• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry if I missed it, but what are the current Naval treaties, and will you stick to them? Ridgid like in OTL or merely lip service because of "extraordinary measures"? Or just say that the Japanese are building something bigger and ergo restrictions can be quietly loosened...

I believe the London Naval Treaty (or maybe the second one) was never ratified, for a variety of reasons.

Reactions:
Much as I hesitate to contradict our esteemed host, the Bristol Brabazon was an oversized landplane, not a flying boat (perhaps you were thinking of the Saunders-Roe Princess?)
The Brabazon had some interesting features (in some ways it was the first wide-body aircraft), and might have been successful if (a) the interior layout had reflected post-war reality rather than pre-war aspiration and (b) it hadn't been over taken by the jet age.

Carriers, battleships or battlecruisers? Always an interesting choice, particularly since all types performed well in the Italian War. My guess is that Churchill's Air Ministry will make a grab for the Fleet Air Arm (again), and the Sea Lords will go for utility battleships (say 9x15", 25 knots) to replace the "R" class, rather than more Renowns. The problem with BCs is that if you put 30+ knot engines in a Treaty-size hull, you won't have enough space left for full battleship armament, much less armour.

Oh, and a Republican vote for Idaho, so it won't feel left out.

Reactions:
Arilou - Noted.

daemonofdecay - The good people of much of the mid-west do need something to do in between cows. Excessive drinking is the least bad option.

trekaddict - Given the pride and prestige instilled in her the Navy has little choice but to stick with the Hood and keep her top of the line. Unless something even better were to come along......

TheExecuter - Picking off those isolated states, fine tactical voting. ;)

Nathan Madien - I'll stick with it then, still got to work out how to convert a (mostly) popular vote into state votes. Though the way it's going if people keep filling in states it may end up with 2000 type scenario where the electoral college vote goes a different way from the popular vote. Which would be most interesting. ;)

RAFspeak - You sir are a heathen, an absolute philistine! Alas your vote still counts. :eek: :D

Hawkeye1489 - As the Kingfish is basing his entire strategy on the Democrats losing in '36 so he can clean up in '40 a Republican Louisiana is not out of the question, especially if things look tight. In a choice between party and self interest old Huey isn't going to chose the former that's for sure. ;)

Duritz - As you're clearly a gambling man I wonder what odds you'd offering for this election at the moment?

Sir Humphrey - The naval treaties are as dead as a dead thing. Though in practical terms the US has no interest in building much (may chance depending on who gets in the White House), Italy has sever post war problems to deal with so isn't planning much while the French, because of Italy's destroyed fleet, don't see any need to expand their fleet (Germany is still publicly laying low navally, in private however...)

That leaves Japan who have paused their naval builds to see in the Abyssinian War revealed any great naval secrets (i.e settle the BB or CV decision) but are still definitely going for a vast fleet and the Royal Navy who are up next.

Anazagar - A Dakota has been coloured Red, I'd give you both but that would be two votes and thus cheating. ;)

daemonofdecay - Indeed after Japan and Italy walked out Churchill decided there was not a lot of point agreeing to limit the Royal Navy when the enemies it was most most likely to face weren't limited.

merrick - You are correct and I was thinking of the Princess, the shame of it. :eek:o They were designed at the same time and had (for some points of development anyway) the same engine, as I last read about them in the autobiography of that engine designer I must of mixed them up at that point.

The Brabazon's main contribution was in delaying and generally mucking around with Bristol's other turbo-prop the Britannia. They had a common engine, the Proteus, which had so many problems purely because of the contrived requirements of the Brabazon and Princess. Take those two away, the Britannia enters into service faster, with working engines and ahead of the competition. Of course jets are going to rule trans-Atlantic work, or indeed anything long distance, but for short/medium range a turbo-prop is nearly as fast, quieter and far cheaper to run. A success could have laid the foundations for Bristol making it in civil aviation, which is an intriguing concept.

Still this is post-war British aviation, I'm sure government and management would have found new and innovative ways to bugger it up somehow.

As to the navy, some good guesses but to give you an equally good answer I'd have to post most of an upcoming update, which would defeat the object of posting it later. Your answer will come this weekend hopefully. :)

Opinion poll delayed as I spent far too long on the paragraphs above. Though rest assured the votes have all been counted.

Reactions:
...I See Dead Pages (too)

Must be contagious, this 'phantom page viewing' thing, because now I've caught it too. Or perhaps only philistines who think battleships make excellent targets for early A-bomb tests are afflicted by it? :rolleyes:

Anyway, a large collection of RAF Erks have just gone on a trip to Louisiana (of all places), and blundered accidentally into a polling booth. They all voted for the Democrat ticket - the damned commies! :rofl:

• 1Like
Reactions:
Vote Hull/Barkley! They'll build America! In a cave. With a box of scraps!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Vote Landon in Florida
Just for the sake of it,

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hull Barkley in Ohio!

• 1Like
Reactions:
One vote for Alf in Utah even though mormons don't drink that much booze (even if it's legal)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Vote Hull/Barkley in New Jersey!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Jalex - The Republicans will need all their supporters to keep their lead, it's a tight race.

RAFspeak - Voting Democrat? Must be Bomber Command boys, you'd never get the Fighter Command pulling that sort of stunt. (More on why that is so later... )

Pwn*Star - If nothing else there are going to be State's Rights men in congress, which will be fun if that race is tight. :D

Arilou - It's an excellent skill and one I at least am envious of. Whether or not it's the first thing people look for in their Vice-President is a different question. ;)

TheExecuter - The voting machine steam rollers on, the RNC thanks you for your loyal work. :D

Lord Strange - New Republican campaign slogan "Landon : Because you're worth it"?

Hawkeye1489 - Another new state turns red.

Faeelin - Continued electoral trench warfare in Ohio, it's one of the most contested states at the moment.

Anazagar - Mormons must respect his Progressive policies and belief in personal liberty.
ja.gif

Pwn*Star - Straight out of left field, however I believe Alaska wasn't a state till 1959. So I don't think they get any say in the Presidential election, though I'm open to being corrected. I'll count your vote anyway, just not credited to any state.

Over 160 votes ( :eek: ) so onto the poll of polls!

Latest Opinion Poll
Hull-Barkley (Democrats) - 43% (-2%)
Landon-Vandenberg (Republican) - 47% (+2%)
Garner-White (State's Rights) - 10% (N/C)

After a few quiet weeks the Landon campaign seems re-energised, the candidate emerging from his lethargic shell and putting the long hours in on the stump and the campaign trail. The benefit to his campaign is obvious, while a 4% lead is still well inside the margins of error of the pollsters it is the largest lead either candidate has had for many weeks.

Garner has managed to keep his nose above the 10% threshold but many privately believe he is at best playing for the Vice Presidency, more likely a senior cabinet role in the winner's administration. However after the twists of this election so far it is a brave man who will put his reputation on the line by saying such publicly.

---

And for those who remember this started life as an AAR, update this afternoon. I've split up the naval update so A. It's not a monster and B. To get something out before Christmas.

Reactions:
No, at this time, the Hawaii Territory and the Alaska Territory had no say in the Electoral College or the Presidential Elections. Only States that have been fully admitted to the Union by Congress are given such rights. This is why the people of Guam, Puerto Rico, the American Virgin Islands and Samoa are not allowed to vote for President. And today's vote is a rest from campaigning in the South and voting in the Garden State of New Jersey! Yay! an update! Can't wait!

~Hawk

EDIT: Make that a Republican Vote in Jersey lol...

Last edited:
Reactions:
vote Garner/White
Wyoming

finally caught up. re/read from the beginning, radically different now to when you started pippy but still excellent.

not better, not worse, just different.

later, caff

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just to help Garner /White making the election more interesting
Vote Garner in Missouri

• 1Like
Reactions:
Strong push from the Garner folks...but Pippy, I've been toying around with that map site, and if John Nance Garner should take a state in the Electoral College, the map for 1924 has three parties represented...Senator Robert La Follette of Wisconsin carried his home state for the Progressive Party.

~Hawk

Reactions: