• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OK with everyone? Moving on (or back in this case)
*Goes off and cries in a barley field*

Seriously though, great update.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hmm, an interesting mixture of events...

The pro-Franco influence (country, not the dead guy) for the Republicans is a good sign.

From what I can tell the air war will be less decisive. Although the advantage will remain with the Monarchists (as it did with the Nationalists) the quality of the machines is poorer across the board and should lead to air power playing less of a role than it did historically.

On land the advantage of the H35's over the Vickers lights and Mk I's will be similar to the Soviet T26's over the Fiats and Mk I's in OTL while the infantry weapons were a mess anyway. However the Republicans historically suffered from a lack of a standardised rifle and had terrible trouble with ammunition supply as a result so even an obsolete French rifle supplied en masse would help alleviate that problem. The lack of a Soviet backed agenda in officer selection should also lead to better middle officers... however I'm mindful of Pippy's comments regarding trouble afoot...

Strategically, I'm not sure what the Monarchists would do - a drive on Valencia or Barcelona are the obvious choices - but the Republicans will hopefully avoid the terrible 'propaganda' battles the Soviet advisors forced on them. Historically the professional soldiers planned an offensive designed to split up the Nationalist zone but I see them attempting to take only one target at the moment - Madrid. It will be interesting to see if they attempt an envelopment. Historically the Republican forces showed the ability to plan this type of battle... if not actually pull it off!

Lovely work Pippy, can't wait for the campaigning season to begin!

Dury.

Reactions:
A good example is the death of General Francisco Franco in a plane crash in late December 1936, his Ju-52 coming down somewhere in the Sierra Madrona mountain range while Franco was traveling from his HQ on the Southern front to a meeting in Madrid.

Excellent way to start an update.

Sanjurjo [...], José Antonio Primo de Rivera [...] and [...] Víctor Pradera all suffered mysterious, but fatal, accidents.

Well, all of them were fated to die before 1936 ended...

particularly Franco's successor Manuel Hedilla

Hardly. Franco, in OTL, supressed Hedilla, who was Primo de Rivera's successor in Falange, and condemned him to death, which was not carried out.

Overall the Republicans entered the 1937 campaigning season with a significant advantage on land, the question would be how they played their new ace to best effect.

If competent officers are in charge of the Republican army, they may have a chance. If they manage to keep the Communist and Anarchist leaders at bay, indeed...

Reactions:
C&D - I agree, this Spanish Civil War is going to lack the ideological edge the OTL one had. It's going to be hard to raise international brigades of idealists to fight against the Monarchists, it's not exactly a promising rallying cry for non-Spaniards is it?

However I think Spain may prefer to stay out of any future war regardless of who wins, just because there's no grand ideology doesn't mean it wont be a nasty and brutal war.

DonnieBaseball - You missed out FDR and Al Smith also having bowed out. Truly the random generator in this game has embraced the Butterfly Effect and keeps picking important people to kill off.

Good call on the winners and losers, that's how I saw it as well. I think France gets the Bronze medal as they're getting the bulk of the Republican cash sales, a handy shot in the arm for the economy but it's only masking the deeper problems (like still being on the gold standard)

KaiserMuffin - If anyone can flatten anything using only Hawker Hart light bombers they deserve to be immortalised in paint. :p

Sir Humphrey - The tractors are coming, surely that is compensation enough?

Duritz - You forget that the Republicans do not have an (effective) unified chain of command; coordinating between the actual government forces, the militias and the separatists was hard before, now with distrust over who killed who it's only going to get worse.

Still the Monarchists are little better at the moment so neither side is going to manage a single focus. I will wait to see what the AI does and 'interpret' it accordingly. ;)

Kurt_Steiner - The power of "command = { type = sleepleader which = -1 }" has worked out for the best it seems, the random selection of Franco for death is meeting with approval. :)

As you say Hedilla was one of Franco's big rivals so wouldn't be his picked successor, however with Franco dead the Germans needed a new man to back and Hedilla was apparently popular with the German ambassador and OTL got some help from notable Finnish Nazi-actor-spy-nutter Carl von Haartman. On the basis of that my guess was that he would become the new head of the German supported faction.

I guess I could have worded it better, maybe;
El Pip said:
Franco's replacement as head of the German faction Manuel Hedilla
Something like that?

Reactions:
C&D - I agree, this Spanish Civil War is going to lack the ideological edge the OTL one had. It's going to be hard to raise international brigades of idealists to fight against the Monarchists, it's not exactly a promising rallying cry for non-Spaniards is it?

I'd guess it depends on how important part the falangists play, how clear it is to everyone that Italy and Germany support and influence the nationalists and how total destruction of the working class they press for in the occupied zones. Even though the hard-line communist volunteers may not flock in such numbers they did IRL, all other kinds of left winger, democrats and anarchists may find it easier to come.

Reactions:
Update! And fun and games in Spain where the gremlins have been working overtime. With all the quarrelling factions and shaky leadership, Spain is starting to look like China - the "sides" (particularly the Nationalist/Monarchists) are basically warlord factions with little coherent ideology or organisation. Under those circumstances, I wouldn't expect much in the way of coherent strategic planning - and I'd expect the elite units on each side (like the Republic's tanks) to be badly handicapped by Praetorian Guard syndrome.

Reactions:
Kurt_Steiner - The power of "command = { type = sleepleader which = -1 }" has worked out for the best it seems, the random selection of Franco for death is meeting with approval. :)

As you say Hedilla was one of Franco's big rivals so wouldn't be his picked successor, however with Franco dead the Germans needed a new man to back and Hedilla was apparently popular with the German ambassador and OTL got some help from notable Finnish Nazi-actor-spy-nutter Carl von Haartman. On the basis of that my guess was that he would become the new head of the German supported faction.

Oh, I got it now. I'm a bit of a nutty professor sometimes... A pity you couldn't save Primo twice. It would have been a juicy alternative.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Most interesting. On the face, the ARM division would seem like a decisive tool, but it must be used properly (see the British armored doctrine debate above complicated by the question of who, exactly, gets to decide how to employ them). What a mess this is, just like OTL.

Vann

Reactions:
Hmm, I just realized that with any luck the feedback from Spanish Civil War will reveal the drawbacks of crowded two-man turrets and lack of tank radios to French tank designers.

Renault G1R, anyone?

Reactions:
Sir Humphrey - The tractors are coming, surely that is compensation enough?
Your word is enough for me, ha ha!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Duritz - You forget that the Republicans do not have an (effective) unified chain of command; coordinating between the actual government forces, the militias and the separatists was hard before, now with distrust over who killed who it's only going to get worse.

Still the Monarchists are little better at the moment so neither side is going to manage a single focus. I will wait to see what the AI does and 'interpret' it accordingly. ;)

I'm under no illusions about how disjointed the commands will be. Just can't wait for the operational update prior to you moving onto tractors!

Dury.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Spain continues to become a fun place to be...unless you are an important person. :eek:

Any thoughts of killing off certain Americans who annoy you greatly?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Tapas and paella certainly seem to be the flavour of the month in HOI2 AAR's lately...

And curse you for making the Spanish update so interesting that I need to know how it turns out in Iberia thus forestalling the barley and beets. My only comfort is that there will be tanks.

Bravo on the random accidents, BTW. I can just imagine the scenes at headquarters.

AIDE: Your plane is ready, my General.
Gen. Not Appearing in this AAR: Plane, I thought I was taking the car.
AIDE: Gen Mola thought a plane would be more.... convenient.

Of course, since the wreckage was never found, Franco could always turn up on Lost.

And I see you did not rise to my taunts about Clegg PM. I for one can't wait until Thursday.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Kasakka - Well the Italian influence is nothing, after being beaten in North Africa Il Duce has (temporarily) lost his taste for overseas adventures. Holding his country together through the post-war depression is his current priority. Equally German influence is a lot less obvious, no Condor Legion for starters.

On the other hand I doubt Communists in the Monarchist zones will survive long, just as anyone religious in the Republican zone will probably be burnt alive inside their church. Both sides in the war were (and will be) guilty of countless crimes, without the clear ideological differences I can't see any non-Spaniard being able to pick an a 'good' side. Is fighting against people who murder trade unionist worth fighting along side people who murder nuns?

merrick - Mostly on the money, both sides are defining themselves more by what they aren't/don't want than what they do want. Interesting thought on Praetorian Guard syndrome, it might help me explain a few things if the AI refuse to fight this season. :)

Kurt_Steiner - What the random generator gives it also takes away. :D

C&D - Indeed it would only make everything worse, it's just the law.

Vann the Red - A mess is what I was trying for, it appears I've succeeded.

On the tanks, that is the downside of the French tanks ; they come with French doctrine and tactics. They're not in themselves that bad, they were just designed for an almost completely defensive war under fairly specific circumstances, how well will they fit in Spain?

Karelian - Depends on how the tanks are used, if they end up guarding Valencia then I doubt anyone will learn anything from them.

Sir Humphrey - As it should be.
ja.gif

Duritz - Then you will be waiting along time, I've already moved onto tractors. I do have a plan for this and I need to cover a few more developments before heading back to Spain. Sorry about that.

Nathan Madien - I must confess having Wendell Willkie die a horrific and painful death is sorely tempting me, but I'm also toying with the idea of just not mentioning him, having him be just another businessman who went bankrupt during the Depression and then jumped of a building.

Davout - I must rob you of your comfort, there will be no tanks and no Spain. There will however be tractors.

As for Nick Clegg, once he loses the election I'm looking forward to his career in camp panto. He's got the Larry Grayson look all sorted. However he might have competition from Gordon Brown

So in summary; No Spain but there will be tractors. Soon. Probably this weekend in fact.

Reactions:
As for Nick Clegg, once he loses the election I'm looking forward to his career in camp panto.
nickclegg.jpg

Heres a minister portrait you can add to your minister files. Its Nick Clegg in the classic "this is the size of my love truncheon" pose.:p

• 1Haha
Reactions:
On a side note, I find the British Prime Minister debate to be very interesting.

Both sides in the war were (and will be) guilty of countless crimes, without the clear ideological differences I can't see any non-Spaniard being able to pick an a 'good' side. Is fighting against people who murder trade unionist worth fighting along side people who murder nuns?

You're right, El Pip. I can't make up my mind which side is less deserving of my blood, sweat, and tears.

You know, I will just stay here in America and work for...

Nathan Madien - I must confess having Wendell Willkie die a horrific and painful death is sorely tempting me, but I'm also toying with the idea of just not mentioning him, having him be just another businessman who went bankrupt during the Depression and then jumped of a building.

Guess I have to find a new boss, then. :(

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I had the same temptation when it came to Duncan Sandys. I didn't even bother to fight it and had him electrocuting himself whilst trying to fix a radio. :D

Reactions: