• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KaRei

Lt. General
14 Badges
Dec 27, 2005
  • Ancient Space
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Stellaris
  • Age of Wonders
ModLauncher.jpg

You can download Mod Launcher here.​

Features (version 1.0.5):
  • compatible with WinXP (compatibility of 1.0.5 with Win98 wasn't confirmed for now, but it should work there as well)
  • finding and displaying mods
  • moddir like support of maps
  • moddir like support of music
  • moddir like support of credits
  • moddir like support of intro
  • automatic recopy of missing files from "Gfx\Map\Units", "Gfx\Map\Units\bmp" and "Gfx\Palette"
  • NEW! removed bug in music preparation

Manual

1 - Introduction - Moddir and Mod Launcher
2 - Instalation
3 - Launching the program
4 - Automatic backups
5 - Installing mods
6 - Mod names
7 - Shields
8 - Launching mods
9 - Modified army units
10 - Modified map
11 - Modified music
12 - Modified video
13 - Removing Mod Launcher
14 - FAQs

1. Introduction - Moddir and Mod Launcher
If you was searching for some mods for Eu2, you probably met a word "moddir". This mystical word means a separate directory with modified files (mod+directory=moddir). Because modified files are separated in the moddir, you don't loss your original Eu2 files and more than that, you can have several mods within Eu2, each in its own directory. Moddirs are usually placed directly into main Eu2 folder, but still files in them are separated from the original files.

Here is an example of filetree with two moddirs:
Code:
Program Files
 L- Europa Universalis 2
     |- Eu2.exe
     |- AI
     |- AVI
     |- DB
     |- Config
     |
     |- Mod_No1      [I]<- this is moddir[/I]
     |   |- AI
     |   |- DB
     |   |- Scenarios
     |   L- ...
     |
     L- Mod_No2      [I]<- this is another moddir[/I]
         |- AI
         |- DB
         |- Scenarios
         L- ...
When you launch a mod that is placed in a moddir, almost any file located in such moddir is then loaded instead of the original file.
Till here it seems to be perfect, except of the "almost" any file.

Files that aren't supported by the standard moddir functionality are for example:
- map files
- music files
- video files
- credits file
When some mod had a modified map, it couldn't be used in moddir, but its modified map had to rewrite the original map files.

Mod Launcher was created to fill this missing space in moddir functionality. Its major task is to create a moddir-like support for map, music and video files. When you're using Mod Launcher, you can place modified map or music in the moddir like it would be supported, and Mod Launcher automaticaly prepare the modified map, music or video for the game by itself. It is backuping the original files, so you won't loss your original game by using a mod with custom map, and you can even have mods with different map for each.

Mod Launcher displays your Eu2 mods on its screen and allows you to launch any of them by simple clicking on its symbol. So you don't need tons of shortcuts on desktop for all your Eu2 mods, just one Mod Launcher shortcut. And because you can have all your mods (moddirs) within one Eu2 folder, and not several Eu2 copies for each map, it can save a lot of diskspace.

2. Instalation
After downloading the program doesn't need any special instalation. You must only place it directly into Eu2 folder. Place its shortcut on the desktop if you want. Then ensure that your Eu2 folder has switched-off "read only" attribute for itself and all its subfolders and files.
If you have older version of Mod Launcher, just replace the old EXE with the new one. It doesn't require any other special manipulation.

3. Launching the program
Run the "Mod Launcher.exe" or its shortcut from desktop instead "Eu2.exe". Program will at first check if it's placed in correct folder. If it won't detect file "Eu2.exe", a message will appear and loading will be canceled. If Mod Launcher is placed correctly, it will then find all mods (moddirs) and check their names. Moddir name can't contain spaces. If Mod Launcher detects some, a message will appear. Name of mod where spaces were found will be displayed in the top of the message box. Mod Launcher will then backup map, music, video and credits files. In the end will then appear a main screen with shields symbolizing the mods.

4. Automatic backups
Backups created by Mod Launcher are named in style Default_filename.xxx and are placed in same folder as their models.
The program can't recognize if the file he wants to backup is really original or was replaced by some mod already before. He will backup all files that are matching the original file names, but he won't backup files that has already their backups.

Mod Launcher is backuping these files:
- all original files from "Map" folder
- all original TXT files from "Music" folder
- all original BIK and EXE files from "AVI" folder
- file "credits.txt" from "DB" folder
- file "music.ini" from main Eu2 folder

5. Installing mods
Any mod of Eu2 should be placed in separate directory (moddir) within the main Eu2 folder. Most of the mods are already archived moddirs. Unpack the archive directly into your main "Europa Universalis II" folder (the mod should be then in a separate moddir). Some mods, like AGCEEP, are released as installers. Run the installer, in most cases it will create moddir by itself.

