• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
stnylan - England are 6/6, Spain are 11/6 and France are 11/4

Grundius - That certainly would be a nice featre to have in this game

GrimPagan - The neighbour bonus is pretty goos at the moment. OE start in Latin and through events move to orthodox, they're still in latin t the moment

Lurken - Oh no, I'll look forward to finding out how

coz1 - Thanks I think I will need it, for the coming war

Talkingdonkey - Thanks, I enjoy your AAR a lot too so its good to have you along

Duke of Wellington said:
England are 6/6, Spain are 11/6 and France are 11/4

I think it's rather impressive that the Ottoman Turks are at or tied for the tech lead. Can you refresh our memory on what year it is in your game?

Frankly your techs are reasonably competitive with anyone near you, EXCEPT the Turks. Of course, that is a big exception.

I have to admit that Mongols with guns just don't sound like true Mongols. :p Good luck!

2-header.jpg
Ulugh II's Reign : Part 6
So thanks to it's own greed the Golden Horde was alone in the world again. Ulugh still saw no nation of real interest as an alliance partner. A Christian nation was out of the question so the only option left were the few states on the Persian-Indian border that were free of existing alliances. But what did they have to offer the mighty Horde? Nothing.

Others apparently saw the Horde as a good catch though. In November the Sultan of Aden asked Ulugh to join him and Aden in an alliance. Ulugh managed to keep a straight face before the diplomat as he politely turned it down. Why on earth would the mighty Tatars join with two minor nations at the end of the remote Arabian peninsula?

A great festival was held in Astrakhan in 1539. People came from far and wide for the three day long celebration. All of it was put up at the personal expense of Ulugh
naadam.jpg
Parades of the Golden Hooves ceremonial guard are a big part of the event​
buzkashi.jpg
So too is a good ol tournament of Buzkashi, goats everywhere mourn​
t02hp36c.jpg
Everyone gets into the spirit of things, here is town elder Kantamarkorum shortly after finishing off a beer bong​
The reason for the festivities was two fold. First Kairwan was promoted to become full chief of the army.
216-kairwan.jpg
A welcome new leader​
But more importantly the date marked the ten year anniversary since Ulugh's triumphant rise to the throne. This made him one of the Horde's longer lived rulers. To mark the occasion a statue of him was unveiled.
9647-Statue-of-Sukbataar-in-Sukbata.jpg
The statue of Ulugh depicting him on his horse during the Crimean campaign, he is pointing at a cloud which he though looked liked a fluffy duck​

As the hangovers from the celebration continued Ulugh became taken suddenly with religious fervour. First he sent missionaries to convert the pagans of Sadrinsk for the favour of Allah.
217-conversioninthecold.jpg
Converting in the cold​
Seeking even more favour he then set his sights on removing the hated Shia's from the world. This would mean a campaign against the Safavid Empire.
219-safavids.jpg
The Safavid Empire (Blue) and their substantial army​

Preparations for the war began in 1540 as the army was enlarged. Something big would be needed to deal with an army of that size.

Ulugh was happy to learn that the Ottomans were having trouble keeping hold of their new lands as the Crimeans rose in revolt against their new owners.
220-crimearevolt.jpg

But perhaps the revolt put Suleyman in a bad mood. Certainly something did because he had to take his anger out on someone. That someone he chose was the Golden Horde. War was declared in March 1540. Ulugh would show them this time that the Horde were not to be messed with. This time the Ottomans would pay, they gotten away too cheaply last time.

Duke of Wellington said:
But more importantly the date marked the ten year anniversary since Ulugh's triumphant rise to the throne. This made him one of the Horde's longer lived rulers.

I hadn't realized your turnover rate was quite that bad! :eek: Ulugh may yet set a record. :p

At least you built up your army somewhat before the Turks hit you. Good luck this time. Is Shirvan still the enemy alliance leader? If so, you can probably get out of this cheaply. If not, it will be an ... interesting chapter in your AAR. :D

Time to restore Crimea to their rightful place - beneath the Horde's hooves.

You know, being partner with two minors might not be that bad, they could perhaps provide with a couple of wars without stab-hits or someone could declare war on them, giving you the possibility of claiming provinces without the high bb cost of attacking.

Nice writing. Great that you don't evade war with the OE. Makes this story more interesting than if you were just to crush western Europe, impressive an achievement though that might be, given the difficulty of the GH.

jwolf - Its been pretty quick usually, though some I would have happily got rid of earlier

GrimPagan - True but not being alliance leader I would find to be a pain.

stnylan - I agree with you on that and I'm sure Storey would agree enthusiastically too

FlorisDeVijfde - Thanks. I'm enjoying this game a lot too its different than the usual conquer everything kind of game, actually being afraid of an ai nation and the damage they can do to me.

Duke of Wellington said:
But taking Shirvan would remove them from being leader of the alliance. I think it would then pass to the OE making getting out of wars considerably harder. Somewhat gamey but ..... :confused: Any advice on the matter would be much appreciated.

How about force vassalizing Shirvan as enemy alliance leader, alliance wide peace? If there is another war, you would really have to face down the Turks, but at least for this one you could get out on pretty good terms and limit BB.

If that doesn't work, there's always the alliance with Aden to try. :rofl:

I would consider an alliance with the Mamelukes. Though not the greatest ally, it will trap the Ottomans between the two of you. And if the Ottomans would annex the Mamelukes with that event, well then you´re as good as dead!

vassalise the OE - you know you want to! More seriously, in a not dis-similar situation with a Russian game of mine I found the best answer was to flood the OE with units that raided everything in sight. Eventually the OE's economy collapses and the war becomes much easier from that point on.

jwolf - I think you're right I'm going to have to face them sometime, I'm just postponing the inevitable now. I would at least like to get to LT 5 though for the ability to assault, it would even things a little.

Saulta - If it works big payoff, if it fails big loss, is it worth the gamble?

stnylan - Oh how I'd like to do that :D

Your relations with the OE, are they still good? Because then you could annex Shirvan, grovel a little (if necessary) for the Ottomans and join their alliance again.