• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jalex said:
dont release ethiopia its pointless and gives you dissent

It will only give .5% dissent and its what would happen in real life.

Reactions:
El Pip said:
the States' Rights Democratic Party was gaining support all across the South.

CSA! CSA! :D

• 1Haha
Reactions:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Hiya Pippy

Now that I have far less RL problems to contend with I've been around the forums a bit more and I've finally spotted and read this little gem.

Love ya work mate and hope to see you soon back on 1st UK Co-operative AAR [shameless plug :D ].

Cheers,
Dury.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Dury, mentioning the AAR isn't a bit shameless. Now, had you provided a link to the AAR , that would be shameless.

Ruddy

• 1Haha
Reactions:
El Pip: For the initial stages of the North African Campaign only two of the British Empire's armed services were in action, namely the Army and the Royal Navy...

RAF to the rescue? ? ;)

El Pip: ...This left the RAF perfectly prepared to re-fight the Great War, or indeed the many small wars and counter-insurgency operations fought since, but not ready for the new threats the Empire faced...Secondly RAF Middle East had been the most active command in the Royal Air Force during the 1920s and early 30s, gaining valuable experience for aircrews in operating in desert conditions.

magnificent ! ! :cool:

• 1Like
Reactions:
Back from Christmas I see questions and comments, I suppose I'd better answer them.

Jalex - Who say's Ethiopia has fallen? There may be nothing to release when the war is over...

Vann the Red - Glad you liked it, I couldn't really drop that into the middle of another update so had to stand alone.

GeneralHannibal - Indeed, while the fate of Abyssinia was not the main reason for the Abyssinian War (Irony hey?) it would be a hard sell not to have an independent Ethiopia/Abyssinia after the war. There are however degrees of independence. ;)

Rocketman - Close, but it's going to be far more complicated than that! :D

Raze - Given the current state of the US millitary I doubt they could crush Liberia! Years of underfunding and an epic (far bigger than RL) depression have left their scars. Actually amputation wounds and serious trauma is a better description than scars. :eek:

Jalex - Who doesn't like British Imperialism? Well not counting colonials, convicts, rebels and the vanquished.
ja_zps42369c2d.gif

Duritz - I may well just do that, the blatant flattey of calling this selection of irregular and ill plotted pots a gem has worked it's magic.

GhostWriter - The Army has no need of rescuing (at the moment;) ), as this following update will demonstrate!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Chapter XXII: Spectemur Agendo
Chapter XXII: Spectemur Agendo - Let us be Judged by Our Acts.

General Alanbrooke would later recount his first clue prior to the Battle of Fort Capuso was the absence of abandoned equipment. Prior to the Haboob the retreating Italians had been abandoning all their heavy equipment in irregular piles and leaving broken down trucks where they stopped. After the storm cleared and the advance resumed the forward units encountered an abrupt stop to the dumping, this information filtered up the chain of command to Alanbrooke and his staff who immediately saw the significance. Suitably warned the British advanced units avoided an attempted Italian ambush at Musaid and forced the skirmishing units back to their defensive positions around the the fort. That however was the limit of Alanbrooke's advance, the already strong 'Capuzzo Garrison' combined with the recently rallied IX Corps and the Italian's pre-war defensive preparations to make a formidable position that II (Middle East) Corps could not take.

This delay caused considerable consternation throughout the Imperial General Staff, while Fort Capuso was a known strong point the strength of it's garrison and the extent of the defensive positions was an unpleasant discovery. The large force concentration however reinforced the decision to take the position not contain it and the IGS agreed with Alanbrooke's assessment that impressive though the Italian position appeared it was far from impenetrable but would only strengthen with time. Following the chain of reasoning to it's logical conclusion the IGS released the only strategic reserve in theatre, the recently formed V Corps under General Henry Wilson.

Henry 'Jumbo' Wilson as he was affectionately known was an experienced soldier who's army service stretched back to the Boer War where he had been highly decorated. While his peers from that era had gone on to reach the upper echelons of the service, Wilson had not. This was not a reflection of his abilities but a result of his advocacy of armoured forces supported by motorised infantry, in particular his promotion of the concept of a motor-rifle battalion, which earned him enemies throughout the British Army's hierarchy. Periods of half-pay and his time in the early 1930s on the quiet North West Frontier deprived him of opportunities to impress in service and many misleading and ill-intentioned reviews, "dependable rather than brilliant" being a suspiciously common assessment, did not help his cause. The Abyssinian War would also have passed Wilson by were it not for the personal intervention of General Gort in the matter. Gort, who's rise up the ranks had been meteoric in the preceding years, was considered to be one of the rising stars of the Army giving his word considerable weight, his position as head of the Imperial Defence College only added to the pressure for Wilson's appointment. With Gort's recommendation, along with many others from the more progressive elements within the army 'Jumbo' was given his chance.

EaVNdqq.jpg

Major-General Henry Maitland Wilson, as he was at the time of the Abyssinian War. His work on the motor-rifle battalion concept would prove invaluable in both the long and short term.

At his forward headquarters Alanbrooke impatiently waited for the arrival of Wilson and V (Reserve) Corps, partly for the troops but also for Wilson's advice and counsel. As a former lecturer at the the Camberley Staff College Alanbrooke was well aware of Wilson's true abilities and hoped to use his experience with mobile infantry to spring a surprise on the Italian defenders at Fort Capuso. Wilson did not disappoint; taking the most mobile elements of the two corps, the reconnaissance forces and the 11th Hussars cavalry armoured car regiment, he hastily assembled them into WILFORCE and flanked the defences of the fort at a distance. As WILFORCE was moving Alanbrooke began a classic Great War era bombardment, in spirit if not volume of fire, the bombardment continued until Wilson signalled his forces were in position when Alanbrooke launched the remains II and V Corps into a frontal assault on the eastern defences of the Fort.

General Fusci, who had assumed command of the 'Capuzzo Garrison' on his arrival, deployed his reserve and stripped his other fronts of troops to hold the eastern defences, fooled by the bombardment into expecting a bloody frontal assault not a battle of manoeuvre. With the Italians fully committed WILFORCE raced over the horizon and smashed in the lightly held south western sector, routing the forces stationed there, and began to role up the Italian's southern flank. By the time General Fusci was aware of the attack it was too late, Wilson's forces were marauding at will through the Italian rear areas, the 11th Hussars in particular cutting a swathe through the obsolete Italian artillery attempting to shell Alanbrooke's diversionary advance. His force almost totally enveloped Frusci's options were limited to retreating into the desert or surrender, realising that a retreat into the desert meant almost certain death through dehydration Frusci surrendered IX Corps and the Capuzzo Garrison to the advancing British forces.

ZO67Bqk.jpg

The work horse of the 11th Hussars, the Rolls-Royce armoured car. Famously described by T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) as "more valuable than rubies in the desert" the Rolls-Royce armoured car was a great-war veteran that had been progressively upgraded in the 1920s and was a mainstay of the British Middle Eastern forces. Still a fast and lethal vehicle, and still capable of incredibly feats of reliability in even the harshest desert conditions, it would once again prove it's worth as a raider and harasser of enemy supply lines.

With the fall of Fort Capuso and the removal of a significant Italian force the overall picture of the campaign looked promising to the Imperial General Staff. The news from General Alexander, that an attempted rally by Italian forces north of Sollum, again centred on a Bersaglieri unit, had been overrun by his forces and that he was confident of taking Bardia within days only improved the mood. The one note of caution was that the only strategic reserves in theatre, Wilson's V Corps, had been committed and while additional troops from the Army of India where in transit they would not arrive in time to influence Operation Vulcan. The operation would fail or succeed with the forces already committed.

Up Next; The Hammer and The Anvil collide at Tobruk.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The way to Tobruk, and then Benghazi is clear, soon you'll have all of the libyan "hump" and only Tripoli will stand in your way. I wonder what will happen after you take Africa though, as the UK can't invade mainland Italy. Maybe France will intervene at that point. Also, what is the date now, and has the Spanish Civil War started. Without Italian equipment, much of the Nationalist Forces will be stuck in Spanish Morocco, and probably won't be able to hold Seville and Cadiz.

• 1Like
Reactions:
looks like Britain is firmly in control of the conflict and Hannibal raises a good point it would be difficult for you to invade mainland Italy without France will you have to negotiate peace with them then ?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Smashing success, EP, and quite nice to see Wilson get his moment in the sun.

Vann

• 1Like
Reactions:
El Pip: ...With the fall of Fort Capuso and the removal of a significant Italian force the overall picture of the campaign looked promising to the Imperial General Staff...

excellent use of General Wilson's expertise! ! :)

LONG LIVE THE RAT PATROL ! ! :D

excellent update ! !
:cool:

• 1Like
Reactions:
GeneralHannibal - Currently late February in game and I've played up to April. As for events in Spain, I've modified the Spanish civil war event chain to allow for the changed world situation.

Jalex - I can't really inject any tension into this can I? No-one really believes Italy is going to win this do they? Hey ho. In good news the next update is in the process of being written as I type.

Vann the Red - Wilson has a big part to play in the future, this is just the beginning.

GhostWriter - Indeed WILFORCE did well. There might even be a future in this motor-rifle idea, some form of motorised division even? :eek:

Funkatronica - I'm glad someone appreciates the RAF details, I suspect there will be more of these informative detours as the AAR continues. Success' such as these can only help Alanbrooke's career in the future.

Reactions:
That was a fine update, very good on the information and telling of the story. :)

Reactions:
No more Fdr!! :( :mad: :mad:
:eek:o Oh yeah great aar... Maybe Greece will help, considering they might get support for something of other, anything that might pop into your mind *cough*byzantine empire*cough* Sorry, ive been coughing a lot lately. :rolleyes:

• 1Haha
Reactions: