• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A very poetic phrase indeed Renss, though I rather liked the dichotomy of the first line myself. Something very balanced about that first image, like a finely balanced set of scales, gold in one pan and mud in another.

fj44 said:
All: Many apologies there is no update yet. I seem to have contracted a nasty little stomach flu, and hopefully it won't stick around too long. :(
Well, I hope you can "break the contract!" :rolleyes:

Best wishes in your recovery!

Rensslaer

fj44 said:
All: Many apologies there is no update yet. I seem to have contracted a nasty little stomach flu, and hopefully it won't stick around too long. :(

thats none too pleasant... here's to a rapid recovery

More Screenshots HAHAHA i love screenshots

Hmmm...looking for Osahito I imagine. Very mysterious.

I hope you get on the mend soon. I certainly understand how a little poor health can derail plans for a time. Get well.

Rensslaer: Intriguing indeed. I have no idea where this is headed. :p

stnylan: Glad you like that little line. It just hit me that it would fit, and apparently it did.

Rensslaer and kingmbutu: Thanks. I seem mostly over it, so the updates will continue! :)

Duke Leo: In time I will have more fun screenshots for you. Hopefully rather soon. And welcome to the AAR. :)

coz1: It is, isn't it? ;)

I've recovered now, though my poor Yellow Jackets haven't. :(

All: Updates will resume shortly. Perhaps even tonight.

japantatamiroomki1.jpg

The eagle sailed majestically above Kyoto, eyes searching for his target. In the skies, nothing could even pray to survive. Its eyes focused on the small brown bird a half mile below it. The bird of prey dove, talons outstretched. The prey realized its peril, and dove for the trees. The eagle followed the bird into the treeline, dropping like a rock. The bird, rather than diving for the earth, as every other bird would, turned quickly around a fairly large tree, as only a small bird can. The eagle, never panicking, slammed into the tree, falling twenty feet to the forest below. It had never seen the peril.

Suzuki’s hands crumpled the paper. Tamaguchi had been a most promising prospect. He was not one to anger easily, but he had reason. First at Ichii, whose incompetence had lost Tamaguchi for the Black Hand. Second at this samurai who destroyed Ichii’s thugs. A man that good could have easily slain Ichii as well. Why did he not? Perhaps as a message. Suzuki had been known to send such messages before.

His blood chilled. Revenge was the motive, obviously. Perhaps a former initiate of the Order? Suzuki began to recount his former apprentices. Not Matsuda. He was far too hasty and hot-blooded to do this. Ichikiro was good enough, though he had resigned, rather than be exiled. Ichikiro was more honorable than most. Perhaps he…no. Ichikiro had left upon his father’s death, to grow rice and support his family. Ichikiro was not involved. No students, then.

Angered others? After hours of thought, Suzuki was frustrated. No one with a quarrel with him fit the description of what had happened. The magistrate was in his pocket. Surely the Shogunate was not involved. No one of any significance had been killed in the past two months. A soft knock on the door frame interrupted Suzuki’s frenzied thinking. Calming his mind, he looked towards the door. “Enter, please.”

The door swung open, revealing a clean-shaven man bearing a pot of lacquered ceramic. “Master, would you care for some tea?”

“Please, Toyoda.” Suzuki gestured to the low table in front of where he sat.

Toyoda placed the pot on the table. “Master, do you wish me to go fetch Hondo?”

Suzuki smiled to himself. Toyoda was young and enthusiastic, though he supposed the two went together, like honey and bees. Unfortunately that enthusiasm often led to mistakes, and mistakes in this profession meant death. “Toyoda, is Domo Nissan back yet?”

“Yes, Master. He arrived just as I left the kitchen.”

“Could you fetch them both, please?”

Toyoda bowed deeply, and Suzuki returned it. “Such is your command, such shall it be, Master.”

The door shut behind him. Date was a problem all of his own. Suzuki would never reveal the rumors of Osahito, as none could get a head start except the Hand. All his plans depended on it.

Tamaguchi’s rescuer. That was a dilemma he had not yet solved. Suzuki was not a man to like unsolved puzzles. He had spent a few years at Honinbo in his youth, and was accounted a decent strategist. One had to be, to command the most noble guild in all Nippon. This puzzle was…intractable. Ah, perhaps one of the youngsters would see something in this he hadn’t. If not, then time would clear the waters. Hopefully before it was too late.

And another very interesting image. I am not quite sure what that portends - could apply a number of ways with the situation set out as it is.

I do know exactly how Suzuki feels! I have been worrying away at this thorny problem myself at odd times, and have come to no conclusions.

All that seems certain is that Tamaguchi's assailants were killed by a car -- be it a Nissan, a Hondo, a Toyoda or a Suzuki, we do not know! :rolleyes:

Very interesting! We are given a hint as to what has happened. But it is not yet certain to me (then again, I'm dense!) whether the metaphor of the eagle refers to those who would have used Tamaguchi, or whether it applies more deeply (which I suspect) and refers to Suzuki himself.

At first glance, one might think Suzuki is not too smart. But then again, perhaps he does not completely realize that his prey is actually among them!

Rensslaer

I took the opening metaphor as describing perhaps all the major players at present, each one swirling around each other but they had best keep a sharp eye or they will perish just as the eagle did. Very nice imagry and some creative naming, to be sure. ;)

Ah, feedback time;

stnylan: Those who enjoy puzzles often become frustrated when they find one they cannot solve.

Rensslaer: Overdone? Yes, I know. :p

The metaphor can apply to a large number of entities/situations. You've identified two possiblilties. ;)

coz1: I started with Suzuki, and then came up with a Hondo, and I couldn't resist the rest. :cool:

The cars will make their appearance in a little bit.

All: Update will come probably next week, as I it is currently finals week, which means I have next to zero free time.

At least the names (3 of them, anyway) didn't start with a "T"!

Instead of Hondo, we could have had Tondo. As in Tondo Kimasuabe. :D

Rensslaer

fj44 said:
All: Update will come probably next week, as I it is currently finals week, which means I have next to zero free time.

Well, that fell out the window. :D

However, my faithful, patient, wonderful readers, there is an update coming, after a month of merrymaking, rest, relaxation, and general sloth. :D

Rensslaer: There can't possibly be that many 'T' characters, so stop complaining. :p

EDIT: Rensslaer: Never mind my last comment. :eek:o

fj44 said:
Rensslaer: There can't possibly be that many 'T' characters, so stop complaining. :p

EDIT: Rensslaer: Never mind my last comment. :eek:o
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Okay, I'll issue a challenge. I'm working on an update for Castles -- let's race to see who gets the next update up! :D

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Okay, I'll issue a challenge. I'm working on an update for Castles -- let's race to see who gets the next update up! :D

Rensslaer
That's not fair, you got a head start. :mad:

Update should make it up tomorrow.

fj44 said:
That's not fair, you got a head start. :mad:
You know what they say about the tortoise and the hare! :D

I do recall someone saying something about a month of merrymaking and sloth. :p

Rensslaer

A knock on the door frame disrupted Ieyoshi’s concentration. He looked up from his papers with a scowl, glaring at the man silhouetted in the doorway.

“Good evening, my Lord.”

“Takase, I trust you have good reason for disturbing me.” It was not a question.

“Yes, my Lord, I believe so. A messenger arrived this afternoon from Nagasaki. It seems the Dutch seek to alter the status quo.”

Ieyoshi suppressed a particularly violent curse, turning it into a low, prolonged grunt. “Let me see the dispatch.”

“Of course, my Lord.”

Takase handed Ieyoshi the scroll. As Ieyoshi studied the writing, Takase lost himself in thought. In the past four years, he had made a transition that very few men could make in their lifetime. Despite Ieyoshi’s ‘liberalization’, if it could be called that, Japan was static. The peasant had no hope of dying rich, nor the daimyo of dying poor. Fujiwara had predicted that Ieyoshi’s levies would be resented by the populace. Now, it was clear. Fujiwara was most certainly incorrect. No one would tell him, of course. Such is the daimyo’s privilege: to be wrong, and have no man be willing to correct you.

Ieyoshi finished reading the scroll, and threw it down on the table with a furious shout. Yes, the shogun was in a rage. He was more prone to those lately. Unfortunately, Takase was often the target. Ieyoshi rarely received good news anymore. Perhaps today might surprise him, though the good news was paired with bad.

“Does my Lord wish his servant’s opinion on the matter?”

“Be quiet, Takase.” He paused. “I am glad of your understanding nature.” Ieyoshi spoke through gritted teeth, though that was as close to an apology as Takase would ever get from his master.

“The news is ill, my Lord, but one must seek to turn such ill fortune to an advantage.”

“Of course, Takase.” He paused, on the verge of speaking. “Very well, Takase, what do you believe a solution to this might involve?”

“You wish my advice, my Lord?”

“Yes.”

“This envoy will arrive in Edo within three weeks. He will certainly have the letter in his possession. We do not know the particulars of the letter, nor will we until his arrival. In your servant’s opinion, this would be too late. It will be difficult to take action effectively without more information of the particulars of the Dutch ultimatum. I can arrange for a copy of it to be made within a week, pending your approval, my Lord.”

“No. The consequences of discovery are far too dire. Use the information we have, Takase.”

“Well, my Lord, the ultimatum, if accepted, will force us to accept Western contamination. However, we likely will need to accept it to survive. Edo is practically defenseless, and even just one of their boats could force the city to submit. We faced this crisis fifty years ago against the Russians, as my Lord may recall.”

“Yes, but such betrayal of our traditions will be intolerable.”

“Yes, my Lord, it is a bitter pill to swallow, but we are inferior to the Westerners. We cannot fight them, so we must, at least temporarily, collaborate with them. Once they have taught us enough, Japan can throw off the chains of tyranny, and reclaim her honor.”

“I understand your point, Takase, however, I must strongly disagree. Any collaboration with the foreigners will be a great betrayal of our people, and will so stain Japan’s honor, that she will never be pure again. We will fight in the mountains, if necessary, but the Dutch, or any other Western barbarian shall ever gain dominance over Japan. They shall fall to our divine wrath should they try.”

“Yes, my Lord.”

“Takase, you have that look in your eyes, again. What is the other piece of bad news?”

“My Lord, I believe it good news, though the enemies of Japan and the succession will think it ill.”

“What is it, Takase?”

“Osahito has returned, my Lord.” Mizuno’s spy network was very efficient, and willing to serve Mizuno’s successor.

“And Nishimura?”

“My sources did not mention him, my Lord.”