• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh, very nice, very nice indeed. I'm liking Maurice quite a bit. Can't wait to see what he does next to crush his enemies!

King of Men: Heh, glad you like him. Hard to believe he's the son of Maurice the Modest! :eek:

J. Passepartout: Oh I'm sure they're planning a few manuvers of their own... :)

Draco Rexus: Well I think he'll let them be for the moment. Unless of course they somehow get in his way... ;)

Part 10: Hatching Plans

nicholas7ei.jpg

Above: Nicholas FitzGerald

Maurice's first son Nicholas was born on the 12th of December 1356 in Dublin. Time would tell whether he would inherit his mother's good looks or if the third FitzGerald male in a row would frighten children merely by walking down the street...

The name Nicholas had been a carefully chosen: it was sufficently international to raise few eyebrows in the English world, while being itself of non-English origin (to reassure his Irish subjects). Besides the meaning 'Victorious People' was marvouslly ambigous. Let others decide exactly what, if anything it was a hint towards. Maurice saw little need to enlighten them

Early 1357 was a pleasant period for the Duke, who took time to tour his demenses with his wife and son to present the heir to the common people. Though not a warm man Maurice discovered a suprising fondness for his family during this trip. Possibly, just possibly there was something more to the business of marriage than political alliances and producing an heir.

Well that or he really needed to throw himself back into his work.

*​

Back in Dublin others were having a less pleasant time. If the guilds and landholders could at least reassure themselves that the popularity of Maurice had declined, their own power had not increased in tandem. In fact they were weaker than ever.

"Something must be done," said William de Bray, a major figure in the Merchants' Guild of Dublin to his friend Sir Guy as the two were talking after mass one morning. As always there was but one topic: the problem of Maurice.

"But what?" questioned the knight gloomily. "He is slipperier than a jellied eel and the people working for him are too good at what they do..."

De Bray stopped stunned by a sudden thought, then heartily clapped his gloomy friend on the back. "Brilliant Guy!"

"Pardon?"

The guild master patiently explained: "After Maurice took over Meath he inherited a new staff and he's been replacing most of his old Desmond lackeys: I think only Eleanor still has a position and she's been moved back to Chancellor. The rest are out cold and I'd be shocked if none are harbouring a grudge. They might be open to a little, ahem, reasonble conversation on the future of our great city and goverment."

Sir Guy stroked his mustache thoughtfully. "Anyone in mind?"

"Yes actually. I think we could take advantage of Paul O'hEachthighearna. He's pretty mired in drink these days but he still has a voice in the court."

The knight looked at de Bray in disbelief. "That buffon? Is Maurice's horse unavailable? I'm sure they are both equally qualified candidates."

De Bray winced in sympathy. "I agree our friend is no intellectual titan, but he's been around for a long time and if he began to get vocal it would cause a lot of division in the court. Besides I believe he needs money - he got to living beyond his means as Marshal, and after his replacement his funds have dried up."

"Hmm, well yes I think he might be able to do it. At least he doesn't have the imagination to come up with any dangerous ideas. He'll do as he's told. Yes I think it might just work..."

Do I sense an 'I exile people who make such pronouncements'? I love that option, I always roar it out at the top of my voice when 'I could be a better X' comes up. But then again, you are usually more subtle. I look forward to finding out what happens.

Look out Maurice.. Rebellion coming up. Show no mercy My Lord. :p

The plot thickens.... and me thinks that our friends in Dublin are cruisin' for a bruisin' if they keep it up!

Oh, and nice martial states for the newborn heir. Guess he was born ready to jump in the saddle? ;)

By the way, do you edit the names of your sons, or do you make up an explanation on the fly for whatever the game gives you?

King of Men: I wish! :D I'm afraid it's been a slightly dull period recently - were are those crisis when you need them? :)

As for the names I simply use what comes up, though I try to do some work to make it at least plausible. Of course some are worse than others.

prussiablue: Heh. Well that would be uncharacteristic...

Draco Rexus: Guess so! As a rule I always give my heirs a Court Education, so a naturally good Martial score is worth it's weight in gold. :)

Part 11: Punishment and Crime

Thief.jpg
Above: An all too common figure in 1350's Ireland: the petty thief

Things were relatively quiet throughout 1357. The endless fighting continued in France with neither side showing much advance. To his great irritation Maurice found himself largely preoccupied by vassalage duties to King Edward which though not personally dangerous - he was mostly away from the actual fighting - were time consuming and wearying. He thus found himself unable to participate much in his ducal duties and so little court business happened.

His enemies recruited some very minor courtiers dissapointed over their lack of advancement but mostly they lay low and bided their time, waiting for court business to resume proper before making their presence felt.

*​

Crime had been a problem of increasing severity ever since the Bruce Invasion but it was threating to reach epidemic proportions by the middle of the century. When a major thieves guild formed in Thomond in early 1358 they were merely following a precedent occuring across the country. The goverment, eternally distracted by it's own internal feuds and the war in France and lacking ready money - Edward was a greedy liege when it came to duty in wartime - had been quite unable and unwilling to try and solve matters. Indeed many were convinced it was an inheritly unsolvable problem as if banditry and smuggling were as intrinsic to Ireland as the weather - and about as controlable.

Maurice of course thought differently. The second half of that year saw the war grind down to sufficent inactivity that he could afford to spend more time at home. He returned determined to sort out this seemingly intractable problem - for he was more than intelligent enough to realise what the long term consequences were if crime was allowed to continue unchecked.

Sadly it was a bittersweet experience coming home. Mary had been pregnant with their second child and she had been carrying the child as easily as the first so it was a deep shock when this second child - a girl was born premature in August. No daughter for Maurice and Mary and no sister for Nicholas. But he would not have been the man he was if the stillbirth had caused him to wail from the rooftops and beat his breast in a tatoo of grief. Being Maurice FitzGerald he through himself into his work and found solace there.

He decided that it was primarily a lack of administration that was helping the lawlessness of the demenses. Build a layer of castles and law courts, the machinery of goverment and it would be much easier to stamp out banditry. Not unexpectadly he decided to build the first of his new castles in Desmond - near Cork. That it would also serve as an excellent home for some future Earl of Desmond (who almost by default would fall heir to Meath and the Lord Deputyship) was neither here nor there.

As the long process of castlebuilding got under way certain people took fright. Local petty nobles began to sweat at the increased threat of Ducal presence in their backyard, which would greatly reduce their independent authority. In Dublin the Treasury squealed at the cost - building castles and law courts across the Duchy would be ruinously expensive, upsetting decades of low spending.

Once again nervous parties began looking to their spokesmen to try and scale back the Duke - or better yet stop him all together...

Are you surethe thieves guild was not involved in that scheme to manipulate your courtiers? I also worry that they might attempt to get rid of your children; that daughter died of her own accord, but Nicholas might need protection.

I just got around to catching up on your work here, RossN. Living up to your previous efforts already. I like Maurice. He knows hwo to get things done and stops at nothing to accomplish his goals. Too bad about the stillbirth, but there are other chances. And there is the son.

J. Passepartout: Good idea... I'll have to look into that.

coz1: Good to see you! And thanks - I think I'm finding my footing in this AAR.

Part 12: The Wreck of the Christopher

misc003.jpg

Above: The Christopher at sea.

Originally merely a side trade by handful of coastal families the smuggling ring in Kerry (in Thomond) had become very wealthy of over the years and rathewr influential. Unfortunatly the newfound zeal Maurice was showing for dampening crime was beginning to unerve them - how long before he decided to build a castle in Thomond? Well they were not about to take any chances. So liquidating their profits into gold and other moveable goods they decided to scatter in foreign investments, banks in London and Calais, far from the prying eyes of Dublin Castle.

The ship that they chose was a stout cog out of Bristol, the Christopher. Alas though the ship was a fine one it foundered in a storm off Hook Head, drowning the crew and scattering a select haul of ill gotten gains across the beaches of Laigin. Maurice upon hearing of it generously awarded the spoils to the finder - much to the dissapointment of the local monastery who had been hoping for a donation.

But Maurice was aware that he needed more to improve his reputation with the peasantry than with the Church - for he already controled the Archbishop of Dublin and so could more or less take ecclesiastical support for granted.

With the man in the field on the other hand - to whom he was still tarnished (albeit to a decreasing extent) it was important to establish a good reputation.

*​

Satirists were a class of bard in Ireland and as such were much more than simple entertainers. They were rumoured to have awful and terrible powers and were figures of considerable dread to native Irish kings of an older sort. Though the days had passed when a satirist could more less bully a king into giving him anything he or she wished for fear of the consequences they had as a class maintained their arrogance and sense of invunerability.

But Maurice was not an Irish king of old and the superstisions of that class where alien to him. So when he heard that a famous satirists was publicly and caustically attacking him over his war in Laigin and the extremely murky circumstances that had led to his becoming Lord Deputy Maurice simply had the man hauled before a court, tried for treason and executed.

To Maurice a legal (albeit harsh) judgement; to the native Irish an awful and wanton act of cruelty that lost most of the good impression gained from the Christopher charity.

Though he certainly had a cruel streak it was the first time it had been nakedly on display and realising his political error he vowed to be more careful in future. The people were like a dog: strike it too little and it would grow wild and uncontrollable, too much and it it would grow resentful and whipped. He'd have to find a balance.

Ah, the age old and sometimes brutal course of learing how to rule. Hopefully Maurice will survive and prosper through his learning and not end up causing a revolt, eh?

Good show, by the by!

Yes, it takes a ruler some time to learn that the strong hand is not always the best hand. By the way, how far are you now from the King title since the replay?

What your reputation? Look out if you want to be crowned King Of Ireland but I think the safer bet would be with Nicky.

Draco Rexus: Hopefully indeed. Dang cruelty events... :)

coz1: I need to take another 2 provinces to have the minimum, but I want to try for at least all the Duchies (Ulster and Connacht are currently occupied by squatters).

J. Passepartout: Well I guess I was just lucky there! :eek:o

prussiablue: 'Slightly Tarnished' at the moment. Though Maurice was only born in 1336, so I guess he'll be around for a bit yet...

Part 13: Duty

siege-of-brest.jpg

Above: The War in France continued...

Another year, another campaign.

It was the September of 1360 and Maurice found himself in the town of Arreau, besigeing a castle full of French soldiers. Given the strength of the fortifications and the abilities of the defenders he was beginning to fear he'd still be here next Spring - unless of course the French succesfully counterattacked, as they had done in Bergerac the previous month.

The war had been going on for 23 years now and natural pessimists like Maurice suspected it might last another 23. It had reached a stage of agressive stalemate: every year the French would take some cities and castles and the English would take them back, and vice versa.

Today however offered something that offered a chance for some interest: King Edward was visiting Arreau to oversee the siege. Of course Maurice had met Edward countless times - the two men were hardly friends but the King was a young man himself, only five years Maurice's senior and it was always advantagous to have the Kings ear, so he looked forward to discussing matters with him.

"You're Majesty," he tiptoed around the issue, "I was wondering if I might not perhaps spend the Winter in Ireland. I feel I could be more use to you..."

But Edward just frowned and shook his head. "I'm sorry but I need you here. I'm sure your burghers can take care of matters quite adequetely in your absence."

And that was another thing. Edward was tactically brilliant on the battlefield Maurice was all to ready to concede, but he was a hopless judge of character and utterly uninterested in politics. The elder Edward who had died so young - he would have understood Maurice's struggles with his subjects instantly and been sympathetic (albeit out of self interest rather than than personal warmth). But his son was useless.

"Now," said the King rolling out the map on the table, "I was thinking about sending William, Earl of Sussex to relieve Libourne. What do you think?"

Maurice, a far better and more cynical judge of character than his liege was tempted to say 'William, Earl of Sussex is a weak, greedy man and I'm certain he'll never reach Libourne - though wether out of stopping to loot a monastery of merely being bribed by the French I shan't guess.'

But he knew there was no point. Edward was friends with the good Earl who was therefore a wonderfully noble and dashing paladin. So instead he said: "Yes my Lord."

On his way back to his quarters he was hailed by one of his officers as to how the meeting had gone.

"Ask me in Spring," replied the Duke.

Ross N, as per usual great work! It is much harder to unite Ireland with the English pig dog there. Any chance of revoking vassalage to him? Surely he would have no armies to throw at you now?

I'm impressed by how you pack so much character into such short posts. Succinct, yet informative! I tend to the long-winded myself; I believe I shall try starting to emulate you.

I must really echo King of Men.

Brilliant work thus far, truly excellent!

I fear that Maurice is going to be having problems for quite awhile. I wonder if the crown of Erie is destined not for his noble brow, but that of his son? :(

Ahh, the problem with being a Duke...there's always a King. :mad: :rolleyes:

BBBD: Unfortunatly none know - I have to build up enough provinces to go kingdom first. Though I'm sure he'll still be at war by then. ;)

King of Men: Thank you, that means a lot. :) The short nature of episodes comes about from the update a day system I've fallen into on my previous AAR ('The Patriot's Sword'). Each piece generally is a self contained snapshot of two characters or a situtation - there is rarely time or space to do much else. :eek:o

Draco Rexus: Thank you. :) As for who becomes king - I can see it going either way at this point. An 'early' Kingship (say the 1380's) under Maurice is possible. At the latest I'm aiming for 1418 - I'm thinking of continuing in EU II.

coz1: Not in my Pisa game. But mostly yeah. :( Still Duchies are the best - enough kick to be interesting but fragile enough to be vunerable.

Part 14: To The Purple

blarney.jpg

Above: FitzGerald Castle, Baltimore

Mary was pregnant again to Maurice's considerable relief. It had been three years since the birth of their tragic daughter and he had been worried that they would never have a second child. Something Maurice could not condone and for a while dark thoughts had swirled in the maelstrom of his mind. Yet it come to nothing for she had come into child in the August of 1361.

The Ducal family had moved temporarily to the newly completed castle in the Desmond town of Baltimore, to the irritation of the court which found itself having to journey cross country to conduct business at the whim of their master (where among other sights that greeted them was a new castle being built in Meath close to Tara - proof if any were needed of the Duke's determination to pass his policies).

Eleanor absorbed this as her carriage slowly rolled on to Baltimore, with keen interest.

"I doubt the Meath landholders are too happy, do you?" she smirked conspiratorly at her colleague.

But her colleauge only nodded glumly. Paul O'hEachthighearna was not by nature a cheerful man but he seemed infitiely more melancholy of late - for reasons that surpased her understanding. As far as she could tell his finances were in much sounder state than they had been and he had abandoned his reckless gambling habits. Why then so glum? Sure he was not the marshal but he still had voice in court - and Eleanor of all people knew that many people would (litterally) kill for that. It was a mystery, though not one she paid too much attention too, having more important issues on her mind.

Paul had not actually wanted to go on this trip but his paymasters had insisted, ordering him to spy in case anything important came up and what they wanted was written in stone. They hadn't cracked the whip too loudly yet but he was under no illusions that eventually he'd be asked to fall under his political sword for them. And he knew he'd have no choice to do so. What a life...

It had been better being in merely monetary debt.

*​

Richard FitzGerald, Maurices second son was born on the 14th of April 1362. He seemed very healthy. So now the question arose, assuming they both survived, which son to make heir?

richard5ha.jpg
Above: A second potential heir.