• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
KaiserMuffin - I don't even have CK, I'm guess it has a very vindictive random generator?

Sir Humphrey - From the look on his face I think he's been sitting on the fence so much one of posts has gone where only proctologists and customs men dare to venture. Serves him right the spineless twerp.

Nathan Madien - As it happens I've had a rethink and can find a space for the unspeakable W. However after I'm done with him his partisans may wish he had in fact just died in obscurity.

trekaddict - Harsh but fair. Though I must confess that Sandys always seemed more a symptom than a cause, he only flourished because of the whole hateful post-war consensus of failure, misery and low ambitions. In a richer, more confident and less spineless Britain he would have spent his life in backbench obscurity.

Reactions:
Sandys was also a firm believer in Smith's Rhodesia. You can take that whatever way you like I suppose, but it did cause quite a bit of discussion at the time.

Reactions:
Nathan Madien - As it happens I've had a rethink and can find a space for the unspeakable W. However after I'm done with him his partisans may wish he had in fact just died in obscurity.

Does it involve Spain and air travel?!? :D

If you squint and turn your head slightly a tractor looks a lot like a tank... :(

Dury.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Given how Faeelin portrayed him, I can only imagine how W will come through in El Pip's hands...and it isn't good.

Reactions:
Chapter XCIV: Small Acorns

We now turn our attention to the often ignored subject of agriculture, or at least those parts of the field that are of interest to a student of politics, diplomacy and statecraft. The 1930s would see the emergence of recognisably modern farming, at least as far the agricultural machinery went, and it would be Britain and her Empire at the centre of this change. Indeed it is the involvement of the Dominions in this process that is our reason for studying the area; the development of the modern tractor, no matter how fascinating to the enthusiast, is somewhat beyond the scope of this book. However the tensions and competing interests at the heart of Imperial economic and industrial policy are very much our subject and those topics are found in abundance in the evolution of today’s agricultural colossus Ferguson-Brown-Massey.

The story begins with Ferguson-Brown, the joint venture between inventor Harry Ferguson and the engineering concern David Brown Engineering Ltd, which in the mid-1930s produced the imaginatively titled Ferguson-Brown Model A. This new model incorporated the revolutionary ‘Ferguson system’, a combination of a three point hitch, a hydraulic control system and integrated rear power take off. After overcoming the initial scepticism about its small size and relatively high cost the Model A would propel the new company to the top of the market, out-performing far larger machines and being far safer to boot. Our interest begins with the expansion plans of the company, after the success of the Model A the natural progression was overseas sales, the Dominions being the obvious markets. The traditional pattern for a British firm to expand into the Empire was to either export directly or to setup an overseas subsidiary with a subservient local ‘partner’ as a sop to local opinion. It is likely Ferguson-Brown intended to use the same approach, however after meeting with the Canadian firm of Massey-Harris their plans changed.

zNamlWB.png

The original 1936 Ferguson-Brown Model A. The innovative ‘Ferguson System’ allowed the tractor to efficiently use any powered implement over any ground in safety, the three point hitch keeping it stable while the hydraulic lift allowed control of the level of the implement as the ground changed. Aside from the massive time saving and efficiency advantages this made the Model A considerably safer, the tractor staying stable even after encountering large obstructions. In stark contrast its main rival, the Ford designed Fordson Model N, had a solid hitch so any jolt was transmitted to the tractor, resulting in the alarming tendency to jack-knife when it hit even small obstacles in the soil.

Massey-Harris was a giant of Canadian industry; with a history stretching back to the 1840s it was well established and with subsidiaries in the United States and Australia was one of Canada’s few international companies. It was also an innovative company, before the end of the 1930s it would perfect the world’s first self propelled combine harvester, a development only rivalled by the ‘Ferguson System’ in terms of impact on modern mechanised farming. The venture was therefore a merger of equals; Ferguson-Brown would not be in a dominant position and would have to work with its new Canadian partner. Indeed in Australia it would be Massey’s subsidiary, H.V. McKay, that would take the lead, already the largest agricultural machinery concern in the Southern Hemisphere they would end up manufacturing designs from both parties, leaving David Brown Australia to focus on gears and industrial equipment. Before the end of the 1930s there would be a lively cross-pollination between the branches of the new venture, including a not insignificant contribution from Australia, which only accelerated development. This process culminated in the 1940s with the seminal TE.20 (Tractor Empire 20hp), ‘The tractor that fed the Empire’ to its supporters, ‘The little grey sales killer’ to rival manufactures. Aside from domination of the British and Dominion markets it was the first tractor to achieve significant sales in India and the rest of the Empire, for many of the world’s farmers mechanisation was synonymous with the TE.20. Significantly the TE.20 was a true Empire-wide development; the engine and ‘Ferguson System’ from Britain, the drive train and chassis from Canada and the attachments and implements from Australia. Quite simply Ferguson-Brown-Massey was one of the first Empire-wide companies that wasn’t just a British firm working overseas, it was a genuine partnership.

The significance of this cannot be over-rated; much of the British establishment saw the role of the Empire in trade policy as somewhere for British firms to export manufactured goods. When Ferguson-Brown-Massey began importing Canadian built combine harvesters into Britain in the late 1930s this was seen as an alarming development, the more extreme even denouncing Imperial Preference and demanding new tariffs to protect domestic manufacturing. Fortunately calmer heads prevailed, the stream of tractors and engines flowing out from Britain to Canada (and the profits from the overseas sales of the machines flowing back to Britain) graphically pointing out that trade was not, in fact, a zero sum game. The specific problem was soon resolved, sales of the combine grew so rapidly a new factory was soon built to meet demand, however the more general concerns lingered for many years, the British establishment and public having to adapt to the industrial and economic rise of the Dominions. While the larger population, economic base and the Royal Navy would ensure Britain remained the most powerful member of the Empire, increasingly she would be forced to become a first among equals and the transition would not be easy. This brings us quite neatly to the second part of our review of all things agricultural; the roller-coaster world of the international beef trade.

--
Notes.
Two updates in a week? Whatever next?! Well don't get used to it, I had some nightshift inspections last week so had plenty of writing time. I will not be so fortunate for quite a while. Moving on to the update;

Britain has to face up to the Empire industrialising and probably isn’t best pleased, the Dominions are supposed to sell raw materials then buy British goods in exchange, they are definitely not supposed to build their own machinery and sell it to Britain. However it is inevitable and after conceding the point on defence the genie is out of the bottle and cannot be put back, but it will not go smoothly.

OTL Ferguson dumped Brown after the Model A and got a deal with Ford to make the 9N, Ford’s son then stiffed him on the deal in the 1940s and Ferguson went back to Britain to make the TE.20 with Standard Motors before selling out to Massey in the 50s. TTL Ford suffered horribly in the depression and lacks the cash for tractor development (everything is being pinned on the Spanish truck deals) and so Ferguson never meets Ford and stays with Brown.

Massey did produce the first self propelled combine harvester in the late 1930s (designed by an Australian engineer apparently) and so had a big bargaining chip, hence the partnership deal. The OTL TE.20 was actually the Tractor England 20 and was called the ‘little grey sales killer’, I therefore couldn't resist the name Tractor Empire 20 and thanks to Massey 4WD it will sell even better. Handy that.

Finally game effects; all the Empire countries have researched all the 1936 agriculture techs, though you probably could have guessed that. ;)

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
A shame that this world might not see any Nuffields, those things were a synonyme for tractors in Finland all the way to the end of 1960s. :D

Reactions:
the development of the modern tractor, no matter how fascinating to the enthusiast, is somewhat beyond the scope of this book.

:rofl: Now the tractor fiends will WANT one! :wacko:

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Ye gads - you actually did it - the farmy/tractory update! Truly, "The Butterfly Effect" is the most detailed of the AARs!

As ever fascinating.

Reactions:
Well I've finally managed to catch up with this monster and it's truly impressive in its sprawling mass- congratulations for being able to write up an entire update on tractors and actually make it relevant to the wider story.

• 1Like
Reactions:
When I heard there was going to be an update about tractors, I thought it was going to be boring. But much to my surprise, I was totally right! Maybe if they had been from DAF I would have cared, but it's at this point that I want to see US policy more than before! So, that's the beef. Now where's the beef? Can we beef up the updates a little? I promise I'll beefhave. I just want something that's beeffitting your writing talents. Otherwise beef afraid, beef very afraid.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Is the tractor David Brown related to the Aston Martin one?

• 1Like
Reactions:
The industrialization of the Dominions may be a blessing in disguise--forcing British industry to sharpen up and compete, rather than having soft markets that'll buy any old thing, may lead to many long-run beneficial changes in terms of greater capital investment, better labour-industry relations, etc.

Reactions:
You sir are a god amongst men!

Reactions:
Is it sad that I feel quite excited that we actually own a David Brown Selectamatic 1200 tractor (vintage 1969):rofl:

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Duritz / Nathan Madien - It has nothing to do with Spain or air travel. I'm saying no more.

Karelian - I doubt the TE20 will achieve 100% utter domination of the tractor world, it's not that good. ;)

Ciryandor - Then they will have to be disappointed. :D

Le Jones - I did it for the challenge of a tractor update as much as anything else, I'm a sucker for an update challenge.

Zhuge Liang - Thanks, that's what I was hoping for.

C&D - You can't please all of the people all of the time. I am resigned to this universal truth and I heartily recommend you reflect on it as well. ( :) )

DonnieBaseball - All true, though I think avoiding the catastrophic error of nationalisation is far, far more important than anything else. And on that basis having more Empire-wide firms make nationalisation that much harder, the chances of getting communist nutters in government in three countries at the same time must be low.

Simon1397 - That was a particularly ironic failure.

Sir Humphrey - Behold the magnificence of a relevant tractor update. :D

Derek Pullem - Some will say yes, others no. Tractors are clearly a Marmite subject on this thread.

trekaddict - It was never the car racing that was the problem, Aston just never sold enough cars, they never got economies of scale and development costs just kept rising. And damned stupid ideas like the Lagonda didn't help.

So a richer Britain with more people who can afford an Aston should fix that a treat, thus as always the problem comes back to the post-war consensus. Kill that and almost every problem in Britain will be solved. :D

Reactions:
Tractors and beef trade...risque topics only someone like El Pip would have the daring to cover. I salute you, good sir, for your boldness to go where only a few people would dare to even tremble at the thought of going. :cool:*

*A wordy way of saying "Interesting update, El Pip."

Reactions:
I wonder if Astons become the workhorses of luxury cars and not a super-exclusive brand... like Rolls Royce?

And if there's no DB9 in that timeline... BLASPHEMY!

• 1Like
Reactions: