+ Reply to Thread
Page 168 of 336 FirstFirst ... 68 93 118 143 158 166 167 168 169 170 178 193 218 243 268 ... LastLast
Results 3,341 to 3,360 of 6711

Thread: Fan of the Week: Idhrendur

Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III500k club

And now, it's time to pass this award along. I really wanted to give this to someone who had not previously won, but in looking over the past weeks of my favorite AARs one name stands out clearly: Stuyvesant

Let me be the first to say: Congratulations, Stuyvesant!

Vann
    "Don't hit if it can be honorably avoided, but never hit softly." --Theodore Roosevelt

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

Oooh! An excellent choice, Vann!

Congratulations, Stuyvesant! Together with Stnylan, you win the award for the most thoughtful (i.e. usefully intellectual) commenter!

Great work! Third time winner, too -- but not since 2006, which is surely unjust.

Rensslaer
    Serenity - (V2 v1.3) - An isolationist Japan tries to stay out of everybody's way (Updated July '13)
    Kriegsgefahr (Impending War) - (HOI3/SF/HPP) - Germany attempts to remain at peace! (Updated Apr '13)
    Locarno - Italy vs. Germany (HOI3/SF/HPP) - What if Mussolini stood with France against Hitler?
    The Die is Cast (Roman Civil War) - Caesar will make a name for himself! (Updated June '12)
    Império Novo - An Axis Portugal AAR for HOI 3 (Updated May '13)
    Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian Victoria 1 AAR (Awarded the VictAARian Cross for Jan-Jun 2006)
    Castles In the Sky (Vicky 1) * Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR (EU III) (Updated May '13) * I Am Siam (V2 Minor) (tied for Silver VictAARian Cross for Best AAR completed in 2011) * A Long Time Ago... (HOI 1 Argentina)* Check Rensslaer's Inkwell! (list of online writings)

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k club

Blog Entries
    A most worthy winner. A reader any writer would dearly love to have, for his comments are posts all by themselves.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: A Milanese Education EU3 DW 5.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Stuyvesant! Few better comments come from anyone; thoutful, insightive and never lacking in detail. From what I have seen in A Special Providence, The Longest Night and the start of my own AAR (and may I say it is an honour to have you along), I can see you are most deserving of this award.
    Last edited by robou; 15-04-2009 at 15:44.

Sons of Santiago - Restored Narrative AAR for Victoria II

Last Update: 25/09/2012

-------------------------------------------------
    The Inkwell - All my, and many others, AARs in one place!
    I've Been Canonized! and made Patron Saint of TimeTravellers

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stnylan View Post
    A most worthy winner. A reader any writer would dearly love to have, for his comments are posts all by themselves.
    Hear, hear! A comment from Stuyvesant is always a treat. Well deserved!
    4x WritAAR of the week, Best Character Writer of the Week (for Fu Manchu), June 28th 2006
    Where the Iron Crosses grow (Completed) PDF OscAAR for Best Completed HOI AAR
    Master Plan of Fu Manchu (Completed) PDF
    Empire of Fu Manchu (In progress) PDF x1 Weekly AAR Showcase, AARland Choice AwAARds;Fav.HOI1/2 AAR & Fav.HOI1/2 Narrative,Q2 2006 & Q3 2007
    The Eagle and the Lion (On hold) Golden Readers Choice HOI2 AwAARd, AARland Choice AwAARds-Favourite HOI1/2 AAR, 2005 Q4 and 2006 Q1
    Knights of the Western Empire (On Hold)
    The III Reich in World War III (In progress)

NOP-field present Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    57 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    ImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings Crusade
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Naval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More Edition

Congrats Stuyvesant!

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Always an excellent choice! Stuyvesant is the true definition of Fan. His comments are detailed and always informative. I look forward to them any time I update.

Congratulations, sir! Well deserved.
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Gratz!

Strategy Cognoscenti Demi Moderator Myth's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper Fi

Congrats, Stuyvesant!
    Read about my full body of AAR works here!

Fan of the Week 13/08/09

Romanorum Imperator Augustus asd21593's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

Congratulations, Stuyvesant!
    My AAR Library
    -not writing at the moment-

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3

Congratulations, Stuyvesant!
    Return to Glory: A Germania AAR
    WritAAR of the week for the week of 6-10-07, Favorite New Writer Overall for Q2 2007, Best Character Writer of the Week 7-18-08

The Grand Duchy of Hesse-Darmstadt: A History

200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Conbobulations Stuyvesant!
    Through My Eyes - A TFH AAR (Updated Dec. 23)
    Paradox HOI AAR Contest Runner-Up / Best Character Writer of the Week November 4, 2012

The Sublime State - An Ottoman Empire EU3/MMP AAR (On hold until EU4)
    WritAAR of the Week March 7, 2009 and March 28, 2010 / Best Character Writer of the Week March 26, 2009 / Lord Strange Cookie of British Awesomeness

The Final Crusade - A Knights EU3 AAR
    - WritAAR of the Week April 29, 2007

My DeviantART page

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Rise of PrussiaEU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

945 (EU3, Michigan) in between palm and ring finger
    Blog Entries
    No one but Stuyvesant can make a comment a part of an AAR.
    EU3 Save Suite - your one stop shop for everything related to EU3 savegames.

I want you to contribute to great tools developed for Paradox. See this thread. Help with the parsing or with creating an EU4 Savegame editor

Think you're the best EU3 player? Check out the EU3 Hall of Fame
    Dealt: A polish colonel deals his last hand
    The Swiss Account: The average documentation of the stereotypical Swiss.
    "Cheese ages better than women but money is forever." - Davout
    EU3 Hurt and Heal Archive

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: WarshipsMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiThe Showdown Effect
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Thank you, Vann, for the nod, and thank you to everyone else for the congratulations.

I've been rather absent for the past year, but recently I've tried to read a few more AARs again. And I've been struck (as I alway am, whenever I return after prolonged absence) just how wonderful a place this forum is. The most polite and mature posters (granted, I don't visit OT), all the volunteering that keeps the place going, and of course the rich pickings of AARs.

I think I've said it before, and even if I haven't, it isn't a very imaginative metaphor, but I always feel like a kid in a candy store. After winning one of those 'free shopping spree' prizes.

Whatever the style, whatever the subject, there's probably an AAR about it. And the thing that really blows my mind is: not only do you get to read all this stuff, and it won’t cost you a thing, you also get to interact with the authors! You can tell them what worked really well, you can tell them when you’re confused, you can ask them to elaborate a point, or give some historical background… And then get a response to your response! Oh, and the authors tend to enjoy the interruptions, as well.

<Shakes head in amazement>

Since I've been given this soapbox (really? I wasn't given it? Well, I have it now, and as they say, possession is nine-tenths of the law...), I'll point out a few examples that have entertained me recently (and not so recently).

I'm not usually very interested in pure gameplay AARs, mostly because I'll never be good enough to emulate some of the more outlandish examples, but even I drop in on Kanitatlan's efforts some times. Then again, judging by the post and view counts of his ongoing Magnum Opus, so does everybody else on this forum.

I’m most commonly drawn to history book and/or narrative AARs. There are some very talented people out there, beavering away at their masterpieces, and there’s a lot of entertainment and even enlightenment to be had. For example, I know infinitely more about the political dimensions of the transcontinental railroad in the mid-19th century United States through Director's AARs than I would ever had otherwise. Likewise, I didn’t know a thing about Mexico’s Santa Ana until I read So Far From God by ComradeOm. For a look at an alt-history post-Hitler Fascist Germany with some reasoned speculation as to what would happen (and why), there’s Yogi’s current effort. Granted, these examples won’t appeal to everyone, but whatever your interest, chances are someone is writing about it in a very knowledgeable way.

When it comes to story-driven AARs, I’m eagerly <ahem> awaiting updates to both coz1’s vampire tale and Fiftypence’s The Last Inca. coz1's effort has some interesting character interaction and development, while the mere setting of Fifty's makes for a fascinating read - especially if the story ever gets out of the opening posts.

Finally, there’s the comic AAR. I’m particularly partial to Alfred Packer’s game-spanning chronicle of the Crovan Clan (in CK) and EUIII). It’s not highbrow, it does not make me think or teach me about hitherto unknown historical facts, but it is pretty funny and makes for a great quick relaxing read. Geoffrey Chaucer killing the Emperor in the Imperial outhouse had me in stitches, which might reflect more on my poor taste than anything else.

Finally finally, I’d like to drag an old corpse out of the closet. Yes, I know this technically constitutes thread necromancy, but there are so many great old stories out there, languishing at the bottom of their respective sections. In fact, this great old story was written by none other than the Great Old Storey himself. I apologize for the in-joke, but for those old enough to remember, one mere word should suffice: Crimea. Ah, fond memories... Truly, half of the AAR rightfully belongs in the OT section, but it doesn't matter: there is nobody who can spin a yarn quite as entertaining as Storey.

I could go on and on (anything by Peter Ebbesen, Heagarty’s Gluttonic Knights, coz1’s Into the West, Prufrock451’s To Stand Against The Night, the Macchiavelli multiplayer game in EU2…), but I’m already overdoing it with the links and the misty-eyed reflections. Suffice it to say, there is so much here to read. It’s really easy being a fan of this forum in general and the AARs written on it particular.

Let me close this rambling piece by saying a blanket ‘thank you’ to all the authors writing on the forum, regardless of whether I’ve read your work. You make this a great place to spend some time and I appreciate all your efforts.

And to everyone, whether or not you’re a writer yourself on these boards: read! And comment! It’s the only form of payment we have here, it’s a very small price to pay and it is really appreciated. Oh, and rewarding, too. So do it! It makes everybody happy!

200k clubHoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Congratulations Stuyvesant
    EUIII AAR: The lilies of France
    Awarded Best Character Writer of the Week 25. Feb 2007
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 22. April 2007

HoI2 AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller – A Norwegian AAR
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 25. Sept 2005
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 25. Jan 2006
    Awarded Fan of the Week 26. March 2006, 7. October 2007 and 10. November 2008
    Boer War AAR: Joe’s War- a Boer War AAR

Cisár všetkých Slovákov demokratickid's Avatar
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    Congrats, Stuyvesant!
    Current AAR: Das Vereinigte Königreich von Mitteleuropa - Last Updated: October 19, 2011
    My illustrious Inkwell is right here for your enjoyment!
    AWARDED: Irish Shamrock Cookie by King_Richard_XI
    I'VE BEEN CANONIZED

Europa Universalis 3For The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis IV

There I was minding my own business when the hair on the back of my neck stood up and it felt like someone was walking on my future grave. So sure enough I jumped over to the Paradox forum and found that Stuyvesant and uttered the unutterable, “Crimea”. And here I’d almost convinced myself that my involvement with that sad backwater province was all a horrible dream.

I always enjoyed Stuyvesant’s posts in my AARs because they were always articulate, incisive and even borderline intelligent. Go figure.

Congrats Stuyvesant!

Joe
    The way to a woman's heart is through her stomach.

Desert Tides or how I learned to swim in quicksand Adventure
    A Tall Tale Told on a Cold Night Fantasy

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: WarshipsMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiThe Showdown Effect
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

It's time to pass on the torch (torch, fan, whatever...). In the past week, I've been trying to track people whose comments were either unusually insightful, or prolific, or both.

Turns out, there are quite a few people like that out there. It feels like I can't turn my back or a new comment has been posted by the likes of Comagoosie, democratickid or Enewald, to name but a few. Based on that alone, AARland appears to be in rude health.

While I was wandering down memory lane to pick some AARs for my previous post in this thread, I noticed a related thing. Some of the AARs that I remembered as massively popular when I just got started here, the ones that I thought were the towering classics from the 'Golden Age'? Their post and view counts are positively dwarfed by newer arrivals. It was a bit of a shock to me (what do you mean, Heagarty's 'Tales of the Gluttonic Knights' is not in the top ten most-read EU2 AARs?), but it was also a pleasant surprise: clearly, AARland is busier than ever, which is great, for reader and writer alike.

Anyway, I'm supposed to nominate my successor, no amount of procrastination is going to make that go away...

I already mentioned three very worthy candidates. They all have multiple FotW awards under their belts already. I had a very hard time picking just one, but since a Triumvirate of Fans would be a bit unwieldy (and history teaches us that Triumvirates usually end with at least two members dead), I had to whittle it down. In the end, it came down to - well, a random choice, I guess. My apologies to the others, you really deserved it just as much. My guess is that someone else will do you the honor pretty soon.

Congratulations (once more) to Enewald, who has a staggering 8,300+ posts to his name, in barely one-and-a-half years on these boards!

Enewald, come on down and say some nice things!

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Congratulations to you, Stuyvesant - I seem to somehow have not said this before. Your posts here show why you should be teaching a master class on how to craft a comment.

Some of my best, deepest thinking follows one of your comments. Most of my research precedes them.

And congratulations, Enewald!
    "That which does not kill me, has made a grave tactical error." - Jerry Pournelle

Seven AARs and a picture, too: Director's Inkwell

+ Reply to Thread