• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
almoravid said:
AFAIK you don't instantly get cores on the electorates, they follow in some events just like austrian cores. You'll notice he doesn't have the cores on Saxony, Palatinate and Mainz either.
He does have cores on Bohemia though, which was an elector. Don't know if it is in the game though...

Part six

Ah, welcome back everybody, I’m glad so many returned to my lecture. As I said before the break allbut one realm joined the Germany. Oldenburg was resisting ans had declared war. It was a very stupid thing to do. The Oldenburg Army was destroyed quickly and siege was laid on the city.

oldenburgsiege1ul.jpg

Frundsberg, one of the best german military leaders of all times conquered the city very fast. Right after the fall of the city Joachim I Nestor announced the total Annexation of Oldenburg.Right after the end of the war a great consolidation begann. Half of the now way to large German Army was disbanded and a Taxcoloector was hired in every larger german city. The income increased enormously.

oldenburgcaptured0ju.jpg

But Joachim wasn’t happy yet, still Germany was divided into three parts, still many provinces Germany had rights of were still in the hand of other countries. And he wanted to change it. On March 5th 1504 Germany declared war onto the palatinate and its allies, Austria, Burgungdy, and Milan. Germany was joined in this war by Saxony, Cologne, Mainz and Swizerland. The German Armies were standing in Mainz, Alsace and Gelderland. The Army in Mainz was quickly beaten by a coalitionforce of Austria and the Palatinate and had to redraw to from there it split up, a small force under command of A. Lothringen went to Würzburg and took command of the siege laid by Saxony, another force went to Heidelberg to support the siege there. The Army in Gelderland was ordered a special task to conquer Brabant, the capital of Burgundy. Frundsberg accomplished his taske that fast, that the King of Burgundy was captured when the city fell, and Burgundy was forced to sign a whit peace. With the extra foreces freed the “real” war against Austria could begin.

war150517lr.jpg

On this picture you see the forces of Austria sieging Mainz and Schwyz, and Germany and its allies laying siege on Würzburg and Heidelberg, as well Frundsberg returning from Brabant, and, which is most interesting, 5000, no more and no less, volunteers, taking up the initaiv and laying siege on Salzburg, they could conquer the city with out loosing one man.

Frundsberg was dispatched to free the city of Mainz, but he arrived 3 days to late. Still he was able to suprise the Austrian forces while they were celebrating their victory ... only 1780 of over 20000 survived...

war150526jo.jpg

Five Month later the cities of heidelberg and Würzburg fell, and the Palatinate had to accept a harsh peace. It survived, but had to givve up Würzbrug, all its money and its independence.

war150532pa.jpg

While the war was continuing with the same intensity the nobles suddenly demanded back their old rights, lost during the formation of Germany. Normaly this these Nobels would have gotten nothing but their heads served on a plate by Joachim, but with a war going on he had no choice but accepting their demands.

war150549yo.jpg

Even though Schwyz fell to Milan, the war went on well. Without the help of Burgundy and Palatinate the Austrian Armys stood no chance against the German forces. In November 1505 Mainz was freed and in 1506 Lombardia and Tyrol were besieged by german forces.

war150559qf.jpg

As Baden fell and the Capitals capitals stood at the brink of falling Austria had no choice but accept the peace that was offered by Joachim. Austria would have to give up Baden and a large amount of money.

war150566jf.jpg

Germany was now no longer divided, all Parts of the Empire had acces to the capital.

afterwar150563au.jpg

Part six-2

The next decade was a very peacfull, as the only nation Germany had casus belly on was Bohemia, who was allied with Poland, Russia, Hungary and Walachia, and therby to strong for the young Germany. But Joachim was not happy with the expansion of germany yet, so he continued to expand Diplomatic. On August 7th 1507, shortly after the war, saxony was annexed by Germany, In August 1st 1510 Swizerland was taken as vassal and on September 2nd 1511 Mainz was Annexed.

saxonyannex9tv.jpg

switzerlandvassals1ps.jpg

mainzannex4ji.jpg

In 1512 The nobels used Joachims concentration on the foreign Politics and the new won rights in 1505 to subjugate the peasant. A revolt in Kleves and a fall of stability were the consequenses.

peasents15121zk.jpg

Till 1515 nothing exeptional happend, 1513 a refinery was built in Alsace and a uncooperative thinker was thrown into prison.
1515 on the other hand was a very interesting year. The Polish alliance split up, as its vassals Bohemia and Hungary brocke their vassalization Bohemia instantly joined the Austrian Alliance, but Hungary was declared war upon by Poland.

polandhungary3yq.jpg

Also Land tech 5 was reached, making it possible to assault fortresses, and Cologne was annexed.

annexationcologne4lz.jpg

Germany was ready for the next war and just waiting for the next opportunity, when will it arrive?

europe15157nc.jpg

I think you should take on Bohemia now that it has joined the Austrian alliance. Better to fight them now that they are divided and weaker than later. Also France looks strong. Either you fight them or you get them into your alliance.

Yeah, France Looks Really Powerfull. Good Luck Vs. Them.

I think you'll get your first screen Empire before your another game!
As CSK said, better declare war vs Bohemia now.

Don't ally France! Luxembourg is under their control, and luxemburg are german people! German People belongs to GERMANY! XD

Zanza said:
He does have cores on Bohemia though, which was an elector. Don't know if it is in the game though...
I guess he claimed Bohemia as Brandenburg before actually forming Germany.

After posting the pics in a rush back than I've some time now :)

Yeah, the pope gave me the cores when I was still Brandenburg, take a look at part three, it happend back there.

The_Great_Dane said:
Great AAR. I like how you use pics. Makes me not having to read that much.

On the other hand, I think you should go more in depth with certain important persons. Kind of like what you did with Fundberg, but it just wasn't enough, if you know what I mean.

Thanks, I like AAR with pics more than without, I'm to lazy to read ^^
on the person kindofthing I will try to think of a way to do this, lets see how I can put this in the next update.

CSK said:
I think you should take on Bohemia now that it has joined the Austrian alliance. Better to fight them now that they are divided and weaker than later. Also France looks strong. Either you fight them or you get them into your alliance.

Yeah, thats my idea, unfortunatly they have 45k Men, and are allied with Austria (39k), Milan (60k) and Burgundy (32k) which would make a war rather difficult, as they are roughly 3:1 superior to my alliance...
Thats why I'M waiting for something to happen...
And France .. well I'll deal later with them.

Nobegow said:
Don't ally France! Luxembourg is under their control, and luxemburg are german people! German People belongs to GERMANY! XD

Exactly my thinking :D

CSK said:
Well, then ally France after you liberated Luxemburg and they are your vassals!
I'll think of it when the time comes ;)

almoravid said:
I guess he claimed Bohemia as Brandenburg before actually forming Germany.
Exactly

Duke of Wellington said:
Nice expansion, you handled those wars well and the diplomatic annexation went very nicely. Good use of pictures.
Allways trying my best ;)

As for the vote Protestantism/catholic it's 4:1 right now, so all signs point at protestantism, or are here anymor catholics that want to see their religion rise? :D

Well I am Catholic, and have never to date played a protestant/reformed nation, but I still say go Protestant. Even better, go calvinist!

Great AAR you have here.

Yeah, go Reformed!! Germany is special so they deserve a special religion, that (almost) no one else has. :)

That will also give you super-merchants and an army morale edge. And you can ally with the Dutch. The Dutch are cool.

Part seven - WAR

A "short" Update just on one war....

During the professoers lecture suddenly a student in the first row raised his hand and asked a question, only understood by the Professor.

What do you mean make it mor interesting? ... More personal view of history? ... Its boring?? Well, you are here to learn something, not to have fun. ... Oh don’t come me with pleeeaase now ... oh and stop it, don’t even think of looking at me like a puppy .. thats unfair I have all thes nice facts i could tell you! ... No? ... Oh, I can’t resist such helpless looking students.

He throws away his thin staple of paper and grabs a much thicker one from his pocket. But it can take a little longer...

So, where was I? Ah yes. WAR!

Well, as I said Joachim waited for a opportunity of war against Bohemia and its ally Austria. Till 1516 no opportunity arrived, so he got to impatient and declared war anyways.

war151612qm.jpg

The Strategy was like the one in the first Austrian war. Frundsberg should move almost 30000 men to Brabant conquer the city and force Burgundy out of the war again.
Versuvs Austria 27000 men marched against Salzburg and 27000 more against Morovia. With the goal to capture the cities and beat all armies encountering them.
The swiss allies were supposed to hold off Milan, or at least buy some time till Frundsberg could come down and help. But what a supprise when Milan dishonored its alliance with Austria and did not join the war immediatly.

war151629sq.jpg

The war in the east did not start very well, both armies in Bohemia and Austria were driven back by superior forces, Frundsberg on the other hand celebrted great succes. When he arrived in Brabant he had to fight a 15000 men strong Burgundian army. No enemy survived the slaughter. It is said, that when Frundsberg laid siege on the city the second time in 11 years he went up to the wall and shouting up “People of Brabant, we were here 11 year before and yout defenses did not hold us back, why should this change now? Surrender or be destroyed.” His call was answered by an rain of arrows, of which none hit him. So he started his siege again, and after only 5 months the city fell again, and Burgundy had to accept a white peace.

war151631el.jpg

In the east only the austrian campaign was succesfull, lead by Winzerer, they were able to kill the defender and lay siege onto Salzburg. The Army in Bohemia on the other hand was beaten over and over again. Till may the 27000 men strong army was reduced to little more than 6000, so that fresh recruits had to be trained again. In the meantime news reached Joachim, that Milan joined the war on side of Austria, and a 40000 Men strong army was dispatched conquer germanies small ally the Palatinate. But the brave defender managed to kill 13000 of the attacking army and repell the attackers.

war151646ze.jpg

But like in the last war the nobles could not hold still. This time they even tried to ursurp against Joachim. But the plot could not succeed. The noble was arrested and, although that caused quite a stirr under the nobles, behaeded. His estates on the other hand were left to his heirs.

war151658tk.jpg

Through all internal troubles the war against the austrian alliance continued. Frundsberg was send down to Lombardia to throw Milan out of the war, or weaken them enough that they would not be a danger anymore. At the same time the Milan Army moved down to catch the german Army before it could reach the Milan capital. A race begann. Frundsberg pushed its men on as fast as possible, but still he was to slow. To still reach Lombardia before Milan, a diplomat was dispatched to Pietmonte. And, really, he had success, the small geman minority could be convinced to use the war to reach their own freedom. 6000 Rebells started a siege against the fortres. Although they had no chance against the Milan army, as they arrived, they still bought Frundsberg enough time to reach Lombardia before the Milans. When the Lombardian army arrived just days later, a defense was allready prepared by Frundsberg. 26000 Germany stood against 23000 Milan soldiers. At first the Milan soldiers could make some succes and push the german lines far back. The Milan soldiers saw the victory right in front of them, as the German cavalary hit the Milans from both flanks and the rear. The slaughter was great, all Milans died, with only 3600 dead Germans.

war1516216hd.jpg

After one year Lombardia finally fell. As the war against Bohemia was still going poorly, Frundsberg was dispatched to help out. The war against Austria was going well, Salzburg has been conquered and the Steiermark was under siege.

war1516110ry.jpg

It took two more years of hard bloody fighting, but with the help of Frundsberg and the Palatinate Army, the veteran Bohemian Army, that won so many battles against the germans could be destroyed and all Bohemian Fortresses were captured. Bohemia had to accept a peace that cost it all but its capital province.

war1516125oo.jpg

But the joy of victory was dimmed. By new bad news. The noble faction was on the move again. The beheading of one man was clearly not enough, another noble tried to throw down the king, and he too was caught. This time a clean sweep was made by Joachim. ALL of the traitors were killed and much land was taken from the nobles. Hopefully this would finally end the troubles with them.

war1516130os.jpg

Last edited:
In the meantime the Austrian army tried to free Lombardia and Frundsberg was dispatched to prevent this. His hope was to suprise the Austrians while they concentrated on sieging the city and, with the help of the city defenders, attack them from two sides. But he arrived to late, the city fell just days before his arrival. His troops although vastly outnumbered and without food he managed to beat the Austrian Army, but only 8000 of 27000 of his men survived. The remaining men retreated to southern germany to meet newly raised troops. But on his way through swiss something horrible happend. 3000 of Milans soldiers ambushed the German army while they were moving through a canyon. They used a new invention, firearms to suprise the Germans. The first volley killed several hundred Soldiers .... Frundsberg was one of them. He fell without even seeing his murder. The hit to the moral was immense. This new, unknown weapons and the fall of Frundsberg caused the germans to rout.

war1516159me.jpg

But even without Frundsberg, and the german Army now commanded by Winzerer, the war continued. Almost all of Austria was conquered, only the capital, which was besieged by the Palatinate was free. And Only 20000 Austrian men were still fighting and besieging Vienna. 30000 men were dispatched to destroy the last Austrian army and force them to accept every peace germany dictated.

war1516178jj.jpg

But the battle was lost and the army had to retreat. It should be the last battle of this war, won by the Austrians. Seeing it's chance, with all of the german in rout, and the German population slowly getting weary of the war, Scotland declared war on Germany.

war1516189te.jpg

Immediatly a peace was offered for Austria, for not as much as wanted, but still at very hard conditions. Steiermark and Salzburg went to Germany. The war against Austria was over.
The war against England was just beginning.

Last edited:
So, unless pope Benedickt XIV apears here personally (and I want a proof thats it's really him .. the finger of god pointing at his head would be enough ;) ) I will go portestant, I even have a story ready, so watch out what happens.