• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
coz1: Impossible situation? Maybe. And yes, the sense of honor plays a huge role here. Osahito would be a liberal in game terms, though not an extremely radical one.

However, you also must remember that it is the idealistic liberals who tended to be the most rabid nationalists in Europe. It is similar in Japan. The conservatives tend to be allied to the person of the emperor. They worship the person, not the office.

The liberals, however, think of Japan as one nation. Their allegiance is to Japan, not necessarily her emperor.

prussiablue: Well, we shall see what happens with 'your Holland'. :D

FlorisDeVijfde: Quite possibly, yes. However, will the Shogun see this possibility, or will he see the chance to get rid of his most potent political opponent for a couple years? ;)

Truly an excellent AAR. Now that I am caught up I will make sure to follow this one with diligence.

Estonianzulu said:
Truly an excellent AAR. Now that I am caught up I will make sure to follow this one with diligence.
Thanks for reading this thing. I just looked and it's 9 pages long! :eek:

I have no clue how that happened. I lost four pages somewhere... :)

Alrighty. Exams are now over, and now, I will make the attempt at working on more updates.

You know, I actually haven't played the game for at least a month and a half. Still catching up to where I am. ;)

I have the feeling this thing is never going to end. :D

Update will come tonight or a little later this week.

fj44 said:
However, you also must remember that it is the idealistic liberals who tended to be the most rabid nationalists in Europe. It is similar in Japan. The conservatives tend to be allied to the person of the emperor. They worship the person, not the office.

The liberals, however, think of Japan as one nation. Their allegiance is to Japan, not necessarily her emperor.
I think this is very astutely observed.

Looking forward to an update when you have a chance. Don't mind me while I'm waiting... I'll just be composing haiku. :rolleyes:

Renss

Rensslaer said:
Don't mind me while I'm waiting... I'll just be composing haiku. :rolleyes:
The update I've been working on has just been rewritten for the fourth time in three days. It still isn't good, so I'll try and keep working on it.

In the meanwhile, Rensslaer, give me a Haiku. For inspiration. :D

fj44 said:
In the meanwhile, Rensslaer, give me a Haiku. For inspiration. :D
See! You asked too late. I had just left work, where I had the copy of the haiku I'd prepared. But now I've just returned, so here it is... ;)

The forest awaits
Trees lurk, all yearning to hear
And the yapping dog.

So... Take that! Until you can prepare an update. :D

I agree with Jubal Early, though.... keep the quality there. You're doing a great job.

Signed,

The Yapping Dog :D

Jubal.Early: Welcome! Many thanks for your kind words.

Yapping Dog: Thanks. :p

All: I think I have the update pretty much done, and I'll likely put it up tonight after work.

Thanks for hanging around, as I know my update speed isn't what it used to be. However, they are coming. :)

November 24, 1840—Nagasaki Harbor

The ship creaked beneath Osahito’s feet as it left the harbor’s mouth. Never had he seen such a ship as this. The ships of Japan were much smaller, truly only useable for travel close to shore. The storms in the Sea of Japan were far too nasty for anyone to hazard sailing out of sight of land.

But this ship had sailed thousands of kilometers out of sight of land. How could it handle the storms? Could it master a typhoon? He had much to learn. How could the ship even make sure it was headed in the correct direction without any landmarks or stars for guidance? Truly these Dutch were magicians. Osahito was not a superstitious man, but there was magic afoot here.

His father’s mind was clearly failing. He was the only heir. If my father dies while I am gone, what happens? Osahito, knowing the laws, knew the answer instinctively. Ieyoshi would select the regent. But who would the selection be? Probably one of the Daimyo. Perhaps Shimazu? Shimazu was loyal enough to Ieyoshi, and the two families had been allies for generations. But, Ieyoshi might name himself regent. It was legally permissible, though unheard of. That would provoke the defection of all the Daimyo to Date’s cause.

But could Ieyoshi trust someone else with the regency? Ieyoshi had become much less willing to trust his allies as of late. Osahito chuckled to himself. I am a perfect example of that.

With one move, Ieyoshi could destroy all the advances he had championed. With one stroke, all who had served the past few years would have fallen in vain. That was unacceptable to Osahito’s mind. He was loyal to Ieyoshi, and as an officer, had sworn an oath to serve the Emperor and His shogun. Willem, his merchant-guide for the past several days had begun to discuss some Dutch philosophy.

The concept of a contract between government and people was intriguing, though wrong. It, however, was an idea. Was his higher loyalty to Ieyoshi, as the Shogun, or to Japan, his country? If Ieyoshi’s actions threatened the well-being of the country, was action required? That would set quite a precedent. Perhaps as a personal test, but once passions were inflamed, it could be used as a partisan political argument. No. This would not be a good idea.

His allegiance was to his country. His allegiance was not built on a spoken oath, required as a matter of form, but of his sense of honor. Tanaka had said: “depending on your sense of honor”. It was a simple truth.

What did honor dictate? Honor was not a person. Its will was not easily decipherable. Osahito stood, arms clasped behind him, as Japan disappeared beneath the horizon. A shudder of regret passed through his body. His honor had made itself clear. Japan was more important than Ieyoshi. Action would be required upon his return. But first, he would learn what he could from these Dutch. Any additional knowledge gained would be very beneficial once his feet stood once more upon his native ground.

But will he return as a stranger to his own land? The perils of foreign travel are numerous, and some are far more insidious than others.

stnylan brings up an interesting point. Howevver, the knowledge learned from the Dutch should certainly come in handy if push comes to shove upon his return. Good to see his sense of honor recognize his loyality to his country first.

fj44 said:
The concept of a contract between government and people was intriguing, though wrong. It, however, was an idea. Was his higher loyalty to Ieyoshi, as the Shogun, or to Japan, his country? If Ieyoshi’s actions threatened the well-being of the country, was action required? That would set quite a precedent. Perhaps as a personal test, but once passions were inflamed, it could be used as a partisan political argument. No. This would not be a good idea.
A fascinating consideration of ideas! And then honor.

Very good! I gather that Osahito is strong enough to find what he needs and wise enough to use it properly.

Rensslaer

Now that you mentioned it in you update, it does carry some risk for our young Prince to travel abroad.

The journey is far and hazadous but equally rewarding if he survives......

stnylan: Very nice statement, there. Indeed, it is a danger.

coz1: As I said, he takes a rather European, liberal view of the nature of the state. It sets him apart from the majority of his countrymen. Will this cause problems upon his return? Well, you'll have to read on to find out. ;)

Rensslaer: One would hope he can pick and choose the best parts of European knowledge and philosophy. However, as we will see, this may not be exactly possible.

prussiablue: Ah, yes. The succession order. Regardless of where the dynasty is located it is always a concern. Of course, I'm not an expert of Japanese traditional inheritance law, but I'm following a few general rules that tend to transcend cultural boundaries.

All: Thanks for reading. We shall soon see more of young Osahito.

So are we observing Osahito's transworld journey realtime, or are you just taking it easy after exams??? <<pokes>> :D

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
So are we observing Osahito's transworld journey realtime, or are you just taking it easy after exams??? <<pokes>> :D

Rensslaer

Cruel ;) Poking a forum member in plain sight! I mean, what ever happened to manners! ;) :D

*wistfully* though I would like an update too....

Rensslaer: I'm passing South Africa now. :rolleyes:

stnylan: Well, there is no update as of yet. But it will come. Possibly tomorrow.

All: I'm sorry to disappear for more than a week, but I am working full time and taking night classes now. However, I will have an update eventually. Many thanks for your patience.

Good to hear! We will all look jealously forward to your update! :D

Renss

fj44 said:
Many thanks for your patience.
Humph! :mad:
((rummages for calligraphy pens and ink for haiku)) ;)