• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
El Pip: ...
A typical Haboob.​

awesome pic ! !

El Pip: ...The third option Fursci had, of the immediate counter-attack...This was a doctrinal weakness that would, despite the efforts of lower level commanders, dog the Italians throughout the war and one the British commanders regularly tried to exploit.

good show! ! exploit them to death! ! :D

El Pip: ...I was going to stay with Operation Vulcan....little and often or long and infrequent for these updates?

this is an excellent length for an update! ! so, this length and frequent sure has my vote! ! :) oh, and stay with Vulcan! ! :)

awesome update! ! :cool:

Reactions:
So far this AAR has been simply brilliant stuff. The point of divergence you chose opens up very interesting possibilities, especially conserning the situation around the Baltic. Therefore I vote for updates viewing the situation in rest of the world, allthough I have nothing against the idea that this AAR would mainly focuse to the situation in the frontlines.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm eager to see how Vulcan plays out. As for the frequency-length question, go with whichever keeps your writing batteries charged.

Vann

Reactions:
Vann the Red: I'm eager to see how Vulcan plays out. As for the frequency-length question, go with whichever keeps your writing batteries charged.

excellent point ! ! :) we will be very happy with whatever you post ! ! :D both for content and length ! ! :cool:

Reactions:
Update soon? :rolleyes:

• 1Like
Reactions:
Jalex said:
enough talking about updates and actually do it?
what he said ! ! :cool:

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Gents (Ladies? Possibly)

About the delay, well its simple I'm spending far too much time on research and getting small unimportant facts right. For instance the in-game RAF Middle East Group is Bristol Blenheims, which is clearly rubbish what with the Blenheim not coming into service till 1937. So I'm off finding out what squadrons where there and what they were flying. Will anybody care? Probably not but it's the way I'm doing it so tough. :p

For the questions; Will Ethiopia (Abyssinia :D ) be released. Of course, its in the name of the war! But by who and in what form is an entirely different question. ;)

The Baltic/Scandanavian situation is indeed intriguing, I have an entire series of events just waiting to burst into life, some involving Swedish grammar. :eek:

The rest of the world update would mainly be focused on the US, as long time readers who paid attention may remember a prominent US politician was laid low by the all powerful random number generator before which all are equal. Having not planned on his death my entire outline plan for the US had to be changed with ideas brought forward, but rest assured it will be..... interesting over there.

When will the next update be done? Well I've got about three quarters done I guess, but I do keep distracting myself with background details so no promises, plus I really would want to wrap up Vulcan in one update so it could be a long one.

Reactions:
Hmm, a France unaligned to the UK and an agressive interventionist UK certainly creates interesting possibilities.

If Germany is timid perhaps the UK may become an ally against the Soviets. Afterall UK foreign policy for hundreds of years was to keep Europe fragmented.

Love the work so far and if Marshall is the dead American it might greatly lessen the military ramp up the US will undergo.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm still wondering who died, I need to know :confused:. Also, maybe you could just give us a teaser to keep us looking again and again to see if there is an update.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A teaser... Sounds reasonable I suppose. For the departed US politician I will tell you this much: No-one's guessed it so far.

To ScouseJedi - Re-armament is so far off the US agenda it can't even be seen, I think my only mention of US defence was to say how deeply it had been cut! To be fair though I don't believe I've posted anything specific on the US economy, but it ain't pretty I can assure you. :eek:

Britain ally? With ze Germanz? After having just given the only other fascist country in Europe a damn good thrashing (so far :D )? After having withdrawn from negotiations on an expanded navy embarrassing Germany across Europe? No Germany will need to re-exert herself somehow, can't for the life of me think how though....... ;)

Reactions:
TEASER, Prone to Modification come real update:

Despite the commitment of the strategic reserves so early into the operation, the overall picture away from Fort Capuso looked promising. North of Sollum an attempted rally by Italian forces, again centred on a Bersaglieri unit, had been overrun by advancing forces and Alexander was confident of taking Bardia within days. The other piece of good news was that the Royal Air Force was finally beginning to make it's strength felt in the theatre.

Well if it got much longer it would be a full update wouldn't it?

• 1Love
Reactions:
Has Wallace died? He might be pretty important. Also, good teaser.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Building up, building up, then wham! Nice.

Reactions:
Will I ever finish Operation Vulcan? Not at this rate frankly. While attempting to write the next update I appear to have gone off on a random tangent about the RAF. :eek:

As I can't really slot it into an update it will become a part of it's own, so soon to follow will be Part XXI, the random but relevant airforce update!

Reactions:
Can't you just update Vulcan, please?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter XXI: Nili Nomen Roboris Omen.
Chapter XXI: Nili Nomen Roboris Omen.

For the initial stages of the North African Campaign only two of the British Empire's armed services were in action, namely the Army and the Royal Navy. Royal Air Force activity had been limited to defensive fighter patrols over metropolitan Egypt and maintaining the Trans-African and other Empire spanning communication routes. The RAF's initial inactivity was not due to a shortage of assets in theatre or sloth and indolence in the senior ranks but for far more deep seated reasons. These problems, both strategic and inherently structural, dogged all the services throughout the war but affected the RAF most deeply.

Of the problems outlined above the first is by far the easiest, Italy had achieved strategic surprise with its declaration of war and so the British would spend the opening phase of the war playing catchup. The structural issues were the more complex and the more serious; in essence the pre-war priority for the Royal Air Force prior, to the extent of all other considerations in the region, was Palestine, Iraq and the Trans-Jordan. The most westerly RAF bases, or depots as they were called, were in suburbs of Cairo to protect the canal and provide close reinforcements for the Trans-Jordan region. This left the RAF perfectly prepared to re-fight the Great War, or indeed the many small wars and counter-insurgency operations fought since, but not ready for the new threats the Empire faced. While there would be many more obvious outcomes of the war the recognition, by both the Government and the Imperial General Staff, of these institutional problems would be one of the most far reaching for the British Empire.

aMRstAZ.jpg
Air Vice Marshall Peirse, Air Officer Command RAF Western Desert Command​

To return to the Abyssinian conflict, it was soon realised that the pre-war RAF Middle East hierarchy was eminently unsuitable to the current war and that an additional station was needed nearer the front line. The obvious choice for the commander was Air Vice Marshall Peirse, the Air Officer Commanding the Palestine Trans-Jordan Command, one of the major sub-commands of RAF Middle East. An experienced flyer who had been based in the Middle East since the late 1920s Peirse had combat experience from both the Great War and the many small conflicts Britain had been involved in since as well as command experience from his time as Air Officer Commanding.

Peirse's new unit, the grandly titled 'RAF Western Desert Command', more commonly called 'The Desert Air Force', was mainly formed from units based at RAF Heliopolis, outside of Cairo, and at least in the early stages of the war was a fairly rag tag unit. While all the squadrons that formed Western Desert Command operated biplanes there was considerable variation between units which would cause no end of problems for ground crews throughout the campaign. The most common airframe in use were the Hawker Hart variants, such as the Hawker Hardy's of No.6 Squadron, the ubiquitous two seat light bombers that formed the backbone of RAF Middle East and many other non-Home Isle squadrons. The first unit into action however would No.216 Squadron, a communication and transport unit most famous for pioneering the trans-African mail route with Vickers Vincents and Valentias. While hardly the obvious unit to spearhead an attack it was the trans-African experience and accompanying long range tanks that made No.216 the only squadron capable of hitting the Italian lines from the Cairo bases.

w6H4XLW.jpg
The crest of No.216 Squadron RAF. The squadrons motto: '216 Bearing Gifts' would be adapted as a catchphrase, not only by the RAF other squadrons (with their own squadron number substituted in, naturally) but would also feature in the copious media reporting on the conflict, including several famous BBC radio reports.​

The fact that the unit was able to contribute to the attack so early highlighted the two main advantages Peirse had over his Italian adversaries; first all RAF units were expected and trained to fight, there were no 'non-combat' units or airframes, everything he could muster could fight in some capacity. Secondly RAF Middle East had been the most active command in the Royal Air Force during the 1920s and early 30s, gaining valuable experience for aircrews in operating in desert conditions.

To this could be added a third, more long term advantage; the Cairo airbases, RAF Abu Sueir in particular, were home to No.4 Flying Training School one of the main training depots for teaching desert operations and army co-operation to new pilots. This school could rapidly acclimatise the reinforcements pouring in from the UK and get his aircrews up to speed meaning Peirse could count on trained replacement pilots for any losses while new Italian pilots would have to gain their experience the hard way, in combat. On whether these advantages could overcome the Italians numerical superiority hung the fate of the air war in the desert.

Up Next:
Well there's still about half an Operation Vulcan update in the tank, the bits before and after the teaser. With a bit of luck, and no interesting diversions like the one above, that will be up next.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Interesting development, I didn't know you'd update right after I posted. Your lack of another base is hurting though I would think.

• 1Like
Reactions: