• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Takase is a rather brave man, to proffer such advice.

I wonder how Ieyoshi will react to this latest intelligence about Osahito and Nishimura. The possibility that the prince might have rid himself of Nishimura (by killing him) must be considered.

stnylan said:
I wonder how Ieyoshi will react to this latest intelligence about Osahito and Nishimura.
Especially since Ieyoshi seems to have just committed himself to a course (in spite of Takase's advice) contrary to what I might expect from Osahito. At least as far as rejecting the West, goes.

Osahito might prefer contact with the British -- at least that's what I gather from his travels -- and might still stiff the Dutch.

I'm looking forward to seeing more resolution!

Rensslaer

p.s. Ha! My ploy worked. I got FJ44 to post before me. :D

Great to see another update, fj44. It looks as if Ieyoshi has much on his plate - the return of the royal family as well as outsiders to make his position precarious.

Alright, some feedback:

kingmbutu: :D

Believe me, your excitement at seeing an update is only bested by mine at posting it.

stnylan: Takase's report does bring some interesting dimensions into Ieyoshi's calculations. We shall see what happens.

Rensslaer: I have portrayed the two major schools of thought, here. Ieyoshi represents the traditionalists, while Osahito represents the progressives.

As a historical footnote, by the time of the Dutch letter, there was a general agreement that some collaboration with the West was necessary. The Dutch letter was rejected because it demanded too much for a supermajority to be maintained.

I see that someone still hasn't posted their update... ;)

coz1: Yes, Ieyoshi is riding the tightrope. We shall see if his precarious position can be remedied.

All: I am pleased to inform you that there is an update in the works, which will likely be up by Sunday.

The eagle sailed majestically above Kyoto, eyes searching for his target.
Wonderfully, and not the only beautiful imagery in this AAR. : )

George Hamilton-Gordon scowled out at the ocean. Melbourne was a staunch Whig, and surely recognized the importance of opening trade with Japan. Why would he allow a member of the opposition to head the post? This was all Henry’s fault, of course. The man was a veritable wizard, temporarily removing key members of the opposition in time for important votes. Gordon let out a long sigh.

A wave crept up the side of the boat, and whipped Gordon in the face, leaving the emissary sputtering. Cape of Good Hope, indeed! The only thing found here was the perpetual, terrible storm. He had never liked the sea. Even his travels as ambassador to the Austrian Hapsburgs across the docile Mediterranean, he had disliked how the ship could not possibly keep steady. How was a gentleman to enjoy his tea with the infernal rocking?

Putting that out of his mind, Gordon brought himself back to the task he had been assigned. The Japanese were desperate to find another power for trade, so as to not remain dependent on the Dutch. This was good, and should require very little concessions on his part. Temple may have misjudged his political abilities. This trip could definitely be used for his own benefit. The population respected a man who sought to serve the crown in the colonies and with the uncivilized princes. Perhaps he could force Henry Temple to eat his own advice. That was very pleasing to Gordon’s mind

The old woman awakened to barking. Blinking twice to clear her head, she sat up. The woman turned her head to the window near the ceiling behind her. The first rays of sunlight had begun to creep across the dark, cloudy sky. The city of the Emperor had not yet wakened, but the woman stood up, and donned her rose-embroidered kimono. She left her shack by the outer wall, and walked towards the marketplace, a mere two blocks distant.

Osahito carefully stretched his back, feeling for any excessively tense muscles. He found none, and began gathering his belongings from the bush he had slept under during last night’s steady drizzle. It was not the best of accommodations, though it was no different than sleeping in a tent. He poked Nishimura lightly with a stick.

“Dawn is coming, Nishimura. The gates open soon, and we must be ready.”

Nishimura grunted, and rolled over. Osahito sighed to himself. The man was not necessary to his journey, and would just slow him down. If the country were in such a crisis as Tanaka had recounted, hours could be precious. He stepped up onto the road.

“Catch up, Nishimura, if you can.” That came as a whisper, as the man would not hear it anyway.

Osahito rounded the bend around Atago San, the heights he knew so well as a boy, and walked towards the imposing gates of Kyoto. They were not open, but would be soon. He sat down on a rock, and waited.

atagosanoc7.jpg

Danger and opportunity awaited, as they always did. The stakes were high, and surely Ieyoshi knew where he was by now. Perhaps he would find nothing, and perhaps a knife in the back. Perhaps he would find Tanaka, and perhaps he would take to road to Edo alone. So many possibilities, but worrying would gain him nothing. He leaned back on the granite, listening to the bird chirp in the crisp predawn air. This was his favorite time of the day, before people awoke, where the only sounds were the birds, the wind, and the creatures of the Earth. This was the favorite time of poets and writers throughout the land, when thoughts flowed most lucidly, and ideas became reality.

Great to see another update, fj44! I sense you are setting up quite a few threads here, the most mysterious being the old woman in her kimono. Looking forward to where you are going. :)

So, a counter-offer of sorts is on the way, and Osahito is slipping loose from Nishimura. And the old woman...

As coz, I have the feeling of things pending, of things being woven together.

What a wonderfully informative and poetic update!

I almost laughed out loud when I read the part about Marlborough sending opponents out of the country just before an important vote (it's a good thing I didn't -- I'm at the library! -- you're always trying to get me in trouble!). :D

And your mention of the storms off the Cape of Good Hope reminded me of one of my favorite Patrick O'Brien (naval novelist) scenes, which come to think of it rather metaphorically parallels what's really happening in YOUR scene! It's where they're rounding the Cape (just before getting shipwrecked for what -- 6 months?!) and are battling a Dutch man of war in a full-blown gale with towering waves. No one is having any luck hitting the other until finally, Aubrey's ship manages to hit the Dutch in one of her masts, which loosens and comes down in the storm. The Dutch lose their stays, and founder/sink because they can't maintain their way into the direction of the waves. Brilliant scene -- and you've just reminded me of it!

Rensslaer

coz1: Well, seeing as the last update was two weeks back, I wouldn't say that I'm updating again, though hopefully I'll get some consistency going.

stnylan: That's the way I was trying to write the update, to start connecting all the various plot lines, and generate the first real climax of the AAR.

Rensslaer: Not Marlborough, methinks, but one those perfidious Englishmen. :p

I'm glad my update reminded you of such a wonderful scene. Myself, I have not read any of O'Brien's work, but I may try to read some in the future.

All: If you're still here, you have my thanks. I apologize for the inconsistency in updates, and I hope to do a bit better. There is an update, which will almost certainly be up this weekend.

Suzuki entered the small hut near the west wall, bowing to the woman weaving in the center of the room. He made his way past her, into the cramped back room. The morning sun trickled down from the ceiling, where the thatch had eroded over the years. A man sat in the corner, smoking a small pipe, the man he sought.

“Ah, Suzuki-san. How does the world treat you this morning?”

“There is no need to be sarcastic, Tanaka-san. I’d prefer to finish this business quickly, that we might not draw eyes to see what they should not.”

Tanaka gave a deep chuckle. “Suzuki, I have a question for you, one that might cause offense.”

“I will take none.”

“Why are you here? Is your current…business not as profitable as it once was?”

Suzuki growled to himself. Did the man have to bring up his smuggling trade? It was not necessary, and calculated to insult.

“No. No, it is not.”

“I am truly sorry to hear that. I asked you here on false pretences, I am afraid, but I am sure you will realize I had good reason. You know exactly why your customers and suppliers are far more hesitant to deal with you as of late?”

“Yes.”

“Ieyoshi’s position on the Western trade has troubled many esteemed gentlemen throughout the land. Some, like you, seek to gain profit from a reversal of Ieyoshi’s policy. Others are idealists, and seek to open Japan for the betterment of the Japanese people. Both groups are not very happy with Ieyoshi’s policies, as I am sure you can imagine.”

“Where do I come in, Tanaka?”

“Quite simply, we would appreciate your uncompromising aid in our endeavors.”

“You ask far too much for one who only provides his word and vague mention of others. I cannot comply with your request without a more concrete idea of requirements and rewards.”

“I suspected as much, Suzuki, which is why I arranged for a good friend to come here to provide that assurance you requested.”

Suzuki blinked, as Tanaka gestured to the door behind him. Footsteps sounded on the packed earthen floor. Suzuki turned around, as a figure stepped through the door. Suzuki’s eyes widened as he recognized the face. He dropped to the ground, prostrate, and closed his eyes. The man let out a chuckle, and knelt next to Suzuki’s face.

“Now, now, Suzuki, none of that. I expect my subjects to not inconvenience themselves for the sake of protocol, at least not until I am crowned. Stand up.”

Suzuki stood, and Tanaka spoke up.

“Suzuki, the Prince, after reviewing multiple individuals like yourself, has decided to hire you as his spy master until the situation in this country has stabilized.”

“I am honored, my Prince. Where shall we set up our base of operations?”

“Within fifty feet of my person, Suzuki.” At the puzzled look from Suzuki, the Prince elaborated. “We will not be staying here in Kyoto for even another hour. We will travel to Edo, and operate from there.”

Suzuki leaned against the side of the hut. He had just been drafted by the Prince, who had been accused of being dead these past two years. He was now in a plot against the Shogun, and if it failed, even his connections would not be enough to protect him. He had an odd feeling of being cast adrift on a sea of storms. In a corner of his mind, Japan’s situation seemed more similar to his own than he realized.

Now that was a nasty surprise to pull on a poor, struggling, smuggler. But an instinctual loyalty there - that is good. And he realises there is no turning back - better.

Oh, joy! :D

A wonderful scene! Brief, and to the point, but not without a richness of characterization.

An Emperor who can chuckle -- nice touch.

I also really appreciate the people who Osahito surrounds himself with. They are some of the coolest characters around, and I enjoy the humor of their rivalries.

Great work!

Rensslaer

This story is simply amazing... but when will the actual gameplay commence? Which year are you at, by the way?

Indeed, I suspect Osahito will change quite a few things as the days move closer to his taking power. Japan really should open up. They will need the extra advantage to modernize.

I am very honored to see so many people still reading this AAR. It means a lot, folks.

stnylan: That's quite possibly the most favorable outcome of that exchange.

kingmbutu: I know I'm not the first to use it, but it's a nice line, isn't it?

Rensslaer: I was able to break away from EU3, which is quite a miracle, when you think about it. :p

xelloss: Gameplay?! This is supposed to based on a game!? :eek:

In all seriousness, there will be likely be three or four updates, and then some game screenies and data will pop up. As for the year, this is the spring of 1843. Also, welcome to the AAR. I greatly appreciate your readership.

coz1: Yep, they'll need every advantage they can get. But is it worth the degradation of Japanese traditions? ;)

All: I'll try to have an update ready today.

fj44 said:
In all seriousness, there will be likely be three or four updates, and then some game screenies and data will pop up. As for the year, this is the spring of 1843.
Hmmm....

((dips haiku pen in the inkjar)) ((looks puzzled when nothing appears on the page under the pen)) ((peers into inkjar)) ((shakes inkjar upside down)) ((gathers his things to go get more ink)) ;)

I hope you'll have the opportunity to update one of these days soon! After all, you beat me over Castles, but now that I'm actually updating Castles, I expect some company! :D

Rensslaer