• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
coz1 said:
Just what you need - succession problems while at war. Handy, however, that you have that access when the DoW. Not a bad deal. I didn't even realize that worked that way.

One thing though (a personal pet peeve of mine) - the most misused word in the English language is "decimate." You wrote the following: "Both armies besieging Horde land were decimated..."

Over time, the idea that decimate means to destroy all has taken root, but in truth, decimate means to destroy/kill one in every ten. Probably not what you meant to say. It's just a little crusade I have going that makes me correct people on it. You may now smack me over the head for pointing it out. ;)

Coz, I would like to join your crusade. As a Muslim, I have experience in holy war. :D

Duke, good luck with the war against the Muscovites. In the name of merciful Allah, slaughter all the infidels! :p

GrimPagan - We'll have to wait and see ;)

The Suebian - They would have done better had they not been so distracted by a multi front war.

jwolf - Sorry for the the confusion, Sweden declared war on Muscowy.

coz1 - Hmm, didn't actually realise that though when one looks at it its quite obvious. Do you know if it originated as a term for the punishment for a legion that lost its standard? In defence thoguh I would say that the word is no longer misused since it has come to mean destroyed.

Jordal - Will do ;)

2-header.jpg
Murtada's Reign : Part 1
The Horde were pleased to see the back of Sayyid Ahmad II. He had shown all the signs of being a weak and cowardly ruler. Had he not fled for his life it would have been unlikely the army would have spared him.

Murtada was a much more suitable candidate to lead. He was strong and ruthless, just what the Horde needed to show the Muscovites their place.

He renewed the attack on Muscowy sending three armies in an attempt to overrun the whole country.
115-winteroffensiveof81.jpg
The offensive was successful by May Vorones had fallen and been sacked.

As winter arrived in November the war quietened down. Murtada finally had time to step back and look at the war. He was an ambitious ruler but not a stupid one. He wanted to see Muscowy join Sibir and Uzbek as a broken vassal no longer a challenge to the Horde. However he appreciated that Muscowy was strong and would probably take more than this war to bring down. What then offered the best return now? He decided to aim for Nizhgorod with it's factories and some of the northern provinces in a continuation of the expansion already having occured in Arkhangelsk and Vladimir. Novgorod too was to be a target, it was a centre of trade and as such offered large wealth in taxes on merchants.

Until 100 years ago the people of the Horde had not followed the true faith but their own pagan one. The religion was still strong in the east and every so often there would be a resurgence in it. Early 1483 was one such year and Murtada crushed the heretics mercilessly. But since the reprisals were carried out on Tatar bretheren many across the country were angered and the nation became less stable.

The rest of 1483 progressed routinely as Ryazan, Nizhgorod and Olonets were besieged, Ryazan falling in August. Then in October Muscowy was dealt a further blow. Lithuania and Poland declared war and invaded with their massive armies. Muscowy now stood alone against an overwhelming tide of enemies on all sides.

117-siegesallround.jpg
In 1484 merchants fearful of the approaching Horde troops fled Novgorod in favour of what they saw as a safer place to trade in Moscow. Nonetheless Murtada ordered Novgorod to be taken and it was besieged shortly after Olonets defences collapsed.

By mid 1485 Muscowy was doomed before the Polish, Tatar and Scandinavian attack. Nizhgorod and Novgorod were Horde controlled and Moscow was completely surrounded by a Horde force. Even Crimea had declared war on them thoguh how they hoped to get their troops there was entirely beyond Murtada, they certainly weren't going to go through Horde land.

Murtada had decided he would take Nizhgorod, Olonets, Karelia and Kexholm. The far north of Muscowy, the Kola peninsula was unfortunately in Norwegian hands so would have to join the Horde some other time.

Over the next two years sieges progressed well until all but Muscowy's Baltic provinces were in enemy hands. In November 1488 Murtada made peace for the four provinces he wanted.
120-newlands.jpg
Plenty more room for northern expansion, the new provinces are highlighted in blue

Muscowy would probably rise again, Murtada knew this, but he doubted they would ever be a real threat again. It was time to look for bigger targets.

He sent an ambassador to the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire, Bayezid II with a proposal. Bayezid gladly accepted. The Golden Horde and the Ottoman Empire were now allies. The storm was about to begin for Christendom.
3-Armyicon.jpg
turkish.jpg

Last edited:
So you have a border with Sweden now? Be careful of them, especially if they are in a strong alliance. Great you allied with the Ottomans! :cool: That will make things interesting.

Joe

Nice Post... Hmm...Muscowy Crushed O.O .. 4 provinces took Very Nice...
But As I said I knew about your next governor, he has poorr skills doesn't he?

Now you bord with sweden?! Be Carefull Than, x]~

And The Horde-Ottoman Alliance sounds powerfull...Mayb The Alliance That will crush the balcans and east europe?

Storey - That was my biggest concern with the peace deal I made. But I figured it had to be done, would the Khan of the Golden Horde be afriad of a backwater infidel nation (especially when he had no prior knowledge of whats to come ;) )

Nobegow - Maybe the Balkans and East Europe, maybe more :D

I don't know, Iceland seems to be a favorite for those who wants to flee the horde.

If the Ottomans are doing well you can have a real powerhouse Sunni bloc. Conversely, though, if the Turks are struggling they may just drag you down with them. Still, that's a nice diplomatic victory. I, too, am a bit nervous about your Swedish border but they won't be really dangerous until another 100 years or so.

Let's see -- that war went well, things are nice internally -- must be time for another big revolt, right? :p

jwolf said:
Let's see -- that war went well, things are nice internally -- must be time for another big revolt, right? :p

Think that last major revolt was the last major scripted one, or?

GrimPagan - I may have to take it

Lord Skane - Yes

Grundius - I hope so too

jwolf - They've not been doing too badly recently, should they go down though it will be alone.

The Suebian - I think I'll be able to handle them too

Lurken - The comp will probably balance out though by creating a new random one just for this occasion ;)

Duke of Wellington said:
Lurken - The comp will probably balance out though by creating a new random one just for this occasion ;)

Only if we are lucky :p

jwolf said:
Unlucky for you, lucky for us readers. :p
Exactomundo my dear jwolf!