• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter CXI: A Difference of Horizons
Chapter CXI: A Difference of Horizons

In the ongoing Anglo-French arguments about protectionism and parochialism 1937 provided the French with what they believed to be the winning argument. In a year full of ‘world’ fairs and international expositions the highlight was arguably the Paris Exposition Internationale des Arts et Techniques dans la Vie Moderne (International Exposition dedicated to Art and Technology in Modern Life). The exposition was essentially five months of festivals and exhibitions strung together, the result being generally agreed to be very heavy on the arts but alarmingly light on technology. Of all the arts present it was perhaps the ‘black art’ of propaganda that was most prominent, the Soviets and the Germans leading the way with their colossal pavilions that dominated the main exposition site. The British effort was frankly poor, not only in comparison but on a fundamental level, overshadowed not only by the other great powers pavilions but even by other pavilions from within the British Empire, the Canadian pavilion in particular attracted many an admiring comment due almost entirely to the efforts of the French-Canadian community who had pulled out all the stops to impress on their return ‘home’. This lack of effort was seen as proof positive in France that parochial Britons did not look beyond her own borders, and thus were entirely to blame for poor state of Franco-British trade. The British view was, naturally, somewhat different.

iZ1txIj.png

A view towards the Eiffel Tower, with the German pavilion on the left and the Soviet effort on the right. By virtue of their vast size (and the fact they were among the few structures to be finished on time) these pavilions dominated the event, turning much of the exposition into an ideological contest. The Soviet building was topped out by a sculpture, “Worker and Kolkhoz Woman”, a couple marching forward with hammer and sickle aloft. Due to the layout of the exposition this meant they appeared to be marching from East to West, a quirk fully exploited by the German pavilion. The German pavilion was designed by Albert Speer on his usual colossal scale and was widely interpreted as a representation of Germany as a bulwark against the advancing Soviets, a trick Speer pulled off by illicitly obtaining a drawing of the Soviet pavilion months in advance and adjusting his design accordingly. Speer would leave Paris with a string of awards, not only for the German pavilion but, somewhat unfortunately for the French judges’ future reputations, a Gold Medal for his work on the Nazi party rally grounds at Nuremberg.

In their defence the British embassy in Paris, and their masters in the Foreign Office, resorted to a less than subtle ‘No, you are the parochial ones’ argument. While it was not a very imaginative approach to take, that does not necessarily mean it was incorrect. As mentioned earlier 1937 was a busy year for international expositions and world’s fairs; Nazi Germany was busily demonstrating quite how large it’s inferiority complex was, organising not one but two exhibitions directly in opposition to the Paris Exposition, while in the United States Dallas and Cleveland were doing their bit to prove that events more than a year long were a bad idea, both cities dragging out their respective 1936 Expositions into loss making second years. For our purposes it is the ill-named Nagoya Pan-Pacific Peace Exposition that deserves attention, and not just for the irony of its name.

The Nagoya Pan-Pacific Peace Exposition was certainly an exposition in Nagoya and the presenting nations were gathered from across the Pacific, however where it fell down was the ‘peaceful’ part. While the attendees managed to avoid actual war breaking out during the exposition, though not without some effort, within 12 months of the event ending those same attendees would variously be embroiled in two wars, have been involved in half a dozen border ‘incidents’ and would have seen their militaries ‘regrettably’ or ‘accidentally’ sink an alarming number of foreign warships. There was more to the event than merely being ironic in hindsight however, even at the time the absence of peace and goodwill was noted, as was the cause; the decidedly undiplomatic actions of the host nation. While blatant propaganda was par for the course at an international exposition, Japan’s choice to push both her expansionist Toa shin Shitsujo (New Order in East Asia) foreign policy and her aggressively mercantilist “Yen Bloc” trade policy managed to offend pretty much every foreign observer.

8ndi4xf.png

The battleship Mutsu at anchor in Nagoya harbour during the exposition. A Nagato class battleship she and her sister had been designed by the fatally flawed genius Yuzuru Hiraga and were the first Japanese battleships to be manufactured entirely in Japan. This, along with the large public subscriptions that had funded her construction, made her one of the prides of both the Imperial Japanese Navy and the Japanese public. After an extensive two year rebuild she had acquired the iconic ‘Pagoda’ mast, replaced her coal fired boilers with modern oil burning units and had incorporated the many lessons learned from the disastrous Tomozuru and Fourth Fleet Incidents earlier in the 1930s. In yet another breach of ‘good form’ the Mutsu and her fellow IJN ships were the only naval force present, the Japanese government barring any other nation from showing the flag during the exposition, yet another source of tension during the event.

In stark contrast to the dismal efforts of Paris the British pavilion in Nagoya had the full weight of both the Indian Office and Colonial Office behind it, with impressive results. This was not however a mere Westminster rivalry, both departments had motivations beyond ‘putting on a better show’ than their rivals in the Foreign Office, though that undoubtedly played a part. As Whitehall turned its attention to the Far East the efforts in Nagoya were intended to serve a variety of purposes; impressing the unstable but militaristic government of Siam, bolstering the efforts at corralling the Dutch into a defensive agreement in the Pacific to help replace the lost French Far Eastern forces and as a strong sign to Australia and New Zealand of London’s genuine interest in the region. To this end manufacturers, financiers and industrialists from across the Empire were encouraged to attend, with a special effort made to entice the nascent ‘Empire wide’ conglomerates such as Vickers, Imperial Chemical Industries, Ferguson-Brown-Massey and the trading powerhouse of Jardine, Matheson & Co. Even the cultural side was carefully judged, the artists involved asked to ‘consider’ the recent successes in the Abyssinian War as a source of inspiration, the resulting creations being dramatic, inspirational but above all unsubtle reminders of the fate of those who challenged the British Lion, or so it was hoped. In short it was everything the effort in Paris should have been but wasn’t.

The French government having decided not to make a strong effort in Nagoya avoided the embarrassment suffered by the British in Paris by the expedient of not even bothering to make a token effort. Quite simply there was no French pavilion at Nagoya or even an official ‘French’ delegation; instead the Governor-General of French Indochina sent a small delegation of officials and representatives of the many puppet ‘emperors’ that made up the colony. As with the British this was not an economic or logistical decision, for instance the Dutch government managed to put on a respectable show in both Nagoya and Paris, but a diplomatic choice. Heavily involved in the Spanish Civil War and still vigilant after the Rhineland affair the previous year Paris had decided to focus all efforts on Europe and l'Hexagone at the expense of the Far East. In contrast with Imperial concerns rising in Whitehall and a general disillusionment with Europe and European allies in the country Britain was increasingly looking to the Far East and disregarding the ‘continentalists’ pressing for re-engagement with Europe.

Despite their different directions both policies shared one key flaw; just because you ignore an issue does not mean the issue will ignore you. The ‘strike south’ faction of the Japanese military would not find Indochina any the less attractive if France ignored it, quite the contrary in fact. Equally while the British government, or elements of it, may have wished to disengage from Europe, that did not mean the powers, great and otherwise, of Europe would let go so easily.

---
Notes:

An update! Sneaked onto the bottom of a page almost as if I didn’t want anyone to notice… I’ll be honest it wasn’t the dramatic return I hoped for, handily it isn’t the dramatic return so don't get your hopes up. I'm just tidying up an update I’d half written and needed to finish to clear the decks and complete part 2 of Franco-British relations.

The Paris Expo and the Nagoya Exhibition were both OTL events. The German and Soviet exhibits were both OTL as was the unfortunate architecture prize to Speer… The British effort in Paris was terrible, I saw one description of it as a cardboard box filled with cricket bats and a few nice books, and the Canadian effort was far better. Harder to find details on Nagoya, I do know Britain did attend with at least a half decent pavilion but France didn’t bother to go, instead sending a colonial delegation. TTL I’ve beefed up the British contribution to reflect Britain looking East more than OTL but kept France as distracted.

In true Butterfly Effect fashion I found out a string of interesting events I wanted to shoe horn in but couldn’t without doubling the size of the update. Instead I’ve gone for tantalising teases, hopefully, which I will try and expand on next time I have to write about the Japanese navy and Japanese economy.

Up next I'm disregarding everything I said before (sorry about that) and finally doing some plot for something other than Spain, which will be nice.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Germany and the USSR quarrelling... as usual...
France and Britain friendly hating each other.... as usual...
Japan dreaming on expanding... as usual....

Bussinnes as usual, in a word! :D

Reactions:
Nice to see you back El Pip, even if it is only a pit stop.

Reactions:
Despite their different directions both policies shared one key flaw; just because you ignore an issue does not mean the issue will ignore you.

I can't think of truer words.

Reactions:
How splendid to get a little Butterfly fix. I hope that all of the change in your life is going well and look forward to it settling so you can return to us.

Vann

Reactions:
Agent Larkin - A very positive reaction. :)

Kurt_Steiner - I'd like to say the next update will be something unusual, but I don't think it will be. But just because something is usual doesn't make it less surprising when it actually happens, hopefully.

Carlstadt Boy - Thanks.

caffran - It has reminded me why I liked writing it so much, but then it's also reminded me of why all the updates take so long - that entire part on the Mutsu was just added because I got distracted by mad Japanese Admirals.

Karelian - I do hope so. :D

Nathan Madien - If more people had paid attention to those words the world would be a very different place.

Vann the Red - I'm halfway there, while I have a wonderful new wife I don't have a wonderful new home, and possibly may not the ways things are going.

Still, if the house buying does fall through at least I'll have more time to write, you've got to look on the bright side.

Reactions:
Still, if the house buying does fall through at least I'll have more time to write, you've got to look on the bright side.

This reminds me of a guy I work with. He spent $600 on a dog, meaning he had no money to pay the rent for that particular month.

I guess the bright side counts for something.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Welcome back Pip--and congrats again. : )

Ominous hints re Japan ... I'd thought a stronger France (even indifferent) would be a help to the Empire in the FE, but ...

Reactions:
Ah-haaaa! ...A Cunningly Concealed update, eh? ;)

Thanks for that, and may there be many more. I was always fascinated by the IJN and their warships; like their aircraft they were astonishingly advanced for the day - indeed nobody in the West was quite expecting how good they would be until it was a bit too late!

Good luck with the domestics, and keep up the grand work sir. :D

Reactions:
Will we see 'Le Corbusier vs The World?', battling with slide rules over mountains of broken glass and shattered concrete?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nathan Madien - But he had a dog, worst case he could have set the dog on his landlord and thus solved his rent problem. ;)

DonnieBaseball - A stronger France still things like the OTL France; Europe first, elsewhere with what's left.

RAFspeak - I wouldn't call Japanese kit advanced (though some of it was), more unbalanced. Japanese design tended to emphasise one or two key traits to the detriment of absolutely everything else, (plus of course blatant lying about Washington Treaty limits.)

This is all well and good if the enemy doesn't know how to counter that trait, but if they develop a counter-measure you are in trouble. For instance super manoeuvrability is only any use if the enemy dogfights, if they use their power and speed advantage instead (which you cannot match without losing that super manoeuvrability) you are toast.

Sir Humphrey - That master of concrete horror will be confined to France I can promise you that!

Reactions:
Chapter CXII: Call, Raise or Fold
Chapter CXII: Call, Raise or Fold

The Hotchkiss H35 was not a war winning wonder weapon, but in the summer of 1937 it gave a very good impersonation of one. After a series of bloody defeats the Monarchist Armies in southern Spain had abandoned any attempt to fight the H35s in open country and instead focused on ambushes and city fighting. In this endeavour they received the dubious assistance of the German government who supplied several batteries of obsolete 3.7 cm Pak L/45s, an early 1920s design complete with wooden wheels for horse transport. The L/45 was technically capable of penetrating the armour on a H35, but only from point blank range and even then only the thinner armour on the hull, putting in on a par with the near suicidal ‘Flandin Cocktail’ (or petrol bombs as everyone bar the propagandist called them). That said it did bring the Monarchists a brief respite and even a few tactical victories, H35 crews used to being invulnerable obligingly charging dug in guns and blundering into ambushes. Sadly for the Monarchists this did not last, the surviving members of the recently renamed 1st Armoured “El Carpio” Division (and their French ‘advisers’) did not waste the experience from those expensive lessons. As the division adopted its tactics, and the remaining crews struck a better balance between aggression and caution, the Republicans were soon able to re-establish their dominance.

Despairing of the L/45 the Falangists turned on the German ambassador, Wilhelm Faupel, and demanded something better. In this they were to be disappointed, the Wehrmacht staff had noticed the French tanks shrugging of the best the L/45 could throw at it and duly began gently panicking. The ‘anti-tank’ Panzer III was still stuck in development hell and the new PaK 36 anti-tank gun was only just entering general service, basically there was very little in the German arsenal that could actually stop a H35 and the German military leadership wanted all of it on the French border, leaving nothing to send to Spain. This left Hedilla and the Falangists with little choice but to turn to the British, much to the disgust of the German ambassador and the disquiet of Berlin. The one hope for German influence in southern Spain was British indifference, a not entirely hopeless cause.

Initially the appearance of the H35 had not aroused much concern in the British mission to Spain, certainly the Royal Armoured Corps contingent were interested in this new tank but only from a technical standpoint. As it was clearly being sent to the South, and as its abilities were then a mystery, it was put down as a curiosity but nothing more. The first big Republican victories in the south prompted a re-assessment and the supply, after some haggling, of the then brand new Boys anti-tank rifle to the Falangist armies. The complete failure of the Boys to make even a dent in a H35 and the resumption of the surging advance of the “El Carpio” division after it adapted to the L/45 finally roused the British; setbacks in the South were acceptable (even desirable, from a long term political view point) but total defeat was not.

flkThXl.jpg

The Lorraine 28, a 4x6 ‘cross country’ truck that France supplied to Spain in considerable quantity to help bulk out the infantry ranks of the 1st Armoured Division “El Carpio”. Having been replaced in French service with the far superior Laffly S20TL 6x6 trucks the French cavalry jumped at the chance to sell them to Spain and spend the funds on something more useful. As was the case with so much of the equipment sent to Spain the poor quality of the opposition transformed an unloved and obsolete vehicle into a popular and lusted after asset. Through a combination of evolving tactics and problems at the Hotchkiss factory limiting the supply of new H35s the “El Carpio” division was drifting away from it’s original French pattern, gaining additional ‘Motor Dragoons’ to support the amour and shedding tanks squadrons to consolidate the remaining H35s into full strength units. The Lorraine 28 was a vital part of this change, allowing the ‘Motor Dragoon’ units to keep up with advancing tanks even on rough terrain. The tactical value of these changes would be discussed in tank establishments in France and across Europe.

The decisive point was the Fall of Cordoba; though lacking the defensive lines found around Madrid or Bilbao, Cordoba had been well fortified and offered the defenders all the advantages of urban combat, this made the handsome and swift Republican victory all the more unnerving. British policy had been to limit supplies to Spain of obsolete equipment for financial (both the revenue and the savings on disposal/storage costs) and security (protecting ‘advanced’ technologies) reasons. After the Fall of Cordoba this policy changed, it became clear that the French decision to supply the H35 had raised the stakes and Britain had to either escalate in turn or risk forfeiting her influence in Spain. To the disquiet of the ‘dove’ faction in the government the cabinet decided to match the French raise; the Monarchists would get their modern anti-tank gun. Though they did not realise it at the time, the British government was starting down the slippery slope that would see modern monoplanes, tank prototypes and other experimental weapons flowing into Spain before the end of the year.

The obvious choice was the Ordnance QF 2-pounder, an infinitely more capable weapon than the L/45 that fired a larger shell, faster and more accurately. Though this came at some cost, the 2-pdr was slightly larger and far heavier than its continental equivalents, the result was a weapon that could kill a H35 at 1000 yards and penetrate even the tougher turret at well over 800 yards. Equally importantly, thanks to a rapid production ramp up at the start of the Abyssinian War the production lines were in place and there were plenty of guns available. The only issue stopping it's shipment had been one of political will, once that had been overcome the gun was soon on its way to Spain. Given the crisis that would engulf the issue it is worth noting that while the escalation was not universally popular, neither was it particularly controversial. Opposition to escalation was generally confined to the usual suspects; the pacifist who didn’t want Britain to even have arms, let along supply them to the others; the neutral faction who didn’t want Britain to have anything to do with Spain and finally those who did want British involvement in Spain, but supporting the Republicans not the Monarchists. While all three groups issued many a doom laden warning, none of them managed to predict the particular crisis that would engulf the 2-pdr’s entry into the Spanish Civil War.

---
Two week between updates? That's not to shabby at all. Though the fact that this entire update was supposed to be expressed in the single line "Worried by the success of the H35 Britain agreed to supply modern anti-tank guns to Spain" does explain the slow progress of this AAR. Still the exciting consequences of sending modern guns to Spain will show up next time (*fingers crossed*)

All tech is OTL, including that very funky French 4x6 truck, some of the French APCs of the time were very clever indeed. If only they'd been reliable, produced in decent numbers and used properly... On which note fans of French tanks may be pleased to note those funds and ideas flowing back to France, if they learn those lessons all Paris will have to do is start awarding contracts on technical and industrial ability, not political clout, and they may get a few decent armoured divisions!

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Lorraine28.jpg

The Lorraine 28, a 4x6 ‘cross country’ truck that France supplied to Spain in considerable quantity to help bulk out the infantry ranks of the 1st Armoured Division “El Carpio”. Having been replaced in French service with the far superior Laffly S20TL 6x6 trucks the French cavalry jumped at the chance to sell them to Spain and spend the funds on something more useful. As was the case with so much of the equipment sent to Spain the poor quality of the opposition transformed an unloved and obsolete vehicle into a popular and lusted after asset. Through a combination of evolving tactics and problems at the Hotchkiss factory limiting the supply of new H35s the “El Carpio” division was drifting away from it’s original French pattern, gaining additional ‘Motor Dragoons’ to support the amour and shedding tanks squadrons to consolidate the remaining H35s into full strength units. The Lorraine 28 was a vital part of this change, allowing the ‘Motor Dragoon’ units to keep up with advancing tanks even on rough terrain. The tactical value of these changes would be discussed in tank establishments in France and across Europe.

This looks silly. Then again, it's a French design.

Reactions:
Someboy should say Churchill the old saying: "If you want something properly done, do it yourself".

Reactions:
An unexpected pleasure, Pippy. I wonder if the despair at penetrating the H35 with the armament of most inter-war designs in WoT influenced this post any?

Great to hear from you and I can't even begin to imagine what crisis the sending of modern anti-tank guns to Spain might precipitate.

Vann

Reactions:
Are you back full time Pip, or just teasing us?

Either way another cracking update

• 1Like
Reactions: