• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Talk about having a strong boss behind you. I doubt the Daimyo will this insult easily.

fj44, nice AAR. Since I'm at the moment on an internship in a research institute in Otsu, a few kilometers east of Kyoto, you can imagine I will be reading this story with great interest. Having visited the castles of Himeji, Hikone, Osaka and of course Nijo in Kyoto (residence of the Shogun), and starting each morning with watching Samurai-series on Japanese TV :D I have to say I'm happy your doing such a good job on describing the scenes and making them noteworthy. Keep it up!

Already looking forward to 1867 ;)

subscribed

FJ44,

Got an advance look at your AARLand Advocate article. Looks good!

Hope your exams are going well!

Renss

I'm Alive!!!

Wookiee: Thanks

coz1: "A man who serves two masters serves no one". :D
Just reporting what some of my voracious readAARs were telling me. You see, I have them hooked. They'll be back. ;)

Rensslaer: Maybe. It wasn't intended that way, but perhaps it was my subconcious talking. :cool:

Jordal: Welcome.

Dhimmi: Thanks

prussiablue: Yep, he won't like this at all.

FlorisDeVijfde: Thanks. Glad to see that someone in Japan thinks it's pretty good. I wasn't sure if I was hitting the proper nuances.

Rensslaer: Thanks. In this AAR, I break some of the rules I listed. :eek:

Exams went pretty well. My week is now pretty much over. More time for writing, I assume. :D

Update will come late tonight or tomorrow, depending on how exhausted I am later.

It is ten minutes until tomorrow, so here it is: :p

--

March 3, 1839—Akita

cobbledroadtown2ls.jpg

The man knocked on Tanaka’s door early in the morning. He had come from outside the city, looking for work. His landlord, a minor noble, had increased rent, as the winter had been fiercer than normal. That meant the peasants were forced to leave for the towns. It was unfair, true, but his landlord had bought the land back at higher prices, to help him out. He had heard the shogun was like that.

Tanaka opened the door. “How may I help you this fine day, sir?”

“Sir, I was told by Tomoko-san, the good man at the town hall, that you had need of a laborer?”

“What’s your name and origin, sir?”

“I am called Teiji Tojo, sir. I am from a village north of here. The winter was harsh.”

“You have family?”

“Yes, sir. They are staying at the town hall right now.”

“Well, Teiji, you have yourself an occupation, now.” A smile crept onto Tanaka’s face. A broad grin followed on Teiji’s. “You and your family can stay in the back room. If you work hard, benefits will follow.”

Another man approached the door, obviously looking for Tanaka.

“Well, go ahead and fetch your family, Teiji. You start work tomorrow. Is that fine?”

“Yes, sir.”

Teiji, turned, left, and was replaced by another man, built small, but powerful. He spoke with a deep voice.

“Tanaka-san, I heard your name mentioned as a prospective employer.” It was not a question.

“Yes, good sir. By your tone, I take it you know the kind of work I need?”

“I am a master carpenter, temporarily put out of work due to the winter. I disliked my old boss anyways.”

“Who was your former employer?”

“Old Kino, up the street.”

“Kinoshita? Yes, I know him. What’s your name?”

“Ichiro Matanabe. I live eight streets over.”

“You have a job, Ichiro. Work hard, and you will be rewarded. You begin tomorrow.”

Hmm..... Not sure what this Tojo is up to. But I'm curious!

Congrats on your exams! Hope everything turns out well. What classes are you taking? And where?

Rensslaer

p.s. What on EARTH has that picture to do with the story?! :rofl: Is that the Netherlands? France? Not Japan, I suspect...

Same thought here but Rens beat me to it. What's with the picture?? :confused:

Rensslaer said:
p.s. What on EARTH has that picture to do with the story?! :rofl: Is that the Netherlands? France? Not Japan, I suspect...
I believe it's from the Netherlands, so I guess it may have something to do with the story, but assume it means nothing. :p

Seems like Tanaka is gathering good men around him. Whatever for? ;)

fj44 said:
I believe it's from the Netherlands, so I guess it may have something to do with the story, but assume it means nothing. :p
Translation... The photo he wanted to use got lost somewhere in the "nether lands" of photobucket, and when he searched for "nether lands" to find it, this picture popped up! :p

Renss

Rensslaer: I am trying to get degrees in Nuclear Engineering and Mechanical Engineering at Georgia Tech.

FlorisDeVijfde: You'll find out. Eventually. :p

coz1: Why does the sun shine? :p

And now, update.

April 23, 1839—Convention at Tenpo

“And furthermore, fellow daimyo, not only is the shogun harboring a Christian, but also has used this leashed devil to contaminate Nippon with foreign influence!”

Angry mutterings rose from the room.

“Order! Order!” Mizuno’s shouts did little to calm the enraged daimyo. Ieyoshi slowly rose, and walked over to Mizuno’s podium. He calmly drew his ceremonial sword, and cut the podium in half. That ended the chaos.

“Honored men, you consider yourselves the flower of Japanese manhood. I say you are fools. You disregarded the moderator at a convention of daimyo. The Emperor himself nominated Mizuno-san for this position. You refuse to listen to Mizuno here. Very well. Remember that you have slighted the Emperor himself this day.”

“Date, I would challenge you over this insult, but it is not wise for a man to wrestle with pigs.” Date’s face went purple with rage. “However, I will answer the questions you, the daimyo, have regarding these accusations.” Ieyoshi sheathed his blade.

“I found a Christian, a confused man named Tanaka, formerly a sub-commander in my uncle’s forces, after the battle of Kyoto where I upheld order and the Imperial throne. I was tempted to have him beheaded right there. However, I have a son who will have to know how to argue. The capable Mizuno Fujiwara was already teaching him the art of debate, however, I felt it necessary that Iemochi learn to argue with a fanatic. It is for this reason alone—the strengthening of Japan—that I retained Tanaka.”

More angry mutterings broke out among the daimyo.

Daimyo Hakodate spoke up. “Ieyoshi, what of Date’s accusation regarding foreign influence?”

“That is completely untrue. I do not associate with those vile foreigners in Nagasaki. It would be hypocrisy to confine them to Nagasaki, so as to eliminate the contamination, while seeking to use their ideas.”

“Thank you, Ieyoshi.”

Date stood, quivering with anger. “I add another charge, Ieyoshi. Your statements you just made are lies to the core. One of my liegemen heard this Christian we speak of talking with his workers. Do you know what he said, fellow daimyo? He said ‘the palefaces say that this will work’. Tell me, honored daimyo, what ‘palefaces’ do you know other than those devils in Nagasaki?” Date’s voice had reached a fevered pitch, and was now a force of it’s own.

“One of your liegeman, Date? Is this an admission of spying? If so, perhaps it is you who ought to be up here, defending yourself.”

“I will not stand here and be insulted. I will leave this place, and encourage all daimyo who value honor, tradition, integrity, and the Emperor to follow me. Let those who dwell in falsehood remain!”

With that Daimyo Date, and more than half the other daimyo strode out.

1839govcrisis9hj.jpg

Tanaka continues to cause problems. Perhaps not good for Japan, but great for the reader. :D

fj44 said:
There is a slight inconsistancy in the last update. He who finds it shall be rewarded! :D
You talk about more than half of all Daimyo present walking out, yet the event says Takeda's rebellion united the Daimyo :rolleyes:

I wonder what the reward will be. World domination...or maybe even a cookie :D

Last edited:
Reform it shall be. Onwards to modernization.

Don't think the old guards would just sit there, trouble is brewing underneath.