• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

fj44

Colonel
67 Badges
Aug 31, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Hello all!

This is my first AAR, though I've played the game for a couple months now. The first update will come over the next couple days.

As I've never tried an uncivilized country, I'm trying a GC as Japan. This should be difficult, as I'm not a great player.

These are my personal goals/house rules.

1) To be recognized as a major power (Japan must be a civilized nation at the end of the game in the top ten).
2) To not compromise national values (Gradual change to democracy and civilization--no self-inflicted revolutions).
3) To support other Asian nations in throwing off the European yoke.
4) To not use any major exploits (if I perform an action that a reader deems exploitative, I will discontinue it).

Again, the first update will come by the weekend. Thanks in advance for reading my work. Any and all constructive comments are appreciated. :)

Interesting premise, I shall look forward to the start. :)

Sir Clive

I like the part where you will help other Asian nations throwing off their European/American overlord. Will be watching.

mib said:
Is #3 genuine or true-to-life? (ie. The Great Lie?)
I'll try to make it genuine. :)

It's a goal. I don't know if I'll succeed or not, but part of the fun is trying. I'll be freeing them from the European yoke, not the Japanese. :p

Ooh! Very, very good!

This is one I've always wanted to try.

I'll be watching with unfeigned interest! ;)

Best wishes! Especially with #3, which I think will be hard.

Rensslaer

Takeda's Civil War

June 18, 1836 – Tokugawa Ienari’s palace

As the summer thunderstorms rolled through Edo, seven aged men sat in a circle, looking dispassionately at a younger man. Wearing the cloak that marked him as the Shogun Tokugawa Ienari, the young man sipped at his tea. He put the porcelain teacup down on his saucer, and looked calmly at the youngest advisor who sat across from him.

Tokugawa Takeda had married Maeda Kanu many years ago, when Kanu was considered the blossom of Japan. Back when she was the daughter of the now deceased Daimyo Maeda. This move, however brought distrust from the other clans, and in the end, the dying shogun named his younger son, Ienari, shogun.

“Takeda-san, we have come to this place to discuss the future of the empire, but you raise objections to my every suggestion. If you lack anything constructive to say, why do you speak at all?” The insult was plain, and designed to wound, but strike the truth, as well.

Takeda rose slowly, his legendary temper running white-hot. “Ienari-san, you will regret this day.” Those calm words sent chills down his fellow advisors’ spines. Though deprived of his birthright, Takeda was still the second most powerful man in Japan. He was also the de facto leader of the opposition to the more liberal Ienari’s rule. Ienari had done things to irritate the reactionaries at the Court, even pushing for building a palace for the best glassmakers to work in.

Takeda turned on heel, and strode out of the room without a glance back. His bodyguards followed. The aged Kumaro Marukomo looked up from his tea. “You have made a foolish decision young Ienari. Men as angry as that will cause problems for years to come. Now, with the empire set to go in a different direction, you need stability, not chaos. I fear he may even try to rally the daimyo to overthrow your rule.”

“I understand, old friend.” Warmth crossed Ienari’s face. “I made a mistake today. Your words strike home, but I fear you may expect the worst. Takeda will calm down, and he knows that a full civil war will destroy any chance of claiming the shogunate for himself.”

“I always expect the worst. Have I ever expected good things to happen?” The wry smile on the old man’s face was mixed with worry. Not only for the empire, but his flowers would not like this heavy rain. The smile completely disappeared as the advisors filed out. No, he thought, Ienari has no idea about the ferocity of the gathering storm. Though if Japan survived the typhoon, a beautiful sunrise would come soon after.

Hope. All we are is hope. Marukomo slowly walked towards his apartments lost in thought.

Last edited:
Beautiful start. Quite a few Jap AARs we have here in the forum. Looking forward to the next installment.

Japan is perhaps my favourite nation to play as. My first game was with Japan and my current one too!

If you're planning to help your neighbours out, does this mean you'll not be annexing Korea?

Good luck.

Takeda's Civil War

November 2, 1836 – The Imperial Palace

“Your Highness, long have some of your people dwelt on the outlying islands without benefit of Your divine governance. Some of these poor souls have not even heard of Your mighty and illustrious name.” Emperor Ninko looked down on his shogun. That obnoxious man merely wanted the ceremonial acceptance of his plans. It wasn’t like the emperor was permitted to refuse…

“It is right that these people should be welcomed into Our divine grace. We direct our shogun to begin making plans to bring these islanders into the empire.”

That old bat is brainless, Ienari thought. If he paid attention to politics at all, he’d know that a rejection of my plans would cripple me for years. “This humble servant is pleased to serve You.” Ienari withdrew from the chamber, looking humble. On his way out, he passed his favorite painting. The first emperor, Jimmu, looked down on him with a determined expression. Now that was a ruler! Ienari prayed that another one would rise, either as a shogun or an emperor. Someone needed to fix the empire.

Ienari stepped into the carriage which would take him back to his palace. Many things troubled him. The biggest was convincing the Russians to ship processed lumber and cement without either country realizing it. He suspected that the Russians had already figured it out. He knew that if Japan ever realized it, he would be dead. Even if they didn’t find out, the reactionaries had plenty of reason to hate him. His life would be a short life, a flight of a butterfly.

He had no news of Takeda’s wherabouts. None of his agents had reported contacts with the opposition. In Ienari’s mind, no news was worse than bad news. Perhaps Marukomo was right, he thought. Perhaps Takeda is plotting to destroy me. Though the man was good at hiding, he wasn’t invisible. When he tried to unite the daimyo against Ienari, he would be revealed.

Ienari scowled to himself. Such times made pessimists out of everyone. He had even received a report from Sapporo regarding rampant lawlessness. A caravan of sake was raided just north of the city, and almost thirty thousand bottles were lost to bandits. A posse was formed by the Daimyo Date, but they were not likely to find any raiders. Ienari permitted himself another scowl as the carriage pulled up in front of his palace. Perhaps after a good night’s sleep, he’d feel ready to combat Japan’s difficulties. Marukomo would provide valuable insight, but first he needed to clear his head.

Last edited:
superman said:
That'll probably mean he WILL be annexing Koreans :cool:

BTW, what is the fastest way to civilise Nippon?

Garuda said:
Japan is perhaps my favourite nation to play as. My first game was with Japan and my current one too!

If you're planning to help your neighbours out, does this mean you'll not be annexing Korea?

@superman: You're probably right. :) But... you'll have to wait and see.

This is my first time playing as Japan, so I really don't know the fastest way to civilization. I suspect prestige will be the hardest, but we shall see.

@Garuda: Glad to hear you've played Japan before. Feel free to give advice, as I really don't really have a long term plan just yet.

Regarding Korea, I may need to save them from the European exploiters, perhaps preemptively. :p

Garuda said:
Good luck.
lifeless said:
good luck!
Rensslaer said:
Best wishes!

This seems to be a common theme. :) Many thanks for your encouragement thus far.

To All: Comments are greatly appreciated. If you feel like my updates aren't coming fast enough, just tell me, and I'll see what I can do. If you have any critiques for my writing, they are welcome. The next update will be posted sometime this afternoon (EST).

Certainly setting up some tough times ahead for Japan. It's always an adventure. But great start. Best of luck my fellow Atlantan. I'll be following.

One word of advice...consider real estate on mainland China. It helps, I hear. ;)

Takeda's Civil War

November 20, 1836 – Tokugawa Ienari’s Palace

Tokugawa Ienari looked at the report on his desk with pride. His hand grabbed for the inkwell. Reinking his pen, he wrote in neat characters: “Approved by order of the Shogun” on the bottom of the page. His son, Ieyoshi, was proving to be quite a genius at politics and administration. If only he had been born first. His oldest son, Furinto, was another story.

Furinto was a reactionary who cautiously sided against his father on many issues. Not only would he oppose common sense, but failed to grasp the subtleties of the court. No shogun lasted more than five years without some political skill. Those who lacked any at all brought down dynasties. To preserve the Tokugawa shogunate, Ienari knew that Ieyoshi must inherit. However, disowning Furinto would bring civil war.

That must not happen, he thought to himself. I am close enough with Takeda; I do not need another insulted clansman instigating the daimyo to revolt. A soft knock on the door interrupted his thoughts.

“Come!”

The door swung open, revealing the ancient Kumaro Marukomo clothed in kimono and moonlight. He staggered in, leaning on his cane. His age must really be affecting him, Ienari thought. The shogun rose, a gesture of respect towards his mentor, and helped Marukomo to his seat. Ienari then retook his seat.

“Marukomo-san, I seek your counsel.”

“So I gathered.” The old man’s face betrayed pain, but the faint smile still touched his lips.

“Do you know any way to deal with the succession?”

“There are two ways, Ienari, however, you must find them for yourself. I will say that this problem will explode out of control soon, if you do not deal with it.” Marukomo leaned back against the cushions, looking at Ienari, as if expecting a reply.

Ienari thought to himself for a while, eventually realizing that there was no honorable way out. Assassination, if discovered, would bring shame on his house. Denunciation would bring civil war. Acceptance of Furinto would bring down the government. There seemed no way out.

“Marukomo-san, you are infinitely wiser than myself. Could you shed light on how this situation will erupt?”

“Young Ienari, you must make a decision soon, as the opposition is coalescing against you. Rumors bring word of Takeda rallying the daimyo in the countryside. Here, hesitancy may cost you more than you know.” The old man suddenly winced. “Ienari, I must retire. My body is not what it used to be. I will come back tomorrow at midday.”

Marukomo limped out, leaving the room colder than when he entered. He left a small scrap of paper with the letters 'FLINT' written in Marukomo's hand. Ienari studied the scrap, losing himself in thought. Sometime during the night, he dozed off. When he awoke at dawn, he knew exactly had he had to do.

Last edited:
Setting up the first of many revolts, I presume. :D Good luck.