• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sir Humphrey - I think US Navy Admirals start sobbing if they even think about War Plan Red, it wouldn't be pretty.

It's not all bad for the other services though, many in the Army are brushing up on War Plan Green for instance....

Nathan Madien - That was my reading of the likely reaction, disinterest in the matter.

As to the election, Landon/Knox were the favourites for the Republican nomination before Smith was shot. That would have led to the strange situation where the Republican candidate was pushing for a 'progressive agenda' while Smith was proposing more of his 'fiscal conservative' low spending, low tax solution. Which I believe is considered unusual, thus I found almost irresistibly entertaining.

That said now Smith is dead, and suitably mourned, I doubt the Democrats will miss the gold plated chance to re-invent themselves with a new candidate. Which may well finally force Garner out of the party. Whether all that prompts the Republicans into a shake up is a different question.

scubadoobie2 - I'm afraid for the Soviet Officers that Paranoia rarely pays any attention to the facts, unless said facts support the conspiracy theory. :(

On the other point, I reckon large chunks of the US would have happily flogged arms, oil, etc to whoever. If your not bothered either way who wins, and I doubt most Americans were, then why not make a few bucks from it? The British didn't want or need to buy and the Abyssinians had no money or coastline so Italy it was.

Chief Ragusa - As you say Japan would be badly affected, the Soviets less so. So any intervention would support the Soviets, is that something a US president would want to do? In the 1930s you'd find people arguing both sides of that one.

It would thus be a toss up between the strategic advantage of a weakened Japan versus supporting Communism. Depending on who is in the White House that is either a very simple choice or a very hard one.

As to if the President has to act, remember how much flexibility FDR had on 'interpreting' the Act, the Sino-Japanese war wasn't officially a war for quite some time, not in US legal terms anyway. This timelines Acts are political gestures not practical laws, even revised there will be loopholes a President can use to do a great deal, if they are determined enough.

Vann the Red - It's boring internationally, domestically there's a good few things going on. I decided to stick them in the US Primary update, a sort of pre-election state of the nation.

Nathan Madien - A true point, though there are several things for Americans to get excited about on the home front rest assured.

TheHyphenated1 - An assassinated President, a far larger dust bowl, a deep Depression, Prohibition still in force. If America is indeed sleeping I don't think it's a peaceful sleep. :eek:

While on the subject of the US I'm currently mulling over nicking an idea from Atlantic Friend's excellent Crossfires and throwing open the US election to a reader's vote, after the US Primary update when the candidates have been picked obviously. Any interest?

Reactions:
El Pip said:
Sir Humphrey - I think US Navy Admirals start sobbing if they even think about War Plan Red, it wouldn't be pretty.

As is well and proper methinks. After all, Britannia rules the waves.
ja.gif

El Pip said:
While on the subject of the US I'm currently mulling over nicking an idea from Atlantic Friend's excellent Crossfires and throwing open the US election to a reader's vote, after the US Primary update when the candidates have been picked obviously. Any interest?

*raises hand*

• 1Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
Fourth! :D

And fair enough about the lack of peacefulness to America's sleep.

By the way, El Pip, I'm still looking forward to you catching up on Weltkriegschaft. Goodness knows I need all the navyphiles I can get :p .

Reactions:
Voting for president?

Excellent!

Reactions:
I think US Navy Admirals start sobbing if they even think about War Plan Red, it wouldn't be pretty.
Bunch of pussies.
jaug3.gif

• 1Like
Reactions:
That would actually make for a smashing AAR. War Plan Red. Anyone up for writing it? Or has it already been done?

• 1Like
Reactions:
TheHyphenated1 said:
That would actually make for a smashing AAR. War Plan Red. Anyone up for writing it? Or has it already been done?

I reserve that as my first HOI3 AAR once Against all Odds is done. (At this raet though by that time HOI4 will be out. :D )

• 1Like
Reactions:
El Pip said:

Hell, yes, count me in ! Any idea beginning by "officially nicked from Atlantic Friend's excellent Crossfires" has got to get my vote at least. :D

Plus, I'm now a confirmed pro at electioneering.

Reactions:
Well, would be a good excuse to get back to writing the Sacred Grove. Afterall, after the Germans, who else is there to fight? Tricky Dick vs. SuperMac, tagline: "It ain't cricket, it's nuclear combat toe to toe with the limey's."

• 1Like
Reactions:
Duritz, Nathan Madien, Arilou, and those mentioned later - I have an electorate, woot! Right finish off the round the world review, just North and Latin America to do, then I'll do the US Primary update, no harm in bringing it forward.

TheHyphenated1, Sir Humphrey, trekaddict - I don't mind which one of you does it, but War Plan Red sounds an excellent AAR, obviously I'm committed to this AAR till sometime late in the 21st Century so I can't do it, but rest assured I'll follow it. :D Even more so if Sir Humphs tagline is used! ;)

Atlantic Friend - Blatant bribery always works.
ja_zps42369c2d.gif

Carlstadt Boy - Sadly I reckon not, I think any Imperial Federation has to be in place pre-Great War, ideally substantially before the war for best results, or it's too late. By the 1930s the main Dominions pretty much have self-rule and are not going to give up any of it, meanwhile the colonies and protectorates all have half an eye on the trail the Dominions have blazed. It's a "when not if" question on independence for much of the Empire at this stage.

That said I am aiming for a stronger Commonwealth, something like a EEC/NATO hybrid. Independent nations but economic co-operation (full on Imperial preference with bits on), free movement of people, joint defence planning and procurement, that sort of thing. It seems plausible to me but I'm sure others (Durry :p ) will have a view.

Onto the good news, update hopefully tonight if I can sort some pictures.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Chapter LIX: Fallout and Aftershocks Part X - Canada and Newfoundland.
Chapter LIX: Fallout and Aftershocks Part X - Canada and Newfoundland.

Turning to the north we consider Canada, another country grappling with domestic questions that trumped all foreign policy concerns. Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King had returned to office for his fourth term in October 1935 and had inherited a country recovering from dire economic straits; Canada had been hit harder than any nation in the world, bar the United States. While the economy had bottomed out in 1932, helped by the large scale government investment and welfare programmes, this had merely stopped things getting worse rather than improving the situation. It was therefore unfortunate that the then Conservative Prime Minister, Richard Bedford Bennett, chose that point to worry about the growing deficit and decided to 'balance the books' by slashing government spending. While Bennett tacitly admitted his mistake three years later, by restoring and extending the original programmes, by then it was too late and he had sealed his party's electoral fate.

Z9iL4cL.jpg

Former Canadian Prime Minister Richard Bedford Bennett. Elected due to the failure of Mackenzie King's Liberals to accept that the Great Depression was not a temporary aberration, Bennett led Canada through the depths of the Depression. Though primarily remembered for his anti-communism, his hard line policy earning himself the nickname 'Iron Heel Bennett', his export orientated economic policies would provided Canada's route out of the Depression. Sadly for Bennett the boost in exports would not filter through to the wider economy in time to stave off defeat in the 1935 general election.

For all the mistakes of Bennett his policies of the early 1930s were just beginning to filter through by the time of King's election, though no doubt they would have worked far faster had Bennett stuck to his guns and not lost his nerve. The Canadian recovery, slow and tentative though it was, had it's base in the recovery of exports, particularly the vital food and raw materials that had been a corner stone of the Canadian economy. This success though raised the first serious headache for King; Imperial Preference. While Bennett's Conservatives had naturally favoured it King's Liberals were supportive of free trade, or at the very least equal tariffs, and thus ideologically receptive to the constant US requests that Canada 're-consider' it's Empire Free Trade policy. The problem came that the exports that were lifting the economy out of the Depression were not to the ravaged and impoverished United States but to the British Empire. While 'free trade' would undoubtedly benefit the US, that was why they were so heavily pushing it, it was widely believed that it was only Imperial Preference that had saved Canada, along with Australia and the other Dominions, from suffering a balance of payments crisis and defaulting on her debts. Making the leap from the British policy that had arguably saved Canada's economy into the unsteady arms of United States was at best risky, at worst catastrophically foolish. There was also the political dimension, it was widely felt, with considerable justification, that Canada had only suffered so badly in the Depression because she was so close to the US. Logically therefore a policy that would tie Canada even closer to the country perceived as the source of the problem was widely opposed, particularly if that meant loosening ties with Britain, relations with which were riding high on a post-war jingoistic wave.

Thus practicality and politics convinced King that he should not waste his political capital on an unpopular and counter-productive policy, particularly when he believed there were more pressing social issues. Thus he poured his effort into new social and economic assistance programmes, populist programmes such as the National Housing Act and the National Economic Commission, schemes to provide social housing and small scale loans respectively. In one of fate's many ironies these schemes were similar to ones that King had refused to implement when the Depression started at the end of his previous term, refusals that, when combined with his indifference to the crisis and insistence that it would soon pass, probably cost him the 1930 election. While King would never be enthusiastic for Imperial Preference, both through ambivalence to the Empire and ideological belief, his decision to put practical benefit before ideology would see Canada build stronger links with the rest of the Empire, replacing the American links lost during the Depression. These links remain a key pillar of the Canadian economy to this day, testament to their strength and importance.

At the end of the concerns was the Canadian military, this is not an oversight rather a comment on the sad state of the armed forces. Having experienced the same 'drawing down' after the Great War as many other nations the Canadian military suffered another, particularly vicious, round of cuts in 1932 as Bennett's government gutted the defence budget. Thus it was that when Italy declared war on Britain the Canadian government had little to offer, the Royal Canadian Air Force could not offer an expeditionary group as the RAAF had, while the total Royal Canadian Navy was smaller than the average Royal Navy destroyer flotilla. However it was the Army, or more technically the Permanent and Non-Permanent Active Militias, that were in the most dire condition. The Permanent Active Militia, the equivalent of the regular army, could barely muster a division while the reservist Non-Permanent force was badly trained and under-equipped. Stung by a complete inability to contribute to the war effort, and perhaps somewhat jealous of the influence Australia had gained through the RAAF's endeavours over North Africa, King would implement a modernisation and expansion plan for all three services. The plan would be integrated with the social and economic assistance schemes, for the success of the more military-industrial Keynes Plan in Britain had not gone un-noticed and King hoped to duplicate the success for the economic and social benefits as much as for defence. Given the growing troubles in the world during the rest of the decade and beyond the re-armament programme would be invaluable to both Canada and the rest of the Empire.

Before we leave the region and move on to Latin America it is well worth studying the Dominion of Newfoundland, a nation worthy of attention if only due to is status as one of the few countries to ever voluntarily give up self-rule. A combination of the ravages of the depression and rampant endemic corruption had left the country bankrupt and her people angry and rebellious. Despite numerous arrests and investigations the Prime Minister, Sir Richard Squires, was only finally forced from officer after a 10,000 strong mob marched on Colonial House, the seat of government, and forced him to flee. To give perspective on that figure the population of the Dominion was less than 250,000, thus the mob consisted of almost 5% of the entire population of the country. While an election was held shortly afterwards, in late 1932, it was a formality, Squires and the Liberals were utterly routed and the United Newfoundland Party romped to a crushing victory. His successor, Frederick Alderdice, owed his success purely to the unpopularity of Squires, and had campaigned on a pledge of suspending the constitution and appealing to Britain for assistance until the Depression passed. The British response, in consultation with Canada, was the Newfoundland Royal Commission which was given the task of proposing a long term solution to the problems of the Dominion. The recommendations were published in late 1933 and were simple but uncompromising; the suspension of self-government until 'Newfoundland could once again become self-sustaining'. This was supported by a catalogue of evidence about the intrinsically corrupt political culture and the bleak economic prospects for the country without massive investment, which the indebted Newfoundland government could not begin to afford. Accepting the report in full Alderdice's government put the recommendations before Parliament, which duly voted itself out of existence in December 1933 in favour of a 'Commission of Government' led by a British Governor.

e7hn7Ug.jpg

The vast Dominion Steel and Coal Corporation iron ore loading docks at Bell Island. The health of the Newfoundland economy could reliably be judged by how busy the DSCC owned ports were, such was the importance of the corporation and it's mines to the economy of the country. The Depression had seen world wide demand for iron and steel slump dramatically, ship movements had plunged by almost two thirds as low demand and high international trade tariffs throttled the once vibrant iron ore trade.

The Commission was split equally between British and Newfoundland members, the deciding vote being held by the Governor who chaired the Commission. It is difficult to judge the success of the Commission, if only because the size of the country meant even the relatively small grants from London went a very long way. Given the funds available it is likely almost any government could have achieved at least some improvement, though it must be said had such funds been channelled through Squires and his cronies rather than the Commission it is unlikely much would have reached ordinary Newfoundlanders. The investment was split between the local industries, mainly fishing and lumber, which were thoroughly modernised and social improvements, such as transport links and better health coverage for the rural areas. The real credit though went to the Abyssinian War and the ongoing industrial resurgence in Britain, two events that were welcomed in the province for reviving the fortunes of the many iron ore mines in the country, in particular the vast DOSCO (Dominion Steel and Coal Corporation) complex of mines on Bell Island. As British demand for steel began to return to pre-Depression levels her iron works demanded more ore, a demand Newfoundland was only too happy to meet, restoring one of the vital pillars of her economy. Of the three North American nations it was Newfoundland that ended the summer in the best shape, due in considerable part to it's constantly improving trade with Britain, a fact that was noticed by many in Canada. While welcomed by many who believed Canada could only benefit from strong neighbours and trading partners there were those who were distinctly annoyed and uneasy. The fact it had taken British intervention to revitalise Newfoundland was resented by the Quebecois, purely because many of that prejudiced minority disliked anything British, but more importantly it was feared by many Republican minded politicians, people who hated seeing progress or success associated with anything but moving away from the Empire, not towards it. As the Canadian economy turned away from America and back towards the British Empire those tensions and fears would only grow.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
El Pip said:
Carlstadt Boy - Sadly I reckon not, I think any Imperial Federation has to be in place pre-Great War, ideally substantially before the war for best results, or it's too late..

I know that feeling, and truth to be told I wish I had set the beginnings of the Empire Plan to before the great War instead of the mid 1930s. Sadly enough, when I started this AAR it was 'just' another UK AAR, and the idea with the Empire Plan sort of invented itself well after I started it. Had I known before then I would have said "British Empire" instead of World War 2.

• 1Like
Reactions:
trekaddict said:
I know that feeling, and truth to be told I wish I had set the beginnings of the Empire Plan to before the great War instead of the mid 1930s. Sadly enough, when I started this AAR it was 'just' another UK AAR, and the idea with the Empire Plan sort of invented itself well after I started it. Had I known before then I would have said "British Empire" instead of World War 2.

What exactly is this Empire Plan in your AAR? Excuse me for not finding it myself (I havent started reading your AAR, due to its size and my lack of time, and its to big to find it quickly (but I plan to do that in the future, I usually read all british AARs - yours had already been to big for me when I noticed it)).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Carlstadt Boy said:
What exactly is this Empire Plan in your AAR? Excuse me for not finding it myself (I havent started reading your AAR, due to its size and my lack of time, and its to big to find it quickly (but I plan to do that in the future, I usually read all british AARs - yours had already been to big for me when I noticed it)).

As it wasn't planned when I started the AAR I must tell you knwo that you will have to take it with a grain of salt.

Anyway, in the mid 30s influential people realize that the Empire is crumbling away and in desperate need of reform. They catch the ear of people around Churchill and when he becomes PM after Chamberlain is sacked it is made official policy with the blessing and backing of the King. The idea behind is to create an Imperial Federation with unified politics, universal suffrage and the likes, and semi-united militaries, i.e. sperate Armies but united Air and Naval Forces, with the exception of India. It was to be implemented over the next ten to fifteen years from the start in 1938, but the war got in the way for now. Until the war is over Imperial Subjects of the Crown serve in the regular British Armed Forces. ( This I did to explain the ridicolously large Armies and Fleets I have to build. )

Reactions:
Carlstadt Boy said:
Well, anything that leads to stronger Britain is great in my opinion.

Indeed. If only you could see the map that shows the situation at the end of the war..... :p

• 1Like
Reactions: