• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
They certainly seems to be suckers for punishment. How feared is the resurrected Horde in the civilized world? (In other words, how high are your BB?)

Seems a tad calm compared to other periods for the Horde. Why do I think this is something that will not last? The Uzbeks are but one who wish to die by the sword of the Horde.

How many times before the Uzbeks learn their lesson? Isn't this about war #10 with them? Well done so far, it looks like your alliance with the Turks is going very well. One thing I have noticed about an alliance with a major such as Austria or the OE is that with military access I can help them manage their revolts (you should be an expert at that :p ) and that gives my AI ally a lot more focus. Good luck.

Lurken - Well put

GrimPagan - It's around 19 now. I don't want it to go much higher due to the increased stab costs but it may have to happen.

coz1 - I hope it may last a little longer but well events always seem to conspire against the Horde

jwolf - I've lost count of the wars with them. In the early game I was hoping the OE would fail so I could keep the CoT in Kerch but now I'll do what I can to help them. My revolt experience should come in handy.

Nobegow - My plans are for both ;)

Nobegow said:
Wow! All right, you have like 300 years to do it :cool:

Good Luck, Can I expect update tomorrow? =[
I'll travel Thursday , but I want to read one more update hehe
I'm actually away from home at the moment so can't play until Friday but you can expect an update or two then, definitely.

2-header.jpg

I'll have two updates for you tonight. Expect some old enemies to be back for more, plenty of new enemies, a new king and you guessed it rebels. I think rebels are to the Horde what spam is to Monty Python.

More rebels? This is something I like. Multiple "Unhappiness amongst the peasentry"?

Hmm....what are your RRs in the different provinces about now? Actually :eek: I just realized! Didn't some of those scripted events back there raise RR in different provinces? If so....there are no scripted events to bring it back down! It won't go away!

Rebels for everybody! :rofl:

2-header.jpg
Murtada's Reign : Part 5
The Uzbeks were foolish but not entirely stupid. They knew that breaking the vassalage with the Golden Horde would attract unwanted attention. They therefore quickly set about joining an alliance of Kabul and Khorasan. In a stroke of good luck for the Uzbeks the rebels in Khiva decided their loyalties lay closer to the Uzbeks than Ak Koyunlu thus greatly strengthening their position.
132-uzbek.jpg

The Uzbeks shortly after breaking vassalage
Murtada wanted to teach the Uzbeks (and any other potential enemies) a lesson. He wanted a war to crush them and he wanted it now. His generals though were more cautious. A forced vassalisation when broken was no just cause for a war against Muslim brothers in the eyes of the international community. Murtada was angered but knew the fate of Khans that did not respect the army so decided to hold back for now.

Managing the army had always been a problem for the Khan of the Golden Horde. Murtada faced an added problem that made him more cautious with it than many. The empire was now so large that he had to spread his army out across it rather than keep it under his direct control. This made the possibility of a coup a lot more likely so he was forced to treat the army much more respectfully than he wished.

Since the Horde had taken Russian territory nationalist sentiments had run high. Nizhgorod was no exception and many of the local population rose against their rulers in an attempt to return to Russian rule.
133-justtheusual.jpg

Another day, another revolt

1498 rolled around with nothing out of the ordinary except that for once Murtada did not have to spend all his money on replenishing the army. Instead he was able to recruit a new tax collector and expand the town in Karelia. Murtada kept a wary eye on the attempted conversion of Tambow. It had failed many times before and he really hoped this would be the final attempt.
134-conv.jpg

April brought big news. A letter arrived from Istanbul. It seemed Hungary fancied its own strength and in blatant disregard of the Ottoman Empire had claimed a fertile district of Serbia as it own. Murtada needed no time to decide. He joined with the Ottomans in war against the vile Hungarians.
135-hungary.jpg

The formalities of Horde diplomacy
136-theenemy.jpg

The enemy

This war was the Ottomans war. Murtada would back them how best he could but land was not an aim. Money he would take though. Be it through raiding or peace deals.

Murtada was still angry over having given into the army on the Uzbek issue. But it was to be finally settled in May 1498 not by Murtada or the army but by the Uzbeks themselves. Obviously still burning to get their lands back they thought the Holy Golden Alliance to be occupied with Hungary and declared war upon Shirvan.
137-uzbekwar.jpg
Need less to say Shirvan was backed by all in her alliance. Uzbek would pay for such a foolish move.

The conversion of Tambow failed. Angered at the attack on their personal religion the population rebelled. While not a large rebellion it had to be put down and took up men valuable to the war effort.

In the west an army was dispatched to raid Hungarian lands. It succeeded in doing so for some months before being caught in several battles where they were vastly outnumbered. The losses were severe and many blamed the defeats persoanlly on Murtada. In a double blow to Murtada's leadership Hungarians invaded the Horde's land through Jedisan.
140-hunsinvades.jpg

Jedisan fell quickly and Krementjug too was in Hungarian control within a month.

The army was hard pushed to keep control of so many threats. Discontent and rebellion was growing in the ranks. It was a dangerous situation for any ruler especially when someone is waiting just for such a situation. Sayyid Ahmad II had bided his time and it was now that he chose to return. While the military was divided into three he seized control of the army closest to Volgograd with little opposition. Using it he captured the capital easily. Murtada was found cowering in a dark corner of the palace like a rat. Had he been a rat he might have been spared some of the painful revenge Sayyid carried out upon him but he was not.

Sayyid Ahmad II returned to the throne after several years in exile. He was happy to be back in control. The army was happy they had ridded themselves of a ruler they found to be increasingly a thorn in their side but would the returned Khan be an improvement or a detriment? The population continued its life as always. Since the reign of Ulugh the Great the Khans had become steadily worse. As far as they were concerned only the name changed now.

Sayyid inherited two wars already in progress.
138-thewarintheeast.jpg

The Uzbek war

139-thewarintheeast.jpg

The Hungarian war

So ends Murtada and his reign. No great loss. That AI Hungary looks pretty tough! I hope the Turks can hold their own against them. If you can commit your army to the Uzbeks I presume you can beat them easily. Here's to hoping you can get out of the Hungarian war on reasonable terms. Good luck.

Another day, another revolt -- you should add, another year, another war. :p

I say let them take Jedisan. Let them die in the winter like all before them, then crush them while they try to storm the fortress. Even if you let them run rampant, the Ottomans will probably kick their butts, making a favourable peace likely. Meanwhile, you can focus on Uzbek and their compatriots. Remember that once the Mongol Hordes ruled all the way to the Persian Gulf. So conquering anything south of Uzbek must surely be justified :D.

jwolf said:
The problem is that Jedisan doesn't get snow. I don't think Krementjug does, either. Depending on where the Hungarians go, we might not be able to count on winter attrition to take effect.

True. Yet even without winter, letting the Hungarians advance somewhat cannot be too detrimental to the war effort. As long as the OE does their part, there is no problem imho.