• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Davout - Appropriate indeed, alas there will be no Thomsons. There will however be gripping legislative action....

It's just not as exciting is it?

Dr. Gonzo - Fusion tickets you say? That's just induced a flashback to a local Mexican-Karachi fusion restaurant that served curried burrito and Massala-con-carne. It was a strange place.

Nathan Madien - Dewey still unnerves me, mainly as while I enjoy a 'breaks the law to catch the villain' type in fiction they worry the hell out of me in reality. Ends don't always justify the means. As such I approve of his shunning by history, his type should not be celebrated outside of fiction.

Duritz - Timing is indeed the key point and I would argue delay did not favour the Allies. Certainly it helped Britain re-arm but as pointed out the RAF re-armament was no deterrent while the naval situation was far better in 1935 (no Bismark, no decent U-boats, etc etc).

So the question is how does delay affect the France vs Germany match up on land, and I think time only improves the German position. Before the lessons of Spain are learnt and before the decent Pz III/IV and mid-model Me109s come out, that's the time to fight Germany.

Put simply Germany spent more and spent it better, time was on their side not the Allies. OK if war could be delayed till the mid 1940s and if the Soviets stopped supplying raw materials then maybe the rares crunch would have killed Germany's economy and done the job, but as Japan showed such a crunch would only force Germany into war. However that aside my contention is that delay only helped Germany and for that reason Chamberlain's entire approach was doomed to failure.

Nathan Madien - I'm not so sure about that, a great many people have thought a Cold War WW3 was inevitable or that the tension in the Korean peninsula make a Second Korean War inevitable.

Maybe it's just me but I dislike the idea of anything being inevitable, it seems to ignore too many historical events that were "inevitable" but didn't happen.

trekaddict - I'd definitely agree with pre-36 being the best time to act, not so sure on it being impossible to prevent after that date.

DonnieBaseball - The RN/RAF build up was probably all that was politically possible, but as you say it didn't affect the important balance of land power on the continent. It was very useful though and it shouldn't be overlooked, I was just wonder if it was the best possible use of resources.

There is also the very controversial question of whether Britain should have gone to war at all. To once again quote Sir H;
Sir Humphrey Appleton said:
All we achieved after six years of war was to leave Eastern Europe under a Communist Dictatorship instead of a Fascist Dictatorship, at the cost of the utter ruination of the country. That's what comes of not listening to the Foreign Office

Vann the Red - Rest assured I can separate a fictional big picture America from individual Americans, most of whom I've met and worked with have been thoroughly nice and decent people.

However the next update could see things take a turn for the better. Or the worse I suppose, depending on your politics.

Reactions:
There is also the very controversial question of whether Britain should have gone to war at all. To once again quote Sir H;
Originally Posted by Sir Humphrey Appleton
All we achieved after six years of war was to leave Eastern Europe under a Communist Dictatorship instead of a Fascist Dictatorship, at the cost of the utter ruination of the country. That's what comes of not listening to the Foreign Office​

I'd argue the achievement was much greater than that--Western Europe remained free where otherwise the entire continent (world?) would've been dominated by the Nazis or (more likely) the Soviets. To argue that Britain could've sat it all out behind the channel and been better off, I can't buy it.

Now staying out of WWI is perhaps a different matter. ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The real enemy are the USA. France only happens to be on the way... :D;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter XCVII: An Unnamed Deal
Chapter XCVII: An Unnamed Deal

The simplest comparison between President Landon's foreign and domestic programmes is this; the former acquired a moniker "Moral Neutrality", while the later did not. This did not reflect the relative importance of the two, as any political analyst will tell you domestic issues decide almost all non-war time elections, but it did reflect the lack of a coherent ideology behind the domestic programme. There was no overarching vision or desire to remake society, the economy or indeed anything else, the aim was to escape the Depression and then worry about the future. While this may sound short sighted and decidedly lacking in ambition, it was an objective that had defeated the two previous Presidents, three if one counts the stunted term of Garner. So where Theodore Roosevelt had his 'Square Deal', Woodrow Wilson 'The New Freedom' Landon had a blank, an apparently unconnected series of legislation with no obvious or even rhetorical linkage. While this certainly helped to keep expectations low, and perhaps reflected Landon's own preference for delivery over presentation, this does not mean the package itself was devoid of content or controversy.

We have already indirectly covered the bulk of Landon's Foreign policy objectives, the administrations judgement on Spain had induced a rash of exports to the Republicans, a symbolic minority paid for in cash but the bulk on credit. While this trend would stutter as France began tightening the screw, keen to squeeze out 'rival' US goods in favour of their own manufacturers, the generous credit terms of the US exporters kept them in the game. One entirely unexpected outcome of the credit trade was to wake the US financial markets from their slumber, after the Wall Street crash and the systematic collapse of the American banking system the financial system had fallen into a coma. However the export trade to Spain generated a large volume of credit notes, notes the industrial firms were naturally keen to cash but who's value depended entirely on their being a Republican Spanish victory. Therefore there soon developed a market for these 'Spanish Credits', instruments that bore similarities to the 'Cotton Bonds' that the Confederates had issued during the American Civil War; their value rose on news of Republican success, but slumped after a defeat. This development was far from universally welcomed and opposition soon coalesced around the well known Senator Gerald Nye. Nye, who had led the Senate Munitions Committee barely a year earlier, raised the spectre of the Great War and the 'Merchants of Death' who believed had profited from the conflict and who he argued had forced America into the war to protect their investments. Despite Nye's abject failure to find any evidence of this it was a popular argument and a tough charge to refute; the similarities were obvious and the debts were racking up daily, worse the Monarchist government (under British prompting) had explicitly stated they would not honour the war-debts of the Republican Government. For men such as Nye this was a red rag to a bull, a clear sign that America would inevitably be dragged into the war to protect the banks and munitions industries and that only a new, stricter, Neutrality Act could prevent this. While Landon was able to deflect the initial charges by further extending the "Lusitania clause" to cover corporations and financial institutions, his speech on the matter causing a mini-collapse in the value of the 'Spanish Credits', Nye was perseverance itself and the issue would re-emerge as the factions in Spain left winter quarters and began the new campaigning season.

RgX8oaU.jpg

George Gallup, one of the founding fathers of public opinion polling in the United States. Gallup had leapt to national prominence by correctly calling the complex 1936 Presidential Election, the vote distribution part at least; Gallup made no pretence at calculating the post-vote the political wrangling. Keen to build up a regular business in political polling outside of election type Gallup developed his 'Presidential Approval Rating System', a system to gauge popular support for the incumbent President on a rolling basis. Landon would be the first President subject to this monthly ritual and one which soon caught on amongst journalists looking for an easy hook to hang stories or opinions onto. The early months of Landon's Presidency would show a significant upturn in his ratings, though if this was due to the repeal of Prohibition, his modest domestic reforms or the natural tendency for the nation to rally behind a new President after a divisive election campaign is less clear.

As we leave foreign policy and move onto Landon's domestic agenda it is worth noting the areas were there was no change; both tariffs and the gold standard retained their sacred cow status and no efforts were made to change policy on either front; the 'Strong Dollar' and protectionism were key pillars of the Landon Administration. On the domestic front there is rally only one subject worthy of mention, the Labor Reform Act (LRA), also known as the Norris-Hartley Act after it's two sponsors Senator George Norris and Representative Fred Harley Jr. The LRA is justly accused of being a confused Act, as it was drafted without a guiding vision and had to pass through a divided Congress where majorities were assembled on a vote by vote basis this is hardly surprising. In the grandest traditions of industrial labour relations law the Act was duly acted by unions and employers, both vehemently arguing the legislation was biased in favour of the other. In truth the Act tried to balance off a pro-union change against a pro-business reform but such judgements are necessarily subjective, particularly when the issue of States Rights meant individual states could (and did) make their own changes and when the Supreme Court was not afraid to step in and clarify certain parts. In broad terms the LRA introduced a Federal minimum wage (and allowed States to introduce their own minimum wage), removed the last anti-trust limitations on unions, made it simpler for them to organise and outlawed a range of 'unfair practices' such as intimidation or victimisation of union officials or supporters. On the flip side the 'Closed Shop' (where only union members could be hired) was banned in favour of an assumption 'Right to Work' (where union membership was not compulsory), though States could legislate for a 'Union Shop' (where any non-members had to join with a set time of starting work) should they chose. In addition a list of labour side 'unfair practices' such as wildcat strikes, sympathy strikes and secondary action were all outlawed and the Federal Executive was empowered to seek strike-breaking injunctions in the event a planned or ongoing strike "imperilled the national health or safety".

Whether this mix of reforms was pro- or anti-union depended very much on the exact circumstances, the variation in state's legislation meant a local in one state could be a winner, but in the adjacent state a net loser. As an example the nascent auto-mobile unions in Michigan benefited immensely from the protections on employer 'unfair practices' and were able to severely restrict the infamous Ford Service Department's deplorable campaign of violence and intimidation. On the negative side Michigan did not introduce a minimum wage and despite their best efforts remained a right to work state, severely undermining the unions plan to forcibly unionise the entire industry whether they wanted it or not. In contrast the West Coast aerospace unions in California and Washington saw success as those states introduced the 'Union Shop' and with this in place membership exploded as the major aviation firms of Boeing, Douglas and North American were unionised in short order. The exact popularity, or not, of the LRA is hard to gauge with so much else on-going at the same time, not to mention the fact that it would take several protest, court cases and interpretations before the exact impact of the new Act became clear, however it doesn't appear to have been wildly unpopular beyond the partisans of both extremes.

The only other Act passed at the time that was worthy of note was the Hot Oil Act that passed through Congress almost in parallel with LRA but to considerably less fanfare. The Hot Oil Act was, in essence, little more than the cartelisation of the American oil industry; a decidedly risky area for an ex-oilman such as Landon to enter. There was however a genuine problem, after the East Texas oil find of the early 1930s there was a glut of oil on the US market that flattened prices, to deal with this the Texas Railroad Commission (which had somehow become the oil and gas regulator in Texas) introduced quotas on production. Though these had survived repeated legal challenges they faced the problem of 'Hot Oil', basically over-quota oil being smuggled into pipelines, at which point it was untraceable. The solution was the Hot Oil Act which required permits from anyone using a pipeline, records of production and shipping and extended the quota system nationwide. Such was the success of the Act that it inspired Britain to found the Imperial Organisation of Oil Producing Countries (IOOPC) in the late 1930s. Somewhat amusingly the IOOPC would attract immense vitriol from US politicians for it's "domination" of the world oil market (and price) to the detriment of US oil majors, the irony entirely missing an angry Congress. In the short term however it, along with the sky high tariffs, stabilised the US domestic oil price to the advantage of producers (and the cost of consumers) and doubtless saved several of the shakier oil majors from collapse while pushing smaller, less well connected, producers into bankruptcy.

In summary the Landon Administration's opening months were, overall, a success, he managed to deliver on some of his key campaign promises (Repeal of prohibition, 'Moral Neutrality' and labour reform) and had survived the initial backlash of those opposed to such changes. However the later half of the year would not go so smoothly, not least as his domestic agenda began to run into trouble and the opposition to his Spanish policy grew ever stronger.

---
Notes;
The LRA is an unholy mix of the New Deal labour laws and the post-WW2 reaction against them. Is it balanced? I think so but what do I know? It seemed Landon ish, a few social reforms mixed in with a sweetner for business but I'm sure people will tell me it's actually a communist manifesto/evil opression of the masses.

Gallup Presidential Approval did indeed start in early 1937 and so I thought I'd through that one in as a bit of colour. I'm figuring Landon is probably dragging most of his party with him, the Righters as well and a few moderate Dems, against are the labour friendly Dems and the pro-biz Reps but he's OK at the moment. On that basis I'm guessing public opinion is probably OK at the moment, particularly with beer now an option.

Finally the Hot Oil Act is OTL and was rushed in by FDR after his first attempt was declared unconstitutional and alarmingly centralising. Certainly there was a problem with a collapsed oil price and the solution was a government backed price fixing cartel, OTL this did inspire OPEC but TTL there is no OPEC and instead the world can rest assured it's oil supply is in the hands of Britain and the IOOPC. Sadly I doubt this will stop Congress complaining about evil cartels despite it basically being their own fault. Also I suspect Landon will be far more vulnerable on this being an ex-oil man, FDR basically got a free pass on it but I doubt Alf will be so lucky.

In any event, now back to Britain for a string of updates. Why it's almost as if this were a British AAR!

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
A mixed bag, indeed. One wonders where Landon expects to find his support for re-election as he's antagonized many and befriended few.

Vann

Reactions:
Well this is indeed a shock, something occurs in America that isn't unambiguously bad! Looks like things are slowly getting better, even if the Americans aren't smart enough to make sure that the Republicans can pay them like Stalin did.

Landon's going to have a tough time being re-elected, the political climate means that he has few major achievements and with messes like the LRA he can be attacked from literally every angle possible.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The LRA seems to have something for everybody while leaving no one 100% satisfied--which means it's probably about right.

What countries are in the IOOPC? I'm guessing that Anglo-Iranian Oil Co. already has something of a monopoly as far as Middle East oil is concerned?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I dont know why but I find these US domestic politics updates boring as hell.

Anyway, I hope Monarchists win and Americans lose their money. :)

Finally, a reason to support the Monarchists I understand! :D

Still not gonna do it though... ;)

Dury.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Anyway, I hope Monarchists win and Americans lose their money. :)

I don't mind who wins. Only that Yanks end up with their money gone with the wind :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ugh...local interpretation of the LRA? You do realize that the unions have now won...as labor voters vastly outnumber non-labor voters in any local election in an industrial area (such as Michigan). While this act is probably a good thing at the time, it spells economic disaster in fifty years or so when the unions have slowly and inevitably grabbed enough power to suck the economic life out of whatever unfortunate industry they have latched onto.

For example see:
Ford
GM
Chrysler
the US secondary education system
etc.

It will be interesting to see what use the IOOPC does...and how Britain handles the separatist movements in the Middle East and Africa. But that is water far downstream I think.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It will be interesting to see what use the IOOPC does...and how Britain handles the separatist movements in the Middle East and Africa. But that is water far downstream I think.

My thoughts exactly, the British Isles economic vs. political influence in such a group means eventually the 'colonials' will be having words. Wouldn't be suprised if circa 1975 the IOOPC, now full of independent republics in the M.East and Africa kicks the UK out of the group, replaces 'Imperial' with 'Independent' and moves on. ;)

Reactions:
Carlstadt Boy - Then you will be pleased to know we are now entering a run of British updates that have nothing at all to do with domestic US politics.

Vann the Red - In all fairness he's less than six months into his term, I'd hope he hasn't yet started thinking about re-election, it's not like he's an Obama type who can only think in terms of campaigns and re-elections. ;)

My reading is that Landon's re-election will hinge on the economy, if it recovers he's safe and nothing else matters whereas if it doesn't he loses regardless of what else he did. So the question is; does the LRA help the recovery or not?

Zhuge Liang - The Americans don't have the influence to force cash purchases, France has all the Aces with the only land border. And the Soviet have some cash purchases but not all, they are getting a fair bit of payment in kind and even the odd credit payment for the 'advisers' manning the Soviet kit. But as it's all good combat experience Stalin isn't complaining. Yet.

DonnieBaseball - Bang on the money, the alternative name for the IOOPC could be "The Anglo-Iranian Oil Company and a few others". The monopoly is far from absolute, the Iraqi fields are split between AIOC, Shell and an Iraqi syndicate, but still in effect a British dominated region. Libya is still a few years away from any oil being found, let alone exploited while Saudi continues and there will be a tension between the desire to get pumping and not flooding the market. Could be fun in years to come.

The rest are an interesting selection of OTL firms such as Burmah Oil and the decidedly odd Anglo-Ecuadorian Oil Company. So a nicely international flavour to the group.

Duritz - There are many excellent reasons to be a Monarchist - Fearing a Communist takeover and subsequent death squads and gulags, being religious, not wanting to see Nuns used as cheap fire-lighters or just wanting to frustrate the French. You should try and broaden your prejudiced horizons. :p

Kurt_Steiner - That seems to be a common wish. :)

TheExecuter - I know more than enough about the malign influence of unions, British post-war industrial history is one long warning on that very subject! :(

However the Righters (a) were Democrats to start with and (b) will push for local interpretation so I doubt Landon could get anything better through. Still at least the default is Right to Work not the other way round and that has to help.

Dr. Gonzo- That does assume (1) they become independent republics, (2) they have the technical and operational knowledge to operate on their own (for instance the OTL Saudis don't, they outsource the lot) and (3) that Britain doesn't just steam roller back in to teach them the error of their ways.

Plus of course if the US can be kept out of the region then the issue never arises. The Foreign Office may not have been the nicest overlord of the region but they were visionary geniuses compared to the US State Department, men who ruined it for everyone else without even acquiring any benefit for the US. :shakes head:

Reactions:
The LRA seems reasonable to me. Some strikes did get nasty back then even if the factory bosses are squarely to blame for it getting out of hand. What bothers me more is that each state gets to interpret it differently and make adjustments, while there are clauses on strikes like 'health' and 'security' that are just begging to be exploited by a fat cat with a private army of trigger-happy thugs.

A commonwealth oil cartels sounds interesting. I take it Shell boards the ship to? Especially once the war starts, Dutch Indies oil will became important to the Allies if just to deny the Japanese this crucial resource. I can already see the movers and shakers in business and war at work protecting their interests.

Reactions:
Landon is certainly the anti-FDR (for better or worse).

Personally, I support whatever will check the annoying power of unions. Therefore, the Labor Reform Act is nice (but messy).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Interesting update, the LRA looks interesting and I wonder how the future will pan out after its being passed. As ever, Pippy, thought provoking stuff.

Reactions:
C&D - To be fair the health and safety clauses only apply to nationwide issues and are purely at the Presidents discretion which should at least mean any decision will be public. That said a President McNutt would have a different interpretation of 'national importance' than a President La Guardia.

Of course Royal Dutch Shell are involved, they have a stake in the Iraqi fields and of course their Mexico operations, which will be interesting in later updates...

Nathan Madien - Certainly Landon wont see all his legislation struck down by the courts as being unconstitutional, Alf doesn't strike me as a power mad fiend ala FDR.

Le Jones - Just the reaction I was hoping for. :)

Reactions: