• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
fj44 said:
FlorisDeVijfde: It is? I don't speak Japanese, myself, but one would think that one word is easier to say than three. ;)
I don't speak Japanese either, it's just from our Germanic languages point of view Ieyoshi is difficult :D

Somehow, I think The Shogun will be able to handle another rebellion. Surely he is used to them by now. Must be old hat. ;)

How much mind do those in charge of Japan pay to countries outside of the islands? I know there is an awareness of Europeans and Christians, but they seem to be in their own world, worried about rebellions, etc.

They say that an outside threat draws internal enemies together (sometimes). I wonder what external threat might come in the next few years, if any?

Rensslaer

FlorisDeVijfde: Is it? :eek: :p

That little section was also from 'our Germanic languages' point of view. Though, Ieyoshi was also trying to regain the familiarity he had with Mizuno, and forcing Mizuno to use his first name, as opposed to his title, is part of that.

coz1: Both he and I are quite used to them. :p My special events make it interesting, but the rebels are getting a bit old. :(

Rensslaer: The Japanese were aware of the foreign powers able to exert power on their islands. The Dutch, the excellent traders that they were, managed to convince the Shogun to let them trade in Nagasaki. The reason why the Dutch submitted to this, was because otherwise, the Japanese wouldn't let them trade at all.

In other respects, the Japanese view on foreigners were similar to those of tribal Afghanistan or of the Central Asian Khanates. That is, until Perry. :D

Did you think that I would give away what external threats are looming? ;) I will tell you this, however. It's not who you would think it is.

Thanks all for reading. Another update will be posted, as soon as I'm finished writing it. :D

September 25, 1839

After a week of preaching to the citizens of Sapporo, Date had finally gained traction. The townsfolk had initially been suspicious of his motives. They were an independent lot, who refused authority. The last time his ancestors had ruled these people was three generations ago. That had ended badly.

Still, they were willing to listen, albeit cautiously. That was progress. He grimaced at the wind cutting through his cloak. He was getting too old to spend hours in the cold like this. That servant, what was his name? Matabe? Yes, that was it. He had potential, and was completely wasted as a servant. Too bad he were not higher born. Still, perhaps he could be used as an emissary or as a spy?

Ah, yes, the man had potential. That incident just last week was proof enough.

Takase strode down the road, towards the village of Sureiku, just ten kilometers north of Sapporo. He whistled to himself to help the journey seem shorter. Horses were only for the noble-born. He still did not completely understand why he was out here. He had a message he was supposed to deliver to a Goto Miguno. Why was this task given to him? Any of the Daimyo’s couriers were perfectly competent for a task such as this.

Shaking his head, he felt an urge of nature, and left the path for the copse of trees just off the road. He was a mere six feet from the road, completely concealed in the trees.

A couple minutes later, Takase prepared to return to the path, when he heard hushed voices from the road. He stopped moving instantly, and dropped to his knees behind a tree.

“Yes, the Daimyo’s man was supposed to be coming this way.”

“Are you certain? We should have found him by now. The boss won’t be happy if we cannot find him.”

“Don’t worry, I’m sure he’s around the next bend.”

“You better be, because we have to get back before nightfall.”

They moved on, and Takase managed a peek from behind the tree. They looked like farmers. Could they be a welcoming party? Takase thought for a moment. No, why would a welcoming party come out to meet a mere courier? Someone wanted him dead. This realization struck Takase to the core. Dying for the shogun was one thing. Dying by the side of the road by a peasant’s hands was quite different.

When the peasants were out of sight, he raced to the village, and delivered his letter. He made sure to take a different route back.

I started to get bad feeling midway through the update, and I think that was confirmed at the end. That was no welcoming party...at least not a friendly one.

Alright, folks, now that I've finished coding the ... interesting ... upcoming event chain, I can work on the next update. :D

Should be up tonight. Thanks for commenting, all.

October 11, 1839

Tanaka stood in front of the soldier who looked at him suspiciously. He tried to look innocent, realized it wasn’t working, and gave himself over to bluntness.

“Now look, here, underofficer. I have returned from a mission for the shogun. He won’t be happy if I am late bringing him this news.”

“Sir, you have not provided any identification. None of the men here know who you are, and so, I’m afraid we can’t let you through.”

Tanaka growled to himself. He probably should have brought Matanabe along. Young Ichiro was proving to be quite adept at forcing people to get out of his way. Hardly Christian, but one used what tools the Lord provided.

“Underofficer, could I leave this message with you, if you could get it to the attention of the Shogun.” The underofficer took it, and began to study it. Curses! The man could read!? His staff swung in a short arc, cracking the man’s head. He dropped. The other sentries tried to draw their weapons, but Tanaka ran through the camp entrance.

Well, the alarm had been sounded, but Ieyoshi should be in that tent there. He ducked left, behind a large grey tent. Just in time. The guards were running around like a disturbed anthill. Taking another glance around the side, he saw his chance. Tanaka bullrushed the single unprepared guard, and fell, sprawled in front of the Shogun.

“Tanaka?”

“My Lord Shogun.”

“I see you decided to…drop in?” One of the faint smiles for which Ieyoshi was known so well crept onto his features.

“You may want to distribute my description to all of your guards, or I’ll keep finding ways into your camp.” Tanaka adopted a grin.

“Indeed. Tanaka, you don’t have to remain prostrate before me. I am not the Emperor, you know.”

Tanaka chuckled a bit at that. “Well, Ieyoshi, I have finished my survey of the population under Date’s influence.” He stood up, brushing himself off. Tanaka sat down in the corner, on top of one of the shogun’s cushions. “It is not good. I believe we may lose everything north of Akita.”

A commotion erupted from outside the tent. “A second, Tanaka. I have to end the ruckus your assault on the encampment created.” Ieyoshi stood, and strode to the tent entrance.

“Soldiers, go back to your duties. The infiltrator is one of my agents.” Ieyoshi strode back to his desk, and sat down. “Now, Tanaka, you were saying?”

“Yes, Ieyoshi. Date has finally convinced the people that the Emperor has denounced you in secret, and is being held captive by your men.”

“And they believe this?”

“Completely. Unless some loyal troops are deployed soon, we may lose all of Hokkaido to Date.”

“Interesting. Well, you may now resume your normal duties, Tanaka. The thanks of Japan go with you.”

“My Lord Shogun.” Tanaka inclined his head. “I’m serious about the guards. I don’t want to have to break in again.”

“That will be dealt with. Good day, Tanaka.”

“The Lord bless you, honorable shogun.” With that, Tanaka strode out, leaving Ieyoshi shaking his head.

northjapanrebelscustom28yd.png

Goodness, the revolt is spreading fast! See, this is why I could never play Nippon/Japan. I just get tired of dealing with all that rebellion all the time.

coz1 said:
Goodness, the revolt is spreading fast! See, this is why I could never play Nippon/Japan. I just get tired of dealing with all that rebellion all the time.
That's actually a problem with the events I scripted. The increase RR event increases it for every POP. The decrease one only drops it for Japanese. Therefore I have mil. 9-10 Ainu POPs running around. :D

Vicky Japan actually has no rebel issues. It's EU2 Japan you don't want to come close to. ;)

Remember, all my rebel issues are self-inflicted via custom event. Just to keep it interesting. :cool:

Thanks for reading coz1, and all those who haven't had the chance to comment yet. :p

The answer to that will always be an emphatic "Yes." :)

fj44 said:
Hmmm. Should I update? :cool:
((Frowns... Rummages for his haiku...)) "Where did I stuff that stupid...?"

Sorry I've been away, FJ! I keep trying to read unfamiliar AARs for the voting, and I'm falling behind on the ones I follow!!! :wacko:

FJ, I love your sense of humor! The situational humor in this -- so subtle, sometimes, absurd at others -- is just so endearing to my tastes!

"Curses! The man can read" ((whirls staff)) :rofl:

Go on, Good Sir!

Rensslaer

Sorry it's taken me so long to update. Four tests this week combined with this forum being down conspired to slow me down. Well, the answer to my earlier question has been answered. With an "emphatic yes", no less. :D

So, without further ado, rhetoric, or other time wasting, here's the update, so I can get back to studying. :( :cool:

Last edited:
Excerpt from Fujiwara Hansu’s The Dawn of the Rising Sun: Japan in the XIXth Century

From September of 1839 through February of 1841, Japan was wracked by rebellions. The rumors of Christians being tolerated by the Shogun prompted widespread discontent amongst the conservatives, especially the peasants, who had been taught for generations that Christians brought instability. The riots by the peasantry and the insurrection by the rogue daimyo were not overwhelming, as these disturbances reached their statistical height in October 1839. No, the cause of the Hokkaido Rebellion is far more complex than that.

The first substantiated reports of Sobe Tenryu’s arrival in Hokkaido came in April 1839. Within days, rumors spread like wildfire about him. Some claimed that Tenryu had healed the blind. Others believed that he had stopped a mumps outbreak near Sapporo. All believed him to be a holy man. He remained unmolested by the authorities for months, as his teachings were not violent, and he kept the minority Ainu peaceful.

The Ainu had long been ruled by the Japanese, and enjoyed their Japanese citizenship. Throughout the hundreds of years of Japanese rule, the Ainu retained their tribal structure and customs. Their Japanese overlords let the Ainu remain a nation within a nation, as the stability of Nippon was enhanced by the Ainu support of the Emperor as the High Chief of the Ainu.

Though there was overwhelming loyalty to the Emperor, there was little to the Shogun, who was rightly viewed as an interloper who claimed to speak for the Emperor, while furthering his own goals. The news of the Shogun’s troubles, though not greeted with glee, was greeted as a sign that soon, the ancient Ainu prophecies would be fulfilled. These prophecies, passed down in the oral tradition from generation to generation, were quite dangerous to the Shogun, had he known about them.

The prophecies held that eventually a holy man would emerge from among the Ainu, who would bring a new set of beliefs to the tribes, preparing the tribes for the end of the world. This holy man would mark the end of the Shogunate’s dominion over the Ainu and their Japanese neighbors. The suppressed Emperor would regain his power, and ule in partnership with His people.

Some contemporary scholars have recently contended that this prophecy has happened, in a certain manner. Others believe that the whole prophecy was a fraud invented after Tenryu’s death to immortalize him, and thus provide a religious basis for the great rebellion of 1840. We shall likely never know, however, this prophecy, like that of Jesus Christ or Muhammed’s teachings, changed the world.

In Komarov’s Great Events of the Last Milennium, he lists the Great Rebellion as the third most important geopolitical event in the last thousand years. However, some historians do not place nearly as much emphasis on this event as Komarov. Goto’s The Influence of Eastern Civilization on the Globe attributes the rise of Japan to Prince Osahito’s attempted coup combined with the Nagasaki Bridge conflict. These events had a great influence on Japanese development; however, the Great Rebellion sowed the seeds of greatness amongst the Japanese people. The incident on Nagasaki Bridge was merely the harvest of this crop.

Well, if anything, it has to embolden the Emperor and cause some fear for the Shogun - true or not.

And I like the history book entry to assist with explaining what is happening during the narrative.

fj44 said:
In Komarov’s Great Events of the Last Milennium, he lists the Great Rebellion as the third most important geopolitical event in the last thousand years. However, some historians do not place nearly as much emphasis on this event as Komarov. Goto’s The Influence of Eastern Civilization on the Globe attributes the rise of Japan to Prince Osahito’s attempted coup combined with the Nagasaki Bridge conflict. These events had a great influence on Japanese development; however, the Great Rebellion sowed the seeds of greatness amongst the Japanese people. The incident on Nagasaki Bridge was merely the harvest of this crop.
Ooh! This paragraph gave me shivers of expectation!!! :eek:

Looking forward to more!

Rensslaer

coz1: Indeed it will. That's some of the more subtle foreshadowing.

Rennslaer: You liked that paragraph, didn't you? :D

Reminds me of someone else's AAR. Hmmm... ;)

This update was built to throw loads of what ifs out there for the reader. This AAR will be taking a small break until after finals, which end the first week of May. However, as a parting gift, I'll find time for the writing of one more update this weekend.

Many thanks to Rensslaer and coz1 for your comments. Also many thanks to my lurkers. I know you're out there. I appreciate it. Update should come within the next day or so. Perhaps even later tonight.

November 2, 1839

Prince Osahito scowled through his helmet at the weather. He had felt the cold leak in the back of his cloak an hour ago, and the rain wasn’t stopping. He had just returned from his secret journey to Hokkaido. Only his closest bodyguards knew where he had gone. He had even spread the rumor that he was going back to his estates to rest, and didn’t want to be disturbed.

The shogun would not believe him. Ieyoshi was not stupid. Unfortunately, those ugly rumors about his father being used as a puppet by the shogun would not go away. Seeking to clear the air, he had left for Hokkaido to visit a man named Matanabe. Now that had been an interesting conversation.

For the past two years, Osahito had been completely convinced that Ieyoshi was right, and Japan needed reforms. He supported the shogun ideologically. He opposed him from a balance of power perspective. This concept of balance of power both in foreign and domestic affairs had never been a concrete policy before. True, the daimyo had banded together against strong emperors and shogun in the past, but this was different.

Ieyoshi had become extremely powerful. So powerful, as to become the enemy of the rest of the Japanese power structure. His father was impotent, a mere puppet, with no real power. First Takeda’s and then Date’s defection had weakened the Council of Daimyo. The people were fanatically devoted to Ieyoshi. The army was the only element strong enough and loyal enough to the imperial house to do anything. The army was mixed, however.

Many of the levies from Ieyoshi’s war with Takeda had not yet been disbanded. These troops were becoming unhappy, as harvest had come and went without being permitted to return to their homes. Their families would have done what they could, but it would still be a bad, hungry winter. This discontent would have to be the way to bring down Ieyoshi.

The Imperial Guards would march for him, however, the Shogun’s Own would not. It would be difficult to execute the necessary coup, as Osahito did not want civil war. That would be worse than leaving Ieyoshi in power.

He rode into Kyoto, glancing at the guardsmen. Upon a sudden thought, he turned from the road towards the Imperial Palace and his men to the one leading to the slums and the marketplace. Information could be gleaned without going far.

Before he had gone two paces off the normal path, an underofficer bearing Ieyoshi’s emblem on his cloak stopped him.

“Sir. A word, if you will?”

“Yes?”

“The shogun wishes to speak with you. Now.” Eight other soldiers walked up from all directions.

“I have come to speak with His Imperial Majesty. Then, I will speak with the Shogun.”

“The Shogun left me no flexibility in my orders. You must come with us. He prefers unharmed, but if necessary we will use force.”

Osahito spared a glance at the surrounding houses. Imperial Guardsmen. Finally. He then looked right into the underofficer’s face. “Underofficer, your life is in jeopardy. I suggest you surrender yourself now, or you and all your men will die right here, and right now.”

The underofficer smiled. He gestured to his men. “I think not.” Then he began to draw his sword. Osahito ducked in a roll, to get outside the circle. The circle of the Shogun’s soldiers collapsed under a hail of musketry from the Guardsmen. The underofficer looked at Osahito in surprise. “How?” he gasped.

“It is said that all great men make their own luck. Thank you. You made an important decision for me.” With that, he walked off towards the Palace, planning.

I miss chess. :rolleyes: I suppose the local equivalent would be Go, or something. I used to be reasonably good, and could think 3-4 moves ahead.

It's good that the young Prince knows to think ahead. :D Course... I'm rather fond of the Shogun. Perhaps accomodations can be made.

Nice job!

Rensslaer