• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Russia - 1843 to 1850

----

The 2nd Army, fresh with reinforcements have arrived in Warsawa. Our troops stare across the border at the Prussian divisions, with whom we are at war. No orders have been given, and the Prussians havn't twitched. It seems this war will be over before it started...

------

As expected, the Tsar made peace with Prussia. Personally, I cannot understand why we do not simply crush the Germans and liberate the Poles stuck behind their borders, but the Tsar, in his infinite wisdom, clearly sees a benefit to it.

Again we march...This time to the capitol, to oversee the new fortifications at Sankt Petersburg. My expertise has been requested in the formation of the Imperial Defense Force, to be stationed at the new fortress.

-------

Peace has graced our land now for over 3 years, and the changes in Russia are becoming apparent. Our troops have new guns, our artillerymen new cannon. Morale is high, but the troops grow restless. Prussia has continued to push across Germany, and news of their expansion has been cause for concern among the top brass, as well as the commoner. My contacts in the Tsar's Poland report discrimination against Poles behind the Prussian border. If the Tsar is King of Poland, why then do Poles suffer under a Hollenzollern? The time will come, when we shall have our vengence.

Russia has changed greatly on the economic front as well. My good friend Sverd, of the Interior Ministry, tells me that much needed parts have been aquired on the world market. The Moskva steel works continues to expand, as does Russian lumber production. New products are also coming online, never before made inside Russia. Clothing is now produced in Minsk, promoting the expansion of the burgeoning middle class. The Army Supply Division is also overjoyed at the creation of a Russian explosives industry, and domestically produced fertilizer.

The Tsar's economic dreams are coming to fruition, and it is apparent in the change in society. Russians are now earning more, and eating better. More work has led to more revenues, and better equipment for my troops. New revenue and resourse streams have also made it possible to train an additional 90,000 officers for the Tsar's Army, and not a moment too soon. The army has been growing at a rate far in excess of our leadership capacity. Units were led by inexperienced and unreiable commanders, deminishing our effectiveness on the field. I myself have received 6 Lieutenants, and 1 Captain in fullfillment of a requisition sent no later than July 6, 1840. In addition, the aging Colnel Pverdolovska has been replaced at the head of the 4th Guard Regiment.

-----

Events are unfolding quickly. Prussia has swept across Germany, and our allies in London have expressed grave concern. I cannot say that I blame them, nor that I disagree.

It is apparent that the Tsar is also on edge, as we are on our way back to Warsawa. Our orders are to link up with General Validimii there and keep on alert. The troops are excited, they are ready to fight.

-----

War! Britain declared war on Prussia in April of 1845, calling Russia to her aid. Prussia was backed by her puppet German princes, although Austria bowed out of the conflict. The 2nd has crossed the border and already taken the town of Gnienzo, Posen is within our sights. The 4th and 6th armies with a combined strength of 18 divisions hold our south, having taken control over the eastern fringes of Siliesa. The 3rd Army holds our North, with the cossaks sweeping through Danzig. Appointed to lead our task force, I am now at the head of 33 divisions in Posen, with 10 conscripts in the rear for reserve. There has been no resistance as of yet, although Prussians have blocked the road to Berlin with strong forces. It will be necessary to flank them to win the day.

----

The British landing force has come ashore near Danzig, and have fought several loosing running battles with the Prussians. It has been my hope that the Prussians would overextend themselves and open a hole in their lines, as we are not sufficiently equipped to break through in a frontal attack. I have requested the British land further back in Pommerania in an attempt to split the force.

The British have taken control of parts of Hannover, and have met Austrian mercenaries, of which we are told 96,000 were destroyed in their entirety.

----

Britain has requested our assistance in a number of attacks on the Prussian line in an attempt to break through, however, all have been unsuccessful. The English have had to retreat to their ships on several occasions, and Russian reinforcements are running out to the point that I do not regularly have full strength divisions under my command. How can I be expected to win a war with a hand tied behind my back? I hope that Army command gets their act together, and fills my troop requisitions...now!!!!!

----

Morale has sunk, as have our numbers. Despite valiant attempts by the 4th and 6th to break the Bavarian expeditionary force, at the head of 20 divisions, all attacks have been repelled.

A general command to all field units has been issued to fall back to Warsawa. The war has been costly, and no end is in sight. The government has fallen deep into debt, and recruitment levels are at an all-time low. Only the genious of the Tsar can save us now.

---

The Tsar has arrived in Warsawa! He has taken personal field command of all field units on the Front, with myself as his second in command. With him he brought over 400,000 reinforcements, bringing all divisions to full strength. Operational units under his command now number over 70 divisions, including conscripts.

I had the pleasure of taking dinner with his majesty, and we discussed the coming campaign. It seems that this new initiative was born out of rage, due to the disrespect of Berlin. Apparently a public announcement from the King of Prussia himself stated that Russia appeared to be "trying to prove their worth" on the battlefield.

Insulted, the Tsar decided that the time had come to put an end to this war, and the upstart Prussian King.

There is elation in the camps. The men are focused, and ready to prove their honor.

----

The campaign has begun with the coming of spring 1847, and our troops are on the march.

Opportunities have arisen in both the North and South, and the Tsar has chosen to go all in to exploit them. All reserves have been called up to the front, with the main force in opppied Gniernzo. This will be a 3 pronged attack, with the main thrust in the center after the flanks have folded.

The 4th and 6th Armies with a conbined force of 18 fully reinforced divisions will once again move against the Bavarian force in Siliesa. The Bavarians have taken heavy losses in past attacks, and of 20 divisions, they are less than 40,000 strong.

The 5th Army in the North will move into Bromberg with 10 divisions. A Prussian army of 9 divisions has separated itself from the main force by moving into Torun to relclaim the countryside from Russia. It appears that Prussia thought the the Tsar did not have the resources to maintian an offensive, and have let their line falter. Prussian troops have been reported marching across Germany to to Hannover, where the British have occupied swathes of Prussian land. This will be their undoing.

Once the flanks fold, our main force will attack Posen with 20 divisions, against 26 Prussian divisions. Reinforcements from the flanks will attack from the north and south with full force.

----

Glory to Russia! Long Live the Tsar!

It was a race againt time. The Prussian force in East Prussia must have sensed the offensive coming, and rushed to move within support distance of the main force in Posen, but the 5th Army was too fast. The Russians reached Bromberg first, only days before the Prussians arrived. Russia won a victory in at Torun, forcing the Prussians back North, and cutting them off from aiding the main army. 4 additoonal divisions were moved into the occupied town, with orders to hold to the last.

Simultaneously, the 4th, with additional artillery, attacked the Bavarians in Siliesa. This would be the crucial battle, as if Russia was forced to retreat, the Bavarians could reinforce the main Prussian army, making the planned assault in Posen nigh on impossible. There was no doubt, however, what the result would be. The Tsar's Armies were freshly reinforced and well equipped with artillery and guards, and the Bavarians were in ragged form. They were nearly wiped off the map before retreating deeper into Prussia.

Now is the time for our victory! The flanks have folded, exposing the Prussians on 3 sides in Posen. The Tsar has given the order to march. Nearly 500,000 pairs of Russian boots converge on the Prussian force. The ground trembles beneath our feet, as liberated Poles greet their King. Onward to Glory!

----

Due to delays in orders, the 4th Army reached the Prussians first, and began the assault. As the guns of the 6th pounded the enemy, the main Russian force drew ever closer. It would not come soon enough, as Russia was outnumbered 20:26 divisions. But they could hold.

The Tsar arrived, followed by the 5th. There were now nearly 750,000 souls embroiled in combat on the Polish plain, Russia had the numbers firmly on it's side.

We now set about the greuling and morbid task of killing as many Prussians as possible. God save the Tsar.

----

Victory! After 2 years and 3 months of warfare, the guns have fell silent on the border.

Knowing they were beaten, and threatened by a complete collapse of their line, Prussia sued for peace before the Battle of Posen concluded.

Prussia would restore the nation of Hannover to its previous size, and a British puppet government would be set up there.

The Tsar would have the Polish majority provinces of Posen, Bromberg, and Gniernzo ceded to Russia. The army remains in Posen, although we are now in Russia. Celebration has broken out in the ranks, as well as in Polish towns all around the annexed territories.

Again we march...Some to Warzawa, others further into Russia to stand guard. My orders are to march southeast to the border or Moldavia. It is rumored that the time is approaching for the Tsar to fulfill his option in the Balkans per the Ottoman Treaty. I am only thankful that I may be of service to the Tsar, in his divine quest to protect and save the Slavs.

Last edited:
Diaries of Alexander Whitman

20th June 1838
There is once again peace between France and Italy. A new Italian goverment took over power when the old goverment was overthrown in an internal powerbattle. That means I am free at last to travel back to Brussels.
Personally I have never experienced such a gruelling war before. There were fights in the lower parts of the Alpes. Battles that was fought 5.000 feet above the sea.
I have this little anecdote about one episode.
I was following the 2nd Italian division on its way through its way to surround the main French expeditionary force which had moved into Torino. Using the 1st Italian army as a bulwark, two Italian divisions were sent forward to try and surround the French main force.
Here with the pinching force, I noted how the relatively young Italian commander in chief Giuseppe Garibaldi was relatively calm about the whole operation despite that failure would probably mean an utter defeat inflicted upon Italy.
Garibaldi was inviting me to dinner and giving a 4-hour long interview where he not only answered my questions but also asked myself of how things were standing with my Flemish love. He asked about how we would work out the problems that we experienced, when we sometimes had not been able to enjoy each others company for months. He himself had his love Anita Ribeiro fighting along his side. They were lovers and comrades in arms.
He told me that the reason why the Italians would win was because the idea of the nation was too strong in Italy. The Italians would win the day because in the end each single Italian soldier knew that if France won the future of Italy was gone. Italy would no longer be a sovereign nation but would be continued to be pushed around by France if not again split up into several states. This was history in the making, he said. Italy's moment and impetus as a nation laid in these moments and flickers of time. It would not show up again if the Italians did not grab up the chance now.
Garibaldi made quite an impression on me as a person. I am sure that God will smile upon him, despite his own personal believes.

25th December 1838
I am with Amelié's familie in their home near Tournai, which is not far from Brussels. We are having a most delightful Christmas. Incredibly enough they even have a Christmas tree! The Christmas tree is a German idea. Basically you bring a pine tree with all its small needles into your house and decorate it with glittering stars and hearts.
To begin the Christmas morning was a excited yell from the little-brother to Amelié. Obviously he had received gifts in his Christmas stocking. Dozens of candy bars and a delightful set of toy soldiers.
At noon we were ready for the Christmas lunch which was absolutely lovely. We had this lovely prepared goose along with chips or what the Belgians would call: Pommes Frites. For dessert we had Belgian waffles with sweet white Vanilla icecream.
As we prepare for the evening sermon, my heart is beating. Not in religious tension but more because I think I will propose to Amelïé. She is the most lovely woman I have known and when I am together with her I feel whole. I feel that she completes me. If there is one person in the world that you can share your soul with then Amelié and me are indeed soulmates. I think I will propose to her after church. Wish me luck.

Well, I know it's really short and concise but at least it gets me up-to-date on the AAR.

Important events that have happened to the OE:

July 30, 1836: Ottoman Empire declares colonial war upon Tunis.
Novermber 6, 1837: Ottoman Empire annexes Tunis.
February 15, 1838: Egypt declares a colonial war on the Ottoman Empire.
April 5 1839: Egypt accepts peace with Ottoman Empire ceding Crete and Cyprus to the OE.

Policies:
Sultan is protector of all Sunnis
Retain hold of Balkans
Retain Great Power status
Expand and colonize in Africa
Restore Ottoman power in Egypt and the Levant
Crush the rival Shi'a state of Persia
Industrialize

Office of the Imperial Foreign Minister--January 1, 1850
A letter on the Minister's desk, addressed to His Glorious Imperial Majesty:

Your Imperial Majesty, the Government took the bold step last month of opening diplomatic channels with the Great Powers. Trade will still be disallowed with all but the Dutch, and they only at Nagasaki. The following is a listing of the nations which have contacted this office, their strengths, this office's recommendations, and their attitude towards Your Majesty.

The Tsar of Russia--A very powerful nation many hundreds of times our size. Has threatened war over Korea and China. We must be cautious.

The Queen of England--Monarch of an Island much like ourselves. Controls a significant portion of the world. A very strong nation that has also threatened war over Korea and China. We must be even more cautious, as their fleet is as numerous as the stars in the sky.

The King of Prussia(Kaiser of Germany)--Monarch of a relatively strong nation. He has a strong army, but a much weaker navy. Has indicated that he would support the integration of Korea into the Empire. Prussian support likely is not enough to force the issue. His latter title has not been internationally recognized yet.

The King of Italy--Monarch of a relatively weak nation in Europe. Their greetings were not hostile or threatening, but not welcoming, either. Your Majesty does not need to worry about Italy as of yet.

The Sultan of the Ottoman Empire--Monarch of a relatively weak, unstable regime. We have not received contact from the sultan yet. No danger from the Ottoman Empire. This office urges the Glorious Emperor not to worry about the Ottoman Empire.

The Emperor of Austria--Monarch who descends from a long and glorious line of Emperors. No response has been received from this Emperor, and Austria lacks a large navy, so this office recommends that Your Imperial Majesty pay Austria no heed yet.

The Emperor of France--A somewhat odd monarch whose uncle dominated Europe for more than a decade. We say odd, because at times he calls himself the Emperor, Louis Napoleon, and at others, the President of the French Republic. France has offered a potential anti-Russian alliance. Our ambassador has remained noncommittal, however this office encourages Your Majesty to not accept this proposal until Japan's Army and Navy have been built to the level where Your Majesty can beat the Russians and hold the British.

The Foreign Minister wishes to warn Your Glorious Imperial Majesty against Russia and Britain, while suggesting close relations with Prussia and France. Diplomacy, of all the fields of goverment, is dynamic. Everything changes suddenly. The Foreign Minister will send Your Imperial Majesty additional letters with this office's recommendations as the situation changes.

Your Eternal Servant,​
Fujiro Watanabe​

Last edited:

26th December 1838
I thank God of all my heart. Yesterday after church I took all the courage I had in me and proposed to my dear dear Amelié. Without hesitation she said yes. I am so joyful today that these mere words belittle my happiness.

31st March 1839
Me and Amelié decided to have a long period before our final marriage vows comes to place. The reason for this is that I have plenty of final work to do for my paper before I can finally quit and settle down together with Amelié. We have plans to move to Tournai where I have seen this plan to open my own inn.

26th April 1839
My brother Graham tells me that he has been promoted to junior supervisor in the factory he works in. This means he now have the responsibility of 10 people. I hope he doesn't muddle it up. But I have faith in him. His hard work brought him to the place he is and I am sure that he is going to continue that work.

1st August 1839
The goverment decided not to escelate the conflict between the Imperial Court in China and England. The goverment gave a swift note to English merchants in China that the English goverment had no jurisdiction in China and it would not seek to impose English laws for Englishmen in China.
This comes after an English sailor was arrested and then later executed in China.

Russia

1850-1854

There has been little to remark to in past years, as the duldrum of peaceful life has taken its toll on my writings. I have not been called on in over 4 years by the Tsar, although I oversee the army command at Warsawa. The troops grow fat and lazy.

General Illisku led the invasion of Moldavia, barely firing a shot. The Romanians are thankful for the protection of the Tsar. Khiva has also been annexed by the Empire, althuogh there was little glory to be had.

Military strategists in the Tsar's war council have expressed concern over the formation of a Pact to oppose the Alliance. Austria and France have both joined into defensive agreements with Germany, our hated enemy. I say let them all come!!! Russia will bow to no nation, nor group thereof. Our power is unparalleled, our resolve unflinching. But for some action!

I've decided to do my AAR part in the form of a history book. Each session will get its own update, no matter how short it is. It will be divided into sections: political, social, and economic. The political section will also include military matters. This is my first AAR so, here goes.

1850-1854: A Period of Prosperity

Political

Not much of political or military importance occurred in the Ottoman Empire during the early 1850s. The only major military action was the invasion of the desert nation of Tripoli. War was declared on October 28, 1850. The invasion was a complete success with the Ottoman cavalry sweeping into the heart of the Sahara Desert. Tripoli was incorporated into the Ottoman Empire on June 18, 1851. One year later, on September 7, 1852, the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire enacted his long awaited plan to release the state of Bosnia as a satellite nation. This was done for three reasons.
1) The state is not of much economic importance to the Empire.
2) The militancy in the region has made it hard to keep effective control
over the area.
3) Austria, Russia, and the Ottoman Empire could not agree on what to do
with the various religious groups present in the state at almost equal
proportions.
In this time the Ottoman Empire expanded its colonial holdings greatly in Africa into the rest of Cameroon and further into the Sahara Desert.

Economic

This was a period of great economic expansion in the Ottoman Empire. The nation's first steel factories and lumber mills were built and the railroad network was started and the construction boomed. In this time railroad networks were completed stretching from Istanbul to Basra and across the Libyan and Tunisian coastline. Also, unions were outlawed during this time.

Social

The Ottoman Empire stayed consistent thoughout this time socially as a constitutional monarchy with the ruling Imperial Party and the Sultan running the country. The state was not very democratic with a state-run press and although the Ottoman Empire had a multi-party system, the Sultan had full rights to ban any political party.

Below is a map of the situation of the Ottoman Empire in November 1854.

OttomanEmpireTGS.jpg

Note: Feel free to comment on this style of AAR and offer suggestions.

Last edited:
From the Diary of Giuseppe Vermazzo, prime minister to the Re d'Italia

At last the forces of progress have come to the nation. Under the rule of my predecessor, Count A. I. Suicidio, Italy went from a nation honored throughout the world to a nation falling apart. I have spent the past four years putting this nation back together, and it is only now, at the end of 1858, that I can say that I have been successful.

That incompetent fool decided to build SIX steel factories, when the whole nation only has two iron mines of moderate size. Over the past couple years, I shut down the majority of these useless factories, and replaced them with factories to produce goods required by our growing nation. The man's obsession with steel while neglecting necessities like clothing, food, furniture, and lumber is unfathomable. At least he sacked for gross incompetence by the voters of this great nation. The Moderati are now in the saddle, and doing well. Our policies are supported by the clear majority of Italians. They now can afford bread for their tables, and now, no longer must weave their own fabrics.

The king requested a report on the other great powers. I was frank with him, though in case the opposition lies about my statements, I will record them here.

Russia: The Tsar is a despot, though he attempts to remain enlightened. He does an admirable job for one man, who cannot rely on the backing of the people. He supports the status quo in Europe, a lofty goal, though difficult to maintain. His friendship with the Queen of England is well-known, and in one of our recent discussions, he revealed that the Anglo-Russian agreement of 1844 still holds regarding Turkey. He should be regarded as our ally. We may have misgivings about the nature of his rule, but he has the interests of Europe and stability at heart.

United Kingdom: The British, though seemingly aloof, have made their presence known in Europe. Their alliance with Russia has, at least temporarily secured the peace of Europe. Only a coalition of the rest of the great powers could humble this alliance. England, however, is very strict about China. If your Majesty will just remember the British note to the Japanese Emperor, wherein Great Britain threatened the Empire of Japan with dismemberment if they moved on China or Korea. Great Britain is a shrewd dealer, but also our ally. They will support us if any threaten Italy. Just this past year, this government signed a mutual defense pact with England, pledging to fight for each other if attacked. The British government is a liberal regime, much as this government is. They also support the status quo in Europe, and as such will not intervene unless forced.

Germany: The Kaiser is a despot, much like the Tsar. The major difference is that the Kaiser is not working for peace, progress, and goodwill, but quite the opposite. He has pledged to outstrip Russia in an arms race, a threat to the safety of Europe. he must be watched warily.

Austria: The Emperor of Austria is a despot. He, unlike his fellow Kaiser, is peaceful by nature. He cooperated with the Turkish Sultan in resolving the Somalia Question, as well. There is a bone of contention between us: Milano, Venezia, and Trieste. This will not be resolved diplomatically, unfortunately for both our nations. I will not push for war, I will not accept it. I will work my hardest for peace. I just would like your majesty to know that if war comes, this government will not be taken by surprise, and will prosecute the war to the fullest of our ability.

Turkey: The Sultan has recently become embroiled in a war with France over Morocco. This is troubling, but there seems little chance of it escalating to a Great War. Bosnia has been given semi-autonomy as an agreement with Great Britain and Austria. This is encouraging, as this would give us some form of legal argument for plebiscites in Milano and Venezia.

France: Your majesty is aware of our stance with France after your recent visit to Paris.

Under the incompetent's leadership, Italy's place in the world was in doubt. Austria and France looked greedily at our young nation. The British and Russians, originally the supporters of unification, saw Italy as a liability, not an asset. All has changed. We now count on Britain and Russia as our allies. Even the French, despite their hold on Savoy and Nice, have pledged they will march to our aid if we are attacked. Though Italy desires peace with all her heart, our armies are now ready to defend their homes against all comers.

Germany and Russia have been rattling sabers for the past three months. Germany has announced a desire to form an opposing alliance to the one we belong to. They call it 'Entente cordiale'. Ha! The Germans use a French term to describe their alliance. It would be amusing if it were not so dangerous. We stand on the edge of the cliff. Peace and goodwill are within our grasp. I shall do all in my power to keep this world from falling into the abyss, but if war comes, he who marches against Italy shall perish.

Last edited:
The Diaries of Alexander Whitman

11th November 1840
The French parliament just approved the proposal for a re-union with Belgium. This has been done without any consent from the Belgian goverment. This is indeed dire news. The French have been very outspoken in the Belgian question. In fact there have only been jingoistic tones from the French part.

25th February 1841
The French declared war against Belgium today. I don't know what to think or feel. I am currently in Tournai with Amelié and her family. They don't want to leave despite my plea for them to head to Brussels which are much better defended.
I am frustrated and mad. I am thinking of joining the British army in order to save my family. The French parliament had declared that Belgium was an integral part of France and that it would do anything to reclaim the French heritage.
I know from my friends back at my old newspaper that the British goverment is preparing for war. They say that with the threat of British intervention, the French does not dare to lay their hand son Belgium. I however have my doubts. The French military is build upon conscription. Every single French citizen is required to serve the state in times of war. Our own boys only have a small standing army. We can't protect Belgium should the whole French nation go to war.

12th March
I am going to London today to rally support for a full military intervention against France. I have been assigned as a field journalist for my old newspaper to cover the current war. I however can't get over that I left Amelié and her family back in Belgium. Of course I'll be going there with our lads in 2 days but I still can't feel a nagging worry in my mind.

30th March
This is a letter from my dear Amelié dated 24th March.

Dear Alexander,
Troops surrounded the farm today. I saw them seizing the property of my parents declaring it to be French state property now. They arrested my father and brother. My mother and I are fine, however we've been told to pack our thngs and move away from the farm. We will go to Tournai city. Which is now under French control. I have faith in you.

Your beloved
Amelié

My blood boils as I hear this. What gruelling trials the French have not endured upon my family.
Currently I am in Dunkerque. The French coastline was undefended and our troops had little trouble in landing there and seizing a beachhead.

24th July 1841
We captured Tournai! I saw Amelié and her family for the first time in 4 months. I am arranging for them to travel to London as fast as possible. Her father is okay and was released after being shortly detained by the French. However her brother have both visible and invisible scars on him. I am both shamed and furious at how the French have behaved in Belgium. Reports everywhere are telling the same thing. The French soldiers rape, steal and torture the local population.
However the British navy have completely annihilated the French navy and there is no longer a regular French army.

5th August 1841
Prussia declared war on Hannover.
In the wake of our war against France. Prussia saw it fit to declare war on Hannover. Hannover which chose not to ally itself with Prussia and instead have a close tie to Britain have come under fire from the Prussian goverment. England have commited itself to the defense of Hannover. It is dead wrong in my opinion. We cannot be two places at one time. However the royalists in London will not stand for this Prussian insult as they say it is. The queen's place of birth must not be smeared by the Prussian as they say.
Already our lads are being relocated to Hannover. Despite having liberated the whole of Belgium, France is still at war with Belgium. And the French parliament just called for a levy en masse.

14th November 1841
How I hate to be right. The British expeditionary force that was supposed to land in Hannover is being redirected back to Belgium where French troops are swarming in.
The goverment in Hannover fell quickly and a new goverment instated by the Prussians have quickly signed a peace with Prussia ceding everything but Hannover city to Prussia. Now as I write this, Belgium is once again swarmed by French troops.

3rd March 1843
Peace was concluded between France and Belgium. The Belgian country completely occupied, the Belgian goverment in exile was forced to sign a peace treaty after 2 years of war.
Giving up the provinces of Tournai, Namur and Arlon.
England was unable to prevent the French levy en masse from swarming out on Belgium and a renewed offensive from England was put short when the Belgian goverment bowed down to the French offer to "only" take Tournai, Namur and Arlon.

14th June 1843
I am to be a father.
Amelié is expecting a baby. I am very happy. Despite the recent happenings, Amelié's family is alright. They have moved to London and are thriving here.

Also I have decided to pick up my old job now. I feel that only by reporting I can try to change the world in my view. I am horrified at the common British opinion on the matter of Belgium. The common chap on the street didn't care at all about the war. Despite all my reports of the foul behaviour of the French soldiers in Belgium it wasn't enough to change the mood in England that we should only wage a limited war for Belgian freedom. Instead our focus was divided between both Hannover and Belgium.

6th March 1844
Walt Whitman was born today. Me and Amelié named our son after my second brother who left the family to the States early on. I hope wherever Walt is that he is well. Amelié needs rest. It was a harsh birth but at least she is fine now.

17th May 1844
The British Expeditionary Force have been established as a permanent force to be allocated in minor engagements around the globe. Its first task will be to restore order on the Italian peninsula after the Italian goverment have requested British help to fight down the armed rebellions of disgruntled would-be aristrocrats who lost their power in the Italian war of Unification.

20th August 1844
The British industrial revolution is phenomenal here in London. The city is growing so fast that the city planners can't keep up with it.

Russia 1860-1865

A personal letter from Yaroslav Huereska

April 1, 1865

Greetings father, I hope this letter finds you well. I have been so busy lately that I havn't been able to send word in recent months. It seems so long since I have been home in Novgorod, it seems only a moment ago that I set off to join the Tsar's army.

As you know, I was selected at recruitment for the officer's academy at Sevastapol. I graduated from the Academy in the winter and now hold commission as 1st Liutenant. I was assigned to the 76th Corp, and set about finding my career in the Army.

It wasn't long before the call of duty rang true. As you know, the foolish Dutch have once more declared a colonial conflict with Russia. To my surprise, the 76th was called from Sevastapol to Borneo, to protect our interests there. These Dutch shall never learn...

It is no secret, so I am allowed to reveal that my unit will board ships of the 2nd fleet for transport to Java. We shall teach these treacherous Dutch a lesson in war, and the sooner the better. Word is that Germany is threatening Russia because of this war with the Netherlands. What insolent baffoons! The Dutch declare war on Russia, and Germany send US a warning??? My hope is that we shall occupy Indonesia quickly and make peace with the Dutch, so that I may return to Russia and prepare to fight the Germans.

Everyone has been talking about the threat that is Germany, and all officers are now expected to have at least some German language skills, as it will be useful when war comes. Uncle Vlad tells me that his troops are itching for a fight with the Germans, and that they are ready. Apparently he has already received the new iron breech-loading artillery, as well as machine guns. It seems that the German military has grown as well, as the concern is apparent in the top brass. I only wish that my unit were assigned to the west front, so that I might get my chance to smite a few heathens.

One of my comrades has a brother in the Interior Ministry, and tells me great things are happening back in Russia. According to ministry statistics, Russia has nearly caught up to the Germans in industrial strength, and with new expansions coming online, we shall pull ahead god-willing.

Important session events/statistics

Prestige : 320
Industry : ~2200
Military : 378
Population: 93,000,000

-Defeated Netherlands in 1st Colonial war, aquiring all of Borneo
-Claimed the colony of Borneo
-Significant industrial expansion of Steel/lux clothes/steamers/furniture/clothing/explosives/fertilizer

Alliances
Full - UK, OE, Sweden
Defensive - Krakow (Satellite), Italy

Wars
2nd Dutch colonial war (declared by Netherlands)

Last edited:
1854-1861: Colonization and War

Political

In the period of the late 1850s, the Ottoman Empire experienced a period of great colonial expansion in Africa. The Ottomans pushed further south from Tripoli into the Sahara and north and east from Cameroon. A landmark agreement with the Austro-Hungarian Empire marked a turning point in the relations between these two nations, with the Austrians claiming southern Somaliland and the Ottomans claiming northern Somaliland bordering the Red Sea. On the other side of Africa, the Ottoman Empire claimed the territory of Inner Algeria, and made an agreement to defend the Sultanate of Morocco against any Spanish or French attack. The year 1859 was a turbulent year for the Ottoman Empire. Early in the year, the Empire declared war on the newly independent state of Zanzibar and by the middle of the year, the small island off the coast of Austrian Tanzania became an Ottoman dependency. In December, the Ottoman military was put to the test when France stated intentions to bring Morocco into their colonial empire. The Ottomans retaliated and started to move troops into French Algeria from the miliatry base in Tunis. As the troops headed west, troops were mobilized in the deserts of Ottoman Algeria to launch an offensive into French-occupied Morocco. The war became a stalemate at the Algerian-Moroccan border with slight Ottoman offensives and the occupation of French Algeria being the only things keeping Morocco alive. In early 1861, France made a desperate move and accepted peace with the Moroccan Sultan leaving him with the mere Atlantic coast. This angered the Ottoman Sultan, but he considered it a victory in that Morocco was still alive and he had shown the European powers that the Ottomans still deserved their status as a Great Power. The war would be known as the Franco-Ottoman War.

Franco-OttomanWar.jpg

A shot of the early offensives in the Franco-Ottoman War.

Economic

The nation's industry continued to expand, but not as rapidly as the previous 5 years.

Social

Once again, the governmental system in the Ottoman Empire did not change throughout this period.

Last edited:

27th February 1845
War have broken out between Prussia and England!
English demands regarding a free Hannover and Bavaria have not been met. Therefore England declared war on Prussia. The Alliance was invoked and Russia and the Ottoman Empire are now also at war with Prussia.

30th May 1845
With my family now safely in London, I have been sent as a war reporter to the Russian front. I have there met this fine man mr. Huereska. He is the general in charge for the Eastern front. He is a strong nationalist and a staunch believer of a Slavic state uniting the people in both Poland, Romania, Greece and Russia. He tells me that the Slavic people have suffered long enough from both Germanic and Moslem people. Mr. Vlad Huereska is a decent man and seems to care for his soldiers alot. He admires the Tsar very much.
I have done an extensive report on this man not only on behalf of my newspaper but also to the government in England. I am certain that this war won't be the last we will see to mr. Huereska.

Vlad Huereska

The initial allied attack on Germany.

26th September 1845
The British landings at Stettin and Swinemunde was ordered evacuated after numerically stronger Prussian forces came. Now the war plans have changed to present an united front with the Russian as due mr. Huereska's wishes

3rd March 1846
Nothing new from the Eastern front... family at home is worried about me, my son is growing big without his dad. I am very sad.

28th September 1846
The stalemate in the east have gotten the High Allied Command to reconsider the grand strategy. Another British Expeditionary Force have been raised to land in Hannover. So far the force have met little resistance except facing the Austrian Volunteer Army of 9 divisions which was utterly surrounded and destroyed.

13th June 1847
The war is still at a stalemate, Prussian troops have repulsed a renewed Russian offensive on the East while taking back parts of Hannover in the West. However the Prussian economy is failing dramatically. The Prussian state is in severe war debt.

2th July 1847
We have finally won the war! British and Russian patience and general revolts all over the Rhineland have resulted in the Prussian state offering terms to us!
Hannover is to be reinstated and its lands returned. Hannover will be a British ally and will have time to decide for itself whether it will join a German commonstate or not. The decision will not be made a the point of a Prussian rifle.
Posen and the surrounding lands with its Polish citizens will be given to the Russian principality of Poland.

English victory.

20th September 1847
I have joined the Whig Party. The troubles of this country cannot be solved by telling about them no longer. I feel I have to influence the politics more directly. I can do this by joining the Whig party. My family applauds the decision.

24th October 1847
Amelié is pregnant again! I am still the most happy man on earth!

My beautiful wife

1st April 1848
I have been been elected for parliament in the constituency of Holborn! And no it isn't a April's fool!

24th July 1848
Charlotte Amelié Whitman was born today. The birth was taxing on Amelié but she is fine now. I am very happy.

Last edited:

4th October 1848
The Italian problems are now my personal problems. I have been appointed as advisor for the shadow foreign minister on the Italian issues due to my experience on Italian matters. Italy have undergone several changes these past years which the Italian goverment haven't been able to cope with. The reunification of Italy presented alot of disgruntled people who was bereft of their old status. It is these people who have gained in power lately and have been able to destabilize the Italian government to a point where the military itself revolted. However a new government was installed by a quite moderate general and it seems that now the Italian peninsula is under control. I have advised to the shadow minister that we are to sign an alliance with Italy if we are to stabilize the current government's hold on power and to prevent Italy from disintegrating into small states once more.

20th July 1849
We are now at war with Annam. The whig party have protested severely against this war but the tories have been warmongering these past months and finally an insult from the Annam goverment on one of our trading companies broke the straw.
The British expeditionary force in India have been sent and we expect that Annam will become a British vassal along with Cambodia in a few months

Mission Accomplished!

1st January 1850
With a new year ahead I can say that we came out of 1849 in a good state

State of affairs 1850

5th March 1851
Delightful is it that artists, inventors and engineers all over the world have come to the world fair here in London!

3rd May 1851
And it is final, the people have Hannover have decided to join the new state of Germany. At least it was in their own free hands that they made this decision.

5th April 1852
A new election and despite that the whigs have gained on the tories in parliament, we have still not gained hold of the government yet. I got my seat again in my constiuency and is now senior advisor to the shadow foreign minister. It seems that England will go to war again against a country outside of Europe. This time Ethiopia. The tories have decided that we cannot have Austria claim the entire Eastern Africa without opposition. Austria moved in on the failing state of Oman and annexed its African provinces. So now we have to move into Ethiopia. I think it is folly to waste the energy on this kind of foreign adventure with no clear end to it.

30th November 1852
Ethiopia was defeated and English claims were made on Eastern Africa. Conflict is now brewing up with Austria. The Whig party have arranged for large scale boycuts of the war and the Queen herself have spoken against the war.

1st May 1853
The Tory government have fallen! Due to the foreign policy crisis on the Ethiopia case, the Queen have dismissed the Tory government on the basis of the an internal split in the Tory party over the war and asked the leader of the opposition to form a government. Our new government have been struck a deal with Austria and a potential European war have. The deal included handing over of English claims in Eastern Africa for a promise that Austria would not expand further into Africa.
Also the Ethiopian state was compensated for its loss and given huge amounts of financial aid as well as a promise to have its land returned after 30 years of English agricultural development in said provinces.

My lovely wife Amelié with some more concerns about my new role

Last edited:

3rd September 1856
I've been loaded with work these couple of years. I've been awarded with the ministry of labour for my work efforts... I fear just that it will give me more workload. However British industrialization is unrivalled and the living conditions for the common people all over the Empire is improving heavily. I have been one of the strongest advocates for common healthcare and in the latest financial bill we have that on the program! It will be a heavy load to install it but we finally nailed it. Good healthcare will be given to every single subject of the British crown per 1857!

Picture of Amelié in front of the Ministry

30th August 1858
The South African Diamond Company decided to provoke the countries of Orange and Transvaal with mining excavations deep into the borders of those said countries. With its hired army it thought itself capable of defending that however no. Now the British goverment is called upon to defend British South Africa. Despite my opposition to the war there is nothing we can do. Cape Town have been under attack and the British control of whole Africa would be in jeopardy if we did not lift a finger. We'll have to send our lads abroad once again.
It also turns out that the SADC has hired some of the most incompentent people to lead the private armies they have recruited amongst the natives of South Africa... In turn Africans were slaugthered for the greed of these capitalists.

January 14th 1861
A great tragedy have befallen the world. The house called USA was divided and now a rogue regime in the southern part of what was formerly USA have formed. That state is CSA, it is a state based on slavery. Despite that the English government is not currently at war with that state many of the members of the government is for a war and joining up with our brothers in the USA against this rogue regime. However the Foreign Minister is opposed to this.

20th December 1861
After longer controversy in our government I was appointed Foreign Minister. Our Prime minister is confident that I am better suited to represent the views of our government on the foreign affairs matters. I leave the Ministry of Labour with a sense of satisfaction for having continued the English industrialization processs.

England in may 1862

30th May 1862
The war in USA is going badly for the US side. England was even required under international laws to go to war with the USA. Good thing that at least some in this government kept their heads cold. Especially myself.

Trent affair

30th November 1863
The Lincoln government have finally called for foreign aid in its war against the CSA. England is now finally allied to USA and is now at war with CSA! Finally we can do something though I fear it is too late.

England in CSA

24th January 1864
Today is a black day. The newly elected government of McClellan signed a peace with the CSA despite that our lads was taking Richmond. I don't have anything good to say about the new American government so I'll chose not to say anything at all.

McClellan administration

7th March 1865
It have been a long time without good news but here is some at last. A joint effort by the Ministry of Labour and my own Ministry have ensured that the Suez Canal will be built!

Suez Canal

Last edited:
a tidbit about the structure of the Alliance as per 1872.

History of the Alliance.

The Alliance was an initiative started between Russia and the Ottoman Empire and Prussia. England soon joined the Alliance as it goals were to promote a stable world order. Shortly after the formation of the Alliance, the Prussian goverment however withdrew its support from the alliance.
The alliance have been involved in one war since its creation. That was against Prussia in 1845-1846. The result was a victory for the Alliance resulting in the Polish freedom from Prussian tyranny, as well as the sovereignity of Hannover.

Alliance forces have also operated in peacekeeping missions in Italy, where it helped stabilize the country amidst the changing goverments in the wake of Italian unification.
Although not officially an Alliance war, the war of Belgium independence in 1840-1841 was undertaken by both Belgian and English troops. The result was a continued sovereign Belgium state.

Italy was accepted as a memberstate after the country had stabilized in 1845.

In the later years several countries have joined the Alliance in their association with the British Empire. These countries include the Netherlands, USA, Venezuela and Portugal.

The mission of the Alliance is to secure a stable world order. Currently one country is consistenly upsetting the international society with its warmongering and deliberate attacks on sovereign states.

An attack on a member state is to be considered as an attack on all member states. In that case each member state must to its utmost to help and defend the member state under attack.

Current members of the Alliance:
Bosnia
Italy
Krakow
Ottoman Empire
Portugal
Russia
Sweden
United Kingdom
USA

Veto power
To gain veto power, a country must be in a full alliance to all other countries who have current veto power in the Alliance.

Members with veto power
Ottoman Empire
Russia
United Kingdom
Italy

Voting power
Italy, Ottoman Empire, Russia and England have 1 full vote. Other members vote count as 1/2 a vote.

Decisions
Resolutions to go to war when a member state have not been attacked directly requires 66% of the votes.
Other resolutions require 51% of the total votes to pass.

Enrollment in the alliance
For new countries to be enrolled in the Alliance, a resolution must pass requiring 51% of the total votes.

Jurisdiction
The Alliance is only a military partnership between the memberstates. Even then any member is allowed at anytime to step out of the alliance. The Alliance have no jurisdiction to involve in internal affairs of a memberstate or pass any resolutions that infringe on the sovereignity of a member state.

OOC
To have 100% control of a memberstate vote, that country must be a sattelite of the player country.

To have majority control of a memberstate vote the player country must be allied to the state and have relations over 180+. This applies when no other countries in the Alliance are allied to that said state. If two or more countries are allied to that member state in question then the vote have to be discussed between all countries who have an alliance with the particular member state.

Only civilized countries can have votes.

After 10 years in the alliance, veto power will be given to player nations.

All player nations have 1 full vote. All AI nations have 1/2 vote.

1861-1872: Peace, War, and Trouble in the Balkans

Political

Although not much happened during the first half of this period, the later 1860s and into the 1870s proved a tumultuous time for the Ottoman Empire. On March 1, 1868, the Ottoman Empire declared war once again on the rogue state of Egypt and, after having industrialized and modernized while Egypt stagnated, the war was a resounding victory for the Ottomans. The British also participated in the war against Egypt. The war ended in late 1869 with the Egyptians ceding Palestine, much of northern Egypt, and Khartoum and the United Kingdom claiming everything else south of 21,30 N latitude. During this war France invaded Belgium, and once the war with Egypt was over with, the Ottoman armies made their way to Algeria in case of retaliation by the Grand Alliance. For the next year there was tension all over Europe and the Mediterranean as the Alliance discussed the Belgian crisis, but luckily for the French war was averted. Over in the Americas the CSA and Mexico had been doing well in the American Civil War but with British intervention in the 2nd Civil War on behalf of the United States caused the downfall of the Confederates until Germany started assisting Mexico by sending them ships to combat the British in the Gulf of Mexico. The Ottoman view on the American Civil War was neutral, because although the sultan was allied with the British, he felt sympathy for the struggling Confederates as both they and the Ottomans were slave empires. Around April 1871, members of the Russian government were caught attempting to incite riots in the Slavic Balkan states and supposedly trying to grant these states independence. This caused slight tensions between the Ottoman Empire and Russia but the Ottoman sultan could not enact his revenge as the rebellious ideas were spreading to Balkan citizens in other parts of the country, most notably, Tripoli. Plagued by these revolts that were growing ever stronger in the Balkan Peninsula even in the Greek population in Constantinople. The sultan was forced to bring troops over from their base in Tunisia to cursh the revolts in the Greek Isles and even had to call for international help from the Grand Alliance. Meanwhile in the Americas despite Britain's best efforts the CSA accepted a white peace with the United States. The Ottoman Empire also claimed several states in western Egypt and Sudan during this time.

OETGS3AAR1872.jpg

Ottoman Empire as of 1872

Economic

The Ottoman Empire has somewhat stagnated industrially to quell the revolts but plans are already underway to construct a railroad to connect the Istanbul-Baghdad railroad with the North African Coastal Railway via Alexandria and Jerusalem and to extend the Central African Railway to Khartoum. Once the revolts have been dealt with the economy will surely push forward and the country will continue to modernize.

Social

A major social change seems to be brewing in the Ottoman Empire. With the Russians meddling in the Balkans they have brought not only the idea of nationalism but also of democracy. More and more people cry out for a democratic government to replace the autocratic system that has worked for hundreds of years and the works of liberal revoltuionaries such as Voltaire are being translated into Arabic. The sultan is considering adopting a democratic parliament so that his power will remain but he will be able to receive the positions of all the ethnic groups in the nation better. Also, people are starting to expect the Ottoman Empire to enact some of the governmental reforms that the other Great Powers seem to be adopting, such as government-funded healthcare, mandatory safety regulations at the workplace, putting limits on work hours in factories, and providing economic assistance to the lower classes.

Last edited: