• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Interesting!

I thought Takase was going to cut the date short, but...

And in this day of Kill Bill and senseless graphicity, I'm impressed that you were able to keep the gore to a minimum. I think understating conveys the simple "mission-ness" of their work more ably.

And I liked the fact that he didn't perform his task to absolute perfection! Cutting a hole that was just slightly too small sounds like something -I- would do! :rolleyes:

Great job!

Rensslaer

Dhimmi-It's like calling the French, Frenchies, Northerners, Yankees and so forth. :p

Rensslaer-you'll have to wait regarding the Dutch. Let's just say there's some European meddling.

Regarding your comments about avoiding unnecessary gore, it just worked out that way. It seemed more in line with the story. :D

And the ninja misjudging the size of hole he needed. Well, I just wanted to throw that in, as there's a misconception that ninja's are the ultimate in stealth. They make mistakes, just like anyone else.

BBBD- :D

I'll have to bring in a pirate, just to keep the story balanced. :p

I'll probably throw an update out there sometime tonight.

fj44 said:
I'll probably throw an update out there sometime tonight.
Cold withers a leaf
If it is not kept nourished
Promises not kept

With care and feeding
The bonsai rivals the oak
The story kept strong

Stupid haiku encouragements to update! :D

Renss

Rensslaer said:
Cold withers a leaf
If it is not kept nourished
Promises not kept

With care and feeding
The bonsai rivals the oak
The story kept strong

Stupid haiku encouragements to update! :D

Renss
:p

I should have said 'you'll get it tomorrow night'. :D

I'll try to get it out within the next hour or so.

The next morning

“Are you certain?”

“As much as anyone can, my lord.”

“Very good. I have another task for you. See if you can discover who else is part of this conspiracy. I leave the details of the task to you.” He did not mention the requirement of strict secrecy. It was not necessary to do so.

“Yes, my lord.”

August 28, 1838

The Daimyo Date’s palace in Akita was grand, almost to the level of the Emperor’s in Kyoto. Such a palace required hundreds of servants to run efficiently. It also made it difficult to keep track of them all. A man came to the palace gates that warm morning, asking for a job. Deiri, mistress of servants was summoned to officially send him away, for any lesser servant of the Daimyo would shame the man forever.

Instead of sending him away, like she should have, Deiri took pity on the man. “What is your name?”

“Takase Matabe, madam.”

“You have had experience serving daimyo before?”

“No, madam. This one was the servant of three different merchants in Nagasaki.”

“Why have you left their service?”

“The burden of competing with the Westerners was too much for them. They sold all they had, and left for Edo, to become soldiers in the Shogun’s army, madam. They released me from my bonds, and hearing that the Daimyo Date might have an opening for a servant, I came. Madam, I am willing to work in the stables if I am able to work in this honorable house.”

“Very well. The stables it is.” Deiri smiled to herself. If he worked as hard for the Daimyo as he did to get in, he wouldn’t be in the stables long.

Takase smiled to himself after leaving for the servants’ quarters. Well, he was in. It would be a long way from the bottom to the top, but accidents occasionally happened to senior servants.

fj44 said:
Deiri, mistress of servants was summoned to officially send him away, for any lesser servant of the Daimyo would shame the man forever.

Instead of sending him away, like she should have, Deiri took pity on the man. “What is your name?”

“Takase Matabe, madam.”
I love your subtle manipulation of the culture toward your ends! It makes the story so much more interesting than average stories. And the characters seem more human.

Fascinating situation!

Rensslaer

Great writing once again though I can't wait the 'accident' to happen... ;)

Finally had a chance to catch up here and you have been busy. And great stuff it is. You are really adding a nice eastern feel and flavor to the writing that is very appropriate. And there is certainly no lack of material with all the revolts. You battle scenes are many but varied and exciting. And the intrigue has been superb. You seem to be really hitting your stride at the moment, so I'm glad I got caught up. More please. :D

dont 4get screenies if possible, some relations to the game. =)

Rensslaer: Thanks.

prussiablue: You'll have to wait a little bit. Sorry. ;)

Fiftypence, kingmbutu, Wookiee: Many thanks. New faces are always good.

coz1: The revolts actually have been dealt with. I just haven't gotten there yet. :D More is coming. In less than a minute. :p

deltren: Ha! I have some screenshots ready to go, unfortunately the story isn't there yet. I'm working on it. :)

I was reminded, quite rudely may I add, Wookiee, that no update in 3 days was bad. :confused: So, you're getting another one. I hope to get the story to move a little quicker, but we'll see. I have two gigantic exams next week, so we'll see. You'll probably get one Wednesday night(+/- 1 day, Rensslaer :D ).

November 18, 1838—Akita

A cold wind blew down from the mountains, across the Sendai road, and into the bustling town of Akita. In Akita, the townsfolk were busy preparing for winter. Akita, alone of the coastal cities, could count on both the wrath of winter, as well as the wrath of the Daimyo in his castle. Daimyo Date did not handle winters very well. His irritability was feared throughout the town. Though nominally independent, recognizing only the Imperial Government’s dominion; in reality, the Daimyo controlled the towns.

Tanaka looked up from his work on the gigantic wooden structure behind the town hall, as the three soldiers walked up.

“How may I help you fine gentlemen?” He asked as he stepped down off the ladder. Tenjiro looked down on Tanaka quizzically.

“Keep working, Tenjiro.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Gentlemen?”

“Tanaka-san? The Daimyo Date wishes to speak with you.”

“Where? Here?”

“No, sir. At his palace.”

“Gentlemen, I am a busy man. I will have a break in two days’ time, when I will call upon the good Daimyo.”

The guards looked at each other. The leader spoke again, just as Tanaka was turning back to his work. “Sir.”

Tanaka pivoted back around. “Yes, gentlemen?”

The leader licked his lips. “Sir. The Daimyo was expecting you today. He will not be pleased.”

Tanaka smiled to himself. “If I go with you now, the Shogun will be displeased. I am truly sorry good sirs, but I have been commissioned by the Shogun himself. I advise you to inform the Daimyo of this. I apologize to the Daimyo for the inconvenience, but I really must be working.”

The soldiers looked at each other worriedly. Their master would not be happy. They turned to leave, expecting the worst.

BBBD said:
Interesting, though I must admit with the Japanese names I am getting a little confused. But then it ain't too hard to confuse me. :D
It's a way to encourage you to reread my updates. Coincidentally bumping up the total views. :p

Isn't there some sort of old Confucious saying or something that suggests man with two bosses serves no one or something like that? Seems about right for here.

And as for no update in 3 days being bad...that's new to me. I haven't updated Into the West in a couple of months, but I still seem to have readers. Maybe not new ones, but the old readers are still there. Work at your own pace and when you have the time. :)

fj44 said:
“Tanaka-san? The Daimyo Date wishes to speak with you.”

“Gentlemen, I am a busy man. I will have a break in two days’ time, when I will call upon the good Daimyo.”

The leader licked his lips. “Sir. The Daimyo was expecting you today. He will not be pleased.”

Tanaka smiled to himself. “I apologize to the Daimyo for the inconvenience, but I really must be working.”
:rofl: Why do I sense that this is an analogy (allegory???) for FJ44's reaction to my demands for updates!

Very well, then, good worker... Do your exams, then! We shall be here when you have time for more. :D

Renss