Mod Launcher seems to be widely used, so most of the mods are already designed as moddirs even when they have modified maps. So you should have no large problems with installing new mods. Some older releases of mods may be missing this support, and you may find in their installation instructions "replace vanilla (original) Eu2 files" or "make a copy of Eu2". As Mod Launcher users you DON'T NEED TO DO THIS. You can place also these mods in separate folders as any ordinary mod. Only be careful with old mods with installers, because these old installers can be designed to rewrite original files.

Some mods can include BAT files and these mods always refers on them as on their launchers. You can use Mod Launcher instead as well.

6. Mod names
Mod Launcher uses moddir names as mod names. Moddir names can't contain spaces. If you want to see spaces in name when displayed in Mod Launcher, use '_' (underline) in folder name. Mod Launcher displays all '_' as spaces.
The program provides each mod a limited space to display its name. Each mod has 2 lines of limited length. If name is too long, its ends will be cutted.

Vanilla game is always displayed as "Europa Universalis II".

7. Shields
Mod Launcher displays the mods as shields. Vanilla game uses as its shield a vanilla shape shield with Paradox logo inside. Mods are using EGUFSM shape shields. If you want to use custom shield for some mod, create an image and place it directly in the mod folder as "Shield.bmp". Recommended size of image is 56x57 pixels. Transparent color is true green (0,255,0). Image must be in 24bit color format.

8. Launching mods
In the main window you can see shields representing vanilla game and the mods. By LMB clicking on its shield, you'll launch the game or mod. Mod Launcher will automatically prepare custom map, music, video or credits if some of these is included in the mod. If the mod doesn't include map, music or video, Mod Launcher will prepare the vanilla files from backups. After the preparations the program will keep the rest on moddir functionality of Eu2.

9. Modified army units
Game doesn't load a file from moddir unless the file exists also in vanilla game. That's why modified army units using army TAGs unused by vanilla game doesn't appear in the game when launched. This is easily fixable by recopying of files missing in vanilla game from moddir, exactly from folders:
- Gfx\Map\Units
- Gfx\Map\Units\Bmp
- Gfx\Palette

You can often find this step of recopying files in mod's instalation instructions. Mod Launcher is doing this task for you automatically, so you can skip this step and forget about it.

10. Modified map
Modified map should be placed in "Map" folder in the moddir. Mod Launcher will prepare it automaticaly by itself when needed so the map doesn't need any care from the side of user. Backuped map files will be automaticaly used for vanilla game and for mods without modified map.

11. Modified music
Also the music doesn't need any care from the side of users. Only modders must have one thing in their mind - modified playlists should always end with new line. Mod Launcher at first prepares the playlists, then it prepares the MP3s.

Because MP3s are one of the largest files in Eu2, Mod Launcher is handling them without backups. If two MP3s (one in a mod and the second in vanilla folder) would have same names the program would take them as two same songs and thus any of them wouldn't be replaced by the second one.

12. Modified video
Modified video should be placed in "AVI" folder in the moddir. Mod Launcher will prepare it automaticaly by itself when needed so the video doesn't need any care from the side of user. Backuped video files will be automaticaly used for vanilla game and for mods without modified video.

13. Removing Mod Launcher
If you'll want to remove Mod Launcher some day, click on the "Prepare to Remove" button in the main Mod Launcher screen. This button will restore vanilla game and will remove all backups. Then you can delete the Mod Launcher from your PC.

14. FAQs
On which systems can I run Mod Launcher?
Mod Launcher 1.0 and 1.0.1 works only on Windows XP. Version 1.0.2 is compatible with Windows XP and 98.

Wasn't it said that maps aren't moddable using Moddir? How can Mod Launcher change it?
Yes, it was said. Moddir by itself doesn't support modified maps. Mod Launcher is a program that prepare modified map for the game before it launches the mod. Thus the mod will be launched with the correct map. Some large mods, like MyMAP, came with BAT files that are making almost the same for the mod for which they were created. Mod Launcher is something like universal BAT file, but with much more power.

Works Mod Launcher also on other games from Paradox?
Not yet. For now it is still only for Eu2.

Can I have also mods for different Eu2 patches, especially 1.08 and 1.09, in one folder?
No, this isn't supported by Mod Launcher. In this case you must still have two copies of Eu2 - one with patch 1.08, the second with 1.09. Place Mod Launcher in both copies and make shortcuts for both on the desktop.

I launched a mod by Mod Launcher, but it doesn't display any scenarios.
Check the moddir name. Most probably it contains a space. Replace space in the name by '_' (underline) and it should work.

Which music/map are using mods that hasn't their modification?
They are using files from backups.

Will we be able to simply paste the new version of Mod Launcher over the old one?
Yes. New versions of Mod Launcher are designed to simply replace the old ones. You don't need to do anything else than replace old "Mod Launcher.exe" by the new one. New Mod Launcher will automatically detect all mods, backups and actual stage of its predecessor.

I used Mod Launcher 1.0.2 on a mod with modified music, but after the mod has launched, the music doesn't play. When launching vanilla or other mods, it's OK.
If you used Mod Launcher 1.0.2 on a mod with modified music and you didn't hear anything, open the file "Default_music.ini" placed directly in Eu2 folder and behind the last word Music write symbol '\' (backslash). Now it should work. This bug was corrected in 1.0.3

Mod Launcher 1.0.4 crashes when preparing music for a mod. What shall I do?
Rename the Music folder in the mod to something else. The mod will launch with vanilla music, but it shouldn't crash now.
This bug was fixed in 1.0.5.

Last edited:
Hi, Karel, I just found this and it seems an awesome idea. Now I'll be able to organize my Eu2 mods, and try the new maps.

However, the launcher crashes whenever I try to start anything other than vanilla and I get a Visual C++ error message. I have installed vanilla 1.09 + AGCEEP 1.39 + Age of Imperialism 2.5

Enoch Root said:
Hi, Karel, I just found this and it seems an awesome idea. Now I'll be able to organize my Eu2 mods, and try the new maps.

However, the launcher crashes whenever I try to start anything other than vanilla and I get a Visual C++ error message. I have installed vanilla 1.09 + AGCEEP 1.39 + Age of Imperialism 2.5
And your OS? W98 or XP?

XP with SP2 :)

Enoch Root said:
I've found the bug. Download corrected version of Mod Launcher from Dwnld thread and enjoy the play. :)

Attention! I was forced to remove Mod Launcher v1.0.1 from downloads because one bad bug that I didn't notice him when I was testing the new version appeared. Mod Launcher is now uploaded again. Name of version remains as v1.0.1, but it is corrected. First three people downloaded v1.0.1 with this bug. If you are one of these three people, re-download v1.0.1. I hope that no more heavy-bugs will appear.

I love it, saves a few hundred MB's, which is fairly usefull on the only 40 GB harddisk we have here ;)

It's awesome, but how do I combine every maps into a single folder?

Let's say, I want to have vanilla game with WATK and AGCEEP with vanilla map. Do I just install WATK, copy the vanilla maps into AGCEEP directory and hope it works? :confused:

On this place were two post from me, but I deleted them because they only make whole thing more conffusing. I have written this post to finally reply on Enoch Root's question correctly.

Ordinary mods for vanilla version:
These mods are mostly uploaded as ZIP or RAR files. You only need to extract them into Eu2 folder. Each mod must be placed in its own subfolder in the Eu2 folder. Some mods are packed with this folder already, some aren't and you must create the folder for them. So be careful.

AGCEEP:
This mod is released in two versions - Base and Deluxe. Both versions are uploaded as EXE files. The only thing you must do with it is run the EXE and install it into Eu2 folder. No creating of subfolders, etc. AGCEEP installation file is doing it automatically. AGCEEP is installing itself as a mod so it keeps your vanilla game.

WATK:
This custom map is uploaded as RAR file. Create a subfolder in Eu2 folder and extract there the archive. If you extract it directly into Eu2 folder, you'll rewrite vanilla game. Be sure that you are extracting it into the subfolder.

MyMAP:
This custom map is released as EXE file but I found it also as RAR file. For RAR file aply same procedure as in case of WATK. If you want to use EXE file, create subfolder before you run the EXE. Then run the EXE and install MyMAP into the newly created subfolder. Don't install it directly into Eu2 folder or you'll rewrite vanilla game.
(I didn't test EXE file if it is possible to install MyMAP into the created subfolder, because I have permanent problems with downloading from Rapidshare.)

Other mods using MyMAP or WATK:
If the mod is as a RAR or ZIP, extract it into new subfolder into Eu2. Then look if the mod is including the map files (if it has "Map" subfolder). If yes, then it should work. If no, you must give there the map files manually.
If the mod is as an EXE, ask for support.

Use these procedures for installing mods and they should be compatible with Mod Launcher then. By these procedures you can place MyMAP, WATK, AGCEEP and any other mod into one Eu2 folder without lossing vanilla game.

OMG, it works perfectly! :eek:

This is one of the best utilities I've found for EU2 sofar. Thank you very much, KaRei, your launcher is awesome. Now I've cleaned up my desktop from tons of shortcuts. :D

There's a small trouble with both MyMap and WATK, but it's easy to fix.

Basically, both maps will install and run perfectly under the Mod Launcher, but will crash whenever you try to save the game. This is due to both maps not including a "save game" directory in their scenario files, as they're designed to run in a complete EU2 install, not in moddir.

The fix to this is to manually create a "save games" folder at the /scenarios foldder in each map. It works without trouble. Neat, eh? :D

I, too, find this tool to be a God send. I've had WAY too many installations of the game in the past. Now I only have two: SP and MP (I don't have Moctezuma's Unlimited Time Patch applied to SP, and I don't want to apply any betas that might show up to it, either (yeah, I know, no more betas; old habits die hard :rofl: )).

Thank you oh so very ever much for this tool!!!