• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
MAKE BRTISH RAIL WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????
That is a perfect definition of an Oxymoron....... really. *shakes head*

Us Germans made our version of British Rail work. :D

Reactions:
Us Germans made our version of British Rail work. :D

For us Americans, our problem with our rail system is that...magically...we don't have the money to fix the decaying infrastructure system.

Reactions:
For us Americans, our problem with our rail system is that...magically...we don't have the money to fix the decaying infrastructure system.

...and not enough population density to make it run prosperously, except on the East coast...

C'mon, this is the age of Obama...apparently we can spend as much money as we want!

TheExecuter

• 1Like
Reactions:
C'mon, this is the age of Obama...apparently we can spend as much money as we want!

I'm trying hard not to make a snarky comment about one way the Obama administration plans on saving money.

But are northeast railways profitable? I tought New Jersey Transit was always broke.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm trying hard not to make a snarky comment about one way the Obama administration plans on saving money.

But are northeast railways profitable? I tought New Jersey Transit was always broke.

:D

I guess I meant that the conditions for prosperity on the east coast are such that railroads will actually TRY to make money, whereas in the more empty areas (the midwest anyone?) they don't even THINK ABOUT running service.

TheExecuter

Reactions:
We make Queensland Rail work! Huzzah, however they are selling off the most profitable bit... So remember Pip, get the government to make it profitable, then sell it! Don't run it into the ground then try and sell it!

Reactions:
Warning: Non Train related post!!!!!

Duritz - While I agree I don't think anyone will get too bothered about what the Rhodesian voting arrangements are, I think other Dominions might worry about London interfering in the internal matters of a fellow Dominion. As I understand it Australia was playing funny games with Aborigine voting rights, if London sets the precedent of being able to decide who can or can't vote in Dominion elections that might un-nerve a few Australian politicians.

Yes but lets not forget that Terra Nullius still applied in Australia, making the Aboriginal population an entirely different proposition to those African natives... or so the arguement will go. :eek:o

Sorry, I don't think we'd be worried. We just wouldn't see how it could possible apply to OUR Aboriginal population...

Dury

Reactions:
trekaddict - Of course I want to prevent British Rail, it was a moderately bad idea, badly implemented. It could perhaps have been made to work, but I doubt it. For whatever reason the British are incapable of making nationalised industries work, personally I suspect it's something deep seated in the national psyche but I'm open to other reasons.

However the Tories can't stay in power forever (and wont just to reassure my reading lefties ;) ) and TTL Labour Party still want everything nationalised, indeed with the TUC in charge nationalisation probably becomes an even bigger priority. So it could be messy.

Lord Strange - To be fair BR was lumbered with a destroyed asset base, politically chosen management, a heavily unionised workforce, a requirement to report to political overlords who had no idea about the industry and a complete lack of sensible political direction. It was always going to be a struggle.

Nathan Madien - It's not just the railways, if you have a look at the last American Society of Civil Engineer infrastructure report card the total backlog is well over $2 trillion. Even allowing for the fact they're probably over-estimating (bigger numbers look good and mean more work for their members) there are some quite scary numbers in there on safety and lack of inspections.

TheExecuter - Everyone knows the best way out of drowning in debt is to spend even more money. Then you can.... I dunno... go bankrupt?

Faeelin - Restraint? From you? Whatever next? :D

TheExecuter - That about nails it, lots of large population centres relatively close together and lots of commuters. Could work, probably wont. That said given the billions of dollars being chucked at new rail work in the area so Obama has decided your tax dollars will make it work.

In fact if you want a top tip for the next big cash bonfire my top tip would be New York's ARC (Access to the Regions Core) which my firm is doing some tunnel design for. At present the price tag is $9 billion for some so-so useful rail tunnel but I'll wager that will go up at least 50% before it's done, probably more.

Sir Humphrey - Really? I had a quick check of the QR online accounts and it looks like about 1/3rd of all income is 'Payment from government for transport services'. Sounds like a subsidy to me.

Whatever happens I can guarantee the government wont make it profitable, the Tories wouldn't nationalise it and Labour couldn't help themselves running it into the ground. :(

Duritz - Fair enough, I was just trying to stir up a bit of dissent and opposition to stop this being 'too good' for Britain. Clearly I will have to look elsewhere for problems. ;)

Reactions:
We make Queensland Rail work!

Unless it is the Tilt Train. Or the domestic rail network in Brisbane.

But we are good at transporting coal. Which is the part being sold.

Reactions:
Nathan Madien - It's not just the railways, if you have a look at the last American Society of Civil Engineer infrastructure report card the total backlog is well over $2 trillion. Even allowing for the fact they're probably over-estimating (bigger numbers look good and mean more work for their members) there are some quite scary numbers in there on safety and lack of inspections.

From what I have seen in the show "Life After People", things won't get much better when we are not here...nevermind when we are here.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Next update is.. oh about 3/4 done. A quick question though; How much interest is there in the deployments of the Royal Navy? Any requests for exhaustive detail, one sentence summary or something in between?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Fleet updates cant be detailed enough!

Reactions:
Next update is.. oh about 3/4 done. A quick question though; How much interest is there in the deployments of the Royal Navy? Any requests for exhaustive detail, one sentence summary or something in between?

How about summarising the global threat as seen by the Admiralty and present the deployments accordingly. I don't need to know that there are two battleships and a carrier in Singapore - I want to know why there are two battleships and a carrier in Singapore. And preferably some indications of war plans too!

Reactions:
How about summarising the global threat as seen by the Admiralty and present the deployments accordingly. I don't need to know that there are two battleships and a carrier in Singapore - I want to know why there are two battleships and a carrier in Singapore. And preferably some indications of war plans too!

Yes, that`s what I meant also, not simply a list of ships but also war plans of Admiralty, planned fleet reinforcement in case of war and etc.

• 1Like
Reactions:

I'd love a summary of TTL's War Memorandum (Eastern). Considering Italy is cowed and the Med secure (for now, unless France becomes a real worry) it would read much differently. How much can be sent east and still leave enough at home? Does finance allow a fleet to be stationed permanently in the FE?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Yes, I'd like to know...

...Exactly how His Majesty's government is selling off all those antique boats as well. :rofl:

I'd be even more keen on hearing how the Fleet Air Arm is coping and deploying in TTL. I mean, that's almost as much fun as hearing RAF detailed plans... :cool:

• 1Like
Reactions: