the conquest of Europe.
    Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

200k clubHoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

This is going to be one jolly great AAR. The opening set the stage perfectly and now I can’t wait to read more. I am looking forward to this
    EUIII AAR: The lilies of France
    Awarded Best Character Writer of the Week 25. Feb 2007
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 22. April 2007

HoI2 AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller – A Norwegian AAR
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 25. Sept 2005
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 25. Jan 2006
    Awarded Fan of the Week 26. March 2006, 7. October 2007 and 10. November 2008
    Boer War AAR: Joe’s War- a Boer War AAR

Leading the Mombotian Horde Lurken's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2

At the Temple of Mombot, nailing up 103 boards
    Yogi and Mettermrck, oh my Bob...how can they fail now?
    "Godfather of the Superpower games" according to people
    Bought a big case of beer to Pdox
    Proud owner of 3 mouldy Phoenix cookies ●●●
    Pathetic and Brave King of Poland in Battlefront IV - Lords of War
    Shifty Leader of <random/> nation in Diplomacy Universalis 1.5

Rythin, the mad warmongerer and Lurken, the semi-peaceful builder in
    "Lurken and Rythin in the land of sand - The wacky Mzab adventures." - it's aaalive....Well...not really. It is quite dead. Undead?
    Minister of Information and Groupies for OT-President rafiki

The plight and return of B'mo'otm - an AAR, like I've never done before - Redux

Lt.-Colonel of Guerillas Singleton Mosby's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneLegioThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2Penumbra - Black PlagueEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold
    Semper FiShip Simulator ExtremesSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Mosby's Confederacy, Guerilla territory, VA. CSA
    Wow, two great writaars. And Doomsday. NIce.....Is this the first one of the Doomsday landrush?

'Any system which aims at taking freedom by open force to other peoples will only make that freedom hated and prevent its triumph. '
    - Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord

As the theme music echoes in my ears - I wait for more pearls to be cast before this swine!

DiplomacyDivine WindFor the MotherlandEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

A great opportunity to read an AAR of The faumous Yogi AND the faumous Mettermrck. Wonderfull
    Snake IV used to be a regular, but not anymore. You might, however, come across him at rare occasions, but that is so seldom you'll manage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast