+ Reply to Thread
Page 160 of 229 FirstFirst ... 60 85 110 135 150 158 159 160 161 162 170 185 210 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,200 of 4577

Thread: The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR

  1. #3181
    Field Marshal Nathan Madien's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boynton Beach, Florida
    Posts
    4,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Davout View Post
    - Iceland gets back at the UK for ruining its economy by sending an ash cloud. I am hoping Gordon Brown directs all the British tourists to gather at Dunkirk so that they could be evacuated by "the little boats" for the 70th anniversary;
    Of course, the British could re-occupy Iceland and then transfer Iceland over to America. Then everyone can blame America for shutting down Europe.
    "In America, anybody can be President. That's one of the risks you take."
    -Adlai Stevenson

    The Presidents: The Vietnam War Edition
    President of the United States in 1962: Henry M. Jackson (Democrat-Washington)

  2. #3182
    British Unionist trekaddict's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Dalek Empire
    Posts
    9,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Madien View Post
    Of course, the British could re-occupy Iceland and then transfer Iceland over to America. Then everyone can blame America for shutting down Europe.
    We'll do that anyway.
    "My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
    Against all Odds: The British Empire in World War Two (ongoing) Last updated 12/16/14 Index - Index 2 - Index 3 - Knowledgebase -
    Inkwell Entry Visit the Dictionary!

    Possibly the world's most British German as awarded by El Pip here.

  3. #3183
    Quote Originally Posted by Davout View Post
    - Iceland gets back at the UK for ruining its economy by sending an ash cloud. I am hoping Gordon Brown directs all the British tourists to gather at Dunkirk so that they could be evacuated by "the little boats" for the 70th anniversary;
    Actually, Iceland also screwed over its friends like Sweden and Norway by shutting down traffic to their airports as well. Icelanders are just real dicks in how they treat those who haven't wronged them.

  4. #3184
    Major Zeldar155's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteHeir to the Throne

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Federal Norwegian Republic,EU
    Posts
    607
    Actully, norwegians opened all their airports today. But that wont last long i guess..

  5. #3185
    It's a conspiracy by the UK gov to reduce the working man to peasant status. More later!
    Earth Needs You!
    OPERATION BLUE DANUBE, (It's still a thing)

  6. #3186
    Field Marshal Vann the Red's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III500k club

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    2,507
    Mmm... Tank pron. Yummy. It's amazing the mess one can create when one writes specifications without more than the foggiest notion how one wants to use the product.

    Vann
    "Don't hit if it can be honorably avoided, but never hit softly." --Theodore Roosevelt

  7. #3187
    Quote Originally Posted by Davout View Post
    So much to talk about over the last week:
    - I am hoping Gordon Brown directs all the British tourists to gather at Dunkirk so that they could be evacuated by "the little boats" for the 70th anniversary;
    Sorry, France will not allow little ships:

    http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/p...s-rescu-1.html

    So Brown is sending the RN:

    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7900c562-4...44feab49a.html
    A whale is a shark built to Admiralty specifications.

  8. #3188
    Earth Needs You!
    OPERATION BLUE DANUBE, (It's still a thing)

  9. #3189
    Alien Space Bat PrawnStar's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2EU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Leicester, England
    Posts
    3,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Davout View Post
    Amy Pond and space Spitfires. It's a tough choice which one I want to know carnally first
    Go for Amy Pond, you'll never beat trekaddict to the Spits


    Apparently I need to buy some more gravel.


    My AARs: EU3 England, Golden Horde, France, Iroquois, Castile / EU2 Finland / My Inkwell

    "Sunset Invasion isn't ASB - it's just Prawnstar playing CK2" Athalcor
    "If EU3 had exiled prawn-like aliens he'd be the first one to do a WC with them..." aldriq
    "You were prawn under a conquering stAAR!" Arakhor



  10. #3190
    Quote Originally Posted by PrawnStar View Post
    Go for Amy Pond, you'll never beat trekaddict to the Spits
    Also, you can laugh when he's choking on motor oil....

    Oh, and a gift.
    Earth Needs You!
    OPERATION BLUE DANUBE, (It's still a thing)

  11. #3191
    VC, MC and bar Duritz's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyCities in MotionEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3For the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,434
    Still waiting for that Republican Spain update.

    I've tried to be good. I haven't spammed lately... I haven't even snapped back at the anti Labour comments...

    Please reward me with Anarcho-Syndicate militia victories in Catalunya... perhaps a smattering of Basque defensive efforts and, if you're really nice, maybe even a successful counterattack on the Madrid front by the People's Army of Spain... all backed by a steady stream of French supplies and equipment pouring over the border to the Democratic, Left leaning, legitimate central government of Spain.

    Dury.
    The price of a memory is the memory of the sorrow it brings - Duritz

    We have a great objective - the light on the hill - which we aim to reach by working for the betterment of mankind not only here but anywhere we may give a helping hand. If it were not for that, the Labour movement would not be worth fighting for. - Ben Chifley

    Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth, more than ruin, more even than death... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. - Bertrand Russell

  12. #3192
    Major Kasakka's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    At the river Don, Cossack Federation
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by Duritz View Post
    Still waiting for that Republican Spain update.

    I've tried to be good. I haven't spammed lately... I haven't even snapped back at the anti Labour comments...

    Please reward me with Anarcho-Syndicate militia victories in Catalunya... perhaps a smattering of Basque defensive efforts and, if you're really nice, maybe even a successful counterattack on the Madrid front by the People's Army of Spain... all backed by a steady stream of French supplies and equipment pouring over the border to the Democratic, Left leaning, legitimate central government of Spain.

    Dury.
    ...with as few as possible murders by the NKVD and no Andre Marty summarily executing thousands of IB volunteers. And the POUM and FAI-CNT getting some supplies as well, even without their leaders having to burn their party membership papers publicly and denounce their principles in order to get bullets from the government.
    Support Tibetan, support Basque, support Catalan, support Chechnyan, Québécois, Tamili, Acehian, Kurdish and Kosovian independence!
    Free country for all who want one, dammit.

    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

  13. #3193
    saw what you did there Davout's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEU3 Complete
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    1,639
    Quote Originally Posted by C&D View Post
    Actually, Iceland also screwed over its friends like Sweden and Norway by shutting down traffic to their airports as well. Icelanders are just real dicks in how they treat those who haven't wronged them.
    Iceland did give us Emiliana Torrini and Sigur Ros so I am not wholly against them but they also gave us Bjork so I'm not too happy with them either.

    Duritz

    Dear Santa

    Please reward me with Anarcho-Syndicate militia victories in Catalunya... perhaps a smattering of Basque defensive efforts and, if you're really nice, maybe even a successful counterattack on the Madrid front by the People's Army of Spain... all backed by a steady stream of French supplies and equipment pouring over the border to the Democratic, Left leaning, legitimate central government of Spain.

    Dury.
    Fixed, although I think I am more likely to hook up with Karen Gillan before your wishlist ever comes true.
    Fan of the Week 22 February 2010 - Role PlayAAR of the Month March 2014

    Indies -The AAR which refuses to sell out. Featured on Weekly AAR Showcase 21 July 2010 (Still writing Episode 4 "A New Hope" - the Flux will be with you)

    Marshal Nikolai Fedorovich Vatutin, Chief of Stavka, in Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo Admin thread and Update thread.
    Etienne Burke, son of Frederic Burke, Prime Minister of Belgium during the Great War 1904-1907 and son of Edmund Burke, Commerce Minister 1866-1886 and son of Patrice "Bulwark" Burke, Former Chief of Staff of Belgium, Edge of Europe - an interactive AAR of ThunderHawk3
    Adolf von Arnim-Boitzenburg, Proud Imperialist in Sonderweg oder Anderweg - An interactive AAR in the Hohenzollerns megacampaign

  14. #3194
    Field Marshal Nathan Madien's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boynton Beach, Florida
    Posts
    4,222
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiserMuffin View Post
    It's funny how history is seemingly repeating itself.
    "In America, anybody can be President. That's one of the risks you take."
    -Adlai Stevenson

    The Presidents: The Vietnam War Edition
    President of the United States in 1962: Henry M. Jackson (Democrat-Washington)

  15. #3195
    VC, MC and bar Duritz's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyCities in MotionEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3For the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasakka View Post
    ...with as few as possible murders by the NKVD and no Andre Marty summarily executing thousands of IB volunteers. And the POUM and FAI-CNT getting some supplies as well, even without their leaders having to burn their party membership papers publicly and denounce their principles in order to get bullets from the government.
    Well naturally, that too!

    I also want to see Prieto not convince the government that moving the gold reserve to Moscow is a good idea; and the Communists not break up the Anarchist backed collective farms in Catalunya to help erode their rival's power...

    The thing is that if France backs the Republicans then the Spanish Communists don't get to have their own way just by bringing out the threat, "If you don't do what we want the USSR will stop all aid!" If the French come to the party then the moderates can just tell them to shove it up their gulags and not be held to ransom!

    It also opens the door to Mexican imports that were historically stopped by the Non Intervention naval intervention.

    Hey, we may even see some military operations based on a strategic rather than propoganda basis!

    Surely I'm not asking too much...

    Dury.
    The price of a memory is the memory of the sorrow it brings - Duritz

    We have a great objective - the light on the hill - which we aim to reach by working for the betterment of mankind not only here but anywhere we may give a helping hand. If it were not for that, the Labour movement would not be worth fighting for. - Ben Chifley

    Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth, more than ruin, more even than death... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. - Bertrand Russell

  16. #3196
    The Republican Spanish seems a misnoma. A collections of antis, separatists,
    Anarchists and Communists without a true coherent political agenda or a leadership actually interested in Democracy - one reason the French would not back it.

  17. #3197
    Major Kasakka's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    At the river Don, Cossack Federation
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Ragusa View Post
    The Republican Spanish seems a misnoma. A collections of antis, separatists,
    Anarchists and Communists without a true coherent political agenda or a leadership actually interested in Democracy - one reason the French would not back it.
    The main reason being the cowardice and short-sighted "peace politics" of both them and the British. Not forgetting the strong sympathies the British upper class had with the "traditional monarchists" as the Francoists were sold to them. The French wouldn't dare to do anything the British wouldn't support, and so they both bowed to everything Italians and Germans asked or demanded for, which resulted in the disgusting situation of the legitimate government of sovereign nation being blockaded while trying to defend against a military coup.

    The Popular Front was indeed democratically elected, so defending democracy pretty much was what they were doing, and since the leadership of said government was naturally rather interested in holding their positions you can hardly blame them of being uninterested in democracy, no?

    Even though the communists and anarchists weren't similarly interested of democratic principles, the communists were only a minor factor and wouldn't have had much impact had the Spanish Republic been internationally treated even equally with the Nationalists, not to mention supported by Western democracies.
    And the anarchists were certainly no threat to it, being interested mainly in social and economical reforms and self-governance of their communes and Catalonia.

    But sure me and Dury both know things will not go as good as they should have, not even in this AAR...
    Support Tibetan, support Basque, support Catalan, support Chechnyan, Québécois, Tamili, Acehian, Kurdish and Kosovian independence!
    Free country for all who want one, dammit.

    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

  18. #3198
    Field Marshal Nathan Madien's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boynton Beach, Florida
    Posts
    4,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasakka View Post
    The main reason being the cowardice and short-sighted "peace politics" of both them and the British. Not forgetting the strong sympathies the British upper class had with the "traditional monarchists" as the Francoists were sold to them. The French wouldn't dare to do anything the British wouldn't support, and so they both bowed to everything Italians and Germans asked or demanded for, which resulted in the disgusting situation of the legitimate government of sovereign nation being blockaded while trying to defend against a military coup.

    The Popular Front was indeed democratically elected, so defending democracy pretty much was what they were doing, and since the leadership of said government was naturally rather interested in holding their positions you can hardly blame them of being uninterested in democracy, no?

    Even though the communists and anarchists weren't similarly interested of democratic principles, the communists were only a minor factor and wouldn't have had much impact had the Spanish Republic been internationally treated even equally with the Nationalists, not to mention supported by Western democracies.
    And the anarchists were certainly no threat to it, being interested mainly in social and economical reforms and self-governance of their communes and Catalonia.
    What kind of difference would British and French support for Republican Spain make?
    "In America, anybody can be President. That's one of the risks you take."
    -Adlai Stevenson

    The Presidents: The Vietnam War Edition
    President of the United States in 1962: Henry M. Jackson (Democrat-Washington)

  19. #3199
    Major Kasakka's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    At the river Don, Cossack Federation
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Madien View Post
    What kind of difference would British and French support for Republican Spain make?
    It would
    1. dramatically reduce the influence USSR and their subordinate PCE had on the government and society, thus resulting in significantly more efficient and less politicized conduct of the war,

    2.for the reasons mentioned help to keep the home front unified and concentrated on winning the war. It seems like destroying the anarchists, "trotskyists", Catalonian&Basque nationalists and all kinds of political enemies was for them almost more important than defeating Franco, and also resulted in horrible policical persecution and suffering behind the lines, reducing the morale both at the front and behind it,

    3.mean that the French border would not be closed, making it possible for the Republicans to trade without the Italian and German (and sometimes even British) naval harrasment,

    4.make it clear to the world that England and France are going to support democracy against the rising tide of international fascism, thus perhaps making Hitler less eager to run rampant in Austria and Czechoslovakia - this he was able to do mainly because he could rely on the fact the British and the French wouldn't dare to oppose him,

    5.get an important ally into the Allied camp in WW II,

    6.gain the experience of modern warfare in European theatre for their armies, something that helped the Germans quite a lot in their development of air and armoured forces.
    Support Tibetan, support Basque, support Catalan, support Chechnyan, Québécois, Tamili, Acehian, Kurdish and Kosovian independence!
    Free country for all who want one, dammit.

    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

  20. #3200
    The money for the popular Front's electoral success came from Moscow. That put the communists in the driving seat. Their leaders were merely being used. Their troops came from the separatists, anarchists and communists. None of these factions interested the French and British. Not even with a barge pole.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts