• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

What do you think about DAIM?

• Excellent, one of my favourite mods!

Votes: 143 23,2%
  • Good, I often play with DAIM

Votes: 150 24,4%
  • Tried it out, but don't like it

Votes: 31 5,0%
  • Never used it, and don't intend to

Votes: 26 4,2%
  • Daim? Dein? Dain? What?

Votes: 109 17,7%
  • Saippuakauppias (None of the options above apply to me, but I wanted to participate)

Votes: 157 25,5%

• Total voters
Just about the best mod I have ever played! Honestly, I knew it would be a challenge, but I didn't think I would be spending days on end thinking about way of beating the AI.

Played as Italy, on Hard, with an Aggressive AI and it blow my socks off.As soon as I finished the war in Eastern Europe with my allies (that the German Ai was smart enough to invite into the alliance.) the UK declared war.They decimated my navy and took all my territory in Africa, but I had the last laugh by holding them in Turkey. I even saw New Zealand Troops attempting to break through. Now that was enough to put a BIG smile on my face.

Its just they way this mod works, whether intentional or not, it made me feel like everything rested on my decisions and minute planning. Usually as Italy, I can expect Germany to do just about everything, but everything was so intense, it actually made me envy the days when I had been at peace. Eventually I managed to mass enough troops across the border, to lead a combined armed force of Hungarian, Romanian, Bulgarian, German and Italian troops into Allied territory. Within a year the whole of Africa was under my control.

I'm not trying to present an image of an incompetent AI that will let you do all the work, far from it. Germany was also launching its own invasions, taking Norway and fighting France. It also did the one thing I have never seen the AI do in any game. It actually invaded the Netherlands and Belgium. I don't know why it did it, but I like to think that it had figured out that by widening the line it knew that France wouldn't be able to cope and fall apart.

Its 1947 now and I'm still playing the game. I love this Mod and I think all the work you put into it really pays off. That said, please tell me you plan to continue this into HOI3? I would pay good money to see you do that.

Rather disappointed by the AI not being better at challenging an human France.

Started my first game with daim in 36. Playing France I expanded the Maginot line to the sea with a Calais trap (instead of fortifying Dunkerke, I fortified Amiens and Dieppe so I could encircle germans in Calais when they come, cutting their supply in Ghent or Dunkerke). Things happened historically untill 1939 (except Japan conquering whole China around end of '38).

When the war started I realised the german AI wasn't more prepared than vanilla AI against an early french raid, so I conquered the border provinces then took Stuttgart and the Cologne region cut from supplies (I destroyed about 8 divisions there) and some other provinces with my Maginot line army (although it was rather weak has most of my efforts had been on the affermentioned fortifications) when they invaded Poland. I even succeeded to take Munich and Nuremberg for some days with cavalry scouts disrupting german production there for some months.

The german reaction was somewhat better than in Vanilla, as two armies of about 16 divisions each arrived to retake the provinces before they finished Poland (when in vanilla Germany seem to be unable to do two things at a time, and concentrate all the forces against Poland untill victory). I lost my 3 or 4 most advanced divisions (not a great loss : all french cavalry) that were unable to reach Sarbruken and Stuttgart during this counter attack. But while the AI retook most lost provinces early, it still letted me keep the provinces bordering the maginot line for half the winter (bad weather helped me to win several battles in november and december, and it's only around end of january when all their forces where back from ex-Poland - which resisted rather longer than usually - that germany pushed the french back to Maginot line).

When the germans attacked the low countries my line of new forts (Reims, Valencienne, Amiens, Lille, Dieppe) were level 7 or 8 with about 8 divisions on each (except Lille where I had my main army of 25 divisions + 5 garrisons) + reserves armies of 5 or 6 divisions in Chaumont, Compiegne and Lyons and unchanged garrisons on the Italian border (+ some militias to keep mediterranean coast). Many of my troops were still '36 infantry as I focused on production with no more than 3 or 4 IC on upgrades (I had researched infrantry up to 41, but they weren't already out). Considering the insane german numeric advantage, I was afraid at this point thinking my defenses would be unsufficient to stop them (by the way had german concentrated 70+ divisions against Reims they would very probably have pierced my line despite the level 7 fort and the weak belgium divisions refugied there in addition to my forces). To slow them I set all my bombers (and the Belgium and Netherland ones -only countries I military controlled in this game) on logistical strike in Flanders/Wallonia.

But reaching the french border, the german just decided it was time to replay 1914-1918. They don't even tried and failed to assault my forts, they stayed with huge armies on the neighbouring provinces doing nothing for a month or two (letting me time to add one more fortification level and have my first infantries '41 out). They don't even advanced to take the undefended Dunkerke before a month (at this point I thought that the AI was clever, and realised it shouldn't advance too much as long I owned Lille, threatening Ghent).

But it wasn't even that. Around end of august, 25 german divisions advanced in Dunkerke, then Calais, exactly like I had planned since the beginning (to pull the germans I just had to retreat my Amiens army to Paris, then go back). While the AI had let about 15 divisions at Ghent and Dunkerke, a double diversion (simultaneous attack Valencienne-Mons and Dieppe-Calais) allowed me to make them move as I wanted to. Then I attacked Ghent with about 25 divisions against 10 supported by my full navy firing on the beach (and the english navy coming to my help too), cutting about 35 germans divisions from supply, and finally destroying about 20 (the AI was efficient at counter attacking and only lost the most advanced infantries, its armored divisions piercing back with the Dunkerke army).

Then the AI entered the 14-18 mode again for whole autumn and winter, my only surprise compared to vanilla being the appearance of a 15+ divisions german army in Turin and some real attempts by the axis to take Grenoble (by chance, I had just reinforced the Armee des Alpes before and helped by snow succeeded to repell the assaults). Italian AI also managed to take Marseille (only defended by some militias) for some days, but was pushed back to the sea by a counter attack of the 4 or 5 reserves divisions I had in Lyons.

Germans were more successful in Norway than usual (debarking two mountain divisions wasn't sufficient to stop them, unlike in vanilla they came with more than one corps) and conquered the whole country before winter. Italian AI was a little more successfull than usual in Africa too, pushing the english to eastern bank of Suez, while taking Tunis on the other side (but in the meantime I conquered Ethiopia with my two Djibouti divisions reinforced by some indonesian netherland troops). But by the second half of 41 italians started losing everything they had conquered, exactly like in history/vanilla, english retaking province after province with armored/motorized forces debarked in Tunisia, while they are also at war against Greece. Germans didn't helped them at all, too busy garrisoning our huge fronteer. Around march 41, they advanced a second time to Calais, but letting more divisions behind, so I couldn't succeed to cut them from supplies again. They also finally attempted one (!) massive assault on Reims in may 41 with about 60 divisions, but far too late to succeed (the fort now being level 9 and garrisoned with 15+ '41 infantry all with advanced artillery brigades stopped them without problem) and some smaller in the south (they took and lost Nice several times).

In 1942 (while USA and Japan are still strangely out of the war, perhaps because Japan-China war ended too soon making the USA never embargo japan or bugging pearl harbour event ? I've not really investigated the events file, but it's probably something like that) war started between Germany and Soviet Union, and it seem the germans weren't at all ready for that, losing 7 or 8 border provinces in the following weeks. Now their troops are starting to leave my border, and I will probably be able to easily free the low countries and invade Italy (which just keep 3-4 provinces in the Alexandria region in Africa) around summer.

Bilan, AI looked slightly better than in vanilla, but there wasn't that big of a difference (at least germans seem to absolutely need to succeed their conquest of France to be able to do anything later and perhaps be better than in vanilla).

ps : anyway I voted "good" because considering how bad is the vanilla AI even little improvements are good to take.

Last edited:
What can i say :?: Some things do not work properly.

I was playing as Canada building industry until autumn / winter 1939. When Germans DOWed Denmark and Norway I had landed in Narwik with force of 12 div - most mountain.
Nazis took all over Norway and bordered me with force about 30 div and do NOTHING. They don't even try to make bloodbath for me. I was standing there secure to 1945 when Soviet offensive come.
But UK. . .they realy failed. When Italy joined the war in late 1940 or proclamaction of France Vichy, they took easly Egypt and Sudan. English forces were sent as "loan" to France but France couldn't supply them. This "loan" was propably low coz englishmans gave France 4 militians.
But i controlled situation and took back Northern Africa to France and UK just with force of 15 div - mostly armoured. Just cutting Italy of the supplies.
When USA joined the war in 1941 they do nothing until 1946. They just sent about 100 div to Plymouth. When they at last landed, Soviets were in Belgium and then. . .Madagascar proclaimed independece and we had truce with Germany :)
Soviets started pushing Germans to France and i coudn't do nothing coz their Agressivness was too low :)
When war in Europe was over, event had fired 'bout Europe after War. Soviets agreed to create new countries but only DDR was a puppet. Poland, Hungry, Romania, Bulgaria, Denmark were just Stalinist. Nothing more.
Than time has come for Japan. Game started really. . .going bad. Japs took over India and Pakistan. USA took them back with 2 div (!) because I had landed in Siam and annexed them. I don't know why Japs were going back to Junnan and grouping with really big forces. When at last Americans come with aid in Indochina i tried to land in Manchuria with 20 divs from Narvik. I had annexed Manchuria and push Japs back to Yellow River. When I was trying to win in China, USA with UK were playin "Whose got bigger army" on border in Hong Kong. But at last in 1948 they started offensive and i had annexed China. And than something get screwed. Australia landed in Japan and annexed them and for some reason i don't understand Soviet Union took MY provinces in Manchuria and Korea. Oh i forgot - i liberate Korea as a ONE nation, when Japs get annexed Korea get separated for next reason i don't understand.

The game was realy funny but political map looks like was painted by daltonist. . .