• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
L - MEANWHILE IN THE WEST, part 1

Chapter 50 - Meanwhile in the West, part 1

Republican Party HQ, Washington D.C., USA, June 11th, 1940, 10 hours

Jill Tessa Ryan, republican candidate for President, would have been surprised how much she had in common with the German Fuehra. She, too, was an ardent labourer and early riser, she, too, made a morning run with her security detail, albeit there where no three beauties accompanying her.
The brunette history professor turned politician had her briefings too. So she was for example entitled to a full briefing on military matters by members of the general and admiral staff.
At todays occasion, she met with Georgina Marshall, a stunning black lady, and Jennifer Eisenhower, a rather cute blonde. The navy had sent Commander Cindy Sherman, a Black too, and Army Air Force was present in person of Agatha P. Arnold, a cool blonde with hair in a tight knot and piercing blue eyes, who would have well fitted in a nazi-luftwaffe uniform. Finally there was Arlene Jackson of CIA, who had followed Jill on the post in the agency.
The german invasion of USSR was about a week old, and it look very strongly like a new triumph for the Superfrauen.
If the replacement of the wicked Stalina by this Shmikova-chick mattered at all, was highly debatable. Jill had seen a translation of her first speech to the soviet people. Rather good, even speaking openly about the stalinist terror and communist mismanagement of the economy. She had promised an end to terror and an end to collectivization. And she had called on the people to stand up against the fascist invaders. Well, this part had to be expected.
Arlene Jackson and Jennifer Eisenhower delivered the briefing about the ongoing operation of the Germans.
6 german armoured thrusts had penetrated deeply (a small insider just for Kurt Steiner) into the USSR, followed by "normal" infantry formations. The Red Army seemed already beaten, tank and air forces destroyed, and their infantry masses like a herde of longhorns without guidance drifting about between the german thrusts, relentlessly attacked by the german Stukas.
In the North, the Duna had been crossed and Riga and Dunaburg taken. In the Center, Minsk had fallen and a huge number of red divisions was encircled west of it. The German Panzers were already rolling towards Smolensk. In the Ukraine, Lwow had fallen on the first day ( where the Germans immediately set up a puppet regime of ukrainian fascists), and now the Panzers were approaching Kiev, hindered more by the rainfalls causing mud than by the Russians. Another Panzer Armee was rushing south towards Odessa, threatening to trap all russian forces in Bessarabia in another huge pocket.
German bombers constantly attacked the railway stations to make retreat for the Soviets impossible. Furthermore, german paratroopers and SET seemed to be everywhere, on crossroads, bridges, airfields. Jennifer Eisenhower doubted that the soviet high command even knew what was going on and where the "front" actually stood. Her assessment was that the Germans would be in Moscow, Leningrad and Rostov by the beginning of July at the latest.
All this was grim news. With the USSR defeated, the Kruger could turn the whole Wehrmacht west and south and concentrate on Britain. If the USA would enter the war, it would have to face the victorious, some thought invincible, Superfrauen-army and air force. And Arlene Jackson reported the Germans were already building a large fleet too.
Britain, on the other hand, was hardly a strong ally. Its greatest value lay in its strategic positions, in the Middle East, and foremost, the British Isles itself, ideal staging point for a liberation of Europe and for an air campaign.
But even if Jill won the elections and managed to bring the US in, this was very far in the future. There were enemies much nearer. For example the Mexicans, willing pawns of the Superfrauen.
Arlene turned to this issue and informed Jill that the Germans had obviously planned everything well. In the months between the fascist coup in Mexico and the beginning of the war in Europe, german ships had delivered great amounts of arms, planes, ammunition, spare parts and supplies to the country, and german "advisors" swarmed it now.
The Mexicans now fielded an army of 18 divisions, all armed with german equipment, plus a tank brigade with light german Panzer IIs and a fighter wing with about 100 Me 109, flown by mexican pilots trained by the Luftwaffe. To make matters worse, at Vera Cruz was a submarine base for german u-boats, unused as of now, as Mexico was not at war with Britain and the Commonwealth.
Jills obvious question was:
"Can they take back Texas, Arizona and even California with that?"
Georgina Marschall answered:
"As things are now, and if Roosevelt wins the election, they will stay that way, the answer is a clear: Yes, they can. The whole US-Army comprises of 12 infantry and 3 cavalry divisions. In case of war, there will be about 18 badly trained and equipped NationalGuard divisions. Tanks? World War One models, likewise artillery. Ammunition, spare parts? Hardly enough for a single battle. Airplanes? Biplane fighters of the Thirties and obsolete bombers. There is a decent fighter model, the Hughes Tigress C, an enhanced version of the plane the volunteers flew in China. But the order of 360 planes was cancelled last month, killed by congress. War mongering, you know. Agatha?"
The blonde air force general took over:
"Well, there is also a very good heavy bomber, the B-17 Flying Fortress, but its the same story. We got a wing of 40 planes, but not the 400 I asked for. Had we these, we might threaten to turn Mexico-City into a parking lot, that might give the Arranza-bitch pause."
Jill sighed, lit another Lucky Strike and asked Cindy Sherman:
"Well, Commander, I hope our navy is at least first class in the world."
"Uuuh, Lady Ryan, I am not so sure anymore. With the Mexican boats we will make short work, but its the Japs we are worried about. That is, some in Admiral staff. The majority still believes in battleships, and we have 4 new Montana class superships in service and two more will be ready during the year. But the Japs are building lots of large carriers, as Arlene told us, and some think, among them Admiral King and Admiral Halsey, that flattops are the way of the future. And overall, our navys ships are old, apart from the Montanas and some cruisers, and the Japs ships are mainly modern or at least modernized.
Take to that the fleet the Huns are building, I see us in real difficulties in case of war with both Japs and Superfrauen."
Arlene said:
"We have reports of troop concentrations of the jap army at the siamese border. We fear Siam is next on the Shogas list. Though it would be even worse if the yellow chicks assault Russia in Siberia."
"Any indications for that?"
"No, the Japs seemed surprised by the german assault. If they act, they will first have to build up troops and logistics for an offensive in Siberia or Central Asia."
"And a move on India from Yunan or Sinkiang? Mountains and jungles seem to be no hindrance for them, as China has shown. They could move on the Dutch East Indies too."
"Possible, but we think they are not yet ready for that. They probably fear that would bring us in, and they want their carriers operational before they take us on. Thats Admiral Kings assessment, and we at CIA agree."
"Any plans to expand the army, air force, navy by our administration? Or to broaden the industrial base?"
"Ah, as far as we knew, no, Lady Ryan. Lady Roosevelt wants America to stay out, and she wants to be president for a third time, and to get isolationist votes away from the Lindbergh, she is determined not to propose a single defense bill. There are even rumors she plans to withdraw our troops from the Philippines."
Jill shrugged.
"Politically a very bad signal, but militarily sound, I think. The Philippines are lost in case of war."
"Uuuh, how come you say so, Lady Ryan? We have a plan to bring the navy in with reinforcements."
"The big battleship navy? Against the carriers, Commander Sherman? Didnt you yourself think carriers are superior? So?"
"Ahh, well... yes."
"I sum up: Germans and Japs are continuing to gobble the world up while the current administration does nothing to stop them, and even nothing for self defense. Looks really like I have to win this campaign. I dont look forward to the speeches. 200 students is one thing, 20.000 people in a stadion quite another."
"You will do fine, Lady Ryan," Arlene said, not calling her Jill in front of the military types.
"Your confidence in me is flattening..."

The Crooked Dragon, Bar in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, inofficial home of US Delta Force, same day, in the afternoon...

Maria Cipoletti fingered a new Marlboro out of the pack and mouthed it. She played a bit with her lips on the filter while she studied her magazine. "Packaged Delicacies issue June 40", to be exact. The professional bondage models in it where one thing, but the "package of the month", a celebrity in bondage, was always the best. Who hadnt thought of this actress, sports star, singer or selfmade-woman or that in latex, ropes and various gags?
In this issue, it was Jill Barnetts turn. The teenager star of various silly movies had turned eighteen last month and was such eligible for adult pictures. Her fans must all have waited for this. The slender brunette with the huge dark eyes was shown in various binds, which details we will leave out here.
Our Delta girl of italian origin was mildly aroused, mainly because she thought the Barnett a silly dumb girl without acting talent and seeing her silenced and more or less immobilized appealed to Maria.
She now lit her cigarette and indulged in smoking. The Delta was off duty this week, and used to waste the days and evenings in the Dragon, reading magazines or books, listening to the radio and observing the staffs failing attempts to install the brand new television receiver.
In the end, it was Amy Wilder with her knack for everything technical and mechanical, who helped the girls of the bar out and got the machine running.
It was turned on now, showing an ugly, snowy, grey and white picture. CBS ran a TV programme 16 hours a day since this February. Actually, there was a Basketball game between New York and Detroit, but one could hardly make out the longlegged girls on the screen, let alone the ball. It should have been in color, that would help, Maria thought. Being rather short, she had had no chance in basket ball in highschool, enough reason to despise it thoroughly in her view.
But Amy and some others were glued to the tube, and it seemed somehow they understood what was going on. One of the Deltas in the group, Cora Mankoff, came from Detroit, while Amy swore on the New Yorkers. Needless to say, it was rather loud in the bar.
Maria turned her attention back to the magazine. Bondage was part of the american way of life, but to play with it, and to be in earnest be abducted by a damned blonde bitch from Germany where two things, Maria thought like every day, sharpening her hatred and anger like a blade.
I will get you for that, Skorzeny. It will be you bound and gagged before me, humiliated and helpless, she thought.
"What are you looking so darkly? Magazine not good?"
It was blonde Kate Prescott, the Texan. Maria looked up and managed a smile.
"I thought of this Skorzeny bitch. Probably has a big field day again over in Russia, abducting some Maruschkas and Tatjanas."
"You really hate her, dont you? Well, The Germans are winning big time over there, thats what papers and radio say. Soon they will be in Moscow. Will be hard for the British to beat them when they have their backs free. But Jill Ryan will win the presidency, and then we go over and show them whos mistress. Maybe we Deltas go there and package the Kruger and your Skorzeny. Wouldnt that be nice?"
"Oh, yes!" There was much patience in Marias voice.
"Anything new from the Mendez thing?"
"No, Maria, I gather they have as of yet not found a way to bring us in. We know the location of this criminal, Lady Tucker told me, but planning has not advanced very far."
"Too bad. She can board an airship to Germany anytime, running to their mistresses."
"When we are over there in Mexiko, we should package the Arranza bitch in the same stroke, freeing the country of this dictatress. Should solve our problems down there pretty well."
"Now thats an idea, Kate..."

Delta girl Maria Cipoletti and her favourite vice. (Yes, I know Kurt, you hate the actress.)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The USSR seems to be on the verge of collapse. Too easy for Germany, perhaps?

Chapter 50 - Meanwhile in the West, part 2

Chapter 50 - Meanwhile in the West - part 2

A bar, Los Angeles, California, USA, June 12th, 1940, about 15 hours

Another one was entitled to military briefings, as there was a third woman running for president this year.
Charline Lindbergh of America First did listen intently at such occasions, and, most naturally, she discussed matters - all matters, after sex with her lover Kathrin Kaskas.
This same Kaskas met her best friend today, another American Indian, a businesswoman, whom she had made first acquaitenance in 1937 at a party. Quickly, both women got along very well, the more so as they were of the same tribe - the Crow - and shared a common language.
Drinking cocktails, smoking, laughing, even giggling, the two ladies chatted in their dialect, which was totally unintellegible for the two Secret Service bodyguards the Kaskas had to take around at all times.
These two were accustomed to that, sitting at the next table, drinking water and smoking too, but doing their job, which wasnt easy with the movie star. Every now and then, fans of the diva craved for an autogramme, virtually assaulting their lady like assassins. The Kaskas took that with nonchalance, smiling, giving out her signature and so on. But the two body guards died a thousand deaths each time.
Most naturally, the american indian businesswoman, who went by the name of Jane Sacajewa, was a turko-german Abwehr-officress and Kathrins case officer. The Kaskas had been deemed so valuable from the start, that this woman had undertaken the task of learning her native dialect, which made for totally secure communication, and that right in front of the Secret Service.
And so, while the Kaskas told her everything Lindbergh had said about the military briefing, "Jane" was busy memorizing. In due course, her report would reach Admiral Anette Canaris and ultimately the eyes of the German Fuhra herself.
And so, in two days from now, the German leadress would know all there was to know about the sad state of the US military.
Her ultimate dream was that Kathrins lover Charline Lindbergh would win the presidency. Apart from Lindberghs known isolationism, it would be a priceless asset in the years to come for the Reich.
"Jane", her real name was Aische, remembered the plastic surgery she had to undergo to get the looks of an American Indian. In retrospect, it had been worth it. She lit a fresh Pall Mall and giggled, just to stay in cover...

Kathrin Kaskas plays a dangerous game. The stakes: Her head against the future of the USA.

British Embassy, Washington D.C., USA, June 18th, 1940, in the morning

"You are sure you want to go through with this, squire Eaton?"
"I am deadly sure, Mam, if I might say so."
"Well, I wouldnt have put it that way, because in death its exactly where it can end. I know you are the worlds most famous male aviator, and everyone reads with excitement the story about your adventures in China, so your braveness is well known to me."
"So? Whats the problem then, Mam?"
"Look, squire, under the terms of the treaty in question, american citizens are allowed to volunteer in the Empires armed forces without loosing their american citizenship. Several brave girls have done that. But, you, aaah, how to put it... you are, ... a male!"
"Thats quite obvious, Mam. Did the treaty say anything about the gender? Surely males have volunteered already for nurse duty in british hospitals, tending to the victims of the german bombing raids. I intend to help them too - by shooting down in flames these hun bitches. I am familiar with the Hughes Tigress as anyone can be, I am sure I can master a british Spitfire or Hurricane too."
Lady Colonel Scarlett Brithlethorpe-Weedborough, her Majestys woman in place for the american volunteers, looked decidedly unhappy. She was a conservative woman, lesbian to the bone, alle males she knew was her deceased father, a simple begetter, and a brother who, of all things, collected butterflies, and to whom her contact in the last twenty years was very seldom and erratic. Not counting the odd male servant in the manor back home.
She had to admit this rather decent looking and behaving male was famous throughout the states, if not the world, and he was a fighter ace in his own right. But it was simply not the way things should be - males fighting, killing, getting killed eventually. That was unnatural, if not outright unholy.
But she had to stick to her duty and the words of the treaty. There was no mentioning of gender in the text. There was no way around it - she had to accept this male.
Looking as if just having biten into a lemon, she managed to say:
"Well then, very well, welcome to the war and the empire, squire Eaton. You can sign up here, where the cross is."
"I can read, Mam."
"Oh, yes, sorry, sure, fine, fine."
What had become of the world?

Bill Eaton,the worlds most famous male aviator and the only male fighter pilot.

Albernia Einsteins labratory, Princetown University, New Jersey, USA,
June 20th, 1940, about 15 hours

"Just step into the beam, Jane. You can take Noodles into your lap." suggested Lady Einstein to Jane Oppenheimer, who clearly hesitated in front of the gleaming green beam of energy.
"Will we not be mixed up? You know, on the other side a womans body with a poodle head, like in a horror movie..."
"Dont be silly, Jane. Its a portal, it opens a channel through the hyperspace to our destination. There is no mingling and mixing involved. Come on, its tried and tested. It works just fine."
"Where does it lead to?"
"Thats a surprise."
"Probably to the other side of the building."
"We will see, Jane. Now come on. Here, take my hand if you like. Esther, everything ready?"
"Yes, Lady Professor."
Noodles, her famous poodle, clutched tightly to her chest, Jane finally stepped into the light, followed by Albernia.
She had the sensation of a shower, but she didnt get wet. It took only a fracture of a second. Only one step, and both women stood in another room. It was early in the morning. Could that be? Jane smelled the sea too.
Albernia smiled and led her to a window. Peering out, Jane saw what could only be the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco.
Aghast, she stepped back.
"This, this is impossible!"
"Dont give me that, Jane, not you."
"Noodles, do you believe that?"
The poodle barked once, probably not as a comment to the sight but because he wanted to be down on the ground again.
"The implications, Albernia! It will revolutionize travel and transport. How did you... and in this short time..."
"Well, I started already in Germany, and as I emigrated here in 33, I continued right away. It still is a bit complicated, the process and the transmitter itself need serious work before the public can use it."
"It has also military implications!"
"I knew you would bring that up, Jane, you and your atomic bomb."
"Major Grooves has to see that. She is running our project for the Army."
"A mere Major? Uh - Oh! Anyway, I agree that the fascists must be stopped. So, bring over this Major and we will show her the Golden Gate bridge. And now, do you want an icecream here or shall we go back?"
"It is a two-way machine?"
"The transmitter is both a sender and a receiver. You still need two stations to travel between. I have a second transmitter over here. May I introduce Whitney to you? You obviously hadnt noticed her presence."
"Oh, excuse me, Whitney, I am Jane. A fascinating machine."
"Indeed, Lady Oppenheimer, indeed."
"It will change the world..."

Jane Oppenheimer learns about a miracle of science.

Noodles, Janes poodle, usually more interested in bones than in science.

Albernia Einstein, deliverer of miracles. Her hair cut, on the other hand, is a bit out of style.

Office of Beyonce Tucker, chief of US Delta Force, Atlanta, Georgia, USA,
June 22nd 1940, 10.20 hours

"Take seats, you two. You wont like what I have to tell you."
Maria Cipoletti and Amy Wilder changed a look and sat down. To their surprise, Beyonce was smoking again, obviously having abandoned her quitting operation.
"Do you know what that is?"
Amy opinioned:
"Ahh, the newest issue of Lasciviousness and Beauty, the bestselling gossip magazine. But what..."
"They have a story with pictures from a party of this Arranza bitch in Mexico. And lookie here, who is giving the dictatress a light for her cigarette? Mercedes Mendez, our criminal we are to abduct from this country to bring her to justice, clad in a golden dress, gel in her hair, fine make up, jewelry to boot. The bitch is personal guest of Mexicos head of state."
Maria and Amy starred at the picture, changed another look. Maria shoved automatically a Marlboro between her lips and said:
"But what does this change? I mean..."
"It changes everything! The mission is a NO-go. The damned woman lives in the palace, shares the meals and the swimming pool with the Arranza, and most probably her bed too. We have orders to forget about the issue - from NCA."
"NCA?" Maria made a confused face.
Amy intersected helpfully:
"National Command Authority. The Lady President herself."
"OOh."
And then:
"Goddess damnit! We could go there and package the dictatress too and bring them both out. Her regime will probably collapse and we and the Mexicans would be rid of another big problem."
"Stop daydreaming, Maria," Beyonce Tucker hissed.
"We dont abduct a foreign head of state. We are not the german Superfrauen. The mission is dead."
"Great. Just great." Maria lit her cigarette and puffed angrily.
Amy sighed:
"Well, it would have been to good to be true. Something else, Beyonce? I have a Lasagne in the oven over at the casino."
"Oh, yes. We finally have something else to do. The Secret Service asked for our help. We are to play bodyguards for the presidential candidates during their campaign speeches. No, dont say it, I have already taken your preferences into account. You two will lead the team for Lady Ryan. You will meet Valery again. Lightens that your mood, Maria?"
"Hmmpf!"
Amy smiled:
"Isnt she cute when she is angry? No wonder the Skorzeny fell in love with her."
"Would you please stop this silly talking about love and the blonde bitch? I am not..."
"Yeah, Maria, we all know that, dont we?"

Amy Wilder, Delta girl, knows her priorities. A cancelled mission comes second to a Lasagne in the oven.

I've just read the first quarter of the chapter and it reminds me of Phillip Kerr.

Mmmh... the Philadelphia experiment corrected and in working order... of course you need a woman to fix it :p

Now that Ophelia has been mentioned... when will the Blonde be back!?!?!?

Kurt: As a little Bookseller Lady, I naturally knew Phillip Kerr, but I am not familiar with his novels, so I am not influenced by him.
Regarding Ophelia, she is not planned in the near future, but considering you are my most faithful reader and, most of the time, the only commentator left, I have started on a little special interlude starring your favourite character.

Update to follow.

Gameplay information a

(NOTE: I thought it in order to post an update about the actual game situation, and yes, even after all these years the AAR is going, there is still a game behind it and I still have all saves.
Though an USA-AAR, I played as Germany from November 1939 up to now, June 27th, 1940. I will now switch to Japan, likewise for the sake of the story. )

Rotmahne North, June 27th, 1940

Rotmahne Center, June 27th, 1940

Rotmahne South, June 27th, 1940

(NOTE: The following two screenshots were taken while the game was loaded with USA)

Italian occupied Egypt.

Japanese occupied China.

And finally, just to keep my Kurt Steiner happy:

Our villainess once more.

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's a good story without a villainess like Ophy?

*running away just in case Ophelia hates the nick...

BTW... let's hope that the German IA doesn't f**** up thus (early) Barbarrossa.