• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How convenient.

Nicely played, my friend, nicely played.

One has to question, however, just how long dear Maud is going to be able to keep this up. Only time will tell, eh?

wow intresting to say at least nice storytelling also

Maud looks like she is still in her prime, in terms of child bearing. Wonder what kind of child would be conceived by them? Manipulative and mad, now that's a great combo!!

isnt madness inheretable, i always got that impression in my games

not much i guess ad would make a nice story ;)

Draco Rexus: Only time indeed! :)

Dhimmi: Thank you. I'm not sure if madness is inheritable - does it lower fertility I wonder?

prussiablue: Hah, true! :D

J. Passepartout: What indeed? ;)

Part 38: All Change

Eleanor%20of%20Aquitaine.gif

Above: Maud, Duchess of Meath (from a Victorian illustration)

With Maud married to the Duke and the old Ossorry faction thrown into dissary since the death of Phillipa and others, practically the only real rival to Maud's complete dominance was her former brother-in-law Henry, diocese Archbishop of Dublin.

Henry had not had a good few years: his basically sound plan for playing Eurphrosine and Maud against each other while ingrating himself with his nephew had been overtaken by events and he had been unable to break through with either Eurphrosine's old faction or the newcomers - Maud's dominance was far too tight.

However two factors would soon emerge that would offer a chance back into the seat of power - at least temporarily.

Firstly Maud's marriage to the Duke had ruffled many more feathers than it had appeared on surface; many other courtiers were nervous over the near total control over Richard the new Duchess enjoyed and in some this nervousness was combined with a strong sense of resentment. By the beginning of 1388 some of these malcontents began glancing around for other options... the obvious alternative of course being Archbishop Henry.

Still all this might have come to nothing if something beyond the control of even Maud de Courtenay took place: England once again went to war with France. The calls for vassals came through - to the deep resentment of much of the court. The Duchy was very tired; still hesitantly recovering from the plague (which maintained a grip on many areas) and in a state of perpetual political crisis. The prevailing mood was strongly inclined to refuse the English demands point blank.

Maud however arrogantly overuled these concerns; why rock the political status quo when all Edward wanted was a measly few troops?

That the status quo entirely suited her and she at least would not have to fight was not lost on many...

*​

The Palace Coup of September 1388 had been building out of these frustrations for a long time but it's immediate cause was the arrival of a representative from England, Lord Worcester to demand in person more troops.

Wildly exaggerated rumours of the lavish entertainments Maud provided for this arrogant Englishman merged with other... rumours (well, Lord Worcester was quite a handsome man...) and circled around the frustrated courtiers. Boiling point had been reached.

On the night of the 18th Henry invited a group of the disaffected to his house. None of them were particularly important with the doubtful exception of one of Richard's oafish younger brothers and certainly none held an position at court. But they were angry and looking for a leader, and Henry smooth talking and manipulative was it. As the wine flowed freely Henry made a speech condeming Maud's 'cowardice'.

"Yet," he sighed deeply, "I am but one man. How can I defend the Duchy from the rot within? Who will do what must me done?"

As one the courtiers roared in drunken cheer: "Us!", and set out to topple Maud.

Thus the Duchess found herself suddenly taken from her room and hurled into the dungeons of Dublin Castle to the cheers of the court mob. Seeing the strength of feeling running against her even Maud's staunchest supporters thought better than making more than a token bleat of protest. By unanimous vote Archbishop Henry was appointed regent.

The coup goverment would end up lasting exactly 22 days.

intresting ... i hope it doesnt backfire

btw i think madness is inheritable; im playing as the count of valladolid atm and my count is mad and 4 out 5 of his childeren are mad also

besides of that hes grandmother was mad; then skipped 1 generation

so out of 4 counts only 2 where sane,the problem isthe occasional killingspree they go on and that eliminates all my capable courties. (being surounded by muslims doesnt help either ) the madness came into my family with the grandmother adaughter of the king of pisa.

soim starting to thinkmadness inheritable :wacko:

Maud dabbled a little too playfully, if you ask me. But her days are not done, at least I don't think they are. But Henry certainly has an upper hand here. Can he do anything with it? 22 days is not very long for a coup. I guess what matters is what comes out of those 22 days.

J. Passepartout: Well three weeks is a long time in politics...

BBBD: She is a bit isn't she. ;)

Dhimmi: Wow, talk about bad luck! :wacko:

coz1: Indeed, I think Henry might just overplay it himself. :)

Part 39: 22 Days

wolsey_2_md.gif

Above: Archbishop Henry, from a 19th century text.

Henry now found himself master of the Duchy and duitifully began to encourage Richard to pursue his hardline agenda with regards to providing the English troops.

This was certainly not a patriotic matter - Henry like most of his class and background believed himself an Englishman who happened to be born in Ireland and had little trust or liking for the natives. The exhaustion and frustration of many in the Duchy was simply an excellent way to vault into power... and when it died down he could simply give the English king the wretched troops. Henry had supreme confidence in his powers of persuasion - as the unfortunate Maud could bear witness.

"So you see your Grace, King Henry is out to cheat you," he said smoothly, "so it would be very advisable to keep your troops here safely. Don't you agree?"

Richard gave a slightly wild eyed look but nodded. "Yes of course... for safety."

So the troops stayed home and Henry became very popular in court - while quietly reassuring the understandably skittish Worcester that he would get his troops shortly.

*​

Nineteen days after the fall of Maud Henry was feeling sufficently confident to set about his own agenda. He planned to give himself quite a large bishopric to rule - Desmond perhaps and set up a suitable Desmond FitzGerald as heir. However that remained in the future.

With court quiet, Henry decided to time was right to begin softening up the Duke again - with a view to eventually accepting the English demands. Thus he brought along Lord Worcester has living proof the English were harmless.

Unfortunatly he underestimated the effects his words had had on Richard. No sooner had the Duke heard that his visitor was English than he bodily picked up the unfortunate Englishman (who was quite short and slender) and pushed him out the castle window before the horrified onlookers could stop him.

The First Defenestration of Dublin (as it was called) ended more than just Worcester's life, or even Henry's goverment (which promptly collapsed into mindless panic and the restoration of the Duchess just two days later). It also ended Ireland as part of the English crown - ironically at a time when English influence was at it's peak.

For the harried Dubliners realised that with all their heated refusals to send troops and their vocal complaints about the English power over their country, the actions of their Duke (mad or not) could have but one result.

On the 9th October, 1388 the Duchy of Meath found itself at war with the King of England.

war9yv.jpg

Above: Now is the time to strike.

Wunderbra! I can imagine the scene. I love the Mad Duke!

GRRRRRR! I am RICHARD and Richard 3:16 says I just kicked your ass! *cracks open a few tankards of mead and pours them into his mouth*

Good lord, Richard sure didn't like that guy, did he?

War with England is it? Well, good luck on that front.

King of Men: Heh, yeah it is fun! :D

Deaghaidh: Thank you. A mad ruler sometimes comes in use. :)

BBBD: :rofl: Must have missed that in Religous Studies...

coz1: Thank you, I think I'll need it. :)

Part 40: The War (I)

Hobilar02.jpg
Above: Irish horseman in battle, from a 16th century woodcut.

There have been few wars that happened more suddenly than the Anglo-Meath War (1388-1392). It was something that no one had really wanted, let alone planned for and initially at least the athmosphere was one of confusion and fear.

Realising the scale of the disaster Henry buckled to pressure and released Maud from her imprisonment (to the cheers of many who three weeks earlier had been estatic with her downfall). The two factions patched up a shakey truce for the duration of the war - though it was obvious to everyone present that the iron willed Duchess was by far the senior partner in the 'co-regency' (indeed within six months Henry would more or less retire completely from political life).

Despite her earlier reputation for pro-Englishness now that war was actually upon them, Maud swiftly established a reputation of extreme hawkishness, planning with the Marshal (Reginald of Dublin) a truly audacious plan to take the offensive. Maud intended to "bring the war to the enemy."

*​

First was the invasion of the last English stronghold left in Ireland: the Duchy of Connacht based in Galway. With a numerical superiority of more than 4 to 1 the Meathmen crushed the Galway forces in a few weeks, and Galway itself capitulated on the 14th of December. Years early Maurice had made a claim on Galway and now Maud was able to reproduce this claim publicly. Galway was promptly absorbed into the Duchy of Meath.

Successful though this campaign had been it was as nothing compared with the plans for the following year (1389). Reginald with the entire available army of over 9,000 men was to invade Britain itself. He and Maud were counting that, with the bulk of the English army in France they would meet relatively little resistance.

Before the invasion could take place however the Bishop of Laigin revolted. Ironically he had been placed there by Duke Nicholas as a loyal replacement for Henry, but having grown increasingly disturbed over the past two years by the madness of the Duke, the infighting in court and now war with England he could take no more. The rebellion lasted under a month: Reginalds grizzled veterans simply turned South and swept aside the enemy.

So the delayed invasion took place and after capturing Perfeddwlad (another claim that much earlier come into Maurice's possession) marched across England, meeting little opposition. On the 3rd July the Meath Army reached the walls of London and began to lay siege.

1666.jpg

Above: The Sack of London, 23rd September 1389

For over two months the Londoners resisted the siege heroically, causing considerable anxiousness in the Meath camp who worried over a returning English army. But it was not to be; though London's population had shrank to a mere 40,000 after the Black Death it was still far too many to support and eventually weakened by disease and hunger the burghers surrendered and the Irish walked in triumph down the streets of the greatest city in England.

From his temporary command post in the Palace of Westminster Reginald sent word back to Dublin asking what to do with the city; obviously the army could not be kept in England indefinitely.

"Sack it before you leave," was the succient response.

Wow.. if you can kiss the English ass, what is there to stop you from claiming the throne.