• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My first reaction to the Lorraine pic was "what an odd place to put spare tires; and they're too small?!?!"

The 2-pdr should do wonders for the Nationalists--for a while. Assuming the war drags on of course, this will lead to stronger Republican tanks, then the 6-pdr to the Nationalists, and so on.

Reactions:
Perhaps I'm becoming a bit used to weird things (hey, you should have met my former father-in-law), but I didn't find the Lorraine so odd.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nathan Madien - It's a bit bulky certainly and does look a bit unusual, but I do quite like it in a brutalist way. Not sure I'd like to go into combat in something with such a huge profile though! :eek:

C&D - I was unaware of Trado until now, so thanks for that. It looks a very cunning solution to the problem, I wonder what happened to it post war?

Kurt_Steiner - Of course the problem with that idea is doing it yourself means getting shot at. Getting other people to fight while you loaf about from a distance is far safer, even if it can be a bit frustrating.

Vann the Red - I'm not going to confirm the WoT angle, but you may be warm. ;)

caffran - I hope to be back pretty much full time, well as full time as I ever was. House buying continues to meander along and I will be off on holiday soon so don't expect more frequent posting. Maybe after the summer when/if I get my writing room in a new house.

DonnieBaseball - I wonder how many people at the time thought that the first time they saw it?

You've got the long term reaction right, the guns vs armour race has been escalated, but there will be some more attention grabbing short term consequences.

Kurt_Steiner - You can relax it's not just you, so at least you have company in being used to weird things. Not sure if that's any help, but it's the best I've got.

Reactions:
Kurt_Steiner - You can relax it's not just you, so at least you have company in being used to weird things. Not sure if that's any help, but it's the best I've got.

Don't worry. In the last few days I've met a lot of unconventional people :D

• 1Haha
Reactions:
C&D - I was unaware of Trado until now, so thanks for that. It looks a very cunning solution to the problem, I wonder what happened to it post war?

There's more information here.

After the war, it seems the suspension was used a few more times on American and British trucks left behind by their own armies. To solve the spare parts supply problem, they went through a bit of conversion by DAF. Though the end result of the conversion was a little disappointing because switching gears was needlessly complex and nullified the all-terrain capabilities of the suspension. But what do you expect from something fished out of the vehicle dump the Allies no longer wanted? The Germans liked the original models though. It was probably the only thing in their arsenal that wasn't completely turned to solid shit by the frozen wastland of Russia. Just the fuel in the gas tanks.

Reactions:
Kurt_Steiner - I know the feeling...

C&D - Interesting, the problem is I'm now trying to work out how to get something on Dutch trucks into the plot somehow.

Reactions:
C&D - Interesting, the problem is I'm now trying to work out how to get something on Dutch trucks into the plot somehow.

Well fortunately you don't have to rush yourself. The Trado system didn't start appearing until 1937, and the government really wanted everything they could get for their own artillery. Still, what with the alternate reality and British military recovery and the opportunity to make money in Spain, you never know. Spain IS rather mountainous.

Reactions:
As interesting as ever. And that French lorry seems odd, but not really surprising for a French design having played to much SWinSPWW2 and WinSPMBT over the years..

• 1Like
Reactions:
French (motor) dragoons supporting a progressive government, against the English (AT) gunners propping up a reactionary regime in Spain. Throw in Moore dying on the battlements of Corunna and I think we might be getting somewhere. Maybe this time it will be an ulcer for perfidious Albion instead.

Good to see married life has not impeded your output, El Pip. In fact, you seem to be faster than usual. More spare time on your hands than expected? Don't worry that will soon change. And you will learn to hate the word "Renovations"....

Reactions:
French (motor) dragoons supporting a progressive government, against the English (AT) gunners propping up a reactionary regime in Spain. Throw in Moore dying on the battlements of Corunna and I think we might be getting somewhere. Maybe this time it will be an ulcer for perfidious Albion instead.

Good to see married life has not impeded your output, El Pip. In fact, you seem to be faster than usual. More spare time on your hands than expected? Don't worry that will soon change. And you will learn to hate the word "Renovations"....

What's next I ask you! Sharpe on a Spanish Mk.VI Tank?

• 1Like
Reactions:
C&D - Well with Fokker blazing a trail in Spain it's possible DAF may decide to chance their arm. Sales from Spain could provide a reason to open new production lines, so the Dutch government get all the Trado units they want with some left over to sell to Spain. Something to ponder.

Sir Humphrey - The detail in WinSPWW2 is very impressive isn't it?

Davout - Interesting how 'progressive' always seems to be short hand for 'killing loads of innocent people'. You would have thought it would have become an insult by now, but somehow it hasn't.

That aside now you mention it things are looking quite Napoleonic aren't they? Diplomatically Spain already is an ulcer for Britain; isolated from most of Europe pretty much only Nazi Germany is friendly, and no-one in government is much in the mood to return the friendship.

I am slightly nervous about the actual house move, if/when it finally happens. I fear you may be correct about my free time vanishing into work on the house. It's a terrible prospect.

trekaddict - Sharpe with a No 4 Mk I (T) and Harper with a Bren more likely. Though with Anglo-Czech relations pretty poor I doubt there will be a Bren gun TTL...

Reactions:
Though with Anglo-Czech relations pretty poor I doubt there will be a Bren gun TTL...

Heresy! Blasphemy! A light machine gun that is belt fed!

• 1Like
Reactions:
trekaddict - Sharpe with a No 4 Mk I (T) and Harper with a Bren more likely. Though with Anglo-Czech relations pretty poor I doubt there will be a Bren gun TTL...

Industrial spionage is to be used, my old boy.

Reactions:

Do what I do: tie different plot points together with coherent-looking transititions.

Reactions:
So, has this AAR actually been going on longer than the war yet? :p

• 1Like
Reactions:

Harper with a Lewis gun. Suits the character more.

And as a HUGE Sharpe fan all I can say is that I really, really, really, really hope this happens :p

Although in a modern military I'm sure Sharpe would be promoted a lot quicker without the whole purchasing commisions thing around.

Reactions:
Hmm, I wonder how the French planners will react when facing a new more potent antitank gun? Adding more armor and better engine to their future designs seems like a logical first move.

Not to mention the more interesting political implications this move will naturally have as well.

Reactions:
trekaddict - Worry not, there is a cunning plan in place to ensure there will be something to replace the Lewis gun.

Kurt_Steiner - I considered Espionage but then decided to go for the high irony option instead. ;)

Nathan Madien - It's an idea, but I fear instead of the smooth results you get I will end up with a ham fisted mess. Transitions are not my strongest writing skill.

Atlantic Friend - I'll agree the Laffly V15s were definitely cool and probably the first of the Jeep type vehicles, but they did miss the main point of the Jeep - being cheap and simple. But then in 1930s France standardised and simple production was something that happened in other countries wasn't it? ;)

Arilou - Not yet, a few months to go yet. Glad to see you've retained your positive and supporting attitude though. :D

Agent Larkin - Hmm thinking about it Harper may be a better fit with a shotgun of some type, that's the modern equivalent of a Nock Gun. Plus of course no other bugger will have one so it will stand out as a mark of distinction.

Karelian - I'm not sure how France will go on this as it happens. They could decided to improve their tanks it's true, but equally they could say the H35 was a tank they didn't want being used in the wrong role so of course it will fail against modern AT guns.

The SOMUA S35 had thicker armour already and that was the tank the cavalry really wanted, the French army could therefore just use the arrival of the 2pdr as an argument to get more S35s and not think about changing anything.

Given the problems of mass production in France if the planners change the S35 there will be months of delay, so I'm leaning towards them keeping current designs unchanged just to get some tanks into service, but it could go either way really.

Reactions:
Is the replacement belt fed? The only thing I didn't like about the Bren was the small magazine size.

Reactions: