+ Reply to Thread
Page 193 of 228 FirstFirst ... 93 118 143 168 183 191 192 193 194 195 203 218 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,860 of 4544

Thread: The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR

not a beta for HoI3 Moderator Derek Pullem's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Hoi 2 Beta500k club

Quote Originally Posted by El Pip View Post
    Nathan Madien - I have to disagree - watching battleships blowing things up is also very wholesome.
    I've always imagined the very definition of "wholesome" to be the scene during the Dunkirk evacuations (I think it was at Boulogne) where a destroyer moored alongside one of the quays was using her 4.5" guns in direct fire against the advancing Panzers! Always seemed a tad overkill but very satisfying.
    "I NOW INFORM YOU THAT YOU ARE TOO FAR FROM REALITY."

Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, (ex-) Iraqi Minister for Information

HoI AnthologyCities in MotionEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3For the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

That was kind of the impression I got, though I think your a little harsh on the Basque. If that Catalans had carved out a sizeable and isolated territory I think they would have behaved in a similar way and focused more on the long term prospects of a Catalan state.
    I concede the point Good Sir. I reported it as it happened without considering the circumstances.

That is how I see it, fun as the Baltic contributions are they're not going to go a long way in the grand scheme of things. For some reason I keep thinking Mexico might support the Catalans as opposed to the main government, but I've no idea why.
    I had that same thought but as I couldn't reason it out I didn't mention it. I could justify the Mexicans selling to the Catalans, I could even accept them taking scant payment in return but I just couldn't formulate a way for Mexican flagships to reach Barcelona without becoming British target ships!

Dury.
    The price of a memory is the memory of the sorrow it brings - Duritz

We have a great objective - the light on the hill - which we aim to reach by working for the betterment of mankind not only here but anywhere we may give a helping hand. If it were not for that, the Labour movement would not be worth fighting for. - Ben Chifley

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth, more than ruin, more even than death... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. - Bertrand Russell

Lord of Slower-than-real-time El Pip's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiSword of the Stars

C&D - Frankly the Anarchy of Paddington sounds a terrible place to live. No thoughts of blowing things up AND only being allowed to drink tea at 5 o'clock?

Derek Pullem - Very satisfying indeed.

Duritz - It's a tricky one isn't it? What is needed is a fake customer in the Mediterranean who the Mexicans can ship to and then re-export to Barcelona. Hmmm, that gives me an idea, I think one of my earlier plot detours may finally have a use!
    The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR - "An an insane project of terrifying detail". The finest slower-than-real-time AAR on the board. Updated 11th September Through adversity, to the sea(plane).

Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44 - The award winning characters Tiso and Tuka attempt to save Slovakia from defeat and destruction. Winner of Two AARland Choice Comedy Awards - Round 4 2011 and Q2 2014. Critical Realisitic Security Advice! News! Hangovers! Just another day in Bratislava for T&T. Updated 14th September.

Furious Vengeance - A 1944 UK AAR - My actual best work - Winner of the 2009 Iron HeAARt Award

The other works

not a beta for HoI3 Moderator Derek Pullem's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Hoi 2 Beta500k club

Derek Pullem - Very satisfying indeed.
    FYI

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/s...a4439009.shtml
    "I NOW INFORM YOU THAT YOU ARE TOO FAR FROM REALITY."

Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, (ex-) Iraqi Minister for Information

Pantomacatalasecesionanis ta

Blog Entries
    Now we mention anarchism... In my family, a distant cousin of mine became, in his early 18s, a convinced anarchist. He has married his eternal girlfried because he "doesn't bother about conventions and other lies of the burgeoise society" or some rubbish like that. He's against the system that "enslaves" us and, to give us a pratical example of that, he works as a civil servant of the Generalitat

Pip, I hope that your anarchists have less shit on their brains than my examplary cousin (in fact, he has no brains, only brown matter).
    "Pequeño Padawan Kurtizacoal, por qué me has salido tan cabrón?" - me dijo mi Maestro.
    Palo Dixit: posible Anticristo, vacalentacialanonanista, Culé y Salido que provoca manifas por donde pasa.
    Palo Dixit redux: Escatológico bipolar

AARs en curso o acabados -Ongoing and finished HoI2 AARs-
    WritAAR of the Week:16-03-07/5-04-09/13-09-09/19-09-10/28-10-11 - Fan of the week 25-03-07/29-10-07/06-04-08/29-12-08/13-09-09 - Canonized 02-12-07 - Best Character WritAAR of the Week:03-04-09- Showcased 01-05-2010/10-12-2010 - Mi blog: Confesiones clandestinas: Crisis [Actualizado 25/10/2014]

C&D - Frankly the Anarchy of Paddington sounds a terrible place to live. No thoughts of blowing things up AND only being allowed to drink tea at 5 o'clock?
    Three o'clock sir!

And who says you can't blow things up? You just have to think outside the box like Derek Pullem pointed out about the Dunkirk evacuation. And then there's always aircraft with their bombs. Sure, you may be a little restricted in terms of land vehicles, but no place is perfect.

HoI AnthologyCities in MotionEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3For the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2

Duritz - It's a tricky one isn't it? What is needed is a fake customer in the Mediterranean who the Mexicans can ship to and then re-export to Barcelona. Hmmm, that gives me an idea, I think one of my earlier plot detours may finally have a use!
    You have me intrigued. Still, the Mexicans don't have much to sell other than foodstuffs, obsolete rifles and a bit of oil. It won't exactly get the Calalunyan economy humming?

I await developments... and tanks, eagerly!

Dury.

We have a great objective - the light on the hill - which we aim to reach by working for the betterment of mankind not only here but anywhere we may give a helping hand. If it were not for that, the Labour movement would not be worth fighting for. - Ben Chifley

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth, more than ruin, more even than death... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by C&D View Post
    Yes! The internet has made me famous, I'm a number 1 now! I am Oprah, I am Oprah!

That brings me one step closer to realizing my dream of founding a nation based on teddy bears, tea, and the complete absence of the rule of law. And now that we are not even close towards realizing that goal, I think it is time to establish some rules in the Anarchy of Paddington. First, I am to become president for life. Second, no man is to have unwholesome thoughts about tanks blowing stuff up. Third, a teddy bear is your friend. Moreso, the teddy bear is your lover, partner and confidante. Fourth, tea is to be drank at three o'clock. At four shalt thou not drink tea, nor shalt thou drink tea and two o'clock, and the time thou shalt drink tea shall be three o'clock. Five o'clock is right out.
    Great Scott! We have found the next President of Egypt!
    "In America, anybody can be President. That's one of the risks you take."
    -Adlai Stevenson

The Presidents: The Vietnam War Edition
    President of the United States in 1962: Henry M. Jackson (Democrat-Washington)

I thought the Egyptians had camels, not teddy bears.

And thanks for the welcome Pip. I have been following this AAR for a LONG time in the weekly email form. It makes a good weekly read.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAB View Post
    I thought the Egyptians had camels, not teddy bears.
    As President, C&D can change that.
    -Adlai Stevenson

Kurt_Steiner - But only by working for the government can you cousin bring them down from the inside! (Probably)

I know my anarchists wont be like that, but only because there wont be any government. There will be a people's worker's democratic council of the anarchist co-operative commune of free Catalunya! Yes that may look a lot like a government, but it isn't. Because they say it isn't mainly, but that's not the point.

C&D - The explosion limits I could accept, but tea only once a day? What kind of heathen are you? No man can start the day without the elixir of life, but it is equally vital to have tea to survive the long gap between lunch and the end of the day. No sir, I will resist the Anarchy of Paddington to the last tea leaf in my cup!

Duritz - The Mexican trade may not make the Anarchists a power house it's true, but anything that keeps them in the fight is an advantage over OTL. Even food, old rifles and ammo is enough to stop them having to 'merge' with the Republicans to survive.

For the long term there is always the Basque strategy - dig in around your homelands and let the Republicans do all the offensive fighting. If it works it's a marvellous plan. If.

Nathan Madien - He seems over-qualified, what are his views on Swiss Bank Accounts and embezzlement?

RobbieAB - I doubt I'd have kept going all that LONG time (or raced past the 300,000 view mark ) without a few people poking over the parapet and commenting. And who wouldn't like being told they write something people enjoy reading?

Nathan Madien - Alas I've just discovered the Egyptians are very much into their tea, having thrown out one dictator why would they replace him with President C&D who would suppress their tea rights?

Sorry C&D. Try and find a country that only drinks coffee to setup the Anarchy of Paddington in.
    The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR - "An an insane project of terrifying detail". The finest slower-than-real-time AAR on the board. Updated 11th September Through adversity, to the sea(plane).

Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44 - The award winning characters Tiso and Tuka attempt to save Slovakia from defeat and destruction. Winner of Two AARland Choice Comedy Awards - Round 4 2011 and Q2 2014. Critical Realisitic Security Advice! News! Hangovers! Just another day in Bratislava for T&T. Updated 14th September.

Furious Vengeance - A 1944 UK AAR - My actual best work - Winner of the 2009 Iron HeAARt Award

The other works

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis IV

Well, I drink a cup or two of Coffee in the morning and usually a cup of Earl Grey in the afternoon. Does that count?
    "That's right, Adolf. The British are coming." - The Eleventh Doctor
    "My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
    Against all Odds: The British Empire in World War Two (ongoing) Last updated 09/22/14 Index - Index 2 - Index 3 - Knowledgebase -
    Inkwell Entry Visit the Dictionary!

Possibly the world's most British German as awarded by El Pip here.

Quote Originally Posted by trekaddict View Post
    Well, I drink a cup or two of Coffee in the morning and usually a cup of Earl Grey in the afternoon. Does that count?
    It's really up to you, do you volunteer to be the first member of the Anarchy of Paddington under President for life C&D? You meet the tea requirements certainly, but I confess I'm not sure about your views on treating teddy bears as "lover, partner and confidante", which seems a bit extreme to me but is one of C&D laws.

The other works

Europa Universalis IV

It's not one of mine. I for one would drink more Tea if I could, but early in the morning I can't be bothered to make it myself....
    "My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
    Against all Odds: The British Empire in World War Two (ongoing) Last updated 09/22/14 Index - Index 2 - Index 3 - Knowledgebase -

For the love of god, give me a H35 so I can blow these teddy bear fiddlers and tea drinking anarchists to hell!

An armour regiment on the road to Sevilla, surely my demand is not unreasonable!

Dury.

Quote Originally Posted by trekaddict View Post
    It's not one of mine. I for one would drink more Tea if I could, but early in the morning I can't be bothered to make it myself....
    I don't drink tea myself. Never really got into it.
    -Adlai Stevenson

Flt. Sergeant, Fighter Command RAFspeak's Avatar
    Darkest Hour

/hangs head in deepest shame

I... I prefer coffee to the Drink which Made the Empire Great!

/runs out of the room, sobbing uncontrollably

Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by RAFspeak View Post

You can always hook up with us furriners.

Quote Originally Posted by RAFspeak View Post

The Drink which Made the Empire Great! ...Tea? Piffle! Cocoa is the drink of the Royal Navy! And the Fleet is the Heart of the Empire!
    "Politics is warfare conducted by other means." Prince Yukihito.

My aars to date:

Stormy Seas With Only the Devil for Company....An AH US aar Abandoned Technical

Forging Destiny: Sunrise of a new world. On going...

Quote Originally Posted by KiMaSa View Post
    The Drink which Made the Empire Great! ...Tea? Piffle! Cocoa is the drink of the Royal Navy! And the Fleet is the Heart of the Empire!
    Or rum as the case may be ...
    A whale is a shark built to Admiralty specifications.

+ Reply to Thread