• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Diaries of Alexander Whitman

26th November 1866
The German and French governments decided to violate the neutrality of Switzerland. Right now the conservatives are demanding that Switzerland must be defended from French and German aggression. While I do agree with their stance as foreign minister I have to do what is best for the Kingdom and have to look realistically at issues. Of course the Conservatives know this and their statements do not have any bindings on them as they are NOT the government. A government have a responsibillity that the opposition does not have.
The problem with going to war with Germany and France is because there is no way we can protect Swiss sovereignity. Despite all our best wishes. British troops can't fly past the Canal and be dumped directly into the Swiss Alps to help the Swiss.
Also finest of the British military is currently in Indonesia on a request from the Russian Tsar to help with his war against the Dutch. While England is on good terms with the Netherlands. The Netherlands actually declared war on Russia because of the Russian possesions in Borneo. Now England is bound to help an ally and therefore Gordon himself have taken up the task to lead the Indian Expeditionary Force into Indonesia.

Gordon in Indonesia
gordon5ta.jpg

Despite all these talks of war and arms. I have some good news. My daugther Charlotte and her husband Marius are now the parents to a beautiful girl named Katherine.

20th February 1867
Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone resigned today.
This comes after longer turmoil.
The whole case started when it was found out that Gladstone not only knew but endorsed the military takeover of Haiti and Liberia by General Matthews.
Gladstone have not informed me nor several other ministers in the Government about this. Instead he kept it a secret within the party. I must admit that lately there have been two wings in the party. A pro-Gladstonian wing and a wing that is represented by myself. With myself busy in the affairs in Indonesia, Egypt and Europe, Gladstone have been running the show in the western hemisphere practically giving free reigns to his good friend General Matthews to crackdown on the privateer buisness with bases in Haiti and Liberia. While I agree that there was a problem, it is simply not right to claim neither Haiti nor Liberia as crown-subjects on the behalf of this.
Matthews executed a military plan in late-september with a fast move into Liberia and then proceeding to Haiti right after the crack-down in Liberia.

Matthews running loose in Liberia and Haiti.

After 4 months the operation was over but only the clique around Gladstone knew anything about it. The Conservatives while not opposing the acts have seen their chance. The Whig party have been split and the wing opposing Gladstone have now formed the Liberal Party. I have also reliquinshed my membership of the Whig Party and moved over to the Liberals. The Members of Parliament representing the Liberals and Conservatives now had majority and demanded a general election to get a mandate from the people. Gladstone had no choice but to resign and call for a general election.
There is now bound to be a general election in 30 days. The first time a british election have had 3 major parties contending for the government. The Whig Party represented by Gladstone, the Conservatives by Benjamin Disraeli and the Liberals represented by myself.

30th March 1867
I was in an audience with the Queen today, informing her of the result of the general election. The Liberal Party won the election with the Conservatives coming second. The Whig Party have lost nearly all its voter base to the Liberal Party and have only maintained close to 20 seats in Westminster.
This means that the new Liberal Party will be forming the Government and this means that I am now the Prime Minister of United Kingdom. It is an honor I take upon myself humbly but I will do my best to do what is not only best for Britain and the Empire but also what is right.

Europe as Alexander is elected Prime Minister in England.
europe18671nq.jpg

1st July 1868
My little granddaughter is one the delightful breaks in the job as Prime Minister. Today she celebrated her 2nd birthday. She sure will turn out as the beauty that both her own mother and her grandmother are.

Picture of little Katherine.
babygirl4ek.jpg

Last edited:
From A Shining Light: Giuseppe Vermazzo, Volume 2: 1855-1870 by Antonio D'Oro

Italy's membership in the Alliance proved fruitful during the sixties. Industrialization, though neglected by the previous government and delayed by the heavy debt incurred after unification, finally proceeded apace. British loans at very low interest rates helped dispel the holdover debt, and enabled productive factories to be erected. The sixties boom in Italy brought her industry from seventh in the world to fourth in the world. Her military was the third strongest, behind Germany and Russia. The people, though close to revolt after the collapse of the previous government, were delighted in Duke Vermazzo's administration.

To the people of Italy, Giuseppe Vermazzo was a national hero, almost on par with Garibaldi, Mazzini, and Cavour. Immediately after unification, the Pope, in a rage that his papal dominions had been stripped, issued a bull excommunicating anyone serving the new Italian government. This drastically weakened Italy, threatening the reliability of her army, the efficiency of her industry, and even the loyalty of her people.

The previous government merely caused more problems for Italy's Catholic population. By seizing church property, monasteries, cathedrals, and bishoprics, Suicidio alienated most of the Italian population. They responded by launching general strikes, rioting, and burning estates. It was this crisis that precipitated the fall of the government.

To allay the rage of the Catholic population, he requested an audience with the Vatican, tacitly recognizing the Pope, something the previous government had refused to do. As an ardent Catholic himself, Vermazzo successfully convinced the Vatican that Italy and the Catholic Church would be stronger if they supported each other. The Vatican agreed to recognize the Italian government, and revoke his earlier edict. For his part, Vermazzo set aside a twelve-square mile portion of Rome for the Vatican, as well as returned control of the monasteries and cathedrals to the Vatican. This concordat was well received by the Catholic population in Italy.

By 1870, Italy's growth and stability provided the government with a bit more flexibility. Unbeknownst to Vermazzo at the time, this would bring on the gravest crisis in Italy's history.

Sometime in the spring of 1872, Prince von Bismarck reached out to Vermazzo. The discussion revolved around the potential limited partition of Austria. Though not discussed with Britain, it was agreed that Germany, Russia, and Italy would partition Austria. The verbal agreement was that Russia would receive Galicia and the custodianship of millions of Ukrainians. Germany would get German Bohemia and perhaps a part of German Austria. Italy would get the states of Milano and Venezia. England had earlier expressed sympathy towards the Italian cause with regard to the Italian provinces held by Austria. With the participation of two full Alliance members, Vermazzo assumed that nothing untoward would happen. The sympathies of Britain being with the unredeemed Italians, Vermazzo believed that Britain would remain neutral, and at most issue some reproachful remarks.

In the summer of 1873, von Bismarck send word through an emissary that war would begin June 1. All Italian troops were brought up to strength, and deployed on the Austrian border. When war arrived, the assault on the initial Austrian border posts carried well. Austrian troops proved incapable of stopping the coalition's armies. Russia quickly occupied Galicia, and took it in a quick peace treaty. Vermazzo was heartened by the apparent Austrian collapse, and wanted to make peace as well, as by that time both Milano and Venezia were occupied by Italian troops. Germany had by this point occupied Bohemia.

The emissary sent by the Italian government to negotiate a peace treaty was instructed that Milano and Venezia were the terms for peace. These terms were categorically rejected by the Austrians. The winter of 1873-4, though not harsh, did slow Italian troops down. By April, Italian troops had occupied Slovenia and Austria proper, with Germany holding Vienna. Italy asked for the same peace terms, but was still refused. The Austrian Emperor had given word that no negotiations with Italy would be permitted. It is this point, with Vermazzo realizing that the war could continue for a while, that we will leave.

In March 1874, Britain declared war on Germany and Russia in defense of the balance of power, of which Austria was an integral part. British troops landed in Copenhagen and Kiel. Denmark, merely a German satellite, caved to Britain, with a pro-British government installed. Germany and Britain drew up battle lines south of Kiel, but neither side came to battle for months. A stalemate emerged in North Germany, and Britain turned East in an attempt to break the coalition. An invasion of Eastern Siberia by sea initially succeeded, penetrating 150 km inland. After this penetration, Russian armies formed counter to the British, and another stalemate emerged.

In May 1874, Germany got peace with Austria, claiming German Bohemia and a sliver of Czech Bohemia. Britain responded by demanding that any peace would require the repatriation of Galicia and Bohemia to Austria. This demand was laughed at by both Tsar and Kaiser. Italy stood alone in June of 1874, pushing into Western Hungary. Still Austria would not accept peace. Vermazzo's closest advisors and confidants reveal that, though irritating, Vermazzo was happy with the war. Even with his coalition partners' acquistition of seperate peace agreements with Austria, Italy was still chasing the Austrian army around Central Europe.

By the end of June, both German and Russian armies had finally forced Britain off the continent. News of this accomplishment was well received in Rome. However, Vermazzo's government was not focused on Britain, but on finishing the war with Austria. On 3 July 1874, Vermazzo left for a tour of the front lines.

On 5 July 1874, two hundred forty thousand British troops landed outside Rome. The capital was taken by surprise, and fell within a week. Vermazzo, upon hearing this news, cancelled his tour of Austria. He rallied an army of conscripts and reserves, forming a force of three hundred eighty thousand outside Rome. The British withdrew to their ships without looting the capital.

The Vatican, after the British had evacuated, called for all Italian Catholics to resist the British invader. This national resistance led to the battles of Messina and Palermo, where, though hundreds of thousands of Italians perished, the British military leaders realized that the invasion of Italy would be extremely costly, and the Italians were determined to defend their soil. When news of these battles reached London, the Prime Minister sent an emissary to Rome, offering peace. In the meanwhile, the Austrian emperor had been captured, and he agreed to part with Milano and half of Venezia. Vermazzo, under significant pressure from British troops in Sicily, agreed to end the war. Though less than wanted, Italy had proven herself a Great Power on the world stage.

Unfortunately for Vermazzo, the Italian people wanted a new prime minister, and turned to Suicidio. Vermazzo remained a member of parliament, and his influence was great in the postwar years.

The Diaries of Alexander Whitman

10th January 1870
The past year have been very stressing, despite that I have a very strong crew of ministers in the various ministries and a dedicated and clever stab in the Prime Ministry, I sometimes still feel that the burden of being a Prime Minister is too heavy. This probably will come out as I'm giving myself airs but the fate of not only the United Kingdom but also the world is formed by decision that I make. With great power comes great responsibillity and frankly I do relish the days back when I didn't have all this responsbillity. The steady rock in my life is my dear dear Amelié. She is as beautiful as the day I met her. Her smile still warms my soul with its light.
We've come a long way since that first warm summer day in Brussels.
Some day when all this is over I can maybe enjoy my retirement days at our farm in Dorset, enjoying one of Amelié's homemade waffles.
I comissioned this friend of mine named Vincent to portray the idyllic morning at our farm:

Van Gogh's "Wheat Field with Rising Sun"

17th May 1870
The revanchinist party "Union Party" have won the election in USA. The first action of the government was to declare war on the CSA. As allies of the USA we have been called upon to aid in the fight for the reclamation of the CSA. I have had the government in for consultation regarding this and basically the attitude of the government is a whole-hearted support for the cause of the United States. This is my personal feeling as well. The war in the United States cannot be viewed as a normal power struggle. It is a battle of morals. One side representing slavery and oppression. The other a hope for a young country which have some of the most liberal and progressive ideals of all.
Therefore the government will tomorrow call for a vote in parliament on whether or not we shall honor our alliance with USA and go to war.

Last edited:
April 5, 1876--The abode of Giuseppe Vermazzo, Duke of Verona, Rome

Vermazzo sat in his parlor, sipping at his tea. His thoughts had been wandering for hours. To the government, to Italy's position in the world, to his friend, the King, to his sleeping wife upstairs. He had become less irritable, but more distractable since his resignation after the elections. The stress of a responsible minister was great. All that was gone, now. He had even contemplated resigning his seat in parliament. Everyone, government, parliamentarians, reporters, and citizens, all thought of him as the opposition leader. Bah!

He took another sip of his tea, lapsing back into random thoughts. His tea. That was ironic. His tea had been imported from India, the jewel of the Crown of the Empire whose invasion was responsible for his government's collapse. He chuckled to himself, and shook his head. A soft knock sounded on his door, too low for the sleeping servants to hear. He placed his tea cup on the plain wooden desk, and stood.

Upon reaching the door, he pulled it open slowly. His eyes fastened on the short, heavy man before him. "May I help you this fine morning, sir?"

The man squinted up at him. "Your Grace, Suicidio forbade my coming. Perhaps we had better speak inside."

Vermazzo frowned at the man. No, his days of covert politics were over. Still, there must really be something juicy for the man to come here against Suicidio's orders. He let the frown drop. "I was about to go for a walk through the public gardens. Will you come with me?"

It was his visitor's turn to scowl. "Very well, Your Grace."

1872-1877: Democracy and Decline

Political

In the spring of 1873, Germany, Italy, and Russia all declared war upon the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The sultan saw the opportunity to gain land for his satellites and secure a buffer zone between Austria and the Ottoman Empire and joined in the war in July. The sultan, needing troops to quell the revolts in the Balkans and push forward into Dalmatia, diverted troops from Tunis despite French military buildup on the border. The war with Austria was going well until Italy, Germany, and Russia all made peace with Austria for minimal gains leaving the Ottoman Empire to fight alone. This proved disastrous as Austria could focus its entire fighting force on the Ottoman front. Meanwhile, the revolts in the Balkans were diminishing, but they were still too much of a problem to send those troops to help in Croatia. The removal of troops from Tunis proved a bad decision when in late December 1874, France declared war on the Ottoman Empire pressing its claims on everything west of Lake Chad, although their claims were widely unrecognized and many nations considered this to be a dastardly act. To release the strain on the Ottoman army in pacifying the rebels, the sultan, with the approval of the newly created Council of Viziers, granted Crete semi-autonomy. This became a turning point for the Ottoman Empire as Austria and France started advancing into Ottoman territory. The war with France dragged on for almost two years ending in the Ottoman Empire ceding Tunisia and Algeria to France. Throughout that year and into the next, Austria continued to advance in the Balkans with little Ottoman resistance with Constantinople falling in early April sending the sultan and Council of Viziers fleeing to Baghdad. Spain, sympathizing with the Ottoman Empire and also in a colonial war with Austria, assisted in the escape of the sultan and Parliament, and also stopping Austrian expansion at the Bosphorus. Finally in October of 1876, peace resumed in the Balkans with the sultan being forced to accept a humilitaing peace losing much land in the Balkans to Austria, although the Aegean Islands were gained from Greece, who had joined on Austria's side in the war. Soon after the peace, the sultan along with the Council of Viziers were transported back to Istanbul and order was restored in the city.

Economic

The economic power of the Ottoman Empire had fallen after the loss of the timber forests of Serbia, but the Kaiser of the German Empire started sending money to the sultan to help industrialization and railroad construction continue.

Social

The people have spoken! The Liberal Revolution, having spread through much of continental Europe, has finally reached the Ottoman Empire! The sultan established the Council of Viziers as an advisory body to the sultan.
The Council of Viziers is made up of representatives from all regions of the Ottoman Empire so that the sultan can make objective decisions, and they advise the sultan on all domestic matters.​
Over the next year ideological parties began to take shape, and when the sultan held the first elections for the members of the Council, in which all members were allowed to vote, the People's Union Party was elected at an overwhelming margin.

Last edited:
(next couple AAR are very short as I missed a couple and dont really remember what happened)

Russia - 1865-1870

From the personal Diary of General Vlad Huereska

The Dutch are at it again, and we have little time to deal with this self-absorbed minor nation. It appears they intend to conquer borneo, a legal Russian colony. Little more than a nusiance, the Tsar has rightly not sent additional manpower to the region, as the sailing time there and back would be far too long, and the threat that is Germany is growing ever stronger on our western border. I am told that our British friends have offered to send the an expedition from India, in order to speed up the inevitable. Germany has threatened Russia if she takes more colonial holdings from the Dutch, neither me, nor my men, are concerned however.

The fighting in the East Indies has went well, although it took years to get the Dutch to agree. The British expeditionary force swept the Dutch aside on Sulawesi, while the 76th Russian Corps pounded Java. After nearly 2 years, the Dutch finally agreed to cede the eastern part of Java and 2 territories on Sulawesi to Russia. I am told that dye and sulfur from the new possessions are already raising profits back at home. The Germans have not raised any contention to the settlement, as they are well not to challenge the might of the Tsar.

Meanwhile, expansion continues everywhere in the Russian homeland, both in the military and industrially. I have overseen a string of fortifications from Galicia in the south to the Baltic. A similar defensive line has been erected over the border in Germany. It appears that any conflict between us will grind to a halt in the East. We shall have to rely on our allies to open a western front in order to be victorious.

I met with the Tsar last week at the Summer Palace. He has fallen ill, and no one expects his reign to last much longer. I fear for the future of Russia, as his son Aleksandr, the most likely successor, is a religious fanatic, and unstable at best.

Last edited:
Russia 1870-1881

Trouble has once again began in the Balkans. The Tsar Nicolai I has chosen, rightfully, to support his fellow Salvs under Ottoman rule. He has encouraged them to rise up against their captors, and free themselves of Muslim tyranny. Needless to say, the Turks have taken offense at this, being our allies.

These are uncertain times, and the future of the alliance is at stake. It is no time to have a Tsar on his deathbed.

As expected, the Tsar has passed in Moscow. He went peacefully, as I was at his side. He shall forever be remembered as Nicolai the Great, a national hero for developing Russia into a first rate international force. Emissaries from all over the globe attended the somber service in St. Petersburg.

Also as expected, Aleksandr has been crowned Tsar. I weep for the future of Russia, as it is apparent that his mental state in unstable at best.

His first order of business was to take a hard-line stance on the Balkans. Aggressively pursuing the Ottomans to hand over Bulgaria, though stopping short of threatening war.

Also, Russia has withdrawn its support from the Alliance, due to tensions over the Balkans, as what the Tsar percieves as British efforts to constrain Russian influence. Instead a deal has been struck with the hated Germans, of which the exact terms are unknown, although the hard won provinces of Posen and Gnierzno have been repatriated to Germany, as an act of friendship.

As a result of the Russian withdrawl, the Alliance has utterly collapsed. The world order is at risk, all because of Aleksandr.

Russia is now party to a new mililtary alliance, known as the "Iron Fist", with the principal members being Germany and Russia.

Austria is in turmoil, and I have been orderd to Krakow to await development of the situation.

War has been declared on Austria by Germany, and Russia was called to the fray. Russian and German troops raced across the border, and as always, the enemies of Russia have been swept aside.

Italy and the Ottoman Empire also entered the war against Austria, hoping to profiteer from the devastation of the Russian and German onslaught. Turkey has, as a result, placed itself squarely in the Russian crosshairs, as no more of the Balkans should be under Muslin rule.

These are trying times....

Our old friends the British have declared war on Germany, due to the war in Austria. Russia and Italy have responded to the German call, per our alliance. The dastardly French have dishonored their responsibilities to Germany.

I have been ordered to crush the Austrians and march north to protect the capitol.

The Tsar has negotiated a peace settlement with Austria with Russia gaining the Ukrainian populated state of Galicia, and meanwhile I have engaged the British at St. Petersburg.

Hoping for a quick victory, the British landed near the capitol, attempting to surround and sack it. Reinforcements had not yet arrived, and the capitol was only defended by 15 divisions. Luckily, the defenses I oversaw the construction of years ago, were fulled operational. The guard held out against the British, taking minimal casualties. Soon reinforcements arrived from the South, and pushed the British from the continent.

The world seems to be on its head, as Russia fights alongside Germany, against Britain.

The Turks seem to be getting theirs...France has declared war on them, seeing them occupied with Austria and revolts in the Balkans. It looks as if all of Africa will be overrun by the French. With this new threat, and Russia, Germany, and Italy all having concluded peace deals in Austria, the Turks are faced with the well prepared French in Africa, and the conscripts from Austria pouring in. They are falling back, and it seems Constantinople will fall before the year is out.

The war drags on, it has been 5 years of war with Britian and no gains have went either way. Britian attempted small incursions in Crimea, Java, and Manchuria, although they have been pushed back each time to the sea. Lately, no hostilities have broken, as the British are sure they cannot succeed in an invasion. It seems that we are locked in everlasting war, all due to the greed and ineptitude of the Tsar Aleksandr. Had he only secured international approval for his actions, as Nicolai always did, we would not be in this mess.

I am told that the Imperial coffers are at an alltime high, however. While the war isnt costing the government any money, it certianly isnt helping the Russian peasants. All industrial and infrastructure improvements has ground to a halt. In addition, some goods have become scarce, especially for the poor. The Tsar grows rich from war, while the rest of the country bears the brunt of wartime taxes. If only our vast resources were distributed in a more fair manner, that all citizens could benefit equally, this war would be much less a burden.

It is now apparent that the Tsar has been funneling massive amounts of money for years to the Germans, to build new navy cruisers. What treachery! The Tsar must be a madman to give the money earned by Russian blood and sweat to fund the German war effort! Russians starve while the Germans get new boats, something must be done.

And all for nothing...

The Tsar, having no military experience, fancied himself a strategist. With the new German boats rivaling that of the Royal Navy, a invasion force was hastily put together. If only some more planning had been done, we would be out of this war!

38 elite German divisions, as well as 20 Russian ones, (Russia having only 20 transports available), landed in the well defended region east of London. The Germans took Ipswitch, but soom english reinforcements arrived, swelling their numbers to over 60 divisions and growing. The Russian force landed just to the south, and set about taking control of the countryside. Having not cleared the British fleets, a smaller British force engaged the Germans off the coast. Just at that time, the British made their attack by land.

Being embroiled in battle, the German fleet, which was also the protection for the Russian transports, were unable to allow the army divisions to board. As a result, the Germans were caught between a superior British force and the coast. Meanwhile, with the bulk of the British force fighting the Germans, the Russian force stood relatively unmolested, although they were engaged enough to prevent reinforcement of the German ranks.

The German navy finally prevailed off the coast, allowing an evacuation. By this time, however, it was too late for the Germans, all 38 divisions had been destroyed, along with 3 Russian. The remaining 17 divisions set sail back to Germany in shame. The ill-conceived invasion was a complete failure due to the incompetence of the Tsar.

The war dragged on, but soon the British realized there was no hope for victory. All attempts to get Russia and Germany to repatriate lands taken from Austria had failed. A white peace was signed after 7 years of war.

The hardship on the peasantry has been unacceptable, all due to the greed of the Tsar. With my unit not engaged at all for years at a time, I have had time to let me mind wander, and explore new ideas. My efforts have turned to philosophy and politics.

Of considerable mention has been my reading of material produced by a German exile, Karl Marx. He advocated the centralization of all means of production, to be put to use for the entire population. Exactly what Russia could use after a long and costly war! I am convinced that the Tsar is taking Russia on a path to destruction, and I feel I must take matters into me own hands, for myself, my family, and my countrymen.

The time has come for me to take action. I have championed a movement among some of my fellow officers, all of which share my fascination with Communism, and distrust of the Tsar. We will enact change in Russia, the future depends on it!

Our plot has come to fruition! The Tsar planned a tour of the camps in Galicia in the Spring of 1877, and the opportunity presented itself to enact our plan. Many of the men were behind us by this time, seeing the suffering of their families back home. A reactionary traitor, however, caught wind of the plot to assissinate Aleksandr, and alerted him upon his arrival.

The Tsar turned as a coward and fled back to the capitol, as Cossacks loyal to the cause pursued him! Rumor has it that military units all over are denouncing their support of the Evil Tsar, and supporting our glorious cause for the proletariat! To Moscow!

The army is in full mutiny, the Tsar has abdicated, and I have arrived at the Kremlin. Confusion reigns in the streets, what shall become of the Empire of Russia?

A band of officers has met me here in Moscow, to discuss the future of out nation. It has been agreed that the new state, to be known as the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, will be formed with its political capitol here in Moscow. The government will be overseen by a group of 20 of the most decorated and respected military officers in the nation, with myself as the foremost in power.

Now to set to work on fixing the many ills of the nation, not merely as a slave-General of the Tsar, but as Soviet Premier and head of the Army!

Last edited:
So, Italy had been attacked. It seemed even the Austrians could recognize incompetence. Suicidio refused to call his allies to arms. The damned fool thought to regain his reputation by defeating Austria alone. I can only hope that our brave boys do not get mauled too badly.

--

Well, Suicidio has refused offers to form a national government with all parties represented. Our brave soldiers have fought well, retaking all of our Italian lands. The Kaiser still refuses to sign a peace, though. Ah, it is so familiar. Back during the first war, Suicidio lambasted me for not getting a quick peace. Now the tables are turned.

I have been notified by the Liberal Party that I must weigh in on this issue, as they suspect that Suicidio will use the military successes to crack down on opposition. I am the one man who can retake Italy for the King. However, I am unwilling, as with such power comes the responsability that I know and hate.

--

My God. He is responsable for the loss of more than 300,000 Italian soldiers in the Austrian mountains. Our entire army is collapsing, fleeing back into Italy. I have heard that the generals believe the war is lost.

My hand is forced. I must return to the government to save this country from catastrophe.

--

Suicidio has been forced to resign by the King. I have been asked to form a national coalition government. Even the Conservatives will get ministries. I have spoken with Field Marshal Brennero, who believes that we can form a line at Ravenna. This gives up far too much ground. We must stand, but to stand and fall is worse than useless.

--

I have just returned from a meeting with the British ambassador, and our ally is willing to send 600,000 men to aid our cause. I have hope at last. The British General Gordon has met with Brennero. They have developed a plan to retake our land, and take Austria.

Diaries of Alexander Whitman

26th June 1870
The war have been going on between USA/UK and CSA/Mexico for 1 month now. My own son Walt have joined the army and is head for the 3rd marksman squad in the 2nd Guards Division. Our lads are already there now fighting along side our American brothers in their crusade against slavery.

War against CSA:

We have granted the American-Natives of the Metis and Cree tribes, a country of their own. It is called the Metis Confederation and is located on the steppes of Canada, east of the state of Ontario. Also home rule was given to the state of New Foundland was created as a response to the debate regarding fishing rights in that area. Fishermen from New Foundland argued that the British central government had encrouched too much on their rights to live free in up there in New Foundland. I must admit that decentralization of the state isn't that much an eye-bleeder for me. If New Foundland wants to manage most things on their own it is fine. However the Parliament was most upset by our governments decision to give home rule to New Foundland. England will still take care of the foreign policy of both Metis and New Foundland, however effectively both places are now no longer direct subjects to the British crown.

1st August 1870
The war in the United States is going well. We have taken the important Confederate harbor of Norfolk and General Gordon is launching an campaign into East Virginia with the 2nd Artillery Division. Mexican cavalry is seizing huge amounts of land in the west though but the situation in the East is definetly under control. Germany have surprisingly enough wanted to help USA against CSA. They have asked for permission to send the German Navy and an Expeditionary Force to help USA. Despite my suspicion I have informed the parliament of the German decision and the Conservatives were overdelighted to have an oppurtunity to have some of the burden taken off the Royal Navy. Therefore the Germans are now coming to the aid of USA as well.

Gordon in USA:

In other news the Confederate Parliament rejected a notion about gradual emancipation for the slaves. How surprising...

24th May 1871
The war is going extraordinarilly well. The CSA have been overrun and there is now only sporadic combat left.
However one event does gives us concern on this war. The German navy and expeditionary force that was supposedly sent to help USA was instead given to Mexico. After the Royal Navy had shared plans and locations of the British Navy and Army, the German High Command turned their forces over to Mexico and under the guise of being at war with Britain the German Navy sunk several British Ironclads before a larger British force forced the Germans to retreat.

The situation in USA:

The whole CSA power structure have fallen and Mexico City have also been taken by British forces. The military victory have been won.

30th June 1871
Today is a day of betrayal. The 30th of June 1871 will forever stain the memories of both the state of USA and of United Kingdom. This was the day when the American government sold out and the robber-barons sold their own country to their slave-owner brethens in the South. The robber-barons of USA had decided that it was in their interest to keep a slavery state afloat in the south. They had therefore bought off several leading politicians in Capitol Hill. Eventually this interest group won out in splitting the country by creating a coup that overthrew the current government and installed their own government that once again had McClellan as President.

I must say I am very disillusionized with the whole process. Our own parliament is in an uproar as is both the British and American public. They demand a continuation of the war. However the US government have failed their own public. The most extreme voices in BOTH the US and UK argue for a USA that will once again be a part of the British Empire...
´
I must oppose to that plan strongly.

However it is true that there are problems with the current American administration. My son Walt made it through the war and met his love over there. He have told me that he will plans to stay in the US to support the American underground opposition. The new American government also cancelled the treaties it had with UK and instead signed deals with CSA. The hope of the American people now lies in their will to fight their own government.

Diaries of Alexander Whitman

24th July 1872
The American administration have fallen! This is great news. Through a people's revolution the American government have been taken back by the people. I must admit that my son Walt had a play in that revolution. He was the leading military counselor for the current president of the USA during the takeover of the Capitol. Perhaps with the robber-barons now getting their fair trials the American people can one day stand strong again.

30th November 1872
Europe is in turmoil. With the death of the Tsar, Russia have gone from a benevolent monarchy to a unaccountable dictatorship. The new Tsar withdrew his country out from the alliance and signed a deal to split Austria with Germany.

The Austrian state have currently had several internal problems mainly caused by the shifting governments and the latest chancellor C.P. Underwals have certainly not provided any relief for the Austrian state especially with the growing Italian problem.

Using the legitimacy of the Italian claims on Venezia and Lombardy, Russian and German forces backed an Italian attack on Austria.

Austria in trouble:

Europe is now in turmoil. We have issued a statement that demands the withdrawal of German and Russian troops from Austria. France have so far been neutral but unofficially they are moving away from their alliance with Germany and have agreed on the British stance. The Ottoman Empire have wanted to vulture on Austria claiming the Dalmatian coast-line for its own.

I have called up the leader of the opposition, Disraeli, to discuss to possibility of forming a national government to deal with the threat of the Austrian question. He have been positive to the forming of a national government.

27th August 1873
Our National Government have declared war on Germany on the premisis of their failure to withdraw their troops from Austria.
Not surprisingly Russia and our own "ally" Italy decided to back Germany. The decision to declare war on Germany was made on two reasons.
The first reason was the stated reason. The second reason was to test the Italian and Russian policy-makers. Despite the Russian withdrawal of the Alliance there had been no arguments or whatsoever between Russia or England. Italy still remained in the Alliance and was therefore obliged to come to the aid of England. England had not qualms with neither Russia nor Italy as much as they had with Germany who had abused British trust more than once before.
The British decision to declare war on Germany was also to play with open cards unlike Italy or Russia. The United Kingdom had to find out who it could trust and whom it could not. In the end none of its former allies wanted to make a clear stance or had joined Germany. The United Kingdom would now stand its test.

England was alone in her war against Russia, Germany and Italy. (OOC: The English alliances were not activated neither)

England at war:

Last edited:
This Gordon seems a fine general. The British army is extremely well equipped, much more so than our own brave lads. The Austrian army collapsed quickly, as it seems that they are not much better than we. The Anglo-Italian armies have finally stopped the Austrians, and have begun to throw them back across the border.

--

I have heard it whispered in the streets of Verona that I am Christ reborn. Blasphemy! But, as this is a nation with a liberal constitution, there is no way to punish them. I leave that to God.

Venezia was captured this morning. There is no way to temper the giddy excitement of the people. Even the king has been affected. He believes that he must soon appoint a governor for Vienna. Ha! That won't happen, not with German and Russian entries into the war.

I expected this from Germany, as the Kaiser is power hungry, and his power is not tempered by a parliament of some sort. Russia, however, recently had their revolution. I had not expected Russia to be able to return to foreign adventures quite so soon. Something must be done about Russia.

I am to make the official pronouncement on the fall of Venice this afternoon.

--

I have officially accepted the British apology for the 1874 invasion. We are close friends, natural allies now. The British have made His Italian Majesty master of Senegal. He was reluctant to accept, as he wants to rule Italians, and as few others as possible.

Senegal truly is a barren land. Nearly forty percent of the population are socialists. 'Roma' Divisione has been dispatched there to make sure the socialists don't try to cause any trouble.

--

Franz Josef has accepted peace. We shall rule Italians in Bozen, Lienz, all the way down to Pola. Our gains in this war were limited to the Italian provinces. That was too much to hope for out of Germany and Russia.

We have expressed our disappointment, one that has been echoed by Britain, Spain, the USA, and the Ottoman Empire.

I'm intrigued: Is anyone currently playing the USA or is it under AI control?

Although it was under AI control for a while, so that's why CSA lasted so long.

BTW, I'll update soon, can't today cause it's my birthday. :cool:

To all our loyal fans out there.

The MP game have NOT died, in fact we are now in 1902. However it have mainly from my side been due to college chores that I have not updated. I tried once updating but my computer crashed which caused me to lose a HUGE update :(. Therefore I have been lackluster to update since.

I don't know why the other people haven't updated though.

However rest assured that the full story of TGS3 will be told sooner or later. Until then... :D