• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice!

But the change in perspective made me dizzy! Did you switch from the Emperor's POV to the rebels?

Rensslaer

Alright. You folks got lucky. I was procrastinating, wondering what I could do apart from study, and I began to write. That, my friends, is why you have an update sitting before you now. :D

Rensslaer: :confused:

The Emperor has not been present in an update for a long time. Since the 2nd one, I think. :p

Yes, I did change perspectives. Ieyoshi -> Takeda -> Tenjiro.

I left out my customary extra spaces when switching perspectives. Will fix. :)

lifeless: Not everyone can afford or even build muskets. :D

fj44 said:
Rensslaer: :confused:

The Emperor has not been present in an update for a long time. Since the 2nd one, I think. :p

Yes, I did change perspectives. Ieyoshi -> Takeda -> Tenjiro.

I left out my customary extra spaces when switching perspectives. Will fix. :)
Sorry... I meant Shogun! Same difference, right? :eek:o

Renss

Takeda's Civil War

May 17, 1838—The battlefield at Kyoto

graveyard1tt.jpg

Ieyoshi walked slowly and silently, with head bowed, towards the shrine. The men who had died here had not fallen in vain. The gravediggers had found a body of note amongst the dead. When Ieyoshi had heard of it, he arranged for a small, private funeral. His uncle, though old, was an ever present companion. Ieyoshi felt empty without Takeda. He had spent his entire life fighting with his uncle. The daimyo would be much more difficult without Takeda as a danger.

Ieyoshi shook his head. Regardless of how much he tried to keep the funeral a secret, word got around. Thousands of people stood in silence by the fence, watching him. Now that he thought on it, the act of honoring his dead enemy was an excellent political move to reunite the country. One did not think of a funeral as political. It should never be tainted by politics of any kind.

Ieyoshi knelt before the freshly dug grave, head bowed. Here he would stay through the night. Some of his guards sat, bows nocked, against trees in the Tokugawa family grove. Other guardsmen remained standing, glancing around for danger. Ieyoshi forced himself to ignore them, focusing instead on his uncle’s life.

Tenjiro was one of the men who got wind of it, and attended the funeral. Dressed splendidly in his new uniform, he bowed his head as his shogun did. The dead could use all the help they could get. Plus, it fit the solemnity of the occasion. At dusk, the few onlookers left had gone. Tenjiro remained. It was part of his debt of honor to Ieyoshi for saving his life in battle.

As the sun was setting, a grizzled old soldier with a wooden leg came down the road from Kyoto. He stood next to Tenjiro, hands clasped. He began muttering to himself. At least, Tenjiro thought it was muttering.

Tenjiro successfully ignored the man’s mutterings, and spent the night thinking on his life. When morning came, he stood. He turned to his companion.

“Sir, might I ask who you are?”

“I am Tanaka. You, young guardsman, are the only spectator here besides the deceased’s family.”

Tenjiro’s eyes widened. Surely the man was not Tokugawa. “You are related to the shogun?”

“No. You are the only spectator. I do not consider this a spectacle. I am here because I have work to do.”

The man had retired from the army? And picked up a new job?

“What do you do for a living, Tanaka-san?”

“Why, I teach people the way to surmount their temptations, sorrows, and difficulties.”

“Are you a hermit or philosopher?”

“In a manner of speaking. I am here to honor a dead man, a man who did more for my cause than people know.”

“And what is your cause, sir?”

“Simply the preaching of the news that Jesus Christ is arisen from the dead, and that those who believe in him will receive eternal life.”

As Tenjiro’s jaw dropped open at the audacity of the man, a deep voice began to speak from behind the two.

“A Christian. Interesting. I look forward to discussing the metaphysical with you both.” Tenjiro turned, and froze upon seeing the voice’s face. Curses! Now he was in for it. Perhaps it would have been better to die by the sword two hundred meters from where he now stood.

Last edited:
Bold!

Very, VERY interesting!

Looking forward to seeing where this takes us.

Great job, again, FJ44!

Rensslaer

i can only repeat the same praise who was given to you earlier.

ill be watching this 1 :)

May 28, 1838

Sometimes it was not good to be a spy. There was always risk of exposure and beheading, but that was part of the job description. Shameful, public execution was expected. A spy could have no sympathy for another’s head on the block. This was worse.

It was not an honorable profession. A spy could not tell stories of his life to his grandchildren. A spy was forever a member of the silent service. Espionage was considered dishonorable; all gentlemen publicly condemning it, but utilizing it behind the scenes. To the spy, the only difference between gentlemen and peasants was that peasants could not afford a spy’s services.

It was a view, a cynical view, a republican view. To revolutionaries, all men are equally good. All men are created equal. To the spy, all men are equally evil. All men have some sort of dark secret.

nrw20parliament7rl.jpg

“Fellow daimyo, my Lord Shogun, Your Great, and Glorious Imperial Majesty, citizens of the Empire, Speaker Mizuno, I thank you for giving me this chance to speak.” The man was tall, a full six feet off the ground. His voice clear, with the feel of one trained for command. “I realize the desperate straits the Government finds itself in. I recognize that this is not its fault. The traitor Takeda, may his flesh rot, is responsible for this.” Tokugawa Ieyoshi’s eyes flared. The speaker smiled to himself upon seeing the Shogun’s reaction.

“I understand this Government’s difficulties, but the Government’s demands are great. Forgiving the Government’s debt is one thing, freely given for the sake of the emperor, but these reforms being pushed on the daimyo are difficult to accept. Letting the peasants leave our land. What of their debts? The Government’s resolution states, and I quote, ‘the people of the Empire shall be free to travel, without any undue burdens’. In the Government’s last statement, delivered by Speaker Mizuno, indicated that the collection of large debts from peasants unable to pay constituted an ‘undue burden’.” Muttering broke out among the spectators and a few of the daimyo, as well.

“By the Emperor! What does the Government think it’s doing!? I will not, no, cannot support this proposal. The livelihood of the Empire is agriculture. The livelihood of agriculture is the daimyo. The daimyo will fall if they have provided services to, and expecting repayment from the peasants. This is the same as if the Government took my crops, gave them to the peasants, and told them, ‘go wherever you want’. This rewards the defaulting of loans and the dodging of debt.” The speaker had stood, and now his arms were waving, his face attaining a slight reddish tint.

“I remind the Government that it is merely an arm of His Glorious Majesty, and not a power unto itself. It has come to my attention that certain members of the Government are hiding perversions from the public. Some of these include: graft, corruption, and hiding Christians!” The whole room broke down into heated argument. Mizuno stood, lifting the gavel, and slamming it down on the desk until it broke.

“There will be order!” The arguing stopped immediately, as Mizuno’s rage slammed into the daimyo. “I understand a certain level of outrage from you, but you must wait until the speaker recognizes you! These are serious charges, and the Government will investigate. Continue, please Daimyo Date.” Mizuno sat after nodding to Date.

“I understand that these perversions have taken place with the knowledge of some Ministers. I make no accusations, however, it may be better if an independent investigation be launched, with both Government and daimyo represented. I realize that the daimyo are not perfect either. That is why I submit the following resolution to the speaker for discussion. An independent organization must be established. Its task is to crush corruption wherever it is. The Government, the daimyo, the Court. None shall be exempt. Justice is one of the things the Great Emperor, Jimmu, promised the people. I suggest that it be brought back to His people. Speaker Mizuno, I propose a recess before debate begins.” Date sat down, and Mizuno looked at Ieyoshi, who nodded tiredly.

Mizuno stood, mustering as much dignity as possible. “The proposal for a recess is approved. Debate on the esteemed Daimyo Date’s proposal will commence in two hours.” As he had no gavel anymore, Mizuno slammed his fist onto the desk. “Adjourned.”

Mettermrck, Dhimmi: Welcome aboard! The WritAAR of the Week award is great for free advertising. :cool:

All: Thanks for reading. More updates are coming. My week pretty much just ended, so plenty of time to write. :p

Comments are appreciated; read, comment, and I write. :)

oooo. the "congress" is starting to heat up. might we see open combat break out between the two opposing sides? :rolleyes:

June 23, 1838

“Gentlemen, as debate has been concluded on the Daimyo Date’s resolution, the convention will vote on the measure. First, the measure will be reread, in case any of you fell asleep for the past month and a half.” Mizuno’s half-smile was met by a few isolated chuckles.

“Resolution 15

Owing to the prevalence of corruption throughout Japan, an independent judicial organization shall be formed to investigate said abuses. This organization shall consist of seven members appointed by the Imperial Government, seven members appointed by the Council of Daimyo, and one member appointed by the Emperor. This organization shall be known as the Anti-Corruption Force. It shall deliver a report to the Government, the Emperor, and the Council of Daimyo no less than twice a year. Once every two years, the Council of Daimyo will have the opportunity to review the Anti-Corruption Force’s charter. All modifications must be approved by the Emperor. If the Emperor chooses, His Majesty may seek the Government’s involvement in the revision of the charter.

The Anti-Corruption Force has authority to search any landowner, politician, official, or ruler. Their property and records may be searched. Penalties shall range from minor fines to imprisonment. A full code of regulations will be discussed and published by the Anti-Corruption Force with guidance from the Emperor. When an accusation of corruption has been made, the Anti-Corruption force will convene in Kyoto. Arguments for and against will be made. The verdict will be determined by vote of the Anti-Corruption Force. In case of a tie, the defendant shall be declared guilty, but will only suffer half the normal punishment.”

As Mizuno polled the Daimyo, it was not looking good. Eight daimyo stood for the proposal. Five stood against it. The four remaining daimyo, all minor nobility, began to look nervous. The fate of the proposal would be left to them. One, by one, they stood, looked at Mizuno and voted down the proposal.

Ieyoshi took a deep breath. He supported such measures, but he wanted the Anti-Corruption Force to exist under the auspices of the Government. Some daimyo, especially the smaller ones, felt that they would be giving up too much power to Daimyo Date and his triumvirate. That have be Ieyoshi’s salvation.

Mizuno stood, banging the gavel on the desk. “The resolution fails by a vote of nine to eight.”

Daimyo Date stood up, and calmly walked out of the room. He was followed by his seven fellow voters. Daimyo Hakodate stood. “Mizuno-san, I suggest the absence of too many members of the Council. The Council must have two-thirds of its members, or their representatives, present to accomplish any business. I suggest that the Council lacks that. I move to adjourn.”

Mizuno looked at Ieyoshi, could not catch his gaze, and realized he had to make the decision here. “Adjourned.” The gavel came down.

Last edited:
Dude, this Date is a real pain in the ass. The shogun is certainly hanging on by a thread.

It was nice to see that the Damiyo only rejected the vote went it went against them.

lifeless: not open combat...yet ;)

BBBD: you really have become suspicious and bloodthirsty lately. :p I wouldn't say Date is evil, just protective of his interests. His interests just run counter to the Shogun's. :D

All: Thanks for staying with me. It starts getting exciting once the Dutchies decide to start meddling. ;)

Oops, was that a hint? :D

Ahh, yes... The Dutch will be supporting who, I wonder? If anyone?

And how will they feel about the Japanese running about, murdering Christians?

Rensslaer

August 5, 1838—The Tenpo Convention

nightsky7lt.jpg

The night was dark and still, only broken by the pacing of house guards. Even the guards felt the oppressive heat, pausing for a time, to stand by the famous Tenpo pond. Some even wet their foreheads with the cool water, but those who did received frowns from the veterans. To take water was a sign of weakness, whereas standing watch through the sweltering heat was honorable.

The clouds parted revealing the moon and stars. A slight breeze rolled in from the northwest. The moonbeams illuminated the Tenpo gardens, bouncing off mirrors and the pond, creating brilliant images. The sudden light combined with the breeze fastened the guards’ attention to the center of the garden. In so doing, their eyes were not on the cloaked figure who darted from building to building, keeping to the shadows.

Hakodate noticed a ladder behind one of the huts, cast aside by laborers when their day had ended. Peasants, he sneered to himself. They needed a firm hand, or anarchy would reign. He had heard wild tales of peoples across the ocean who had no strong rulers. Supposedly they ruled themselves. Ha! That was pure fantasy. His reverie was interrupted by the challenge of Date’s house guards.

“Hold, and Identify!”

“I am the Daimyo Hakodate. The Daimyo Date summoned me to his presence.”

One of the veterans nodded to the rest. “He’s expected.”

Hakodate passed through the ring of guards, stepping into the lighted building. The guards made the mistake of looking after Hakodate, and destroying their night vision on the Date’s lanterns. The cloaked form exploded into their midst, twin blades flashing in the lantern light. The soldiers struggled to bare steel, but to no avail. Steel connected with flesh, severing tendons and jugular veins. A few cries of alarm went up, followed by screams of pain and terror. Guards from other buildings ran towards the chaos, with weapons at the ready.

The cloaked man dashed off to the right, out of the light. As the garden emptied of soldiers, another man jumped onto the top of Date’s structure. He quietly pulled a knife from his cloak, opening a hole in the thatched roof. The hole was just big enough for a human head. Takase judged the hole. It wasn’t quite big enough. Enlarging it, however, would make noise; something he could ill afford. He tucked the knife back in his cloak.

Takase tested the strength of the thatch. To his relief, the structure flexed, indicating the work had been done properly. Using his hands, he slowly pulled the thatch away from the opening. He could not rip the thatch, but it gave him another couple inches. Lowering himself down, Takase was at his most vulnerable. Anyone coming along outside would see his torso against the moon. Anyone from the inside would see a man’s legs where they should not be. Luck was with him, and Takase landed softly on his feet inside the building.

He crept to the partition in front of him. He could hear Date’s voice.

“…I’ve thought of that, Hakodate, my friend. Ieyoshi has support amongst the peasants, but few daimyo want him to succeed in his radical plans. The lesser daimyo support him, but only as a counterweight to the Clans.”

“I’m telling you, Date, this scheme is dangerous. If Ieyoshi finds out…”

“He won’t find out. He may have a strong espionage net, but we are surrounded by hundreds of our own House Guards. All servants have been sent home for the duration, and I trust my guardsmen with my life.”

“The real question is, do you trust them with your conspiracy? This isn’t just your life, Date.”

“My friend, Ieyoshi believes me to be a friend. He wouldn’t know where to start in unraveling this conspiracy. I spoke with him, man to man, last month, and I believe I convinced him that I have a simple disagreement on the issue of the peasants. I am not capable of subterfuge, you see.”

“Ha! Did he really believe you?”

“Yes, he did. I don’t know how a man that naïve beat Takeda.”

Laughter emanated from behind the partition, as Takase turned, and left.