• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What a mean event! Yeah, rebuild some strength then go "CHAT" with the Uzbeks.

I believe there is something in the event file along the likes of independence declared by Crimea, Kazan and Astrahkan under certain conditions. Although, these might not be forced and/or require action from Muscovy.

Grundius said:
I believe there is something in the event file along the likes of independence declared by Crimea, Kazan and Astrahkan under certain conditions. Although, these might not be forced and/or require action from Muscovy.

Thats what seems to happen in most of my games. Hopefully they are A choices and theres a B choice I can take though I doubt it will be much, if any more attractive.

Nice work DoW! I wonder how long you are playing before updating?

I dont think I could play a difficult nation, though I would love to give GH a try, if for the fact they have such a cool name! My main problem is that I havent really played more than a handful of games and none of those are GC. I think they are AoE (vanilla).

Infact, I dont even really know the benefit of using missionary's. I tend to play as an agressor or explorer in my games, and dont have a balanced game. This means I usually run foul and end up quitting a decade into my games! :(

Hopefully this one will be different!

Good luck with this one. *subscribed*

I agree as long as Muscovy pays you tribute leave them alone. Of course if they wait a long time before declaring independnece from the horde you might find yourself behind in tech levels, which could cause a problem. But what the hell it makes the game more interesting. ;)

Joe

2Coats - Thanks. I've been playing then as I play taking notes, I then update as soon as possible which has been been in all but one case straight away. I love the name too way back in EU1 when I first saw it I wanted to play, of course then I didn't know it was possible to play them since they weren't a major in any scenario. Incidentally the name apparently comes from a Mongolian system where the four compass points are referred to as colours and Western is Golden.

Storey - It certainly is quite helpful to receive that much money at different times, its a big portion of the Horde's income. I hope they choose to break the tribute off during the mid 15th century otherwise they will get too far ahead.

Well you seem to be surviving nicely so far - good work! Also, I just learned something new:
the name apparently comes from a Mongolian system where the four compass points are referred to as colours and Western is Golden.
But what terms did they use for North, South and East?

Just double checked the system and got it a bit wrong.

The name Golden is believed to have come from the steppe color-direction system: black — north, blue — east, red — south, white — west, and yellow (or gold) — center.

Does that mean that south west was pink? ;)

Im really enjoying this AAR DoW! Please, do continue! :)

Oui oui, please continue!

2-header.jpg

Just got the time to play through and the update will definitely be along in a few hours :)
a-preview.jpg

2-header.jpg
Ulugh's Rule:part 2

A new decade dawned over the steppes. It was clear and crisp, one of those mornings when everything seems to shine a little more and be a little more defined. Ulugh Stretched and spurred his horse on. The ride had done wonders for him. The problem of Theodoros was now rectified. When it fell they would be able to retain all that they had before except their money. All of this would be needed. Particularly thanks to the final legacy left to him by Baraq, a 200 ducat loan due in little over a year.
With reluctance Ulugh decided that the Uzbeks, once friends, would feel the steel of the Horde. Their turn would come but it could wait a little longer.
36-overview.jpg

Europe in 1430

Only a short time into the new decade Georgia decided to end the war with Shirvan and the Horde. A wise move since half of Georgia and the whole of Trebizond rested in Shirvanese hands.
37-peacenoannex.jpg

No annexation of Trebizond!

Combining the reparations from Georgia with the new years taxes, Ulugh was happy to see 163 ducats in the royal treasury. But it would not be enough to keep the lenders happy, a signifcant amount would have to be taken from Theodoros.

In May the final defences of Theodoros fell. Diplomats were quick to offer Ulugh 120 ducats for peace. Ulugh was quick to answer by means of beheading. Ulugh made a note to hire a full time cranium removal technician it would save a lot of his valuable time when responding to other nations. Ulugh had decided to hold out on peace with Theordoros until closer to the due date of the loan in order to take as much as possible.

38-ryazan.jpg
In November a messenger arrived from Ryazan, inexplicably they had decided to deny the Horde's troops access to their lands. Ulugh comtemplated forcing it upon them but since they were loyal and even friendly it seemed a drastic action. Besides Ulugh did not wish to offend Vasily of Muscowy a member of Ryazan's alliance. Not just yet anyway at least....

In January rumours were spread about soldiers being struck down by mysterious afflictions whilst in Theodoros. The rumours cited a curse by a dying Theodoran priest as the cause. Despite Ulugh's best efforts to quell the rumours (the cranium removal technician, Bulak Heddan, was kept busy) it was to no avail revolt risk rose in all the Hordes territory rose.

An offer for 125 ducats for peace with the Horde was sent to Theodoros who gratefully accepted. Using this money the loan was paid off. It even left money in the coffers which was put to use building cavalry for the war with Uzbek which must come soon.

February saw stabilty rise to +3 for the first time :) However Ulugh was not so pleased to see the conversion of Donetsk fail and sent a large portion of his army to deal with the inhabitants.

November saw the arrival of a well known foreign diplomat at Ulugh's court. He offered his services to Ulugh who was ready to accept when it was uncovered that the diplomat was already in the pay of the Uzbeks and was charged with finding out military secrets about the Horde. The diplomat was sent away. Some of him was sent back to the Uzbeks while the other parts were sent to the steppes to feed the vultures.

1432 started with the vile Uzbeks increasing their holdings at the expense of their brothers the Timurids.
39-uzbeks.jpg
Unable to stand their treachery and warmongering any longer Ulugh vowed this would be the year they would pay. He even personally oversaw the recruitment and training of new riders for the Horde.

40thetarget.jpg
The provinces bordered in red are the goal for the war​

In June Ulugh and the Horde felt ready. War was declared. The Uzbeks who had not expected war quickly began building troops. These would be Ulugh's first goal. He would destroy their new recruits before retreating back the the Hordes lands and waiting.
41a-troopdestruction.jpg
By waiting in home territory for the Uzbeks his troops could rest while his adversaries would already be tired even before battle joined.

The green Uzbek recruits were no match at all for the cavalry of the Horde. After returning home the Horde only had to wait two months before the Uzbeks arrived at the border.
42-raidingparty.jpg
The small scout force was slaughtered down to the last man not allowing even a single word to be conveyed back to Uzbek generals.

After Genoa and Shirvan signed a peace deal for 140 ducats to Shirvan, peace reigned over the Black Sea. But it would be only for a few short months as it was shattered again in May when Genoa declared war upon Theodoros.

May too would see the first full scale invasion of the Hordes territory. 7000 Uzbeks besieged both Kurgan and Orsk. Ulugh decided to try a radical approach to the situation. instead of fighting the Uzbeks right away he would lead a raid on Uzbek territory with the aim to draw away the attackers. The advantages of this were less chance of losing valuable soldiers and loot. Ulugh led the army down through Uzbek lands even capturing one unfortified province. In September he marched right to the walls of the Uzbek capital but a larger force was bearing down upon him forcing a quick withdrawal. By fighting in this somewhat cowardly fashion Ulugh hoped to lull the Uzbeks into a false sense of security that would cause them to attack deep into Horde territory. There they would face a twin assault from the hooves and steel of the Horde and the fearsome ravaging steppe winter. No Uzbek would return to his homeland.

In the final days of 1433 the Horde was to gain a new neighbour and enemy. The Genoese - Theodoros conflict was resolved by annexation of Theodoros, by Milan
43-takeover.jpg
A New Enemy, also the retreating troops are from Shirvan

Ulugh reclined on his couch. The wind outside his tent blew cold and fierce from the far north of the steppes. His son, Mamai ran into the tent engaged in a game of Khan's and Pretenders with another young boy. Mamai was playing as Ulugh and was about to 'slay' the other boy playing Baraq. Now three years old he had grown well and was strong not just for his age, some day he would make a fine Khan. Returning to matters at hand Ulugh concluded the war was going well with Uzbek. Though seemingly indecisive so far that would change in time. Some of his more agressive generals wanted an invasion of Uzbek now. But Ulugh trusted his judgement. During his years in exile he had seen their land it would not be well suited to the Hordes tactics. It was best to wait for the large Uzbek army to crumble before invading.

The presence of a new enemy on the Black Sea meant little to Ulugh. As far as he was concerned an Milanese blood was the same as Theodoran blood when on the blade of a scimitar. Milanese gold too would be just as valuable as Theodoran.

Excellent strategy against Uzbek. I just hope you don't get some nasty revolt event while fighting them.