• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
stnylan: You'll find out soon.

Rensslaer: You'll find out soon. :D

And there's no relation to Gordon of Khartoum. You'll learn more of this Gordon later... :)

Now that is interesting, on several counts. I admire Osahito's opportunism - though it may win him enemies.

March 1842—Amsterdam

“The English have become more belligerent regarding the Far East. I can no longer be certain Britain will stay out of our ventures there, Your Majesty.”

Hendrik van der Mei gave his king a helpless expression. It was not appreciated.

“I do not think Britain will try anything. They are stretched very thin out there.”

The diplomatic advisor sighed softly to himself before beginning his counter-argument.

“The British are a dangerous people, Majesty, something I believe we have learned repeatedly through the course of history. It is not merely an Anglo-Dutch rivalry, which, though strong, is not a blood. Majesty, you know the English Queen better than most. It will not come to arms unless their hegemony seems threatened. I would argue that the British opposition believes so. Peel, at the very least, does.”

“Hendrik, I understand your concerns, but the British will not combat us without provocation. We have not given them that.”

“Not yet, but Britain has been known to treat success of Dutch trade as a provocation before…”

“You are overly pessimistic, Hendrik. The British will not strike us preemptively.”

“It is as you say, Majesty.” Hendrik’s resigned voice attempted a meek reproach of his master. It didn’t work. Willem II was stubborn, like most of the House of Orange.

“Now Hendrik, what is your opinion of that Japanese nobleman’s visit?”

Who had told him of that?!

“My king, I just learned of it yesterday. Seeing as he has already departed our shores, it does not seem prudent to worry about him.”

“It seems prudent to me, Hendrik. If a Japanese nobleman begins wandering Europe, what does it mean, hmmm?” The rhetorical question expected no answer. “It means Japan means to begin breaking her isolation. The nobleman was a scout for their leaders, seeking to learn as much knowledge as they can passively, before they are forced to acknowledge the world.”

Willem was also known for wild conspiracy theories, though these were far more often directed at the Flemings and the radicals than other countries, mused Hendrik.

“Majesty, it is possible he has been exiled, or perhaps he was found shipwrecked. Both have been known to happen in the past.”

“If he were exiled, he would have found a place to stay, or, at the very least, approached me for aid. If he were shipwrecked, Admiral van der Graaf would have informed me. No, Hendrik, he was a scout. I must think on this further.”

The three part series of the Prince meeting Vickie was wonderful. In just a few short sentances, you captured the queen. And good to know the Prince returns home to get a handle on things.

But I wonder if Japan might be forced into a conflict between the Dutch and the British. I doubt they could handle both that and uncertainty at home at the same time.

Of course, exile is rather close to the truth - but then in some respects he is a scout as well. Even paranoids have enemies, as they say.

Congratulations, Stephen!

Very well deserved award.

I'm not so sure it seems that Willem is smarter than his advisors. Seems like if he's really that smart, he would get better advisors! :rolleyes: It is good that he's relatively on the ball, at least, even if he's not quite on target.

Rensslaer

Firstly, Jon Young, thank you for the nomination. I greatly appreciate it. And, looks like I dragged a lurker out into the light. :D Welcome.

Rensslaer, thanks to you as well for your praise. As to Willem, we shall see who is smarter...or if they can survive onrushing events. ;)

The update is still in the 'coming soon' category. :p

Wow!

I'm sorry I've missed this so far, and grateful to Jon for calling our attention to it!

Well done, fj! I have to read the earlier posts, but I loved the prince's meeting with Vickie and the aftermath. I just hope Japan can deal with Britain AND Holland's ambitions for their trade :)

Jan van Nieuwenaar had always been nationalistic. In some respects, it was as if he should have been born in 1670 rather than 1770. He was much more at home amongst his fellow nobles than the rabble who occupied the lower house today. Indeed, his enemies, especially the republicans, called him ‘Stadtholder’ behind his back. He was aware of it, though it was not a slander to him. It was a symbol of the glory days of the United Netherlands. Something that should not have been forgotten.

vanderlooncoaib4.jpg

He frowned at the family coat of arms mounted above the door across from his desk. His family had been stadtholders back from the early days of the Republic. All had put their lives and fortunes on the line to preserve their freedoms. It was people like Willem whose weakness had made his ancestors’ sacrifices forfeit.

But now, the spectre of glory had returned. A Dutch renaissance was at hand. A return to the glory days of the United Provinces. To begin with, the monopoly in Japan had long lay fallow. The Japanese were primitives, and easily cowed. Concessions would be quite easy to acquire.

Why should the British and French be the only ones permitted to gain trading rights at the barrel of a gun? Algeria, Egypt, India. The list went on and on. Previously, British threats kept Willem from action. Now, he had no excuse. The British were embroiled in China, without the reserves to respond to a Dutch action. The time was right. Never again would such an opportunity present itself. If Willem decided to be stubborn, Jan van Nieuwenaar would have the fleet sailing regardless, God pity he who stood in his way. Britain would make futile protests. But, without the resources to back up their words, the arrogant English would be forced to accept this fait accompli.

The very thought of Britain brought forth rage in van Nieuwenaar. It was Britain whose ineptness in fighting the French that destroyed the Dutch Republic’s power. They were far too busy ensuring their possession of other nations’ colonies. Instead of fighting side by side, the English went off treasure hunting whilst brave Dutchmen fell in heaps trying to hold their brave nation together. That was something van Nieuwenaar would never forgive.

An expensive clock sat on his desk, ticking down the time until the Staten-Generaal met for the afternoon. Those blind sheep would follow him, all the way to glory, whether they liked it or not. The hands marched on. Just as the Netherlands was going to.

Mmm, it is shaping up that Japan could become the excuse, the focus for quite a nasty little brouhaha in the Orient. I wonder how the Japanese will react to this? If Osahito and Ieyoshi are clever (and if they co-operatve, a matter I will not speculate on here) they could do some very profitable playing both powers off against each other to their own's country's benefit. Or they could take different sides, and plunge Japan into another civil war.

stnylan said:
Mmm, it is shaping up that Japan could become the excuse, the focus for quite a nasty little brouhaha in the Orient. I wonder how the Japanese will react to this? If Osahito and Ieyoshi are clever (and if they co-operatve, a matter I will not speculate on here) they could do some very profitable playing both powers off against each other to their own's country's benefit. Or they could take different sides, and plunge Japan into another civil war.

Competition between the great powers can make a good opening for Japan

A portentous scene, if there ever was one!

Magnificent mood, and characterization there.

I have to admit, I was unawake to the feelings of the Dutch over the British actions in the Napoleonic Wars, to which I assume you refer, but your assessment makes sense!

Resentment can breed some nasty conflicts. Hopefully Japan can stay on top of that wave, rather than being ground under by it!

Rensslaer

CatKnight: Thanks for your kind words, and welcome.

stnylan: That's the question. We shall see how things work out once we get there. ;)

kingmbutu: It does indeed. But, as stnylan mentioned, it can also result it catastrophe.

Rensslaer: Few are aware of the antipathy towards England from Continental Europe during those days. Of course, nowadays, there isn't so much. But, Britain's self-serving actions during war combined with their superpower status resulted in anger and envy.

Well, aren't you a lucky bunch. My college football team won last night, so I'm in a lovely mood right now. That next update will be written as a gesture of thanksgiving. :cool:

fj44 said:
Well, aren't you a lucky bunch. My college football team won last night, so I'm in a lovely mood right now. That next update will be written as a gesture of thanksgiving. :cool:
For exactly this reason, I will forevermore root for YOUR alma mater's football team, rather than my own! :eek:

It makes it easier to say that, given that my alma mater hasn't won a football game in more than 30 years...

In fact, my alma mater hasn't HAD a football team in 30 years...

It's still a concession! :D ;)

Renss

Well, fj44, I find it difficult to root for your football team as I am Georgia Dawg myself. ;) For those outside the state, Tech and Georgia have a lovely rivalry. But we do try to root for the other school when not playing each other every year (which the Dawgs will win again this year. :p )

And that scene surely foreshadows the Dutch getting involved. My fears seem to be looking more likely. How much will Japan be able to stay out of the fight between the Dutch and British? I hope it is not their ruination. A great scene. :)

Rensslaer: A concession much appreciated. :p

coz1: I don't see the difficulty. :D After all, we see a certain game this past weekend. ;)

It will start to come clear in a bit, but I promise it will get very interesting in probably half a dozen updates. ;)

Last edited: