+ Reply to Thread
Page 196 of 229 FirstFirst ... 96 121 146 171 186 194 195 196 197 198 206 221 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,920 of 4577

Thread: The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR

Second Lieutenant
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The GloryMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane

Quote Originally Posted by Duritz View Post
    ...but the external pressures from Spanish superiors, Russian superiors and the civilian PSOE/PCE leadership would still be immense for the tanks to do SOMETHING! If it isn't charge across the bridge, then blow them up and head back towards Burgos but don't sit there doing nothing.
    You forget the default doctrine of every army on earth (including, if my personal memories of service with it serve, your own in Australia): "hurry up and wait".

A Failed Lurker

Lord of Slower-than-real-time El Pip's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiSword of the Stars

Duritz - The width of the salient is fairly wide, not due to any efforts from the Monarchists but because the area is fairly sparsely populated with towns. At this stage I'm imaging front lines in this part of Spain consisting of garrisoned towns rather than actual continuous lines. Take out a string of towns up a road and you eliminate the only enemy troops for scores of miles in any direction.

Going south will be tricky for the Soviets. After a quick look at the map the nearest river crossing still in their hands is ~20ish miles away as the crow flies, so a minimum of a 40 mile round trip. The monarchist fortress at Siguenza is only ~30 miles away and you can bet the 1st Armoured have called for reinforcements (as have the Soviets no doubt).

Where this a flat plain things would end badly for the Monarchist tankers, fortunately for them they are behind a river with very few crossings (probably less in 1937 than the modern maps show, but even I draw the line at going back to period Spanish maps to find out when certain bridges were built). They are going to be fine, any attack is only going to end with a great many dead lefties.

As part of my efforts to be fair I've tried to have the Republicans be at least occasionally be competent and avoid crippling themselves in stupid suicidal attacks. But if you keep this up I may be forced into a 'Charge of the International Brigades' just to keep you happy!

j'ordos - A commendably epic effort, you can congratulate yourself on having got through at least 180,000 words of update plus who knows how much else. Well done, and I'm glad you think it was worth it.

The next update will occur.. This week? I think I can see a free evening Thursday so I'm hoping to get one out then. But no promises I'm afraid.

sr999 - You may have failed at lurking, but you have succeed at commenting. Which is always a good thing for a writer to see. I must confess though my position is to assume Kurtie is already mad unless he can prove the contrary. Excellent point on Army doctrine though.

Following up on j'ordos' idea I think it is one again time for a poll on the next update. Once the second half of the tank update appears we will be leaving Spain temporarily, thus leaving the question of where. The options as I see them;

1) Peruvian-Ecuadorian border clashes
    2) Japan's poking everybody with sticks
    3) Franco-British industrial relations
    4) Something else I've promised to do at some point but have since forgotten
    5) The 'challenge the writer' option about something like tractors or beef production that will probably win.

Update options 2 and 3 are going to happen at some point for vital reasons of plot, so it's just a question of which of them I do first. However Latin American border clashes (and possibly more!) may or may not happen depending on the level of interest, so if it's not voted for it probably wont happen at all. And of course on past experience there will be an unusual suggestion that will end up winning!
    The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR - "An an insane project of terrifying detail". The finest slower-than-real-time AAR on the board. Updated 11th September Through adversity, to the sea(plane).

Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44 - The award winning characters Tiso and Tuka attempt to save Slovakia from defeat and destruction. Winner of Two AARland Choice Comedy Awards - Round 4 2011 and Q2 2014. Critical Realisitic Security Advice! News! Hangovers! Just another day in Bratislava for T&T. Updated 14th September.

Furious Vengeance - A 1944 UK AAR - My actual best work - Winner of the 2009 Iron HeAARt Award

The other works

Quote Originally Posted by El Pip View Post
    I vote for this option...just for the hell of it.
    "In America, anybody can be President. That's one of the risks you take."
    -Adlai Stevenson

The Presidents: The Vietnam War Edition
    President of the United States in 1962: Henry M. Jackson (Democrat-Washington)

Flt. Sergeant, Fighter Command RAFspeak's Avatar
    Darkest Hour

I shall vote for 2) and 5) combined, thusly; some ruddy fool has been spreading insane rumours that the Japanese are working on 'Wonder weapon' or 'Super science' airplanes. Its been foolishly put about, that the next generation of in-service Jap fighter will be able to fly twice as far, as fast, and out-turn the prototype Spitfire ...and be canon-armed and take off from an aircraft carrier to boot! Nonsense, of course, but it would certainly make one confident when poking people with sticks...

Keep up the jolly good work, El Pip, whichever course you steer us down next.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pip;12147304[B
    j'ordos[/B] - A commendably epic effort, you can congratulate yourself on having got through at least 180,000 words of update plus who knows how much else. Well done, and I'm glad you think it was worth it.

The next update will occur.. This week? I think I can see a free evening Thursday so I'm hoping to get one out then. But no promises I'm afraid.

5) The 'challenge the writer' option about something like tractors or beef production that will probably win.

Update options 2 and 3 are going to happen at some point for vital reasons of plot, so it's just a question of which of them I do first. However Latin American border clashes (and possibly more!) may or may not happen depending on the level of interest, so if it's not voted for it probably wont happen at all. And of course on past experience there will be an unusual suggestion that will end up winning!
    You just write one when you can and want, I wouldn't want you to get the idea that there's a tremendous pressure on you here. at least, officially
    Never thought I'd be in this position, but then I thought an AAR started in 2005 running for close to 200 pages would be closer to completion than this

Still one vote a day? We could combine 1) & 5)
    Peruvian-Ecuadorian border conflict featuring Czech tanks, Italian and US biplanes, and IOOPC oil? Too easy maybe, so we'll add cocoa and bananas to stay in the agricultural branch

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis IV

Industrial relations between Dustbowlers and home-working knitting groups in San Diego?
    "That's right, Adolf. The British are coming." - The Eleventh Doctor
    "My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
    Against all Odds: The British Empire in World War Two (ongoing) Last updated 09/22/14 Index - Index 2 - Index 3 - Knowledgebase -
    Inkwell Entry Visit the Dictionary!

Possibly the world's most British German as awarded by El Pip here.

I like (3), give a chance to see what Eden & Co. are up to.
    Last edited by DonnieBaseball; 02-03-2011 at 14:48.
    A whale is a shark built to Admiralty specifications.

Pantomacatalasecesionanis ta

Blog Entries
    3) I want to hear Eden shouting: "Will no one rid me of these turbulent Frenchies?"
    "Pequeño Padawan Kurtizacoal, por qué me has salido tan cabrón?" - me dijo mi Maestro.
    Palo Dixit: posible Anticristo, vacalentacialanonanista, Culé y Salido que provoca manifas por donde pasa.
    Palo Dixit redux: Escatológico bipolar

AARs en curso o acabados -Ongoing and finished HoI2 AARs-
    WritAAR of the Week:16-03-07/5-04-09/13-09-09/19-09-10/28-10-11 - Fan of the week 25-03-07/29-10-07/06-04-08/29-12-08/13-09-09 - Canonized 02-12-07 - Best Character WritAAR of the Week:03-04-09- Showcased 01-05-2010/10-12-2010 - Mi blog: Polvo de diamante (2) [Actualizado 20/11/2014]

Darkest HourEuropa Universalis III: In NomineVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j'ordos View Post
    Peruvian-Ecuadorian border conflict featuring Czech tanks, Italian and US biplanes, and IOOPC oil? Too easy maybe, so we'll add cocoa and bananas to stay in the agricultural branch
    Seconded - I want internationally supplied petroleum based regional warfare triggered by fruit tariffs. Its why we love you Pip.

General
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Semper Fi

2.) - with Hitler´s bluff checked, only Nippon and Soviet Union seem to be in position to stir up global trouble.
    Blue Max Alternate History Mod for Hearts of Iron 3

HoI AnthologyCities in MotionEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3For the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by El Pip View Post
    Duritz - The width of the salient is fairly wide, not due to any efforts from the Monarchists but because the area is fairly sparsely populated with towns. At this stage I'm imaging front lines in this part of Spain consisting of garrisoned towns rather than actual continuous lines. Take out a string of towns up a road and you eliminate the only enemy troops for scores of miles in any direction.

Going south will be tricky for the Soviets. After a quick look at the map the nearest river crossing still in their hands is ~20ish miles away as the crow flies, so a minimum of a 40 mile round trip. The monarchist fortress at Siguenza is only ~30 miles away and you can bet the 1st Armoured have called for reinforcements (as have the Soviets no doubt).

Where this a flat plain things would end badly for the Monarchist tankers, fortunately for them they are behind a river with very few crossings (probably less in 1937 than the modern maps show, but even I draw the line at going back to period Spanish maps to find out when certain bridges were built). They are going to be fine, any attack is only going to end with a great many dead lefties.

As part of my efforts to be fair I've tried to have the Republicans be at least occasionally be competent and avoid crippling themselves in stupid suicidal attacks. But if you keep this up I may be forced into a 'Charge of the International Brigades' just to keep you happy!
    Thank you for your explanation. Having studied Google maps extensively I can accept your arguments (but obviously I'll deny saying that if anyone asks). Very sporting of you to suggest Republicans get things right occasionally... especially given the modern US example!

Following up on j'ordos' idea I think it is one again time for a poll on the next update. Once the second half of the tank update appears we will be leaving Spain temporarily, thus leaving the question of where. The options as I see them;

I shall throw my support behind option 3... what a burden for it to carry...

Dury.
    The price of a memory is the memory of the sorrow it brings - Duritz

We have a great objective - the light on the hill - which we aim to reach by working for the betterment of mankind not only here but anywhere we may give a helping hand. If it were not for that, the Labour movement would not be worth fighting for. - Ben Chifley

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth, more than ruin, more even than death... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. - Bertrand Russell

5) gets my vote, and I challenge Pip to write on the military value of windmills.

The military applications of the windmill are oft ignored, which is a shame. Because how else do we grind wheat to make flour with which to bake bread? Guns and butter are useless if you have no bread to go with them. And how else do you maintain a water canal to slow the advance of invading enemies if you cannot use electric or diesel fueled pumps? That's when you build a windmill! Who knows? One day windmills may power the top secret {CLASSIFIED} machine located in {CLASSIFIED} the {CLASSIFIED} use to decipher {CLASSIFIED} {CLASSIFIED}! Windmill technology needs to be taken into account.
    While I have no doubt that the Dutch are in possession of the most advanced windmills used in an infrastructural role, let's not also forget the Spanish sucesses in their military applications. In particular, how in La Mancha the windmills provide an insurmountable boon to the defenders, as opposing forces constantly seek to conquer them and keep being repulsed by them. Truly the windmill is the fortress of the 20th century!

And hereby also propose all landforts in HoI be changed into windmills. Furthermore, every windmill in a province provides free energy resources to the controller, increased manpower production modifier, free supplies, and grants that province the 'river' terrain modifier on top of their normal defence modifier.

Quote Originally Posted by C&D View Post
    5) gets my vote, and I challenge Pip to write on the military value of windmills.
    Ok, I think that gets my vote, +1 for the windmills!

Lord of Slower-than-real-time El Pip's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiSword of the Stars

So the current standings

1) Peruvian-Ecuadorian border clashes - 3 Votes + Agricultural and oil based japery
    2) Japan's poking everybody with sticks - 2 Votes + irrational fear of the Zero
    3) Franco-British industrial relations - 4 Votes
    4) Something else I've promised to do at some point but have since forgotten - No Votes or Nominations - Eliminated
    5) The 'challenge the writer' option about something like tractors or beef production that will probably win. - Windmills - 2 Votes, San Diego Dustbowlers vs Home Knitting - 1 Vote

So it looks like Franco-British relations in the lead, followed closely by South American warfare fuelled by the agro-oil complex with Japan poking things with sticks tied in third with windmills. The outside choice of dustbowlers vs knitting is probably going to get eliminated as it would be horrifically dull. I think I could do it, but it would be boring.
    The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR - "An an insane project of terrifying detail". The finest slower-than-real-time AAR on the board. Updated 11th September Through adversity, to the sea(plane).

Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44 - The award winning characters Tiso and Tuka attempt to save Slovakia from defeat and destruction. Winner of Two AARland Choice Comedy Awards - Round 4 2011 and Q2 2014. Critical Realisitic Security Advice! News! Hangovers! Just another day in Bratislava for T&T. Updated 14th September.

Furious Vengeance - A 1944 UK AAR - My actual best work - Winner of the 2009 Iron HeAARt Award

The other works

Can we still vote several times?

EDIT - If yes, put down another vote for Anglo-french industrial relations.

Anther vote for Anglo-French industrial relations.
    A whale is a shark built to Admiralty specifications.

And another vote for windmills!

HoI AnthologyCities in MotionEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3For the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

Another vote for Anglo-French industrial relations!
    The price of a memory is the memory of the sorrow it brings - Duritz

We have a great objective - the light on the hill - which we aim to reach by working for the betterment of mankind not only here but anywhere we may give a helping hand. If it were not for that, the Labour movement would not be worth fighting for. - Ben Chifley

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth, more than ruin, more even than death... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. - Bertrand Russell

The true challenge would be to tie in the windmills with the peruvian-ecuadorian border conflict (where the other side would be at a severe (dis?)advantage since they use only watermills)

+1 Latin America

+ Reply to Thread