• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A small step for a man, a huge leap for Duke's readers.

Link to new AAR! :)

And with that I've de-lurked. Probably right in time for this to end though

OK, I was expecting a new AAR from you soon, you'd said as much a while back but EU1 - too cool :cool:

top.jpg
Tokhtamysh II : Part 5
As the capital of the Golden Horde the city of Astrakhan had understandably expanded with the success of the Horde over the years. People from all over the empire and abroad could be found there. Catholics from Spain looking to take back fine steel, for which the Horde was famous, to supplement their inferior products from Toledo. Arabs from the southernmost parts of the empire buying up bulk wool with which to make their desert tents from. Even pagans from Siberia trading their furs for salt. All these products had long been staples of the markets and fairs as the Golden Horde had been the chief supplier for a long time. However in recent years other goods too were becoming increasingly common, such as Italian wines, to which a blind eye was turned by religious authorities and somewhat ironically for the land based Horde naval supplies were, for some unknown reason, remained popular with other countries.
815-goods.png

The Horde adds several other goods to the list it dominates already on the world scene

The expanding Horde now contained a great number of non-Muslims. This worried Tokhtamysh who was keen for an orderly empire. To achieve this he had begun efforts several years earlier to convert the heathens. It was an effort met with mixed success.
816-converts.png

And of course the usual rebels obliged when failure resulted.
817-rebels.png

818-more.png
Despite tough crackdowns the Shi'ites of Basrah remain an ugly thorn in the side of the Horde​

Tokhtamysh began to wonder if Allah might be looking unfavourably upon the Horde due to the high number of heathens in the lands. Surely there was something he could do to gain favour? A brief look at the international relations of the Horde provided just the excuse and possibilty. Aden, the owner of Mekkah was still refusing the Horde merchants access to her markets. It certainly was something that could not be tolerated.

The Horde armies began to march south in the Arabian peninsula once again. Once over the border the war was a short one as city after city fell to assault by the Horde troops.
819-war.png

First the holy city of Mekkah
820-mine.png

Then Yemen and Aden​

The Sultan of Aden seeing that the situation was quite hopeless gave up his lands as soon as they were asked for.
821-holylands.png

Allah must smile upon the Horde now

Ah yes, nothing shows piety like plundering holy places, just ask the crusaders. And if burning Mecca doesn't give you some good will, nothing will.

Excellencio! Or how to spell It! :D

Your a True EUII Warlord!

You should have that as a customized forum title :D

EDIT: ANd see! Khan! You have It! :rofl:

That screenshot of you're naval supplies dominance should go in the "Strange Screenshots" thread. :rolleyes: Can't imagine billybob's too happy with you for that. ;)

If you want a REAL challenge, try GH in EU3. Sure, it's boring, as they have no flavor and usually field infantry armies from the get-go, but challenging it is. :)

Great update. How many years do you have left? if there's enough, perhaps you should try to get a port on the Pacific- just symbolic, of course; the Horde has no PRACTICAL use for ports. :D

Mwhahahahahaha. They all fall under your rule!

Oh and a suggestion OOC. Have a massive revolt happen at the end then ship it to Vicky!

Duke of Wellington said:
Certainly its a tried a true method. If you can't get piety by faith, get it by force.
Or march next door and take that CoT sitting there. :D

demokratickid said:
Whatever happened to the annexing of the mongol homeland?
If I recall correctly they were either conquered, or considered weak and not worth the effort. I forgets. :eek:o

Dont make me come over there and make you update!

Lord Skane - Thanks heaps :)

Amob_m_s - Ha, thats a good call on the strange screenshots I think.

billy bob - As they ought to.

coz1 - Unfortunately it's their capital and to annex them I'd have to take the island of Socotra which is too much effort to be worth it I think.

Chief Ragusa - Wise words I think.

demokratickid - Probably not worth the effort, but it may happen at some point.

germanpeon - Conquered later, maybe.

top.jpg
Tokhtamysh II : Part 6
For most Khan's taking the holy city of Mecca and being able to pour funds into it for the glory of Allah would have been enough to buy a strong peace of mind as far as religious matters were concerned. But not for Tokhtamysh. After the death of his eldest son he became convinced it was an omen that he was not in divine favour. He turned to his Imam's for advice. It was something they gave him gladly. The reason they gave was that the Horde had not once, in hundreds of years declared war upon the heathens of the Safavid Empire. Still the Shi'ites, through their very existence, mocked the entire Sunni world.

It was advice that appealed strongly to Tokhtamysh's destructive side (a trait present in all good Khans). Preparations for the war began with a customary destruction of a Shia shrine in Elbruz. Followed up with the recruiting of several brand new armies to match the Safavids sizable, if outdated, armies.
823-eyeingup.png

Horde soldiers eye up their heathen enemies

822-persia.png

Safavids have extensive possession in Persia

824-colonies.png

In more peaceful news the expansion of the Horde into the far east was renewed with many settlers dispatched both willingly and forcefully.

Those Siberian colonies would make a staging point for an assault on China - and what sort of an heir of Genghis wouldn't want to finish off with that!

Are those diminuitive natives the descendants of escaped Uzbeks? Is this the reason for the Khan's greater tolerance? The Siberians will be a tough people who will enable the assault on the legendary homeland and the vast riches of China that lie just beyond.

Never warred with the Safavids. I am pleased to see that particular omission corrected. Greatness beckons for this khan.

Last edited:
Duke of Wellington said:
Maybe they are escaped Uzbeks. But the Horde will assimilate them in the end. I didn't really realise how I'd gone so far without going to war with the Safavids, just never got round to it I guess.

A true ruler of the Horde will set priorities. Since there is little similarity between the terms Safavid and significant, the Safavids were lucky to have escaped the attention of the Horde for so long.