• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter XXXV: The Candle That Burns Twice As Bright.
Chapter XXXV: The Candle That Burns Twice As Bright.

Of the events of the 24th of March the most commonly known is the death of King George V, the well loved and respected monarch passing away in the early hours. While far from unexpected, the King had been unwell for months and had been deteriorating rapidly, the news still came as a shock to both the country and the government. While generally credited as being the first step towards the crisis that would engulf the country there was another, earlier, claimant on that title that had climaxed in the hours before the King's sad demise.

Churchill's appointment as Prime Minister, and subsequent gutting of the cabinet, had left a generation of MPs jobless and with very poor future prospects. Too old and experienced for junior ministerships and not considered for cabinet roles due to being "tainted" by appeasement these malcontents rapidly coalesced around the equally disgruntled Stanley Baldwin. While the emphasis on new blood, or those with strong anti-appeasement credentials, played well with the general public Churchill had ignored the effect it had on his own party. Believing that the anti-war, but controllable, Lord Halifax was enough of a sop to pacifist opinion, and distracted by more pressing international events, there had been little attempt to smooth ruffled feathers or tend to battered egos.

oBh7lTE.jpg

Lord Halifax, as the most senior Conservative left in the cabinet from before the election, was a key man in the crisis. His support was sought by both sides due to the number of MPs who shared his views and would be swayed by his endorsement.

The gratitude among the discarded members that they had kept their seats and were still in government soon evaporated leaving behind resentment at what they perceived as their poor treatment. While none would claim their expulsion from office had been a surprise there had been an expectation they would be 'rehabilitated', after a suitable period on the backbenches, and gently eased back into government. Baldwin in particular had believed he would retain at least some of his influence, possibly even reprising his role as Lord President of the Council, lowering his profile but keeping him close to the centre of power. To be left out in the cold without the promise of future rehabilitation and redemption turned many senior MPs in the party against Churchill. This oversight was undoubtedly a serious mistake, one of the three that allowed the crisis to foment.

What the group circling the new cabinet had lacked was an issue, some event he had mishandled that could serve as a rallying call to unite his various opponents against him. The concern in the country surrounding Mrs Simpson, while far from the most serious issue facing the country, was however almost perfect from Baldwin's point of view. The core issues were simple and easy to communicate, public opinion was solidly against her and crucially Churchill had not provided strong leadership on the issue, rarely involving himself beyond the bare minimum. Having spent years ploughing a lonely and unpopular furrow on re-armament there is little doubt Churchill had forgotten the vital importance of public opinion to a government, the issue was concerning the general populace and as Prime Minister he needed to be seen to be doing something about it. Instead the focus of the government remained on the foreign policy concerns; The ongoing war with Italy, the Spanish Question and the alarming rumblings coming from Greece. This attention to 'big picture' matters over domestic may well have been the best long term choice of action but was not a good survival tactic in Westminster politics and was the second big mistake in the run up to the crisis.

Of Churchill's mistakes it is his third, his genuine believe that politics would be put aside and that his rivals would bide their time until the war was over, that is most curious. Naivety had not been a feature of his character when out of office, yet how else to describe placing such trust in ruthless political operators such as Stanley Baldwin. The answer is probably that Churchill could not conceive of anyone coolly and deliberately putting their own self interest before that of the country. Whatever the reason the cumulative errors came together in the days following King George V's death and his state funeral.

beVsBTt.jpg

Samuel Hoare, appeaser, opportunist and one of Stanley Baldwin's key lieutenants during the political manoeuvring.

Westminster legend has it that the vote of confidence in Churchill was called before the last royal mourner had left St George's chapel. Certainly the gap was the bare minimum protocol and respect allowed, Baldwin having convinced the necessary 15% of MPs to petition Sir Hugh O'Neill and the 1922 Committee to call a vote of confidence in Churchill's leadership of the party. While the letters almost uniformly expressed concern about Churchill's lack of leadership over the new King's choice of consort, and there were many for whom that was the main issue, there is little doubt the 'Mrs Simpson Crisis' was also a general banner for all those dissatisfied with Churchill. Silently backing the malcontents were many senior figures ranging from those discarded for appeasement like Samuel Hoare through Lord Halifax's pacifists worried about the war to the group clustered around Neville Chamberlain angry at the fiscal irresponsibility of re-armament and upsetting the European balance of power.

Churchill's reaction to the rumours and reports from the chief whip was statesman like, if politically foolish. Instead of stalking the corridors of Westminster, offering preference to supporters and threatening the outer darkness to those who voted against him he ignored the contest and continued working towards a suitable peace deal with Italy and working out what to do with Spain. When pressed by concerned colleagues to take the contest seriously he is reputed to have replied "My honourable colleagues will judge me on my actions, not whether I speak to them in a corridor, and on that count I have no doubts to their verdict."

If the party did judge him on his actions, then they must not have liked them for on the afternoon of the 2nd of April Sir Hugh O'Neill announced that Winston Churchill had lost the vote of confidence and was no longer leader of the Conservative Party.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
El Pip said:
Blatantly cheating placeholder. *Hopes no-one notices*

NOTICED!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
El Pip said:
Blatantly cheating placeholder. *Hopes no-one notices*

*drags brush away from placeholder*

*spray-paints placeholder bright orange*

*lights flares in circle around placeholder*

*titles placeholder "Maria Sharapova NAKED!!!!" and posts links on Digg and Slashdot*

• 1Haha
Reactions:
El Pip latches onto a wonderful ball capable of creating a splended update. Splits the defence, masterfully strides forward, and jukes one hapless defender so hard that the defender is left in Pip's wake futiley looking for his shorts. Pip cuts towards the goal, sending a second defender sliding helplessly by, his arms reaching out in desperation to grab at the dust propelled by Pip's cleats. One defender to beat. Pip pedallas and steps to the right. The defender, awed by the demonstration of skill, backs up and turns to the left to at least block off part of the goal. Suddenly, Pip keels over as though he had been hacked down right at the top of the box. The defender, his face aghast, looks inquiringly at the referee's visage as if to inquire if a great injustice will be consented to. The ref looks back dispassionately and blows his whistle.

Pip writhes in agony on the pitch, his chance for a top of the heap update now lost, UNLESS...the referee obliges him with a chance at an <censor's edit> unjust penalty.

The ref strides forward purposefully, both hands busilly engaged in pulling out his card book. His hand reaches up and displays a YELLOW CARD! However, he is not facing at the defender, but at El Pip! The ref gives Pip a yellow for a shameless placeholder dive and signals a indirect free kick to the defense. And the game continued on...

• 1Like
Reactions:
It seems the placeholder has annoyed people. Ah well. In my defence I present the update and I think it's a good one which will erase all memory of annoyance.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sweet, sweet, sweet.

Reactions:
El Pip said:
It seems the placeholder has annoyed people. Ah well. In my defence I present the update and I think it's a good one which will erase all memory of annoyance.

Nah...'twas just a good hearted yellow card! Inspired me to write something, too! So it's not all bad...

I must confess I'm confusing your AAR with Draco Rexus's but my hopes are that Churchill will rise again.

TheExecuter

• 1Like
Reactions:
No Churchill? Awwwwww..... :(

Reactions:
Great update El Pip.

Churchill out already? My the conservatives are a bunch of dirty schemers. Surely waiting until after the war with Italy has finished would have been a better time to depose him. I can't see Winston crossing the floor again so I hope the conservatives come crawling along the floor for him to return, as well know who we want running the country.

Oh any chance of more naval updates? there is still some of the Regia Marina left that isn't littering the bottom of the Med.

Haarken :)

Reactions:
But he's still the PM isn't he? Maybe the war on Italy allows him to keep the favor with the people, while his conservative opponent fall from grace.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wow, Pippy! I didn't (and in my defense, neither did Winnie) see that one coming. Will Baldwin get his job back or will another of that circle land the top job? End of the page is coming quickly, so we'll expect your next installment atop the next page. Feel free to use another placeholder... ;-)

Ruddy

• 1Like
Reactions:
Bah, down with the reactionaries! Up with Labour!

• 2Like
Reactions:
All right - now it's clearly Webley time!

Marvellous update - just shows how scheming and devious crusty old politicians can be, eh? (Winston wasn't really a politician, was he? ;) ).

Actually I have to agree with C&D above; if the Conservative Party want to withdraw the whip from the Prime Minister, that does not mean that he must resign his office. In reality during WW2 there was a government of national unity which persisted until 1945 - I suspect a similar event is racing over the horizon towards us!

...I can't wait to see all those keen-as-mustard Labour young guns getting cabinet positions early... :cool:

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sir Humphrey - A short but swee.... good comment. :)

TheExecuter - Being confused with an AAR as popular and award-studded as Draco's is no bad thing. :) Although given the complete difference in styles I'm not quite sure how you manage it. :confused: :D Now get going on the Last Mission again, the mere idea of a HOI2 love story is so unusual it can't be allowed to just stop.

Fulcrumvale - He's not gone yet.

Haarken - Stanley Baldwin certainly was a dirty schemer and thus knew the first rule of backstabbing; Do it when they're distracted. And distractions don't get much bigger than wars. ;)

Naval updates... Well something of that ilk is coming and it will involve Italians. That's all I'm saying. :)

C&D - He is indeed still the King's Prime Minister. Whether that position is still tenable is another question. Domestically others in the Conservative party have been gaining the plaudits over the economy, which is more important to the public?

Vann the Red - Excellent, blind siding readers was what I was aiming for. I also had at the back of my mind that Churchill as saviour was a bit of a cliché in AAR land so wanted to do something different with him. I believe thus far I've achieved it. As for Baldwin, well look at other Tory 'king killers' for a clue.

Arilou - No. :p

RAFspeak - Winston didn't like domestic politics certainly. Foreign affairs and defence yes, but not more mundane matters. On the other matter Britain already has a National Government, Conservatives and National Liberals, all the main non-fringe parties. :D

Reactions:
El Pip said:
TheExecuter - Being confused with an AAR as popular and award-studded as Draco's is no bad thing. :) Although given the complete difference in styles I'm not quite sure how you manage it. :confused: :D Now get going on the Last Mission again, the mere idea of a HOI2 love story is so unusual it can't be allowed to just stop.

Well, you both have an aggressive GB...and I've been reading them concurrently for months...so, sometimes I mind-meld some of the details (like the naval battles with the Italians, for instance!).

As to the Last Mission...two new updates have been posted in the last week. I was battling severe writer's block for a month or so as I know what will befall Ian...and can't quite bring myself to write about it! :eek: Is this normal? Never fear, I seem to be pushing through now and I hope to continue adding updates on an approximately weekly basis. At this rate, I may introduce the heroine sometime in 2008!

TheExecuter

Reactions:
TheExecuter said:
Well, you both have an aggressive GB...and I've been reading them concurrently for months...so, sometimes I mind-meld some of the details (like the naval battles with the Italians, for instance!).
Fair enough, hopefully you combine the best bits into one super-AAR that only exists in your head. That would be wonderful. :in-awe:
TheExecuter said:
As to the Last Mission...two new updates have been posted in the last week. I was battling severe writer's block for a month or so as I know what will befall Ian...and can't quite bring myself to write about it! :eek: Is this normal? Never fear, I seem to be pushing through now and I hope to continue adding updates on an approximately weekly basis. At this rate, I may introduce the heroine sometime in 2008!
Oh I noticed the updates but I was exploiting my last update to claim the "I've updated most recently" moral high ground. It doesn't happen often so I tend to milk it. :D

The writers block I can recognise, I know the plot for quite a way in advance I just can't work out how to get it down in an update. Like you I hope this one has broken the block and will unleash a torrent of updates. Or not. ;)

Reactions:
wow that was a sneaky update there - i wonder if britain will go back to appeasement? perhaps under halifax as leader??

i'm sure churchill isn't gone from this aar - he will rise again i'm sure, perhaps as a defence minister??

anyways this is just pure class el pip, if i had lots of money i'd consider giving you a chunk for the rights to this!!!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Congratulations on your ACA win , ole chap ! Come on over to the thread and say a few words to your well earned victory !

• 1Like
Reactions: